Obituaries in 1925

ESPNcricinfo staff

AKROYD, MR. SWAINSON HOWDEN, born at Streatham on February 13, 1849, died in London on December 5, aged 76. A sound batsman with excellent style, and a good field anywhere, he was in the Hadley Eleven in 1865 and two following years. Between 1869 and 1878 he took part in twenty-three matches for Surrey. He made 622 runs with an average of 15.55 for the county, his highest scores being 87 v. Sussex at Brighton in 1872 and 62 v. Oxford University at the Oval in 1869. Among other noteworthy innings played by him were 76 for Gentlemen of England v. Cambridge University at Cambridge in 1870, and 133 for Southgate v. Huntingdonshire at Southgate in 1873. His brother, Mr. B. N. Akroyd, also appeared in the Radley and Surrey Elevens.

APPLETON, MR. CHARLES--"A fine bat, combining both hit and defence. A fair wicket-keeper" -- was born on May 15, 1844, and died at Bradley Hall, Standish, near Wigan, on February 26, aged 80. He was a member of the Rossall Eleven of 1861, and four years later appeared in three matches for Yorkshire. He also played for the All England Eleven against XXII of Leeds and District in October, 1862. For a time he was captain of the Richmond (Surrey) C.C. An all-round athlete, he excelled at running, pole- jumping and putting the stone. By profession he was a solicitor.

ASHWELL, MR. ARTHUR THOMAS, who was born at Nottingham on February 8, 1853, died at Canterbury on September 30, aged 72. A useful batsman and a good fieldsman at mid-off and cover-point, he was a member of the Rugby Eleven in 1870 and was tried for Nottinghamshire in 1876.

ATTFIELD, DR. GEORGE COOKE, who was born at Bath on January 27, 1826, died at Hove on January 16, within eleven days of his 99th birthday. He played a little county cricket for both Somerset and Surrey and later kept up the game in West Australia.

BAINES, MR. MATTHEW TALBOT, who was born at East Molesey, in Surrey, on September 19, 1863, died at Heron's Wood, Beckley, Sussex, on May 6. He was a good batsman, a useful fast bowler and a splendid field at point. His early cricket was played at Elstree, and he was a member of the Harrow Eleven in 1881, when he won the Ebrington Cup for fielding. In his match against Eton he scored 13 and 17. At Cambridge he made 104 and 48 not out in the Freshmen's match of 1883, but he did not obtain his Blue. He was 6ft, 3ins. in height, and in 1881 was a member of the Harrow Football Eleven.

BARRYMORE, 1ST LORD (ARTHUR HUGH SMITH-BARRY), was born at Leamington on January 17, 1843, and died in London on February 22, aged 82. He was not in the Eleven either at Eton or Oxford,but he played frequently for 1 Zingari and also assisted Warwickshire, Cheshire and Gentlemen of Ireland. For Cheshire against Shropshire at Shrewsbury in 1864 he played an innings of 129. He was M.P. in turn for Co. Cork (1867-74) and South Huntingdonshire (1886-1901), and in 1902 was raised to the Peerage. He was a useful wicket-keeper.

BELOE, MR. HARRY WILLOUGHBY, born on September 21, 1848, died at Clifton, Bristol, on July 9, aged 76. Whilst at Marlborough he was not in the Eleven, but he played cricket for his House and was in the football XX of 1865. For many years he was Chairman of Committee of the Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. He was father of Messrs. G. H. and G. C. Beloe, who obtained their colours for Marlborough and Repton respectively.

BENDLE, MR. ERNEST, who died at Pinner on February 13, aged 58, was a member of the Sedbergh Eleven from 1881 until 1884, being captain in his last year. Later he played for Kensington Park, for whom he made three centuries in 1898 and 1899, and he also appeared occasionally for Cumberland.

BEST, DR. LESLIE W., a very useful all-round cricketer, (died in Sydney Hospital on August 27, at the early age of 31. He had been captain of the Eleven both at The King's School, Parramatta, and Sydney University, and had played an innings of 138 against Melbourne University. His club cricket was played for the Central Cumberland C.C., and he had been tried for New South Wales.

BLACK, MR. ABRAHAM E., born at Brampton, Ontario, on August 4, 1850, died in Toronto on October 17. A steady batsman and a good field, he played for many years with the Parkdale C.C., of Toronto. He died suddenly whilst playing golf at the Mississauga Golf Club.

BRIDGES, MR. JOHN HENRY, who was born at Horsham on March 26, 1852, and died at Eastbourne on February 12, was described in Scores and Biographies as "A free hitter and fields well, generally at long-leg, cover-point or at long-step. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1868 and three following years, but in his four matches against Eton he scored only 55 runs in seven completed timings. Whilst at Oxford he represented the University at Association football but not at cricket, and in 1876 he appeared in one match for Surrey. He was a member of the Royal Company of Archers (the King's Bodyguard for Scotland) and Champion Archer in 1905. In 1919-20 he was High Sheriff of Surrey.

BRUCE, MR. WILLIAM, born at South Yarra, in Victoria, on May 22, 1864, was found drowned near Melbourne on the 4th of August. Though in later years put quite in the shade by Clem Hill, Darling Bardsley, and Ransford, Bruce has his place in cricket history as the first left-handed batsman sent to England with an Australian team. Free and attractive in style he was a brilliant hitter, but he lacked the defence of the great batsmen who followed him. Bruce paid two visits to this country, being a member of the 1886 team under H. J. H. Scott, and coming here again in 1893 when Blackham was captain of the side. He did little during the first tour, but he played an innings of 106 against C. I. Thornton's Xl. at Chiswick Park. Seven years later he met with a much greater measure of success, scoring 1,314 runs with an average of 23. He played in all three Test matches, scoring 23 at Lord's, 10 not out and 22 at the Oval, and 68 and 36 at Manchester. One of his best Performances was to make 60 and 37 against Surrey at the Oval, with Richardson bowling in great form, but by those who can carry their memories back to that year he will be remembered chiefly for his great innings of 191 against Oxford and Cambridge Past and Present at Portsmouth, when the Australians put together the huge total of 843. His partnership with Trumble in that match realised 232 runs in two hours and twenty minutes. Bruce was probably at his best in the Australian season of 1891-92, during the visit of Lord Sheffield's team. In the Test matches of that tour he scored 57 and 40 at Melbourne, 15 and 72 at Sydney and, on a wicket ruined by rain, 5 and 37 at Adelaide. He was sixty-one years of age.

BURDETT, MR. THOMAS, from 1884 until 1907 inclusive Honorary Secretary and, later, President of the Leicestershire County C.C., died at Great Glenn, Leicestershire, on January 22nd, aged 77. He had been manager of Lloyd's Bank, Leicester.

BURGE, THE RT. REV. HUBERT MURRAY, D.D., K.C.V.O., born at Meerut, in the East Indies, on August 9, 1862, died at Cuddesdon,Oxford, on June 10th, aged 62. He left Marlborough too young to be in the Eleven whilst there, but he captained Bedford Grammar School both in 1880 and 1881. At Oxford he appeared for the Freshmen in 1883 and for the Seniors in each of the three following seasons, but he did not obtain his Blue. For Bedfordshire in 1883 he played an innings of 114 against M.C.C. at Luton and also headed the bowling averages, his nine wickets costing 7.33 runs each. He also played for M.C.C., I Zingari, Harlequins and Free Foresters. In 1900 he was made Headmaster of Repton but, holding that position for little more than a year, he occupied a similar appointment at Winchester from 1901 until 1911. From the last mentioned year until 1919 he was Bishop of Southwark, and from 1919 until his death Bishop of Oxford. He was younger brother of Mr. G. R. Burge, who played for Marlborough and Middlesex.

CARRUTHERS, DR. JOHN FERGUSON, who died at Liphook, Hampshire, in June, aged 66, was in the Fettes Eleven in 1872 and three following years, heading the batting averages his last two seasons. He played much cricket in Scotland for the Lasswade C.C. and Northern Counties. During the Great War he served in the R.A.M.C. and was principal eye-specialist in the Herbert Hospital, Woolwich.

CATTLEY, MR. ,STEPHEN WILDMAN, who died at Sparsholt, Winchester, on April 11, was born at Croydon on October 28, 1860. Scores and Biographies (xiv-692) said of him : " Is a good average batsman, hitting freely, while in the field he was at keeper for Eton, and then cover-point or mid wicket off." He was a member of the Eton Elevens of 1878 and 1879, and in his two games with Harrow scored 32 and 11, 5 and 29. Against Winchester in 1879- he did not take part in the match of 1878- he made 6 and 13. Appearing in twenty-four games for Surrey between 1879 and 1883, he obtained 602 runs with an average of 14.33, his highest innings being 89 v Sussex at Hove in the last mentioned year. He was brother of the late Mr. A. C. Cattley of the Eton teams of 1878 and 1879.

CHRISTOPHERSON, MR. CECIL, M.R.C.S.,L.R.C.P., of St.Leonards, who died on May 11, was a member of the well-known Kent cricketing brotherhood, who, with their father, were able to put a family eleven in the field.

COZENS-HARDY, MR. ARTHUR WRIGLEY, a member of the well-known Norfolk cricketing family, died at Cley Hall, Norfolk, on October 29, aged 68. He was a good batsman and for some time was captain of the Kendal C.C.

CURTLER, MR. WILLIAM HENRY RICKETTS, born on January 28, 1862, died at Malvern Wells on August 21. He was a member of the Marlborough Eleven of 1880, but did not gain his Blue whilst at Oxford.

CURZON, THE 1ST MARQUESS (GEORGE NATHANIEL CURZON), K.C., etc., was born at Kedleston, in Derbyshire, on January 11, 1859, and died in London on March 20. He was a past President of the Derbyshire County C.C.

DICKINSON, MR. UTRICK WILLIAM, born on January 9, 1893, died suddenly at Bolam Hall, Morpeth on March 5, aged 32. He was a member of the Harrow Eleven in 1912, when, in an uphill game in his second innings he batted for three hours and thirty-five minutes for 59, he and C. H. B. Blount (137) adding 129 for the third wicket in 140 minutes. That season he was second in the School averages with 28.00. In the Great War he served as Captain in the R.F.A., was wounded, and obtained the M.C. and a bar to the M.C. DREWRY, MR. EDWARD, a noted agriculturist who died at Holker on September 8, aged 66, was a wicket-keeper above the average and one who, in the opinion of Mr. David Buchanan, would have gained his Blue had he gone to Oxford or Cambridge. Playing for XVIII of Birmingham against the Australian Team of 1880, he caught one and stumped one in an innings, and in a supplementary game between the same sides stumped two of the eight wickets which fell.

EDWARDS, MAJOR REGINALD OWEN, born on October 17, 26, died at Bishop's Stortford, on November 16. A great cricketing enthusiast Major Edwards went to big matches in any part of the country whenever possible, and had a large circle of intimate friends among county cricketers. A Yorkshireman, he supported the champions zealously without undue prejudice; his chief interests for many years were largely in the South. He played occasionally for Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, and in 1921 for Rest of England v. Royal Air Force at Eastbourne. He played for the M.C.C. in Germany in 1922; for Incogniti in Holland, and often captained Surrey Club and Ground in recent seasons. He spent a considerable time in Africa, and years ago found solace during solitary days up country reading Wisden to which he frequently contributed. During the war he was gassed badly, and in a later expedition to Southern Russia he lost all his baggage which accompanied him on all his travels. Major Edwards never tired of retelling stories of first-class cricketers.

EVANS, MR. ALLEN, who was born in Philadelphia on December 10, 1849, and died at Haverford on February 28, aged 75, was one of the founders, in 1870, of the Merion C.C., which he served as President for ten years. He was a well known architect and the father of Mr. J. L. Evans, who visited England with American teams in 1912, 1914, and 1921.

FITZGERALD, MR. GERALD AUGUSTUS ROBERT, K.C., born on Sept. 22, 1844, and died August 1. A steady batsman and a fair wicket-keeper, he was in the Sherborne eleven in 1860-1-2 and subsequently played for Corpus Christi College, Oxford. A member of the M.C.C. he watched games at Lord's for many years.

FORBES-ADAM, MR. ERIC GRAHAM, C.M.G., born in Bombay on October 3, 1888, died suddenly on July 7, at Constantinople, where he was First Secretary at the Embassy. He was not in the Eleven either at Eton or Cambridge, but he played for the Seniors in 1910 and 1911 and in the last mentioned year scored 10 and 17 against Yorkshire on the University ground.

FORDON, MR. AUGUSTUS EUSTACE, born at Liverpool on June 21, 1849, died in New York City on August 18. His early cricket was played for Sefton Park and he kept up the game in the Argentine Republic, Uruguay, Brazil and Mexico. Later he was a member of the Staten Island C.C. and of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association

FRANCIS. MR. CHARLES KING, born at Upminster, Essex, on the 3rd of February, 1851, died on October 24. Though his active days in first-class cricket dated back half a century, Mr. Francis retained to the end a keen interest in the game and was constantly at Lord's. Old cricketers will remember him as one of the best amateur fast bowlers of his day. It cannot be said, however, that he lived up to his early reputation. The work that made him famous was done before he was twenty. At Rugby, when Pauncefote and Yardley had raised the school's cricket presige to the highest point, he was in the eleven from 1867 to 1869. He wound up with a performance that has perhaps never been surpassed in a public school match, taking in 1869 seventeen wickets against Marlborough at Lord's--all ten (nine of them bowled) in the second innings.

On the strength of this astonishing form he went up to Oxford with a great flourish of trumpets. In his first year he fulfilled all expectations, taking twelve wickets in the University match--the sensational match that Frank Cobden's " hat trick " won for Cambridge by two runs--and being chosen for the Gentlemen. He was in the Oxford eleven for three more years but, against Cambridge, though he had one effective little spell in 1873, he never reproduced is form of 1870 or anything like it. Very possibly he was overbowled at school, but on this point I cannot speak with any certainty.He went to Canada in 1872 with R. A. Fitzgerald's famous team played for Middlesex from 1875 to 1877, appearing, however, in few matches after the first year. Called to the Bar in 1876 he was a Metropolitan Police Magistrate from 1896 till the end of his life.

FURNISS, MR. HARRY, the well-known artist and caricaturist, was born at Wexford on March 26. 1854, and died at Hastings on January 14, 1925. He contributed to the Preface and a hundred sketches of W. G. Grace to " How's That ? " published by Messrs. Arrowsmith, of Bristol.

GAGGIN. Mr. W. W., who died in Melbourne in July, aged 77, was a steady batsman and a splendid field and for many years a mainstay of the East Melbourne C.C., for which club, between 1867 and 1881, he made 3,978 runs with an average of 23, and took seventy wickets for 10.42 runs each. Several times he represented Victoria, but only once against New South Wales--at Sydney, in February, 1873, when he scored 13 and 7. His portrait can be seen facing page 10 of the History of the East Melbourne Cricket Club.

GIBSON, LIEUT.-COL. THOMAS A., K.C., D.S.O., C.M.G., who was born at Ingersoll in 1875 and died at Toronto on February 1, aged 49, was a playing member of the Toronto C.C. In the Great War he was mentioned in Dispatches.

GROOM, MR. HENRY ROBERT, who died at Sutton, in Surrey, on October 8, aged 73, was for many years Honorary Secretary and Captain of the Croydon C.C.

HACKER, STAMFORD, who died at Bristol on December 8, was a useful fast-medium bowler, introduced into the Gloucestershire team by W. G. Grace in 1899. He appeared seldom for that county, however, and after playing a little for Herefordshire he helped Glamorgan to gain promotion, meeting with some success when the Welsh County became first-class. He headed the Glamorgan bowling averages in 1910, 1912, 1913 and 1922 and was second in 1909, 1911, 1914 and 1921. He appeared in several matches for South Wales and in the game with All India at Cardiff in 1911 he had an analysis of six wickets for 17.

HARRIS, MR JAMES EDWARD, D.L., J.P., late commanding 2nd Suffolk Regiment, was born at Sharnford, Leicestershire, on October 1, 1838, and died at his native place on November 30, aged 87. Educated at Sheffield Collegiate School, he developed into " a good bowler with a very neat delivery," and in 1859 played for Cambridge in the University match at Lord's. By taking two wickets for 9 runs in Oxford's second innings he contributed to his side's success by 28 runs. His county cricket was played for Cornwall and Suffolk. From 1882 until 1886 he was Adjutant of the Cambridge University Volunteers.

HARRY, FRANK. who was born at Torquay on December 22, 1878, died at the North Malvern Hotel, Malvern, on October 27. Becoming a member of the ground staff at 0ld Trafford in 1900, he played for Lancashire from 1903 until 1908. He was a medium-paced bowler with an easy action and a break both ways. Among his good figures for the County were fifteen for 70 (six for 26 and nine for 44) v. Warwickshire at Manchester in 1906, five for 14 v. Worcestershire at Stourbridge in 1907, and six for 18 v. Leicestershire at Manchester in 1908. Against Sussex at Eastbourne in 1907 he bowled eight consecutive maiden overs, and he repeated the feat the next year in the match with Oxford University at Oxford. After his connection with Lancashire he accepted an engagement with the Kilmarnock C.C., and later appeared for Durham County through residence at South Shields. In 1915 he settled in Malvern and after the War played occasionally for Worcestershire as an amateur. In his day he was a prominent Rugby football player of the Northern Union school, being attached to the Broughton Rangers.

HAY, MR. WILLIAM HARRINGTON, horn in London on January 21, 1849, died on March 3, aged 76. In Scores and Biographies he was described as "a good and steady batsman, while in the field he generally assumes the post of long-stop or long-on." He was in the Eton Eleven in 1867 and 1868 and in four Public School matches scored 0 and 42, 2 and 17 v. Harrow and 8, 12 and 14 not out v. Winchester. In 1873 he began to assist Leicestershire.

HEARNE, WALTER, the old Kent cricketer, who was for many years scorer to the Kent County Club, died at Canterbury on April 2, at the age of 61. His active career in first-class cricket was cut short by an injury to his knee that would not yield to surgical treatment. In more fortunate circumstances he might have played nearly as long for Kent as did his more famous brother, J. T. Hearne, for Middlesex. He, also, was a right-handed medium-pace bowler with a fair amount of spin and great accuracy of length. Hearne was given his first trial for Kent in 1887, but made little impression at that time, and it was not until five years later that he gained a regular place in the county eleven. In the match with Lancashire at Manchester in 1893 he took fifteen wickets for 114 runs, and against the same side as Tonbridge a year later he did the hat-trick. He reached the top of his form in 1894, when in first-class matches he took 116 wickets -99 in county fixtures--at a cost of 13.34 runs each. He had a wonderful spell of success in July, taking in three successive matches, thirteen wickets for 61 runs against Gloucestershire, twelve wickets for 72 runs against Nottinghamshire and thirteen for 98 against Surrey. His position among the leading bowlers of the day seemed assured, but in the following May his knee gave way so badly that he was kept out of the field for the whole season, and on starting afresh in 1896 he finally broke down against Yorkshire at Leeds. He then became official scorer for Kent-a position he held for the rest of his life. He was born at Chalfont St. Giles, in Bucks., on January 15, 1864.

HEAVISIDES. MR. MICHAEL, who died on February 18, aged 81,was a life-long lover of cricket, and was a member of the Stockton C.C. for over 65 years, being a playing member for most of them. His portrait and reminiscences appeared in the Stockton-on-Tees Bazaar Souvenir, published in 1906.

HORNER, MR. CHARLES EDWARD, born at DulwIch on April 9, 1857, died at Gloucester Terrace, Regent's Park, on September 4, aged 68. Cricketers, and more especially Surrey cricketers, learned with sincere regret of Mr. Homer's death. His illness was very brief, extending over scarcely a week. He had a short career in the Surrey eleven--practically only four seasons--but as a member of the committee he remained to the end closely connected with the Club. His interest in cricket never declined, and on most afternoons in the summer he was to be found at the Oval or Lord's.

He came out for Surrey in 1882. The county's fortunes were then at a low ebb, but the great revival, with the late John Shuter as captain, was close at hand. As a right-handed, bowler--medium-pace to fast--Horner did excellent work. He was at his best in 1884, taking in that season over 100 wickets for a trifle less than 15 runs apiece. A persevering bowler whom nothing perturbed, he could by the hour keep a length on or just outside the off stump. He had no pretensions as a batsman but his nerves were strong and at Gravesend in 1885 he helped George Lohmann to win a sensational match for Surrey against Kent by one wicket. Thirty-two nuns were wanted when he went in and the game looked all over. At this distance of time there can be no harm in saying that the Kent team felt sure he was out when an appeal for a catch by the wicket-keeper was answered in his favour. Mr. Horner took a keen interest in Billiards and, for an amateur, played a very good game. In his later years he was prominently associated with the Billiards Control Club.

HUSKINSON, DR. ERNEST CHARLES, who died in New York City on June 7, played with the King's County Club of Brooklyn, and was its President for 23 years. He was also President of the Metropolitan District Cricket League for three seasons and a member of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association.

IRONS, MR. JAMES P., whose death occurred in New York City on April 4, at the age of 63, was born in Glasgow and became a member of the New York Veteran Cricketers' Association. He was a very fair wicket-keeper and had been an Association football player of some note in his younger days.

JORDON, MR. THOMAS CARRICK, the greatest wicket-keeper America has yet produced and a useful batsman, was born on February 10, 1877, and died on March 28, aged 48. It was testimony to his skill that he was able to take the very fast bowling of Mr. J. B. King with great ease. He was seen in England with the Philadelphian teams of 1903 and 1908 and with the Germantown C.C. in 1911, and had represented the United States against Canada besides taking part in many other great games in America against visiting sides. In 1911 he played an innings of 106 against the Gentlemen of Liverpool at Aigburth.

KEEBLE, MR. FRANK HENRY GAMBLE, who died in New York City on August 19, was a fair batsman who played with the Staten Island C.C. He was a well-known Art critic, and was born in London on June 10, 1867.

KEMBLE, MR. ARTHUR TWISS, a member of the well-known theatrical family of that name, was born in Cumberland on February 1863,and died at Park Cottage, Crawley Down, Sussex, on March 13th, aged 63. He was a useful batsman- he made many very good scores for Liverpool, including one of 172 v. Tu Quogues and was much above the average as a wicket-keeper. He first took to wicket-keeping whilst at Appleby Grammar School, in Westmorland, and it was his skill in that position which enabled him to appear for Lancashire from 1885 until 1894. He had no easy task in following such a man as Pilling, but he acquitted himself well, standing close up to the wicket even against Mold.

He kept wicket for the Gentlemen against the Players at Hastings, in 1891, 1892 and 1894 and at the Oval in 1893. For Lancashire v. Surrey at the Oval in 1892 he made 50, and for Liverpool and District v. Cambridge University at Aigburth in 1895 he played an innings of 59. His earliest county cricket was played for Cumberland, commencing in 1889. In 1899 he took a team to the Canaries which played three matches and won them all, and he had served on the Committees of the Lancashire and Sussex County Clubs. He distinguished himself at Rugby football as well as at cricket, and besides representing Lancashire at that game played also for England against both Ireland and Wales.

KERSHAW, MR. RICHARD, far many years a member of the Committee of the Yorkshire County C.C., died at Bedford on February 7, aged about 60. For some time he was captain of the Bradford team and he played a good deal for the now defunct Shibden Hall C.C.

KING, SAMUEL, who died at Cowley on January 5, aged 83,had been appointed groundsman to Oxford University in succession to Daniel Hodgkins when the club migrated from the old Magdalen ground to the Parks in 1879, and he held the position for forty years. His four sons, Herbert, Samuel, Percy and Edward, became groundsmen respectively to Balliol, Merton, New and Brasenose Colleges.

LEE, THE REV. ARTHUR GEORGE, born on August 31, 1849, died in London on July 11. As a batsman he was described as " An excellent wrist player, hits freely and well all round," and he was also a useful wicket-keeper. At Westminster, where he was in the Eleven in 1865 and 1866, he was coached by Mantle, Holmes and Tom Hearne. Whilst at Oxford he played for the Freshmen and Seniors and was tried for the Universtiy, but did not obtain his Blue. His county cricket was played for Berkshire, Worcestershire and Suffolk. Two of his brothers, Messrs. H. W. and F. H. Lee, were in the Marlborough Eleven.

LEIGH, MR. JAMES, who was born in December, 1862, died at Shepperton-on-Thames on September 25, aged 62. A hard-hitting stylish batsman and a good field, he was a member of the Uppingham Eleven of 1880 and played a few times for Lancashire between 1887 and 1889. He also appeared for the Uppingham Rovers and the M.C.C., and in 1896-7 visited the West Indies as a member of Mr. A. Priestley's team.

LUBBOCK, DR. MONTAGU, M.D., L.R.C.P., M.R.C.S., a member of the Eton Eleven of 1859, was born on May 24, 1842, and died in Mount Street, London, on April 8, aged 82. In his match with Winchester he was unfortunate enough to obtain spectacles, but against Harrow he scored 12 and 22. He was a member of the well-known cricketing brotherhood, of which Mr. Alfred Lubbock was the most famous. He was coxswain of the Eton VIII in 1856 and rowed No. 7 three years afterwards. In 1858 he was Keeper of the Field with Sir F. W. J. Johnstone and was in the Oppidan Wall Eleven. In that year, too, he won the 100 yards and the hurdles. In 1859 he won the School Fives and served also as President and Chairman of " Pop," the school debating society.

MARKS, MR. WILLIAM WOODFINE, who died at Bedford on February 2, in his 70th year, had been Honorary Secretary of the Bedfordshire County C.C. from 1903 until his death. For thirty-four years, too, he had held the dual office of Clerk of the Peace and Clerk of the County Council of Bedfordshire.

McCANLIS, CAPT. WILLIAM, born at Woolwich on October 30, 1840, died at Blackheath on November 19, in his eighty-sixth year. He was a sound, hard-hitting batsman, driving particularly well, and a good field ; and between 1862 and 1877 assisted Kent in forty-six matches, making 1,123 runs with an average of 14.73, with 67 v. Lancashire at y ~ 1 and taking 18 wickets for 27 55 runs each. 73 In as his the County's score, innings against Surrey at the Oval in 1873 he and his brother, George McCanlis, made 99 between them and all the' other players only eight.Capt. McCanlis kept up the game,in minor matches, until far advanced in years, and was for many seasons in charge of coaching the young players at Tonbridge. Among the cricketers he turned out were Blythe, Frank Woolley,Hairdinge, James Seymour, Humphreys and Hubble. He continued the duties until 1912, when he resigned and was succeeded by G. J. V. Weigall.

MELLOR, HIS HONOUR JUDGE FRANCIS HAMILTON,C.B.E.,was born in London on May 13, 1854, and died in Paris, after an operation, aged 70. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven 1871 and two following years, and in 1873, when he played an innings of 187 against Old Cheltonians, he was described as " The most correct bat of the Eleven, his play on the leg side being especially brilliant; an excellent out-fielder, and useful underhand slow bowler." He was a Cambridge Blue of 1877,and against Oxford scored 5 and 15 not out. In 1887 and 1888 he appeared in four games for Kent. In 1898 he became Recorder of Preston and he held that office until made a County Court Judge in 1921.

MEYERS, MR. HARRY A., who was born at Hamilton, Bermuda, on November 24, 1888, cied at Brooklyn, N.Y., on April 1, at the early age of 36. A skilful wicket-keeper, he developed into a useful fast bowler and batsman, and, after playing in Bermuda against the Gentlemen of Philadelphia, the Australians and other touring teams, he settled in New York and became associated with Columbia Oval , King's country, Brooklyn, Manhattan, the Crescent A.C., and various other clubs. In 1919, 1920 and 1921 he was the most successful bowler in the Metropolitan District League and in 1914 he won the batting prize. His highest score was 116 for Brooklyn v. Prospect Park in 1911.

MIGNON, EDWARD, born at Kilburn on November 1, died in Guy's Hospital on May 14, of pneumonia aggravated by malaria. His fast bowling gained him a place in the Middlesex team from 1905 until 1913, and for the county he took 410 wickets for 25.99 runs each and scored 977 runs with an average of 8.42. Against Kent at Tonbridge in 1907 he had an analysis of 12 for 90. In the Great War he saw service as a Lance-Corporal in the Army Service Corps.

MIREHOUSE, MR. WILLIAM EDWARD, born on October 29, 1844, died at Hambrook Grove, Gloucestershire, on June 17, aged 80. He was a batsman with good defence , a fair change bowler and an energetic field, and was a member of the Harrow Eleven of 1863. In 1864 he was tried for Cambridge, but he did not obtain his blue. Since 1889, he had been Recorder of Wenlock.

MOORE, MR. THOMAS, born on November 26, 1856, died on or about May 17, through a fall over the cliffs at Black Rock, Brighton. At the inquest a verdict of suicide whilst temporarily insane was returned. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven in 1874 and two following years, being captain in 1876, in which season he scored 51 and 48 against Marlborough. At Cambridge he played for the Freshmen in 1877 and later for the Seniors and Next XVI, but did not obtain his Blue. By profession he was a barrister.

MORGAN, MR. GEORGE T., of the Belmont C.C., died in Philadelphia on January 4, aged 79. He had been engraver at the Mint at Philadelphia for 48 years.

MORTON, MR. PHILIP HOWARD, who will always be remembered as a member of the great Cambridge Eleven of 1878, died suddenly at Bournemouth on May 13, after an operation. He was born at Tatterford Rectory, near Fakenham in Norfolk, on June 20, 1857, and was thus in his sixty-eighth year at the time of his death. He may be summed-up as having been a first-rate fast bowler, a useful batsman and a good field at slip and short-leg. His fame rests on his bowling, for he had a formidable off-break and a good yorker at his command and could make the ball nip quickly off the pitch. He gained his Blue for Cambridge in 1878, during his second year of residence, and he contributed much to the unchecked series of successes the side gained that season under the captaincy of the Hon. Edward Lyttelton. The team worked together splendidly throughout, and won all the eight matches played, four of them--against M.C.C., the Gentlemen of England, Surrey and the Australians (at Lord's)--with an innings to spare. Although they beat Oxford by 238 runs, their greatest triumph was to defeat the Australians, before lunch on the second day, by an innings and 72 runs. Owing to illness, neither A. P. Lucas nor F. W. Kingston was able to play, yet ten members of the side reached double figures, and Morton himself had the chief share in the victory, taking a dozen wickets nine bowled, one leg-before, one caught-and-bowled, and one caught at the wicket. On a perfect pitch this was an extraordinary performance. His break, at such a pace, astonished the Australians. In the second innings of the inter-University match he and A. G. Steel, in wonderful form that year, dismissed Oxford for 32, Morton's figures during that second innings being five for 20. Seven men failed to score. In his three matches against Oxford he scored 54 runs with an average of 13.50 and obtained a dozen wickets for 15.66 runs, being on the winning side each year and performing the hat-trick in the game of 1880. In 1875 and 1876 he had been in the Rossall XI, and in the latter year, when he was captain, had bowled down all eleven wickets in an innings in a twelve a-side game against the Masters.

After leaving Cambridge but little was seen of him in great matches, but he appeared for the Gentlemen against the Players at the Oval in 1880, when he took twelve wickets for 91 runs, and at Lord's in 1882 (five for 94), and assisted Surrey in a couple of games in 1884 under the family-home qualification. He continued to represent Norfolk until 1886, and for that side at Norwich in 1883 had analyses of five for 19 v. Northants, and eleven for 40 v. Leicestershire. He was founder of the Northern Nomads, and was Honorary Secretary of the Club for eight years. For many years he was in the scholastic profession, and after being an Assistant-Master at Elstree from 1880 until 1889, was Headmaster in succession of Bracewell Hall School,Skipton ; of Scaitcliffe School, Englefield Green ; and of Wixenford School, Wokingham.

NICKALLS, LIEUT-COL. CECIL PATTESON, D.S.O , manager of the Rugby Polo Club, was found shot at his residence, Stanford Park, Rugby, on April 7. He was 48 years of age. During the three seasons--1894 to 1896--that he was a member of the Rugby School eleven he was a batsman of dashing methods with strokes all round the wicket but particularly strOng on the off side. In his matches against Marlborough, at Lord's, he was very successful. In the game of 1894 he played an innings of 109, he and Mr. J. Stanning (152 not out) adding 207 together for the second wicket in 100 minutes and in the corresponding match of the following year he scored 6 and 97. He was also a member of the XV at Rugby, but an accident prevented him from getting his Blue for Rugby football at Oxford. He gave up cricket for polo, and played for the University team which twice beat Cambridge at Hurlingham. He was also a member of the English polo team which played against America in 1902 and against Ireland in 1905 and 1911. His team won the Championship Cup three times. After leaving Rugby his most serious cricket was played for Kent 2nd XI. In the Great War he served in the R.F.A. and gained the D.S.O.

OLIVIER, MR. ERIC, born on November 24, 1888, died in Cape Town on June 1. After taking thirty-eight wickets for 19.05 runs each for Repton in 1906, he proceeded to Cambridge and took part in the matches with Oxford in 1908 and 1909, In those two games he scored 25 runs for two completed innings and obtained thirteen wickets for a fraction under 20 runs each. In 1908, when analysis was ten for 141, he was the best of the Cambridge bowlers. He was fast-medium right-hand with a swerve. In 1911 he appeared for Hampshire and afterwards for South-Western Districts, in South Africa. In the Great War he served as a Trooper in German South-West Africa in 1914-15, and later as 2nd Lieut. (T.) in the R.F.C. Whilst at Cambridge he was also an Association football Blue.

RAWLINSON, GENERAL THE 1ST LORD (HENRY SEYMOUR RAWLINSON, 2nd BART.), was born on February 20, 1864, and died suddenly at Delhi, whilst Commander-in-Chief in India, on March 28, aged 61. He was not in the Eleven either at Eton or Sandhurst, but he played much military cricket for 60th Rifles, Green Jackets, Household Brigade, Coldstream Guards, Shorncliffe Garrison, Staff College (Camberley), etc. He served in the Great War with much distinction, and was awarded the K.C.B. in 1915, the G.C.V.O. in 1917, the K.C.M.G. in 1918, and the G.C.B. in 1919, when he was also created Baron Rawlinson of Trent, in Dorset. He also held the chief decorations of the Allied countries.

RUTLAND, THE 8TH DUKE OF (HENRY JOHN BRLNSLEY MANNERS), who was born in London on April 16, 1852, and died there on May 8, was not in the Eleven either at Eton or Cambridge, but in 1904, whilst Marquess of Granby, was President of the M.C.C. He had been a member of the Club since 1870 and had served on the Committee.

SCOTT, THE VEN. AVISON TERRY, born at Cambridge on July 18, 1848, died in a London nursing-home on June 18, aged 76. He was above the average as a batsman, and whilst at Brighton College --he was in the Eleven from 1864 until 1867, being captain his last year--he distinguished himself by playing a not-out innings of 140 against Lancing College in 1865. Obtaining his Blue for Cambridge, he played against Oxford in 1870 and 1871, in the former year scoring 45 and 0 in " Cobden's Match " which Cambridge won so sensationally by two runs. The same season he played an innings of 202 for Cambridge Long Vacation against Peripatetic Clowns. At various times he appeared for Cambridgeshire, Gentlemen of Sussex and Norfolk, and for Cambridgeshire against the University in May, 1868, he scored 76 in his first innings and 75 in his second.

Whilst at Cambridge he won the pole-jump before it became an event in the University Sports, and he was one of the founders of the Royal Ashdown Forest Golf Club. He became Vicar of St, James's. Tunbridge Wells, in 1886, and since 1906 had been deacon of Tonbridge.

SHARP, MR WILLIAM RITCHIE, who died suddenly at Edzell on September 10, aged 66, was for years a very prominent figure in Scottish cricket. He was a very good bat and an above average wicket-keeper and for some seasons could bowl a very useful ball. Whilst at Clifton he did not succeed in obtaining his colours, but later his skill developed very much so that he was chosen to play for Scotland in many representative matches. For over 40 years he was captain of the Forfarshire Club, for which he made sixteen hundreds, including scores of 113 not out, 150 not out and 138 not out against Perthshire. On sixteen occasions, too, he headed the Club's batting averages and in 1892 was first in bowling as well. He presented the Club with both their pavilion and ground (Forthill), and on the day the former was opened scored 192 not out against Edinburgh Academicals.

SIMPSON, MR. EDWARD PERCY, who died on August 12, in a nursing-home in London after an operation, was a painstaking batsman and a very good field at point. In 1883 and 1884 he was in the Wellington Eleven, being captain the latter year. At Oxford he scored 24 and 1 in the Freshmen's match of 1885, but did not appear for the Seniors and did not obtain his Blue. He represented his University at Rugby football, however, playing against Cambridge in 1887.

SMITH, CHARLES, who was born at Calverley Yorkshire, on August 24, 1861, died at his native place on May 2, aged 63. He was a useful batsman and a capital and plucky wicket keeper, and, after appearing in one match for Yorkshire in 1885, assisted Lancashire from 1893 until 1902. In all first-class 1895 he caught 51 men and stumped 25, and two years later caught 47 and stumped 21: altogether he obtained 399 wickets-296 caught and 103 stumped. His highest innings in first-class cricket was 81 for Lancashire v. Sussex at Manchester in 18985. In July,1903, the Lancashire v. Essex match at Old Trafford was given to him and Cuttell for their benefit.

SPRY, JOHN, who died at Bristol on April 9, aged 77, had been groundsman of the Gloucestershire County C.C. at Ashley Down from 1889 until his retirement in December, 1924.

TABOR, MR. ROBERT MONTAGU, born on October 2, 1845, died at Ashleigh, Dartmouth, on May 5, aged 79. He was in the Eton Eleven of 1864, playing against both Harrow and Winchester,but he did not obtain his Blue for Cambridge. He was elder brother of Messrs. A. S. and Alfred Tabor.

TAPE, MR. CHARLES ASHLEY, who was born at Blackheath in 1844, died in London on August 1, aged 81. He was a member of the Eton Eleven of 1863, playing against both Harrow and Winchester, being described then as " A difficult bowler on his day, and an improving bat. No field." He was tried for Oxford University but did not receive his Blue, and in 1872 he played for both Middlesex (v. Surrey at Prince's) and the Gentlemen of Kent. He was brother of the Etonian, Mr. A. S. Teape, the Oxford Blue of 1863 to 1865.

TOPHAM, THE REV. HENRY GILLESPIE, born at Ladbroke, near Southam, in Warwickshire, on February 16, 1862, died suddenly on February 28, at Middleham, in Yorkshire, of which place he had been Rector since 1903. A useful slow left-handed bowler and a good field at slip, he was in the Repton Eleven in 1878 and three next years, assisted Derbyshire in 1881, and obtained his Blue for Cambridge in 1883, playing against Oxford in that season and the following. For Jesus College v. Trinity Hall at Cambridge in May, 1884, he took five wickets in seven balls. In 1924 and the early part of 1925 some of his reminiscences were published in the Cricketer.

TREVOR, MR. FREDERICK GEORGE BRUNTON, C.I.E., who Was born on October 28, 1838, died at Richmond, in Surrey, on February 20, aged 86. He was a member of the Marlborough College Eleven of 1855, and was the last surviving Marlburian who took part in the first match ever played by the College against Rugby.

TUKE, DR. CHARLES MOLESWORTH, born at Chiswick on May 23, 1857, died on January 24, after a long illness, aged 67. In Scores and Biographies (14-100) it was said of him: " Is a very fast round-armed bowler 'with a whip from the wrist'; an average bat, and fields generally at short slip or cover point." In 1882 he appeared, though not with much success, in seven matches for Middlesex.

UDAL, MR. JOHN SYMONDS, who was born near Birmingham, on November 10, 1848, died suddenly in London on March 13, aged 76. A very useful all-round cricketer, he obtained his colours whilst at Bromsgrove School, and later played for Dorset, Somerset, M.C.C., Richmond, Free Foresters and Incogniti, but he did not succeed in securing his Blue for Oxford. In 1873 he was invited by " W.G." to accompany his team to Australia, but he was unable to do so. In 1894-5 he captained a Fiji team in New Zealand, and he did much to encourage the game whilst Attorney-General of Fiji and, later, Chief Justice of the Leeward Islands. In 1869 he became a member of the M.C.C., and he had served on the Committee and also been an Auditor of the Club. He was father of Mr. N. R. Udal, of Winchester, Oxford University and Dorset.

WALERAN, THE 1ST BARON OF UFFCOLME, in the County of Devon--better known to cricketers as Mr. William Hood Walrond was born at Exeter on February 26, 1849, and died in London on May 17, 1925, aged 76. He was a member of the Eton XIs of 1866 and 1867, and in his four Public School matches--against Harrow and Winchester--scored 77 runs in six innings. Commencing in 1866, he assisted Devonshire. For twenty-six years he was a Conservative M.P., representing East Devonshire 1880-85 and then the Tiverton Division until 1905, holding various Government offices. He succeeded to the Baronetcy in 1889 and was raised to the Peerage in 1905.

WALKER, SIR GEORGE CASSON, K.C.S.I., who was born on July 9, 1854, and died at Hove on April 27, aged 70, was in the Winchester Eleven in 1872, when he scored 11 and 0 against Eton. He did not obtain his Blue for Oxford. It was said of him : " Has a peculiar style of batting with good hitting powers; somewhat slow and uncertain in the field." He did good financial work in the Hyderabad State.

WALKER, THOMAS, born on April 3, 1854, died at Leeds on August 29, aged 71. For over forty years he was well-known in club cricket in Yorkshire, and he took part in eight matches for the county in 1879 and in six in 1880, making, however, only 179 runs with an average of 8.95. He was the founder of the old Leaminton C.C. and had much to do with bringing Robert Peel forward as a slow bowler. Until August 18, 1879, he played as an amateur.

WARSOP BENJAMIN, for many years cricket bat maker at Lord's, was born at Sneinton, Nottingham, on December 31, 1837, and died at St. John's Wood on March 10, aged 87. A useful all-round cricketer he continued to take part in small games until over seventy years of age. In his younger days he had played for Nottinghamshire Colts, but he never appeared for the County. His father was second cousin of the famous Thomas Warsop.

WATSON, MR. WILLIAM GATUS, who died at Baswich, Stafford, on January 24, aged 69, was the author of " Carnival Cricket at Scarborough " and " Staffordshire Cricket"

WEBBE, CAPT. GEORGE ALLAN, elder brother of Messrs. A. J. and H.R. Webbe, was born in London on January 15, 1854, and died at Errollston, Ascot, on February 19, aged 71. In Scores and Biographies (xiii-272) it was said of him : " Is a really good batsman,an energetic field at cover-point, and if he continues the game game will perhaps excel." He could also keep wicket. He and Mr. A. A. Hadow won the Public Schools Racquets Cup in 1871 and 1872. He had a serious illness immediately after the Racquets matches of 1872 which so weakened him that he failed to get into the Harrow Eleven in 1872, as in happier circumstances he most certainly would have done. For one year he was at Oxford and then he went into the 15th Hussars. He played more than once in the Canterbury Week, and also for Dorset, and was elected a Harlequin.

WHITMORE, MR. WILLIAM WALTER, who was born on May 19, 1853, and died on October 21, aged 72, a steady batsman with good defence, a fair change bowler and an excellent field at point. In 1872 he was a member of the Eton Eleven and in his second innings against Harrow scored 21. He did not receive his Blue while at Oxford, but he played subsequently much cricket for the Eton Ramblers. For some years he was Private Secretary to the Duke of Buccleuch. Mr. H. E. Whitmore, who also obtained his colours for Eton, was his cousin.

WILSON, MR. HERBERT G., born on January 9, 1864, died at Winnipeg on January 16. An effective bowler at his best, he took thirty-nine wickets for 65 runs whilst on tour with the Winnipeg C.C. in 1887, and in 1895 played for Canada v. United States. He was a member of the Expedition for the relief of General Gordon at Khartoum in 1884 and also a Klondyke pioneer.

WINDSOR, MR. GEORGE, who died suddenly on March 4, aged 50, was well-known in Metropolitan cricket circles as the wicket-keeper of the Beddington and Mitcham clubs.

WINTERBOTHAM, MR. JAMES PERCIVAL, who died at Cheltenham on December 2, aged 42, was a useful slow left-handed bowler with spin and break. During the four years that he played for Cheltenham College--1899 to 1902--he obtained 187 wickets for 16.49 runs each. In 1900 he did the hat-trick v. Old Cheltonians, in 1901 had analyses of 6 for 60 and 9 for 49 in the match with Marlborough, and in the following season took five wickets for 5 runs against Marlborough, who were dismissed in their first innings for 19.

He captained the eleven and was in the Cheltenham College Rugby Fifteen. At Oxford he played for the Freshmen and Seniors and was tried for the University, but did not obtain his Blue. On a few occasions, commencing in 1902, he appeared for Gloucestershire, and represented the County at hockey and golf. He was wounded in the Great War whilst serving as Captain in the 5th Batt. Gloucestershire Regiment. By profession he was a solicitor.

The following particulars were not received in time for inclusion in the Almanack for 1925:

BOXSALL, MR. CHARLES, who died at Balmain, Sydney, in November, 1924, aged 62, was for some years New Zealand's chief wicket-keeper, and he was a member of the Dominion's teams which visited Australia in 1898-9 and 1913-14. In Plunket Shields matches he represented Canterbury. By birth he was a Victorian, and before settling in New Zealand was associated with the Richmond C.C., of Melbourne.

CAMERON, MR. ROSS McA., who was born on August 15, 1863, and died at Toronto on November 23, 1924, was an effective left-hand fast medium bowler with the old East Toronto C.C. In 1888 he took 210 wickets for 3.20 runs each. For Sawbones against Peterborough in 1886 he played an innings of 106 not out.

EVAN, MR. GRIFFITH MOSTYN, who died suddenly at North Adelaide on December 25, 1924, aged 61, was for some seasons President of the South Australian Cricket Association and succeeded Sir Edwin Smith as Chairman of that body. He was also identified with the old Australasian Cricket Council and later with the Board.

FORMAN, MR. HUMPHREY, born at Repton,on April 26, 1888, died at Bangkok, after an operation, on May 21, 1923. He was a batsman with good defence and some effective strokes, bowled slow-medium and fielded well. During his last year at Shrewsbury he was captain of the Eleven, but he did not secure his Blue for Cambridge though he was tried for the University in 1910. In the year mentioned his name will be found in the Somerset team. In the Great War he was taken prisoner whilst serving as Lieutenant in the South Wales Borderers.

JESSOP, MR. HYLTON, born in 1868, died in a nursing-home at Cheltenham on July 19, 1924. A good forcing bat and an adherent of the old-fashioned donkey-trot bowling, he played much for the East Gloucestershire C.C. and occasionally for Gloucestershire. He was a cousin of Mr. G. L. Jessop.

OLIPHANT, MR. JOHN STUART, born at Hyderabad on February 17, 1837, died at Grafton, Highfield, Southampton, on July 21, 1924, aged 87. As a wicket-keeper he was well above the average and in 1861 was chosen for the Gentlemen v. Players match at Lord's, the game in which Jackson and Willsher bowled unchanged through both innings of the Gentlemen, who were beaten by an innings and 60 runs. Mr. Oliphant never took part in county cricket, but for many years he was associated very prominently with the Wimbledon C.C. He was one of the founders of the Club on May 20, 1854, and played for it for about twenty seasons, and he was also its first Honorary Secretary, resigning the office at the end of 1859, when he was succeeded by his brother, Mr. A. C. Oliphant. His batting average for the Club was twelve.

REDPATH, MR.DAVID, who died, after a long illness, at Fendalton, Canterbury (N.Z.), on December 17, 1924, aged 43, had been a well-known figure in the game in New Zealand. He was President of the Canterbury Cricket Association and a Vice-President of the New Zealand Cricket Council. He also did much to encourage the game among schoolboys by providing coaches for them at his own expense. He himself had played for the Christchurch Boys' High School and in Canterbury local cricket.

STOKES, MR. JAMES L., a fair batsman who played for the Toronto and Rosedale clubs, was killed in a motor accident on December 8, 1924, aged 65.

TURNER, MR.JOHN ALFRED, who was born at Leicester on April 10, 1863, died on July 23, 1924. He was a steady and safe batsman, a good fast bowler, and a capital field, generally taking cover-point. Before going to Uppingham, he was at Mill House School, Leicester, where he and Mr. H. T. Arnall (afterwards Arnall-Thompson) were the chief bowlers. In 1880 and two next years he was in the Uppingham Eleven, being captain in 1882, and, obtaining his Blue for Cambridge as a Freshman, played four times (1883 to 1886) against Oxford. In the inter-University matches his scores were small, but in other games for Cambridge he played some large innings, including 109 v. Mr. A. J. Webbe's XI in 1885 and 174 v. Mr. C. I. Thornton's a year later. He assisted Leicestershire from 1883 until 1892, visited the United States and Canada with Mr. E. J. Sanders' teams of 1885 and 1886, and in the last mentioned season took part in the Gentlemen v. Players match at the Oval. His career in important cricket would doubtless have been longer had he not lost the sight of an eye in January, 1893, whilst playing racquets.

WHYBREW, MR. A., who had played as a fast bowler for British Guiana, died suddenly in December, 1924, whilst on a visit to Canada. He was only 29 years of age.

© John Wisden & Co