Obituaries in 1938

ESPNcricinfo staff

ALINGTON, REV. EDWARD HUGH, who died at Oxford on September 11, aged 81, was in the Westminster School Cricket XI from 1873 to 1876 and played twice in the Oxford Association Football XI. His good play for Hertford College failed to get him a cricket blue.

ANDERSON, MR. THOMAS, died in June, aged 75. While at Merchiston he played both Rugby footbal and cricket for Scotland, the cricket matches being against Ireland and W. L. Murdoch's great Australian cricket team of 1882.

ARMSTRONG, THOMAS, died at his native place, Keyworth, on July 5, aged 66. When on the ground staff at Trent Bridge in the early nineties he played occasionally for Nottinghamshire, and in 1895 he appeared in the Lancashire second eleven.

ARNEIL, MR. JOHN, of Auckland, New Zealand, died on August 11, aged 76. A sound, steady batsman, change bowler and capable fieldsman, he played for Auckland against early touring teams from England and Australia and at one time was captain of Auckland. A good wing forward, he also captained his Province and was president of the Auckland Rugby Union.

ATKINSON, REV. F., died at Eastbourne on February 24, aged 78. He played in the Freshmen's (1889) and Seniors' matches (1890-91), at Oxford and on a few occasions for the University, but did not get a blue. A member of Authentics and Incogniti, he also played for Beckenham and Eastbourne in the best club cricket. He was a good free batsman and medium paced off-break bowler. An assistant master in turn at Loretto and Eastbourne College, he ran the cricket for some time at each school.

BAKER, GEORGE ROBERT, a well known member of the Lancashire eleven from 1887 to 1899, died at Wing, Bucks, on February 6, aged 75. He began first-class cricket for Yorkshire with little success but became a thoroughly good batsman, sound in style and strong in punishing ability. In his best season, 1897, he scored 1,219 runs in county matches, average 35.29. Lancashire were champions that year and only Albert Ward scored more runs. Baker was highest scorer with 87 for the Players at the Oval and at Lord's he made 30 and 39, being number five in a very strong batting side. Next season, Baker was awarded a benefit and, though Yorkshire won by ten wickets on Friday afternoon, so that there was no Saturday gate, the pecuniary results were satisfactory. Of very happy disposition and popular with everyone, George Baker was coach at Harrow for twelve years.

BARKER, MR. KENNETH EDGAR MYLNE, who died on August 6, aged 60, went from Uppingham to Cambridge but did not get his blue. He played once for Surrey, was well known in club cricket, and appeared in the London County Eleven with W. G. Grace.

BAWTREE, MR. JOHN FRANCIS, who died on March 25, aged 64, was a good all-round club cricketer. He was in the Haileybury eleven of 1891 and when Essex became a first-class county in 1895 he played in a few matches for them and occasionally in subsequent seasons, but it was difficult to get a place in a very strong eleven which finished third for the Championship in 1897. A. J. Turner, Percy Perrin, Charles McGahey, Harry Carpenter, C. J. Kortright, H. Pickett, F. G. Bull and Walter Mead were then in their prime and A. P.Lucas, of Cambridge University, M.C.C., and England, who still held his own among the best batsmen, was in the Essex team after playing for Surrey and Middlesex.

BESTWICK, WILLIAM, the Derbyshire professional, died on May 3, aged 62. Of good height and heavy build, he brought all the force associated with his winter occupation as a miner into his right hand bowling so effectively and with such reserve of strength, that he continued in county cricket until his fiftieth year. Appointed to the list of first-class umpires, he remained a familiar figure on the field until last season when illness compelled his retirement.

Bestwick first played for Derbyshire in 1898 and, gradually improving, he three times took over a hundred wickets in a season before 1909 when he preferred league cricket in South Wales. In that way he became qualified for Glamorgan, but resumed his services with Derbyshire after the war, and enjoyed his most successful season in 1921 when 147 wickets fell to him at an average of 16.72 runs apiece. All this work was done in twenty county matches, Derbyshire not having a fixture with the Australians. His best performance was, strangely enough, against Glamorgan to which county he thought of returning. In the match at Cardiff, Derbyshire were 85 behind on the first innings but then Bestwick dismissed all the home side, seven clean bowled, and 193 runs were obtained for the loss of eight men. So Derbyshire snatched a victory on the second day. Bestwick's figures read--I9 overs, 2 maidens, 40 runs, 10 wickets. He bowled unchanged through the innings which realised 106 runs. On the first day Bestwick dismissed four men for 71, his full return in the match being 14 wickets for 111 runs--a remarkable performance for a man of his weight when 45 years old. He could bowl at full speed for long spells because he relied on a short run with the power of his arm and body giving pace to the ball and lift front the pitch. Length and spin were the mainstays of his work.

BIRD, LIEUT.-COL. AUSTIN CARLOS, died on January 4, when nearly 54 years of age. From Malvern he went into the Indian Army and made a lot of runs during his term of service in the East. He played for M.C.C. against Hampshire at Lord's in 1914, but did not often take part in first-class cricket In England.

BOVILL, MR. GEORGE BAXENDALE, of Harrow's 1885 eleven, died on August 30, aged 71. A medium-paced bowler who could turn the ball from leg, he took four wickets for 83 runs and helped to beat Eton by three wickets. For the season his average was 26 at less than 14 runs each. He played rackets for Oxford in the doubles against Cambridge.

BRISTOWE, MR. OMRE CHESSHYRE, died of heart failure when shooting on the Norfolk Broads, on December 27. He left Eton comparatively young without getting into the eleven but, going up to Christ Church, Oxford, he received his blue as a Freshman from F. H. Knott in 1914 and took a prominent part in beating Cambridge by 194 runs. Bowling leg breaks from a good height with a googly at his command, he took five of the first seven Cambridge wickets for 70 runs and in the last innings of the match three for 30. By far the best bowler then at Oxford he, during a good season's work, had a record of 46 wickets at 16.86 runs apiece. He played occasionally for Essex in 1913 and 1914, hard hitting and sure fielding making him a very useful all-round cricketer. After the War, he devoted his spare time to golf, but a weak heart limited his activities and he died at the early age of 43.

BROWNLOW, BRIGADIER-GENERAL D'ARCY CHARLES, C.M.G., C.I.E., D.L., chairman of the Sussex County Cricket Club's General Committee, died on March 31, aged 68. He was a member of M.C.C. and represented Sussex on the Advisory County Cricket Committee. Educated at King's College School, he went through Sandhurst into the Indian Army.

CHRISTIANI, MR. CYRIL M., whose death in the West Indies occurred on April 4, toured England with the West Indies team under the captaincy of G. C. Grant in 1933. He did not take part in any of the Test matches, I. Barrow, a much better batsman, being preferred as wicket keeper. When the M.C.C. side led by R. E. S. Wyatt visited West Indies in 1934-5, Christiani kept wicket in all four Tests. By helping to dismiss seven batsmen in the four matches he bore a useful part in winning the rubber. On that tour, the England batting failed badly against the fast bowling of E. A. Martindale, L. N. Constantine and L. G. Hylton--described by Wyatt as the best combination of its kind in the world. Christiani was in his twenty-fifth year. In February, 1937, for British Guiana Club against East India C.C. he and his brother E. S. Christiani made 296 for the first wicket--a British Guiana record for an opening stand.

COBCROFT, MR. L. T., died at Wellington, New Zealand, on March 9, aged 69. Born in Sydney, he captained the New South Wales team that toured in New Zealand in 1895 and became prominent in New Zealand cricket, taking part in games against touring teams that went out under Lord Hawke, P. F. Warner, and Captain E. G. Wynyard. For the New South Wales team he scored 85 and carried his bat through the innings against Wellington. When New Zealand sent a team to Australia in 1898 he was captain: his best scores were 83 at Hobart, 53 not out at Melbourne; and in 1905 he made 49 against an Australian Team at Wellington. He captained Canterbury, Wairarapa and Wellington at different times. In more recent years he often umpired in matches with overseas teams.

CORT, C. H., who died on January 1, played for Warwickshire when a second-class county in 1887. A right-hand medium paced bowler he took 14 wickets at an average of 21.12.

COUPER, MAJOR GENERAL SIR VICTOR ARTHUR, K.C.B., died suddenly on May 16, in London. He was in the Uppingham eleven in 1875 and 1876.

COWLES, MR. SEWELL ROBERT BURTON, died at Norwich on April 8; born on February 26, 1870, he was 68 years of age. He played cricket for Norfolk, his best score being 85 not out against Durham at Darlington during a tour in which he also did well with the ball, taking 7 wickets for 20 in Northumberland's first innings. For 26 years he was hon. secretary of the Norfolk County F.A. and for almost all that period was on the Football Association Council.

DE MONTMORENCY, MR. REYMOND HARVEY, died on December 19, aged 67. After being at Cheltenham he went to St. Paul's and, following an unusual interval, to Keble College, Oxford. He played both Golf and Rackets for the University against Cambridge before getting his cricket blue in 1899 when in his 28th year. Both Universities were very strong in batting at that time, in the Oxford eleven being R. E. Foster, H. C. Wellington, F. H. Bateman Champain, B. I. T. Bosanquet, H. Martyn and F. P. Knox, while Cambridge, captained by G. L. Jessop--included L. J. Moon. E. R. Wilson, T. L. Taylor, S. H. Day and John Daniell. Scoring 25 and 62, besides taking two wickets, de Montmorency was prominent in a drawn match. His second innings so greatly improved an unfavourable position that Oxford were able to declare. While at Oxford, he played for Hertfordshire and subsequently for Buckinghamshire. He was a master at Eton for 27 years.

DENT, MR. CHARLES HENRY, who was in the Harrow eleven of 1884, died at Axminster on October 23, aged 73.

DEVONSHIRE, THE NINTH DUKE OF, died at Chatsworth on May 6. As President of M.C.C. in 1912, the year of the Triangular Test Tournament, he received King George the Fifth, who watched the cricket for two hours on the second day of the match between Australia and South Africa at Lord's. The Duke took a close interest in Derbyshire cricket and for many years, until the time of his death, when nearly seventy, he was president of the County Club.

DURRANT, MR. ARNOLD STUART, who died in New York, on March 21, aged 67 was educated at University College, London, and, going to the United States in 1890, played cricket for Staten Island, Brooklyn and New York Veterans. He played against M.C.C., lncogniti, and Australian touring teams. In 1913 he headed the batting averages of New York and New Jersey Association. A powerful hitter, his best score was 119 for Staten Island against Richmond County in 1923. He bowled medium pace with break and fielded well in the slips.

EDWARDS, COLONEL CHARLES WILLIAM, D.S.O., late R.A.S.C., died on May 22, aged 54. He played occasionally for Gloucestershire in 1911 and 1912, his best score being 42.

FORD, MR. WALTER ARMITAGE JUSTICE, who was in the Repton eleven, a member of the famous cricketing family, died suddenly, on August 21, aged 77.

FOWKE, MR. JOHN NICHOLLS, died at Christchurch, New Zealand, on April 25, aged 78. The best wicket-keeper of his day in New Zealand, he represented the Dominion against New South Wales in 1895-96 and the Melbourne Club team in 1900. A steady batsman he often helped in a useful stand. He played in 42 representative matches, mostly for Canterbury, but he toured New Zealand with the Auckland side.

GARNIER, REV. EDWARD SOUTHWELL, who went in first for Oxford in 1873 when Cambridge were beaten by three wickets, died on August 8, aged 88. He was in the Marlborough eleven in 1867 and 1868. Three years before getting his blue he scored 146 for the University against Moreton-in-the-Marsh. A good athlete, he won the hurdle race in the inter-university sports in 1871 and 1872; was second in this event next year and also threw the hammer for Oxford in 1872. He was an Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral.

GLOVER, MR. GEORGE KEYWORTH, a member of the first South African team that visited England in 1894, died at Kimberley on November 15, aged 68. A slow right hand bowler, he took 56 wickets at a cost of 17 runs apiece and scored 377 runs by steady batting. He played for South Africa at Capetown in March 1896 against Lord Hawke's team but did nothing of note. In 1894 in a Currie Cup match for Griqualand West against Eastern Province, he took 15 wickets for 68 runs and his highest scores in this Competition were 78 and 76. Born at Wakefield, Yorkshire, on May 13, 1870, he was taken to South Africa when a child.

GOLDIE, MAJOR KENNETH OSWALD, died at Madras, of pneumonia on January 14 in his 56th year. When 13 years of age, for his school at Rottingdean he showed exceptional promise in an innings of 239 not out, and did so well at Wellington that in 1899 he averaged 59, an innings of 140 not out against Free Foresters, who included B. J. T. Bosanquet and two other Oxford blues, being a brilliant display. That season he scored two separate hundreds in a match at Hove for Gentlemen of Sussex against Old Cliftonians and this prepared the way for a place in the County eleven when free from Army duty.

He distinguished himself with several fine innings in Championship matches and in 1901 scored 950 runs, average 32.75. Against Gloucestershire at Hove he made 140, K. S. Ranjitsinhji's 65 being the only other score of note for Sussex. He again excelled in 1907 with 131 against Surrey at Hove-- a grand innings which helped towards an average of 26. An attractive, punishing bats-man and a dashing fieldsman, K. O. Goldie when home on leave from the Indian Army was always welcome in the Sussex eleven during the period when Ranjitsinhji, C. B. Fry, Joe Vine, Albert Reif and E. H. Killick, the present county scorer, were at their best. He went to America with an M.C.C. amateur team for a brief tour in 1907 and headed the batting averages with 34.50.

GRACE, MR. CHARLES BUTLER, the last surviving son of W. G. Grace, died while playing in a cricket match at Hawkhurst, on June 6, aged 56.

GRAY, REV. HORACE, an old Cambridge blue, was found dead in his study at Bradfield on January 20. He was in his 64th year. At Perse school he did well with his fast right hand bowling and after a moderate match at Lord's in 1894 he helped next year in a victory by 134 runs over a very strong Oxford side which included H. K. Foster, P. F. Warner, H. D. G. Leveson Gower, C. B. Fry, G. O. Smith. F. A. Phillips and G. J. Mordaunt. Gray, in that match took six wickets. In the Freshmen's match his analysis showed 12 wickets for 124 (8 for 60 in the second innings) and in the Surrey match he dismissed unaided, Street, Walter Read and Brockwell in the course of four balls. He played county cricket for Cambridgeshire and Devon.

GUSTARD, MR. FREDERICK JOSEPH CHARLES, B.A., the well known cricket statistician, died on April 10, aged 35 after a long illness. He was responsible for keeping the records up to date in the last two issues of Wisden.

HAWKE, MARTIN BLADEN, seventh Lord, died on October 10, in an Edinburgh nursing home after an operation, aged 78.

HELFRICH, MR. BASIL ARTHUR, died of enteric fever at Kimberley on March 6, when less than 19 years of age. He scored 64 and 59 for Griqualand West against the Australians at Kimberley in January 1936, showing such admirable form as a schoolboy that high opinions were expressed about him. A year later he made 109 against Transvaal. He was a useful slow bowler and a brilliant fieldsman.

HENERY, MR. PERCEVAL JEFFERY THORNTON, died on August 10, at Washford, Somerset, aged 79. He twice played in the Harrow eleven against Eton, the second time in 1878, when, thanks largely to his 45 and 7 wickets for 106 runs, Harrow won a splendid match by 20 runs. Twice in the Cambridge eleven when Oxford were beaten, each time by seven wickets, he scored 61 on his first appearance for the Light Blues in 1882 but did not bowl. Of medium height, he was a hard hitting batsman, slow round-arm bowler with decided break and a brilliant fieldsman. Regarded as the best all-rounder of his time at Harrow, Henery played for Middlesex from 1879 to 1894, his best year being 1892 when he averaged 23.12.

HENRY, DR. JOHN NORMAN, died on October 4, at Philadelphia aged 65 years. Captain of the Germantown Club from 1901 to 1911, he played several times for United States against Canada and against visiting teams from England. A sound batsman, he made several centuries in club cricket. During the War he was chief of the Medical Department of Base Hospital 38 A.E.F. in France.

HETHERTON, WALTER, died at Hexham on April 19. A good bowler, he helped Northumberland to head the Minor Counties in successive seasons. The second occasion in 1925 was notable for Hetherton dismissing 91 batsmen at 9.25 runs apiece, his most notable performance being all ten wickets for 52 runs in Yorkshire's second innings at Horsforth. Next year he was in the Minor Counties eleven for the opening match of the Australian tour and dismissed the captain, H. L. Collins.

HOLLINS, SIR ARTHUR MEYRICK, died at Walton-le-dale, Preston, on July 30, aged 62. He was in the Eton eleven 1894-95, played for Oxford against Cambridge in 1899 and went to America with B. J. T. Bosanquet's team in 1901. A very useful bat, he was unlucky on the big occasions but saved many runs by his pace in the field. Three times he ran in the quarter mile race for Oxford against Cambridge. He was chairman of the Preston North End football club from 1922.

HORDERN, DR. H. V., who died on June 17, aged 54, was a googly bowler of exceptional merit. Medical studies limited his appearances in first-class cricket and he could not spare time to visit England with an Australian side but the cables of his doings against the team that went to Australia in the winter of 1911-12 caused a sensation. In the Test matches he took 32 wickets at an average cost of 24.37, an achievement little less remarkable than that of Sidney Barnes who, with 34 wickets at 22.88 apiece, was largely responsible for England winning four matches and the rubber. In the first encounter which England lost on the sixth day by 146 runs Hordern took 12 wickets for 195 runs. By wonderful batting, Hobbs, Rhodes, Hearne and Woolley mastered Hordern for long periods in the subsequent Tests, but the sudden rise of this bowler created a great impression on the players whom J. W. H. T. Douglas led on the field because of the illness of P. F. Warner, who went out as captain of the side.

A useful batsman, Hordern averaged 21.62 in these five matches. In a few Sheffield Shield games for New South Wales Hordern took 18 wickets for less than 14 runs apiece. In 1907 Hordern came over with the Pennsylvania University team and met with great success against the English Schools. He had a bowling average of 9.68 for 110 wickets and scored 391 runs, average 21.72.

HORN, MR. JOHN FRASER, who died on July 3, aged 80. was born in Lanarkshire, and helped to organise the Falkirk club. An extremely fine bat, he was prominent in United States cricket for years after his arrival in 1887. He retained his interest in Scottish cricket, being an honorary member of the Dunfermline club.

HUTTON, MR. CHARLES FREDERICK, who died suddenly at Exmouth on May 9, aged 69, was in the Harrow eleven of 1886.

JARVIS, MR. LEWIS KERRISON, a very well-known Cambridge and Norfolk cricketer, died on May 16, aged 80. After being in the Harrow eleven he got his blue as a Freshman in 1877 and played three times against Oxford without doing himself justice, but he and his brothers, C. J. E. and A. W. Jarvis, raised the standard of Norfolk cricket so high that it was suggested that the County should be promoted to first-class rank. When Norfolk scored 695 against M.C.C. in 1885, then the highest total ever hit at Lord's, L. K. Jarvis, going in first, played a magnificent innings of 181, faultless and free: his brother C. J. E. helped in a first wicket stand for 241 and Hansell, a professional, followed with 136, three separate hundreds and the record total making the match memorable. Jarvis also played Association football and ran in the hurdles for Cambridge against Oxford--a triple blue. He and H. E. Meek won the Public Schools Rackets Challenge Cup in 1876. In the Great War he became a Major in the County of London Yeomanry.

JENNINGS, DAVID JAMES, professional coach and head groundsman at Marlborough College for 34 years, died at the age of 60. Born at Dover, he for a time was groundsman at Exeter with the Devon County Club.

KELLY, MR. JAMES JOSEPH, died in Sydney on August 14, aged 71. A wicket-keeper of pronounced ability he went from Victoria, where J. McC. Blackham held sway, to Sydney, and appeared for New South Wales two seasons before he made, in 1896, the first of his four visits to England. He was highest scorer with 8 when the Australians were dismissed for 18, M.C.C. having revenge for their own fall for 19 in 1878 at Lord's. As successor to Blackham, comparison with this greatest keeper of all time was bound to tell unfavourably for the newcomer, but Kelly was extremely good in the very exacting experience of continually taking such very fast and erratic bowlers as E. Jones and A. Cotter.

With the bat he was capable of forcing the game or defending as needed. In the Old Trafford Test of 1896 he and Hugh Trumble batted an hour for the last 25 runs, Australia winning by three wickets after a terrific struggle against the superb fast bowling of Tom Richardson. Kelly made 103 at Edgbaston in 1899 and 74 out of 112 in an hour for the last wicket at Bristol in 1905. His average in first-class cricket for an aggregate of 4,411 runs was 20. In thirty-three Test matches against England he scored 613 runs, average 17.51, and dismissed 55 batsmen, 39 caught, 16 stumped. He gave up first-class cricket after his visit to England in 1905, because of a damaged finger and heart weakness due to a blow from a ball bowled by Walter Brearley. A benefit match at Sydney in the following January bought Kelly £1,400. By a strange coincidence he died on the same day as Hugh Tremble. There was a difference of only 14 days in the ages of these two very popular Australians who were colleagues on the tours to England in 1896,1899 and 1902.

KNIGHT, MR. ROBERT LOUGHER, who was in the Clifton eleven and played for Oxford in 1878, died at Bridgend on May 22, aged 80. A useful right hand bat and smart field at point or slip, he excelled as a left-arm low delivery medium pace bowler. He took six wickets in the University match, among his victims being Ivo Bligh, who brought "The Ashes" Urn from Australia, A. P. Lucas, who subsequently played for England, and F. W. Kingston; but Cambridge won by 238 runs. He was in the Oxford Rugby fifteen in 1880.

LEVESON GOWER, MR. EVELYN MARMADUKE GRESHAM, died at Winchester on January 25, aged 65. He took five wickets in the 1889 match with Eton, Winchester winning by 114 runs.

LYON, MR. GEORGE SEYMOUR, who died at Toronto on May 11, in his 80th year, played for Canada against Frank Mitchell's University Team in 1895, also against United States, and in other representative matches. In 1894 he created a Canadian record by scoring 238 not out for Rosedale against Peterborough and in the same match took 5 wickets for 17 runs. In 1896 he scored 1,075 runs, average 53.75. A splendid golf player he won the Canadian Amateur Championship eight times between 1898 and 1914 while he gained the Canadian Senior title five years consecutively from 1918.

MCALISIER, MR. PETER A., died at Melbourne on May 10, in his 69th year. When vice-captain to M. A. Noble in 1909, it was said that he should have come to England ten years before. Certainly it was asking a lot of a batsman to reveal his best form under fresh conditions at the age of 40, and, though showing signs of stylish skill, he scored no more than 816 runs on the tour with a highest innings of 85 and an average of 29. As opening batsman he played in the second and third Tests, both of which Australia won, but 22 was his best of four innings. These two victories after an England success at Birmingham decided the rubber, the matches at Manchester and the Oval being drawn, and it is interesting to recall that Noble was so troubled about opening batsmen that he called upon Cotter, the fast bowler, Warren Bardsley, Frank Laver and S. E. Gregory besides McAlister to go in first against England. McAlister scored 2,398 runs with an average of 32 in Sheffield Shield matches for Victoria, but even in Australia he did little in representative games either in 1903-04, when P. F. Warner's team won the rubber, or four years later when A. O. Jones led an unsuccessful side.

MARKS, MR. GEOFFREY, C.B.E., who died on August 25, was at Whitgift School and kept wicket for Middlesex occasionally in 1894 and 1895.

MASON, MR. JAMES ERNEST, who died on February 8, aged 61, played once for Kent in 1900. A younger brother of John Richard Mason, captain of Kent for several years, James did not fulfil the promise as a batsman shown when at Tonbridge School, but he was a capital field at cover point.

MASSIE, MR. HUGH HAMON, died at Point Piper, Sydney, on October 12, at the advanced age of 83. A remarkably free and attractive batsman, he took a prominent part in the seven runs victory gained by Australia at the Oval in 1882--the first defeat of England in this country which caused such a sensation that it inspired "The Ashes" memorial. Bowlers always held the upper hand in the match except when Australia batted a second time 38 behind. Then Massie, by hitting up 55 out of 66 for the first wicket on wet turf paved the way for the ultimate triumph brought about by the bowling of Spofforth and Boyle. Between showers Australia made only 56 runs after Massie was bowled by A. G. Steel, but England, wanting 85 to win, were dismissed for 77 on the drying pitch.

Nearly six feet in height and very active, Massie was a wonderful forcing batsman with drives and cuts his most effective strokes in hitting bowlers off their length. He went to the pitch of the ball whenever possible and did not mind lifting his drives--he was invaluable on treacherous turf. He fielded brilliantly anywhere, and held the most difficult catches in amazing style. He began his England experience by scoring 206 out of 265 against Oxford University, getting his second hundred while his partners contributed 12 runs between them. Altogether in first-class matches during the tour, Massie scored 1,403 runs, average 24. He played many fine innings for New South Wales, but his position in a Sydney bank prevented him from accepting invitations for other tours to England. When on a private visit in 1895 Massie was made an honorary member of M.C.C. He then played for the Club against Kent, and in the match celebrating the Jubilee of I Zingari he was in the Gentlemen of England eleven.

MITCHELL, WILLIAM, who died at Leeds on April 19, aged 62, was an effective fast bowler in Lancashire club cricket and for Yorkshire second eleven. In a game at Pateley Bridge he did the hat trick by dismissing such noted county players as George Hirst, Schofield Haigh and David Denton with successive balls while taking five wickets for one run.

MORDAUNT, MR. EUSTACE CHARLES, died on June 21, aged 67. He headed the Wellington College averages with 35.10 in 1889, having played previously for Hampshire when 16. In subsequent years he appeared occasionally in the Middlesex and Kent elevens without doing anything exceptional. ln 1914 he went to Egypt with I Zingari. A prominent fast bowler in club cricket he bowled down all ten wickets of Kensington Park Hockey Club at a cost of only 9 runs on April 28, 1894, in St. Quentin Park, London.

MOSES, MR. HARRY, was one of the best Australian cricketers who never came to England. This misfortune could be attributed to the fact that, no matter how well he played for New South Wales and other sides against English touring teams, his highest scores for Australia against England were 33 and 31 in the six matches for which he was chosen. English players regarded his left-handed batting as of the highest class and regrets were expressed that English lovers of the game did not have an opportunity of seeing him. The 1888 team under P. S. McDonnell might have found such a capable run-getter invaluable during a somewhat disastrous tour, and his omission two years later also was criticised. He died on December 7, in Sydney, aged 80.

NICHOLLS, MR. CHARLES HENRY, who was in the Winchester eleven of 1884-85, died at Oxford on January 15, aged 71.

NOEL, MR. JACK, who made 18 of the 23 runs scored in the first innings of the match between South Australia and Victoria at Melbourne in 1883, died on January 9 in his 80th year.

PATIALA, THE MAHARAJA OF, President of the Cricket Club of India, died on March 23, at the age of 46. At the opening of the Brabourne Stadium, Bombay, when Lord Tennyson's team played there in December 1937, the Maharaja expressed the hope that " the Stadium will become to India what Lord's ground is to England." That was typical of his keen interest in cricket when poor health compelled him to give up active participation in the game at which he was proficient as a free scoring batsman and keen field. His successor, the Yuvaraja of Patiala, playing for India, was top scorer with 24 and 60 in the third representative match against D. R. Jardine's team at Madras in 1934, and also did well against Lord Tennyson's side.

PHILLIPS, MR. GERALD COURTNEY, who was in the Marlborough eleven, 1904, died in London on January 26, aged 51.

POLHILL-TURNER, MR. CECIL HENRY, who died in London on March 9, aged 78, was in the Eton eleven of 1878 when the two chief school matches were won by Winchester and Harrow. Forsaking an Army career, he became one of the "Cambridge Seven" who went to China as missionaries, the most famous of these athletes being C. T. Studd, who played for England in the 1882 Test, and, one of the best batsmen of the time, went in last but one when Australia won by 7 runs.

RICE, MR. REGINALD WILLIAM, died at Bedford on February 11, in his 70th year. Born at Tewkesbury, he played for Gloucestershire in 1890, three years before being given his Oxford blue by L. C. H. Palairet. Both Universities were very strong at that time. C. B. Fry, G. J. Mordaunt and H. D. G. Leveson Gower were in the Oxford eleven besides the brothers Lionel and R. C. N. Palairet, while Cambridge, captained by F. S. Jackson, now Sir Stanley, included K. S. Ranjitsinhji, A. O. Jones, James Douglas, A. J. L. Hill, E. C. Streatfield, C. M. Wells and L. H. Gay. Cambridge won by 266 runs. This was the match in which C. M. Wells gave away eight runs by bowling wides in order to frustrate the apparent desire of Oxford to follow-on so that Cambridge would have to bat last. This incident and a repetition three years later brought about the change in the law placing the question of the follow-on at the option of the side who, having batted first, held a lead authorising them to enforce the law.

A steady batsman with admirable defence, Rice played for Gloucestershire until 1903 and when at his best he often opened the innings with W. G. Grace. He made some centuries, but never played a more valuable innings than his 82 not out at Bath in 1900. Going in first with 210 wanted for victory, Rice was missed in the slips when the game was a tie, the ball went to the boundary and Gloucestershire won by one wicket six minutes from time. The next highest score in the match was 66 by Lionel Palairet for Somerset, Rice's captain at Oxford.

After being a master at Forset School, Rice continued his scholastic career at Bedford and played for the County. He had a curious experience at Bury St. Edmonds in 1909 against Suffolk. The game was a tie with three Bedfordshire wickets to fall. Rice was indisposed and, though coming from his hotel, he did not have the opportunity to make the winning hit. All three wickets fell at one total and the match was a tie.

RICHARDSON, SAMUEL, who played for Derbyshire in the seventies of last century and for sixteen years was assistant secretary of the County Cricket Club, died in Madrid in March at the advanced age of 93. A little man, he earned some fame as a wicket-keeper and batsman. He also was secretary of the Derby County Football Club.

ROBERTSON, MR. W. R., died in June, aged 76. He played for Victoria in 1884-85 against Alfred Shaw's team, scoring 33 for once out and taking eight wickets in the match for 82 runs. Wilfred Flowers, of Nottinghamshire, dismissing eight men for 88 inVictoria's second innings, helped the Englishmen to win by 118 runs. For the Combined eleven of Australia, beaten by ten wickets at Melbourne, Robertson got only 2 runs and was unsuccessful with the ball. He did not play for the full strength of Australia in the other three matches--all five were eventually included as "Tests." Robertson went to America in 1888 and, returning to Australia after ten years, played in minor cricket for several seasons.

ROSS, MR. HAMILTON, who died at his birth-place, Grenada, British West Indies, on March 29, aged 90, played for Somerset and was a prolific scorer for Incogniti, Lansdown and M.C.C. He made 101 for Gentlemen against Players of Sussex at Hove in 1869; in 1871, hit six centuries, ranging from 107 to 188; in 1876, eleven centuries: in 1877, nine centuries; while in 1883 he played four consecutive three-figure innings in the course of ten days. That year he headed the Marylebone Club averages with 59. He hit up 216 for Somerset against Emeriti in 1879 and on August 31, 1876, in a match between Shanklin and Ryde visitors, he made 291. These performances were all exceptional in those days even if the bowling and fielding were inferior on some occasions. He kept wicket efficiently.

SAMPLE, MR, CHARLES HENRY, Who died on June 2, aged 75, played for Northumberland after leaving Edinburgh Academy, but was best known as a Rugby footballer. For three seasons he was in the Cambridge fifteen, played for Northumberland and three times for England.

SANDERSON, MR. JOHN TUNSTALL, died on July 18 at Lancaster, aged 71. He was in the Harrow eleven of 1885 and from 1888 to 1925 closely associated with the Lancaster club, being captain for thirty years.

SCOTT, MR. JOHN G. a most prominent personality in North of Scotland cricket, died at Huntly on May 21 in his 56th year. He was a member of Huntly C.C. for forty seasons. A fast scoring left-handed hat, he frequently assisted Aberdeenshire in county matches. In 1920 he made 100 in 62 minutes, a performance which enabled Aberdeen to get 142 runs against time and beat Perth.

SEALE, MR. WILLIAM BERESFORD, who died on March 22 at White Plains, New York, aged 80, was born in Barbados, and after doing well in the Lodge School and Codington College elevens he went to the United States in 1878 and played for Brooklyn. A hard hitter, he fielded smartly and could keep wicket.

SHELTON, MR. ALBERT WILLIAM, a close follower and strong supporter of cricket, died at his home in Nottingham on September 10, aged 75. Taken ill, when packing his bag preparatory to making his customary visit to Scarborough for the Festival, he never rallied. An estate agent, he was a leading authority on housing and town planning. Apart from professional duties, his chief interest was cricket; and particularly the Nottinghamshire County Club to which he belonged, as member, committeeman, and president, during more than fifty years of his busy life. Mr. Shelton and Mr. J. A. Dixon, captain of the County eleven for many seasons last century, shared the distinction of being elected honorary life members of the Committee. Mr. Shelton wrote the history of the Trent Bridge ground for last year's Wisden and preferred that his share in arranging for purchasing and improving the ground should not be mentioned. He used to recall memories of all the Australian visiting teams from personal knowledge as a spectator, and in this historical vein he was mainly instrumental in collecting the cricket curiosities and library in the Trent Bridge pavilion. Always considerate for the welfare of professional players, he was pioneer in the insurance of benefit matches against interference by weather.

STANCOMB, CAPTAIN ARTHUR JOHN GRAHAME, died on December 27, aged 78. If not successful in getting into the Harrow eleven, as did his younger brother, Frederick William, who died in 1936, Grahame Stancomb was a very good cricketer and became a regular member of the Wiltshire County eleven which his brother captained before becoming president of the club. As a forward, he played football for Harrow, for Trowbridge, his native town, and his county, and during nearly forty years was President of the Wiltshire F.A.

STREATFIELD, COLONEL SIR HENRY, Equerry to King Edward VII, private secretary to Queen Alexandra for fifteen years and the oldest Grenadier, died on July 26 at Chiddingstone, Kent, aged 81. He was President of the Kent County Club in 1926, having then been a member of M.C.C. for about fifty years.

SWAN, CAPTAIN W. D., who lost his life in the Jersey Air disaster on November 4, played for the Island team, when he was at Victoria College, against the M.C.C. visiting teams on several occasions.

TABERER, MR. WALTER STRINGFELLOW, died at Bulawayo, on February 9, aged 65. For Rhodesia he scored well against a strong side of amateurs captained by H. D. G. Leveson Gower in March 1910. His elder brother, H. M. Taberer, was at Oxford University and played for Essex besides being prominent in South African cricket.

TALBOT, THE RIGHT HON. SIR GEORGE JOHN, who died at Edenbridge on July 11, aged 77, was in the Winchester eleven in 1879 and 1880. He bowled well, but in each match with Eton he was last out, his side losing in turn by 45 runs and 9 runs.

TATHAM, REV. WILLIAM MEABURN, who was in the Marlborough eleven in 1880, died on October 18, aged 76. He played rugby for Oxford from 1881 to 1883 and for England on seven occasions, 1882 to 1884. For 46 years he was vicar of Cantley, Doncaster, where he died.

TROUNCER, MR. CHARLES ALBERT, Who died on March 13 in Anglesey, aged 71 failed to get his blue at Cambridge but played a few times in 1888 for Surrey-then Champion County.

TYLECOTE, MR. EDWARD FERDINANDO SUTTON, one of the best batsman wicket-keepers of all time, died at Hunstanton on March 15, aged 88. He showed such exceptional form as a boy that he was in the Clifton College eleven five years, finishing as captain in 1868. That summer he made the then record score of 404 during three spells of two hours each for Modern vs. Classical, carrying his bat through an innings of 630. He got his blue at Oxford as a Freshman and his second experience against Cambridge was in the "Cobden match." Next year he led the Dark Blues to victory by eight wickets, but in his second season as captain, Cambridge won by an innings and 166, William Yardley setting up a record with his second hundred in University matches. Mr. Tylecote was the oldest living University Captain.

When a mathematical tutor at Royal Military Academy, Tylecote played for Kent and perhaps his best performance for the County was a perfect not out hundred against the 1832 Australian team, when T. W. Garrett--still alive, aged 80--and G. E. Palmer were carrying all before them. W. H. Patterson, the present chairman of the Kent County Committee, played a fine second innings in the same match. Tylecote also assisted Bedfordshire, the county of his birth.

Tylecote went to Australia at the end of the 1882 season with the Hon. Ivo Bligh's team which won two out of three matches against W. L. Murdoch's touring side. He scored 66 in the deciding encounter which gave the Englishmen the rubber. Played for his wicket-keeping in the 1886 matches against Australia at Lord's and the Oval he helped in two victories, each by an innings. He appeared several times for the Gentlemen against the Players during a period of sixteen years, ending with that of 1886 when, though 37 years of age, he was probably at his best behind the stumps. He showed exceptionally fine form against the Players at Lord's in 1883, his 107 being a faultless display of two and a half hours' stylish batting, notable for offside strokes made with delightful ease. He was only the sixth batsman to hit a century at Lord's for the Gentlemen, the first having been William Ward in 1825.

When keeping wicket he stood close up unless the bowling was exceptionally fast. By his quiet, unobtrusive taking of the ball under the difficult conditions of rough wickets he was very reliable both in catching and stumping. He was one of the first wicket-keepers who dispensed with a long stop. Two brothers of E. F. S. Tylecote, C. B. L., and H. G. both good cricketers, died within a few days of each other in March 1935, aged 88 and 82 respectively; like E. F. S. both captained the Clifton eleven and H. G. was in the Oxford eleven, 1874-77.

WEST, WILLIAM ARTHUR JOHN, a popular member of the groundstaff at Lord's for many years and a first class umpire, sometimes "standing" in Test matches, died on February 22, aged 75. After playing as an amateur for Northamptonshire, he turned professional in 1886 and was engaged at the Oval for two seasons. Then he joined the M.C.C. staff and continued to assist Northamptonshire until 1391 when he helped Warwickshire, the county of his birth, his best performance with the ball being five wickets for seven runs against Cheshire. All these counties were at that time second-class. Over six feet tall and powerfully built, 'Bill' West was a fast bowler and hard hitter. In the 'eighties' he excelled as an amateur boxer, winning the Queensbury Cup in 1884, and next year the Amateur Boxing Association heavy-weight cup.

WILSON, MR. CHARLES PLUMPTON, a remarkable all-round athlete died on March 9, aged 78. After two years in the Marlborough cricket eleven he played for Cambridge against Oxford in 1880-81 when both Universities were very strong. A free batsman, and medium-paced bowler, Charles Wilson did little in first-class cricket matches, but he was a very good Rugby forward in the Cambridge team from 1877 to 1880, finishing as captain in a drawn game with Oxford. He played Rugby for England against Wales in 1881 and three years later, 1884, was right half back in the England Association eleven against Wales and Scotland, so enjoying a unique distinction for a University blue. R. H. Birkett, Clapham Rovers and J. W. Sutcliffe, Heckmondwike and Bolton Wanderers, supply two other instances of men playing for England under both football codes. In 1878 he rode in the 25 miles Bicycle race for Cambridge against Oxford.

C. P. Wilson played cricket for Norfolk, his native county and in 1884 headed the batting averages with 36. He made many runs in club cricket and in August 1880, scored 224 not out for Trinity against St. John's in an inter-long vacation club match. After being an assistant master at Elstree, he became head of Sandroyd Preparatory School, Cobham, where among his pupils was Mr. Anthony Eden--so famous as Foreign Minister in the Governments of Earl Baldwin and Mr. Neville Chamberlain.

WOODHOUSE, MR. W. H., a useful batsman, who played for Yorkshire in 1884-85, died on March 4, aged 80.

WOOLLEY, GEORGE, identified for 41 years with the Philadelphia Club, died on October 24, aged 71. Born in Nottingham, he learned the game in the best cricket atmosphere and appeared for the Colts of the County. In 1897 he went to Philadelphia. became coach at Haverford College, and was superintendent at St. Martin's ground. A good bat, he made 124 against l. Zingari in 1900.

WYNYARD, MR. W. T., died on March 15, at Wellington. He played both for Wellington and Auckland against visiting teams from New South Wales over fifty years ago. His best score was 62 for Auckland against the Fijians in 1895. Besides being a free and attractive batsman, he was an excellent fieldsman. A member of the Native football team which toured England in 1888-89, he showed brilliant form at centre three-quarter back. His father, Colonel Wynyard of the 57th Regiment, went out from England to quell the Waikato Native War. He was related to Major E.G Wynyard of Hampshire.


BARNBY, COLONEL ARTHUR CHARLES, O.B.E., Royal Marines, died suddenly at Rochester Airport on October 30, 1937, aged 56. He played for Royal Navy v. The Army in 1913.

BEADLE, LIEUT.-COMMANDER, R.N., died on July 24, 1937, suddenly, at Reading Street near Tenterden. A good bat he played once for Hampshire in 1911 and the following year was in the Royal Navy eleven against The Army at Lord's.

CASTLE, MR. SIDNEY, who died at Plymstock, Devon, on December 5, 1937, aged 73, played a few times for Kent from 1890 to 1893. A free scorer on fast wickets, with good style, he made many hundreds for Charlton Park and in August, 1901, he scored four consecutive centuries. In 1892 he played his highest innings, 200, against Surbiton and District.

L'ANSON, JOHN, a very useful all-round cricketer, who played for Lancashire with varying success from 1896 to 1908, died at Eccleston near Chester on September 16, 1936, aged 66. For some fifteen years, he had been head gardener on the Duke of Westminster's estate at Eaton Park. A medium-paced bowler and steady batsman, he never fulfilled expectations, though in 1902 he averaged 26.23 for 341 runs and took 49 wickets at 19.12 apiece. His best innings was 110 not out against Surrey at Old Trafford. He was not required often in 1904 when Lancashire's very powerful side carried off the Championship.

MANFIELD, MR. WILLIAM HARDY, died at Weymouth on August 13, 1937, aged 77. He was in the Dulwich College eleven four Years, and played for Dorset from 1885 to 1902, being honorary secretary of the County Club for many years until 1908.

MAUNES, MR. CHARLES THOMAS, who died at Coatbridge in December, 1937, aged 74, played for Drumpellier from 1888 to 1914, for Perthshire for 23 years and on many occasions for Scotland.

MOODY, MR. CLARENCE P, author of "Australian Cricket and Cricketers 1856-1893-4," died on November 29, 1937, aged 70. As "Point" he was a well-known writer on the game He accompanied the 1890 Australian team to England.

PARKIN, MR. DURANT CLIFFORD, who came to England in 1894 with the first South African team, died on March 20, 1936, aged 65. A medium-paced right arm bowler, he played for Eastern Province, Transvaal and Griqualand West. Against W. W. Read's team of 1891-92 he took five wickets for 27 runs and in the only representative match, which was played at Capetown, he took three wickets for 82 in a total of 369.

PARSONS. MR. HERBERT F., of Melbourne, died on December 20, 1937. After playing for Richmond he was associated in the East Melbourne Club with P. A. McAlister, F. J. Laver, and E. A. McDonald and sometimes appeared for Victoria. A steady left-hand batsman and slow right-band bowler, he was a useful all-round cricketer.

PATERSON, LIEUT-COLONEL ARTHUR SIBBALD, D.S.O., who died in 1937 at Burnham-on-Sea, aged 59, played twice for Somerset in 1903.

PORTER, REV. ALBERT LAVINGTON, who died at Tiverton, Devon, on Dec. 14, 1937, aged 73, played for Somerset and Hampshire. He was at Marlborough College and Cambridge University.

SHOUBRIDGE, THOMAS, died on October 22, 1937, aged 68. Over forty years ago he was one of the best bowlers on Merseyside and played for Liverpool and District against Yorkshire in 1890. Though not very successful in this match he clean bowled Lord Hawke with "one out of the bag," a delivery which even now lingers in the memory of at least one spectator. Sussex born, he played for his County at Old Trafford in 1890 when Lancashire scored 246 for two wickets and, having declared, dismissed their visitors on a treacherous pitch for 35 and 24. Shoubridge bowled 13 overs for 25 runs, an example of length under bad bowling conditions. After a blank Monday the match was played out on two afternoons. With a round arm delivery, Shoubridge made the ball keep low. A. T. Kemble often stood back to him though capable of stumping batsmen off Mold's lightning deliveries.

SWINSTEAD, MR. FRANK HILLYARD, R.B.A., F.S.A.M., died on December 6, 1937, aged 75. A fine, free scoring batsman in club cricket, he played for M.C.C. against Worcestershire at Lord's in 1900.

WATSON, MR. GEORGE, who died on November 26, 1937, at Scarborough at the advanced age of 93, was a member of the town club for 60 years. In 1869 he played in the first match arranged by C. I. Thornton at Scarborough and in 1830 he captained the I8 of Scarborough and District side who beat the Australians by 90 runs.

© John Wisden & Co