Obituaries in 1955

ALEXANDER, MR. E. B., who died on March 21, aged 83, was in the Forest School XI before going up to Oxford where he gained his Blue as an Association football half-back in 1894 and 1895. He also played for the Corinthians. He spent much of his life in Ceylon, where he was at one time Acting-Governor. After serving in France during the First World War, he represented Ceylon at the 1927 Colonial Office Conference.

ALLEN, SIR RICHARD WILLIAM, who died at his London home on July 17, aged 88, was in 1899 one of the founders of Bedfordshire County C.C., of which he was Honorary Secretary until 1919 and President from 1953 till his death. At one time President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, he was awarded the C.B.E. in 1918 and knighted in 1942.

ARROWSMITH, MR. ISAAC FREDERICK, who died in Bristol on November 9 shortly before his 95th birthday, was a life-long cricket lover who at one time played as an all-rounder with Dr. W. G. Grace. For many years a Gloucestershire member, he was a founder-member of the Bohemian C.C.

ASHCROFT, DR. E. MAYNARD, who died suddenly at his home at Upton, near Chester, on February 26, aged 79, played for Derbyshire from 1897 to 1906. Shared the captaincy with A. E. Lawton in 1904 and 1905. Of his eight centuries, the highest was 162 against Leicestershire at Leicester in 1902 when he headed the Derbyshire batting figures with 843 runs, average 46.83. A free-scoring batsman, he drove and cut specially well.

BAISS, MR. REGINALD SIDNEY HABERSHON, who died on May 2, aged 82, played in seven matches for Kent between 1895 and 1901. A wicket-keeper, he was in the Tonbridge XI for four years from 1899 and played in trials at Oxford without gaining a Blue.

BALOO, MR. PALWANKAR, who died in India on July 4, aged 78, played for the Hindus from 1907 to 1920, doing much good work as a slow left-arm bowler. His death occurred on the day which for so long had been printed in Wisden Births and Deaths as the date of his birth, which actually was March 19. His best analysis for the Hindus was eight wickets for 43 runs in the second innings of the Parsees in the 1919 Quadrangular Tournament.

He toured England with the 1911 All-India Team, heading the bowling averages with 114 wickets, average 18.86, in all matches. During that tour his chief feats were eight wickets for 103 v. Cambridge University; seven for 83 v. Lancashire and eight for 15 in the two innings of Ulster at Belfast.

BARNES, DR. STANLEY, died in August, aged 80, four and a half months after his election to the Presidency of Warwickshire in which he was succeeded by Lord Bennett of Edgbaston. His cricket interest was of long standing, going back to the days when he captained the XI at Camp Hill Grammar School, Birmingham. A member of Warwickshire for many years, he gave £5,000 in 1954 to start the Pavilion West Wing development. Brother of the former Bishop of Birmingham, Dr. E. W. Barnes, and of Sir Sidney Barnes, for so long identified with the Admiralty, he possessed a European reputation as a neurologist. In 1931 he gave up his practice to become Dean of the Faculty of Medicine in Birmingham and was largely instrumental in the development and building of the huge Queen Elizabeth Hospital there.

BATTERSBY, MR. JAMES LARATT, whose body was washed up by the sea at Formby, Lancashire, on September 29, played as an all-rounder in the Malvern XI of 1925 and 1926, being captain in the second year. Aged 48, he had been missing since September 14.

BERKELEY, MR. GEORGE FITZ-HARDINGE, who died at Hanwell Castle, Banbury, on November 14, aged 85, accomplished many fine performances as a medium-paced left-arm bowler late last century. Born in Dublin, he was in the Wellington College X1 for four years, heading the bowling averages from 1887 to 1889. In 1887 he took 63 wickets, average 10.31, and in 1889 took 47, average 8.10. He gained his Blue at Oxford as a Freshman in 1890 and played four times against Cambridge, obtaining in the big matches 27 wickets for less than 13 runs each. His best performances in the University matches were five wickets for 20 runs in the second innings in 1891, when Cambridge, having compelled Oxford to follow on 102 behind, scrambled home by two wickets, and five for 38--including the wickets of K. S. Ranjitsinhji, E. C. Streatfield and C. M. Wells--and four for 56 in 1893. It was in the 1891 match that the Hon. F. J. N. Thesiger slipped when fielding during the opening hour, sprained his wrist and dropped out of the game. G. McGregor, the Cambridge captain, allowed T. B. Case to replace him in the Oxford team. In 1890, Berkeley distinguished himself for Oxford against the Australians by dismissing eight men for 70 runs. Two years later he appeared without success for Gentlemen against Players at The Oval. For some seasons from 1904 he played occasionally for Oxfordshire. He served in the Worcestershire Regiment from 1898 to 1901, afterwards became a barrister and author and saw service in the First World War as Brigade musketry officer in the 3rd Cavalry Reserve Regiment and on the Claims Commission in France and Italy.

BIRRELL, MR. W. S., who died in Bridge of Earn Hospital in January, aged 89, was the doyen of Scottish cricketers. He was knocked down by a motor-van five weeks before his death. For 42 years from 1884 he played for Cupar C.C., holding every office and becoming a life member.

BLACKIE, MR. DONALD J., who died in Melbourne on April 21, aged 73, played for Australia against the England team led by A. P. F. Chapman in Australia in 1928-29 when 46, being the oldest player to represent his country. He headed the Test averages with fourteen wickets in three Test appearances at a cost of 31.71 runs each, six for 94 in the first innings of the third game at Melbourne being his best analysis. An off-break bowler of wiry physique who flighted the ball and allied swerve to spin and accuracy of length, he varied his pace skilfully from medium to slow-medium. Not until a late age did he enter big cricket after three years with the St. Hilda C.C., Melbourne. Then he rendered good service to Victoria, taking 159 wickets, average 23.88. In 1926-27, he bowled more balls--2,495--than anybody else in Australian first-class cricket and took more wickets--33--conceding only 816 runs.

BLANDFORD, MR. J. A. R., who died in an Auckland hospital on December 24, aged 42, played for New Zealand in two unofficial Test matches against E. R. T. Holmes's M.C.C. Team of 1935-36, scoring 40 and 36. An aggressive right-handed batsman, specially strong in off-side strokes, he was also a capable wicket-keeper and represented Wellington. When at Victoria University College, he was prominent as a Rugby football full-back and a lawn-tennis player. During service with a field ambulance unit in the Middle East and Italy in the Second World War, he contracted a severe rheumatic disease, but, settling in Auckland, became a prominent member of Middlemore C.C. side for several seasons.

BRAUND, LEONARD CHARLES, who died at his home in Fulham on December 22, aged 80, was one of the best-known professional all-rounders of his time and between 1902 and 1907 played in twenty-three matches for England. He enjoyed a long and distinguished career. After appearing occasionally for Surrey during three seasons, and when qualifying for Somerset, he profited from the experience of playing for London County with W. G. Grace. In 1899 against the Australians he scored 63 for an England XI on a bad pitch at Truro; 125 for W. G. Grace's XI at the Crystal Palace, he and Alec Hearne putting on 242 for the third wicket in two hours and forty minutes, and 82 for Somerset at Taunton.

A fine bat on all kinds of pitches, a beautiful field in the slips and a clever leg-break bowler, Braund showed such form directly he appeared in Championship matches for Somerset that in 1901 he scored 1,064 runs for them, with three hundreds and an average of 35, besides taking 78 wickets. His bowling successes included ten Yorkshire wickets at Taunton, eleven Kent wickets at Catford--five for 23 runs in the first innings--and seven Gloucestershire wickets for 70 in the second innings at Bristol. In a memorable match at Leeds, 222 of 238 arrears were hit off by L. C. H. Palairet and Braund before a wicket fell and the Somerset total reached 630. Palairet made 173, Braund 107 and F. A. Phillips 122. Then Yorkshire, set to make 393, failed so completely that they were all out for 113, suffering by 279 runs their only Championship defeat of the summer. Sharing the bowling honours with B. Cranfield, Braund took four wickets for 41.

Braund played for Somerset until 1920, six times registering over 1,000 runs in a season and four times taking more than 100 wickets. On three occasions, from 1901 to 1903, he achieved the cricketers' double. His bowling record in 1902 was 172 wickets for less than 20 runs each and in the following year 134 for just over 21 runs apiece, and each season he exceeded 1,400 runs. Altogether during his career he made 17,801 runs, average 25.61, took 1,101 wickets, average 27.45, and held no fewer than 508 catches.

His slip-catching was phenomenal. In the 1901 Gentlemenv. Players match at Lord's he dismissed C. B. Fry with the catch of the season and in the 1902 Test match at Birmingham he disposed of Clem Hill with a long talked-about effort which helped Rhodes and George Hirst dispose of Australia for 36--the smallest total for which they have been dismissed in a Test. Anticipating a leg-glance by the left-handed Hill off Hirst, the fast left-arm bowler, Braund darted across from slip to the leg-side and held an amazing catch. Braund played in all that series of five Test matches. At Manchester he joined F. S. Jackson when five wickets were down for 44 and shared in a partnership of 141, of which his share was 65. Wonderful bowling by W. H. Lockwood subsequently left England on the second evening with victory in sight, but following a heavy fall of rain during the night Australia snatched a win by three runs. Had F. W. Tate caught J. Darling, whose 37 was top score in a second innings total of 86, off Braund, the result must have been different, for four wickets would have been down for 16. By holding two catches at slip off S. F. Barnes, Braund was responsible for Darling getting a pair in the Test at Sheffield.

With the teams led by A. C. MacLaren in 1901-2, P. F. Warner in 1903-4 and A. O. Jones in 1907-8, Braund went to Australia three times and on his first visit, when he made 103 not out at Adelaide, his batting average for the Test matches was 36 and he took twenty-one wickets. During the next tour he scored 102 at Sydney when R. E. Foster, with 287, created a record, but on his third trip he fared moderately. Against the famous South African attack of 1907, Braund hit 104 at Lord's, this being one of the two centuries obtained in Test matches against the bowling combination which included Aubrey Faulkner, R. O. Schwarz, A. E. Vogler and Gordon White.

After giving up active cricket, Braund became a first-class umpire, discharging his duties with marked ability until the end of the 1938 season. In 1943 it became necessary for his right leg to be amputated and three years later he lost the other, but his cheerfulness and his enthusiasm for cricket remained undiminished and for some years he watched cricket at Lord's seated in a bath chair. He was one of the twenty-six retired professional cricketers who in 1949 were given honorary membership of M.C.C.

C. B. Fry, the former England captain, said of Braund: He was one of the greatest all-round cricketers--and to think that Surrey let him go! The thing about Len Braund was that he was a big-match player. I have never seen a better slip fieldsman. He had such a delicate hand. He would push it out and the ball would stick. Archie MacLaren would never take the field without him. He was a most valuable member of the England team and as cool as a cucumber.

C. T. Bennett, captain of the 1925 Cambride University team described by Sydney H. Pardon, then Editor of Wisden, as probably the best sent up to Lord's by either University since the war, said: Braund was the greatest gentleman in cricket, either amateur or professional, I ever met. His coaching made the 1925 side, four of whom played for the Gentlemen at Lord's that year, and K. S. Duleepsinhji would be the first to admit that he owed him a lot.

BROOKES, MR. WILFRED H., who died in a nursing home at Putney on May 28, aged 60, was Editor of Wisden from 1936 to 1939, and for several years until the outbreak of the Second World War a partner in the Cricket Reporting Agency.

BROOKMAN, MR. SIDNEY GEORGE, who died suddenly at Bristol on May 2, aged 80, was father-in-law of T. W. Graveney, the England and Gloucestershire cricketer, who left the match with the University at Oxford upon hearing the news of his death. One of the oldest active cricketers in the country, Brookman once played against Dr. W. G. Grace. He had been a member of the Schoolmasters' C.C. since he was 18 and until 1954 played occasionally for Bristol Wayfarers C.C. of which he was a founder member. He also played Rugby football for Bristol, Saracens and United Services.

BROWNLEE, MR. L. D., who died on September 22, aged 72, represented Oxford in the 1904 University match in which J. F. Marsh (Cambridge) set up a record for the highest individual innings in the big fixture by scoring 172 not out in the second innings. Brownlee also played golf for his University against Cambridge in 1905. In the Clifton XI from 1899 to 1901, he headed the batting averages in 1900. From 1901 to 1909 he appeared occasionally for Gloucestershire for whom, against Kent at Canterbury in 1902, he hit 103, his only century in first-class cricket.

BURN, MR. ROLAND CLIVE WALLACE, who died on May 8, aged 72, played as a slow bowler for Oxford against Cambridge in four years from 1902 to 1905 without achieving much success. In the Winchester XI in 1901, he headed the bowling averages with 33 wickets, average 19.90. He visited the West Indies with Lord Brackley's Team in 1905, taking 37 wickets during the tour--eight of them for 18 runs against Eighteen of Jamaica in an innings of 165.

CARTWRIGHT, MR. PHILIP, who died in a sanatorium at Virginia Water on November 21, aged 75, appeared for Sussex between 1905 and 1922. Born at Gibraltar, he was a steady left-hand batsman who played many valuable defensive innings. His best season for the county was that of 1909, when he scored 730 runs, average 24.33, including an innings of 101, his only first-class century, against Leicestershire at Leicester, he and C. L. A. Smith, his captain, sharing in an eighth wicket partnership of 168. Wisden referring to Cartwright, said: He is far better than his somewhat peculiar style might lead one to suppose.

COE, SAMUEL, who died at his home at Earl Shilton, Hinckley, on November 4, aged 82, was one of the best batsmen who ever played for Leicestershire. Between 1896 and 1923 he scored 17,438 runs, average 24.69, seven times passing 1,000 in a season. The highest of his nineteen centuries, 252 not out, hit without chance in four hours when he was 41 from the Northamptonshire bowling at Leicester in 1914, remains the biggest innings ever played for the county. He represented Players against Gentlemen at The Oval in 1908. An attractive left-hand batsman, he was specially good in on-side strokes. Also a useful left-arm medium-pace bowler, he took 336 wickets.

COHEN, PILOT OFFICER ALEC, who was killed in a flying accident in May, aged 21, joined the Glamorgan ground staff at the beginning of last summer. A wicket-keeper and batsman, he represented the Welsh Secondary Schools at both cricket and Rugby football.

CREW, MR. A. E., who died at Bristol just before the start of last season, aged 68, had been scorer for Gloucestershire. For over thirty years he was English and games master at Cotham Grammar School. He helped to bring to the notice of the County Club C. A. Milton and J. Mortimore, former pupils of his school. A good club wicket-keeper, he also at one time captained Bristol R.F.C.

DORNING, MR. HERBERT, who died at Truro on February 2, aged 80, was well known for his activities in fostering cricket in the Argentine. Indeed, a Buenos Aires newspaper, in recording his death, referred to him as the W. G. Grace of Argentine cricket. He was a past President of the Argentine Cricket Association. Until 1935, he played in 33 of the annual North v. South matches, taking 210 wickets, average 13.45, and scoring 909 runs, highest innings l5l. Of Lancashire birth, he first played for Rosario and captained Belgrano for many years. He turned out against Lord Hawke's M.C.C. Team in 1912 and for Argentine against P. F. Warner's side in 1927 he distinguished himself by taking 10 wickets for 67 runs--seven of them in the first innings for 38. Originally a fast left-arm bowler, he later turned to medium pace. In his youth he was a good Association and Rugby footballer. He returned to England after the Second World War. One of his sons, Noel Dorning, is captain of Cornwall C.C.C.

FAIRFAX, MR. ALAN G., who died in London on May 17, aged 48, played as an all-rounder in ten Test matches for Australia from 1929 to 1931. He had been in indifferent health following a serious injury received during the Second World War, after which he joined the staff of a London Sunday newspaper. Progressing through grade cricket, Fairfax reached Inter-State rank following an innings of 107 for New South Wales Colts against Queensland Colts in 1928-29 and he made his first appearance as a steady and somewhat restrained stroke-player for Australia in the fifth Test match against A. P. F. Chapman's team that season. In the first innings he scored 65, sharing in a stand of 183 with D. G. Bradman (123) which set up a record for the fifth Australian wicket. He visited England under W. M. Woodfull in 1930, taking part in four of the Test Matches. With 53 not out his best innings, he averaged 50 against England, and in all first class games during the tour scored 536 runs, average 25.52, and, with right-arm medium-pace bowling from a good height, took 41 wickets for 29.70 runs each. Next season in Australia he played in all five Test Matches against West Indies, being third in the batting averages with figures of 48.75 for six innings. He returned to England in 1932 as professional to Accrington in the Lancashire League and afterwards until the outbreak of War ran an indoor cricket school in London.

FLINT, WILLIAM A., who died in Nottingham on February 5, aged 64, was one of the most prominent all-round sportsmen of his time. From 1919 till 1928 he played cricket for Nottinghamshire, scoring 3,345 runs and taking 237 wickets; from 1908 to 1926 he appeared as a wing half-back for Notts County F.C., becoming captain. In his first game for Nottinghamshire he took six wickets for 53 and two for 34 against Middlesex at Lord's and in the return game he hit 98, sharing with John Gunn in a last wicket stand of 111. His best season as an all-rounder was that of 1924, when he scored 412 runs and was second in his county's bowling figures with 58 wickets, average 19.74. That summer against Surrey at The Oval he scored 103, the highest of his three-figure innings, he and W. Walker adding 178 for the seventh wicket, When scoring a hard-hit 100 not out from the Northamptonshire bowling at Trent Bridge in 1927, he helped W. Payton in an unfinished partnership of 247 in three hours.

GILES, MR. WALTER, who died at Bristol in June, aged 74, was Honorary Treasurer of Gloucestershire from 1937 till his death. He was a member of the County Committee for thirty years. In his youth he played for United Banks. For many years President of the Bristol and District Cricket Association and the Umpires' Association, he was also prominent in local Freemasonry.

GOLD, MR. PETER HENRY GRAHAM, who died on November 3, aged 54, was in the Harrow XI for three years from 1918, being captain in 1920. In the match with Eton in 1919, when Harrow twice collapsed against the bowling of W. W. Hill-Wood and C. H. Gibson, Gold was top-scorer in the second innings with 12 out of a total of 41. He did not get a cricket Blue at Cambridge, but played against Oxford at golf in 1923 and 1924. He was related to C. A. Gold, who played for Eton in 1905 and 1906, their fathers being double-first cousins.

GOODWIN, MR. HARRY SMYTH, who died on November 13, aged 85, played 50 innings for Gloucestershire between 1896 and 1907, scoring 546 runs, average 12.40. His highest score was 46 against Somerset at Taunton in 1899. For some years he was President of Horsham C.C.

GREEN, MR. HERBERT, who died at Mitcham, Surrey, on November 27, played for some years for the East Lancashire C.C. and was a member of the team which won the Worsley Cup in 1925. He played hockey for Blackburn from 1919 to 1933.

HAIGH SMITH, MR. HAMILTON AUGUSTUS, who died in St. Mary's Hospital, London, following an operation on October 28, aged 71, made occasional appearances as batsman and slow bowler for Hampshire from 1909 to 1914. His highest score was 43 not out against Worcestershire at Worcester in his first season. He also represented the county at Rugby football and hockey. Educated at Marlborough, he was best known for his activities in football circles. As a forward he played for Trojans, Blackheath and the famous Barbarians before the First World War, and for some years was Hon. Secretary of the Barbarians, of which club he was also President at the time of his death. In 1938 he was Hon. Assistant-manager of the British Rugby team which toured South Africa and became Hon. Treasurer of the Four Home Unions Tours Committee. For a number of seasons he acted as touch-judge for England in international matches.

HARGREAVES, MR. TOM KNIGHT, who died in hospital at Rotherham on November 19, aged 61, was a prominent all-rounder in Yorkshire Council cricket from 1921 till 1951. He played for Wath till he was 57, scoring many runs and proving successful as a slow bowler. A forcing batsman, he scored 191 in ninety minutes against Brampton in 1935. He brought off one of the biggest hits in cricket on one occasion when playing at the Wath Athletic Ground. A mighty six sent the ball soaring out of the ground and into a wagon of a goods-train on the nearby railway line. The ball was carried on to Scunthorpe.

HARTIGAN, MR. GERALD PATRICK DESMOND, who died in a Durban hospital on January 7, aged 70, played for South Africa at both cricket and Association football. As a right-handed batsman and fast-medium bowler, he appeared for Border in the Currie Cup competition from 1903 to 1927, his highest innings being 176 not out against Eastern Province in 1910-11. In 1912 he was a member of the South African team who figured in the Triangular Tournament in England, but he played in only twelve matches, including two Tests, for, in returning a ball from the deep field, he fractured an arm. In 1913-14 he took part in the first three Test matches against the England touring side led by J. W. H. T. Douglas and at Johannesburg in the second was top scorer in the first innings with 51.

HEARN, MR. WILLIAM HENRY, who died on November 19, was a well-known cricketer and umpire in the Tunbridge Wells area for many years. His father was at one time groundman at the Nevill Ground and his son is P. Hearn, the Kent left-landed batsman.

HUNTER, MR. CHARLES HERBERT, who died on April 2, aged nearly 88, played in two matches for Kent in 1895 when with Bickley Park C.C. One of these games was that in which Dr. W. G. Grace, hitting 257 and 73 not out for Gloucestershire at Gravesend, was on the field for the whole of the three days. In that season W. G. became the first batsman in history to score 1,000 runs in May. A good wicket-keeper, Hunter played for Uppingham in 1885 and 1886, but did not get a Blue when going up to Cambridge, where he was overshadowed by Gregor MacGregor, of Middlesex and England fame.

HYLTON, MR. LESLIE G., died in Jamaica on May 17, aged 50. He played in six Test Matches for West Indies. A fast bowler for Jamaica, he helped in the winning of the rubber against R. E. S. Wyatt's team in the West Indies in 1934-35 when, in four Tests, he dismissed 13 batsmen at an average cost of 19.30. In 1939, he visited England under the captaincy of R. S. Grant, being chosen for two of the Test matches, but met with moderate success.

JESSOP, MR. GILBERT LAIRD, who died at St. George's Vicarage, Dorchester, on May 11, aged 80, was famed as the most remarkable hitter cricket has ever produced. He had lived with the Rev. Gilbert Jessop, his only child, from 1936 till his death.

Born at Cheltenham on May 19, 1874, he enjoyed a memorable career in first-class cricket which, dating from 1894 to the start of the First World War, extended over twenty years. There have been batsmen who hit the ball even harder than Jessop, notably C. I. Thornton and the two Australians, George Bonnor and Jack Lyons, but no one who did so more often or who, in match after match, scored as rapidly. Where Jessop surpassed all other hitters was in the all-round nature of his scoring. At his best, he could make runs from any ball, however good it might be. Although only 5 ft. 7 ins. in height, he bent low as he shaped to play, a method which earned him the sobriquet of The Croucher. Extraordinarily quick on his feet, he was ready to hit firm-footed if the ball were pitched well up and equally, when it was of shorter length, to dash down the pitch and drive. When executing leg-side strokes, he almost lay down and swept round with the bat practically horizontal, putting great power behind the ball as, thanks to strong, supple wrists, he also did when bringing off the square cut. Lightness of foot allied to wonderful sight made it possible for him to run out to the fastest bowlers of his time--Richardson and Mold--and at the peak of his form pull or straight-drive them with almost unerring certainty. No one ever approached him in this particular feat; indeed, nobody else could have attempted it with reasonable hope of success.

At times Jessop sacrificed his wicket through trying to hit before he got a true sight of the ball or judged the pace of the turf and, not unnaturally in view of the liberties he took with good length bowling, the ball which kept low often dismissed him. A batsman with such marvellous gifts that in half an hour he might win a game seemingly lost, he was a wonderful personality on the field and the idol of spectators who always love a fearless batsman.

Jessop's claims to distinction were not limited to the brilliancy of his run-getting. For a number of years he ranked high as a fast bowler and for a man of his pace he showed surprising stamina. Far more remarkable than his bowling, however, was his fielding, which might fairly be termed as phenomenal as his hitting and which was a matter of great pride to him. No hit proved too hard for him to stop and his gathering and returning of the ball approached perfection. In his early days he fielded at cover-point; later he specialised in the position of extra mid-off, standing so deep that with almost anyone else a run would have been a certainty. Jessop's presence deterred the boldest of batsmen from making any attempt. In short, such a fine bowler and such a superb fieldsman was he that, even without his batting ability, he would have been worth a place in almost any team. A man of engaging manners, he was a charming companion and, like most truly great men, modest to a degree.

First tried for Gloucestershire in 1894, Jessop established his reputation a year later when, among other performances, he hit 63 out of 65 in less than half an hour from the Yorkshire bowling at Cheltenham. He continued to assist Gloucestershire till the end of his first-class career and for thirteen years from 1900 he captained the side. By 1897 he had become one of the great players of the day, making 1,219 runs in first-class matches and taking 116 wickets for less than 18 runs each. In that summer he hit two particularly noteworthy innings--140 for Cambridge University against the Philadelphians in 95 minutes and 101 out of l18 in 40 minutes against Yorkshire at Harrogate. In the course of the latter display he hit the ball six times out of the ground and some dozen times over the ropes. Until 1907 a hit over the ropes counted four; only a hit out of the ground earned six. Except in 1898 he regularly made over 1,000 runs every season until 1909, when a bad back injury sustained while fielding in the Test match at Leeds in early July kept him out of the game for the rest of the year. In 1900 he scored 2,210 runs and took 104 wickets and next summer his aggregate amounted to 2,323, including 157 out of 201 in an hour against West Indies at Bristol.

Among his 53 centuries were five of more than 200: 286 out of 335 in 175 minutes for Gloucestershire against Sussex at Brighton, 1903 (he and J. H. Board adding 320 for the sixth wicket); 240 out of 337 in 200 minutes for Gloucestershirev. Sussex at Bristol, 1907; 234 out of 346 in 155 minutes for Gloucestershirev. Somerset at Bristol, 1905; 233 out of 318 in 150 minutes for An England XI v. Yorkshire at Lord's, 1901; and 206 out of 317 in 150 minutes for Gloucestershirev. Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge, 1904.

Four times for Gloucestershire he reached three figures in each innings of a match: 104 and 139 v. Yorkshire at Bradford, 1900, when the newspapers stated that, in the two innings he cleared the ropes more than twenty times; 143 and 133 not out v. Somerset at Bath, 1908; 161 and 129 v. Hampshire at Bristol, 1909; and 153 and 123 not out v. Hampshire at Southampton, 1911. He achieved the feat on another occasion, against Somerset in a friendly game organised for the opening of a new club pavilion. S. M. J. Woods termed this a remarkable performance on a pitch far from true and against professional bowling. Altogether in first-class cricket he hit 26,058 runs, average 32.60.

His bowling successes included 8 wickets for 34 runs v. Hampshire, 1898; 5 for 13 v. Lancashire, 1895; 8 for 54 v. Lancashire, 1898; 8 for 29 v. Essex, 1900; 8 for 58 v. Middlesex, 1902. All these were achieved for Gloucestershire except that against Hampshire, on which occasion he was playing for Cambridge. His wickets in first-class cricket totalled 851, average 22.91.

Jessop took part in eighteen Test matches between 1899 and 1909, thirteen against Australia and five against South Africa, and would probably have appeared in others but for the back strain he suffered in l909. He disappointed in Australia except for his fielding, and in most of the contests in England met with moderate success; but he earned undying fame in The Oval Test of 1902. There, under conditions considerably helpful to bowlers, England, set 273 to make to win, lost their first five wickets for 48. Australia looked to have the match in hand, but Jessop joined F. S. Jackson and in marvellous fashion hit 104 out of 139 in an hour and a quarter, paving the way to victory by one wicket for England. Twice he sent the ball on to the roof of the Pavilion and from another big hit was caught on the Players' Balcony by H. K. Foster.

Jessop went to Cambridge in 1896 and played for the University for four seasons, being captain in 1899. He accomplished little of note against Oxford in the way of batting, two innings of over 40 being his best scores on the big occasion, but he bowled to good purpose in two of the games, taking six wickets for 65 in the first innings in 1897 and six for 126 in the first innings a year later.

Besides his cricketing ability, Jessop was an all-round athlete of note. He got his Blue as a hockey goalkeeper, but fell ill and could not play in the University match; came near getting an Association football Blue and played for The Casuals as half-back or goalkeeper. He also appeared as a wing threequarter for Gloucester R.F.C. He would have played billiards for Cambridge against Oxford, but was gated and could not take part. In one week he made two breaks of over 150. He could run the 100 yards in 10.2 seconds and frequently entered for sports meetings. A scratch golfer, he took part in the Amateur Championship in 1914, was Secretary of the Cricketers' Golfing Society and for some years Secretary of the Edgware Club.

In addition to the visit he paid to Australia in 1901-2 under A. C. MacLaren, he went to America with the team captained by P. F. Warner in 1897, and again in 1899 when K. S. Ranjitsinhji led the side.

For Beccles School in 1895, when a master there, Jessop scored 1,058 runs, average 132, and took 100 wickets at a cost of less than two and a half runs apiece.

He served as a captain in the Manchester Regiment during the First World War from 1914 till he was invalided out with a damaged heart in 1918. Married in October 1902, he first met his bride a few months earlier during his visit to Australia. She died in 1953.

Tributes paid to Jessop include:

Sir Pelham Warner: He was a wonderful cricketer. It was a great pleasure to play with or against him. It has been said that he was unorthodox, but no one watched the ball more closely.

Sir John Hobbs: He was undoubtedly the most consistently fast scorer I have seen. He was a big hitter, too, and it was difficult to bowl a ball from which he could not score. He made me glad that I was not a bowler. Gilbert Jessop certainly drew the crowds, too, even more than Bradman, I should say.

KINGSTON, MR. H. E., who died on June 9, aged 78, took part in the first match for Northamptonshire when they were accorded first-class status in 1905. In that game, against Hampshire at Southampton, he scored 33 and 68. He played in twelve matches altogether during 1905 and the following season.

KNIGHT, MR. ROBERT FRANCIS, who died on January 9, aged 75, was a member of the team which played against Hampshire at Southampton in Northamptonshire's opening game as a first-class county in 1905. He made occasional appearances for the county till 1921. He was in the Wellingborough School XI and though not very successful in county cricket, enjoyed considerable success in club matches. For Wellingborough Amateurs in 1910, he scored 98 and took ten Burton-on-Trent wickets for 62. He also achieved distinction at hockey, golf, Rugby and Association football.

LAWTON, MR. ALBERT E., who died in a Manchester nursing home on Christmas Day, aged 76, played for Derbyshire from 1900 to 1909. Very tall, he was a prodigious hitter. He captained Derbyshire in 1902 when he hit three of his ten first-class centuries--149 (in two and a quarter hours) against London County, captained by W. G. Grace; 146 v. Hampshire and 126 (in just over two hours) v. Warwickshire, all at Derby. In all matches that season he scored 1,044 runs, average 27.47. He continued to lead the county side the following season and for the next two shared the captaincy with E. M. Ashcroft. When his activities in the cotton industry took him to Manchester, he appeared for Lancashire from 1912 till the outbreak of the First World War in 1914. In all he scored 7,254 runs in first-class cricket, average 25.10, took 112 wickets, average 30.85, and held 118 catches.

MCCAUGHEY, MR. S., who died at Deniliquin, N.S.W., on January 29, played as a fast bowler in two games for Cambridge University in 1913. In the first innings of Middlesex at Fenner's, he took seven wickets for 46 runs.

MORTIMER, SIR RALPH GEORGE ELPHINSTONE, who died at Ponteland, Northumberland, on May 3, aged 85, played in one match for Lancashire in 1891 and for some seasons from 1893 assisted Northumberland, for whom he scored three centuries. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge, he did not gain a place in either eleven. He had been President and Chairman of Northumberland. Always prominent in local affairs, he was High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1916-17. He received the O.B.E. in 1920 and was knighted in 1934.

NEALE, WILLAM LEGGE, who after a long illness died in hospital at Gloucester on October 26, aged 51, played for Gloucestershire from 1923 till 1948, scoring 14,752 runs, average 23.75. Educated at Cirencester Grammar School, he appeared as an amateur for six years before becoming a professional. Of his fourteen centuries, the highest was 145 not out against Hampshire at Southampton in 1927. His best summer as a steady right-handed batsman was that of 1938 when, reaching three figures on five occasions, he scored 1,488 runs, average 29.76. Six times he exceeded 1,000 runs in a season. In 1937 he (121) and W. R. Hammond (217) set up a Gloucestershire fourth wicket record by adding 321 against Leicestershire at Gloucester. Though not often called upon to bowl, he occasionally broke a stubborn stand when the regular members of the attack had failed to do so, and at Bristol in 1937 he distinguished himself by dismissing six Somerset batsmen for nine runs. As a fieldsman he excelled near the boundary.

OXLADE, MR. ROBERT AUBREY, who died in Sydney on September 13, aged 69, was a former Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary of the Australian Board of Control for International Cricket. He joined Manly C.C. in 1910 and for many years was the club's delegate to the New South Wales Cricket Association, of which he became a life member. He was a solicitor.

PALAIRET, MR. RICHARD CAMERON NORTH, who died at his home at Budleigh Salterton, Devon, on February 11, aged 83, played, like his more famous brother, Lionel, for Repton, Oxford University and Somerset. Born at Grange-over-Sands, Lancashire, on June 25, 1871, Richard was the more consistent of the two brothers during three seasons in the Repton XI from 1888, hitting 172 against Malvern. An injury received while playing as inside forward at Association football at Oxford prevented him from rivalling Lionel in more important cricket, for he was a graceful batsman, strong in forward play and possessing a fluent drive. As it was, a damaged knee handicapped him in running and batting and ended his activities as an athlete at which he excelled at school. Even so, he gained his Blue in 1893 and 1894 as an opening batsman. Among his best performances was that against Lancashire when, with Briggs and Mold bowling for the county, he scored 70 out of 94 in sixty-five minutes. He also played in the Association football match against Cambridge in 1891.

From 1889 to 1902 he appeared frequently for Somerset, his highest innings being 156 against Sussex at Taunton in 1896. In the winter of 1896-97, he formed one of the team taken to the West Indies by Sir Arthur Priestley. Soon after the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 he took a commission in the Devonshire Regiment at the age of 43 and rose to the rank of Staff Captain, seeing much service in India. In 1920 he became Secretary of Surrey, a post he held till 1932, and in the winter of 1932-33 he and Sir Pelham Warner were joint managers of D. R. Jardine's M.C.C. Team in Australia on what became known as The Bodyline Tour. From 1937 to 1946 he was President of Somerset. After service as an air raid warden in the Second World War, his health steadily failed.

PHILLIPS, MR. FRANK ASHLEY, who died on March 5, aged 81, played in three University matches for Oxford late in the last century. After being in the XI at Rossall for three years from 1889, he gained a Blue in 1892 and, though passed over in the following season, in 1894 and 1895. With the cut and the drive his best strokes, he was a free-scoring batsman, though not specially strong in defence, a fine deep fieldsman and useful medium-pace bowler. His best performance against Cambridge was in 1894 when, hitting 78, he helped C. B. Fry in a fifth wicket partnership of 137. In 1892 he played for Essex, then a second-class county, and from 1894 he assisted Monmouthshire, the county of his birth, until in 1897 he began an association with Somerset which lasted till 1911.

His highest innings for Somerset was 163 against Sussex at Taunton in 1899 when, in a game yielding 1,293 runs for the loss of twenty-six wickets, he and C. A. Bernard put on 171 for the third wicket. Phillips bore a handsome part in the one defeat of Yorkshire on their way to the County Championship in 1901. Against the bowling of Hirst, Rhodes and Haigh, Somerset were dismissed at Leeds for 87 but, facing first innings arrears of 238, they built up a total of 630, of which Phillips's share was 122, and triumphed by 279 runs. In 1895, he was a member of Frank Mitchell's team which visited America. A schoolmaster by profession, he served in both the Boer War and the First World War, when he was awarded the D.S.O., and for a time was an assistant District Commissioner in Southern Nigeria.

PLATT, GEORGE J. W., who died at Old Hill, Birmingham, on April 14, aged 73, played occasionally as a medium-paced bowler for Surrey from 1906 to 1914. In 1909 at The Oval, he took five wickets for 40 in the Somerset second innings, the last four in 16 deliveries for 11 runs. His best season was that of 1910 when in thirteen county games he dismissed 43 batsmen for 19.65 runs each. After the First World War he became professional to Old Hill C.C., doing good work as off-break bowler, and later played for West Bromwich Dartmouth before taking up the position of head groundsman and coach at Worcester which he held till his retirement in 1952.

POYNTZ, COLONEL H. S., who died on June 22, aged 77, played occasionally for Somerset between 1904 and 1910. His best performance was at Beckenham in his first season when he scored 85 and 48. Kent won the match thanks to the all-round success of J. R. Mason, who, besides hitting 126, took ten wickets for 180 runs. Poyntz was also a good Association footballer and captained the Army in 1907. He fought in the Boer War and in the First World War in which he was awarded the D.S.O. and twice mentioned in despatches.

PREST, MR. HAROLD EDWARD WESTRAY, who died on January 5, aged 64, gained his Blue at Cambridge for cricket, golf and Association football early in the century. In the Malvern XI for three years before going to the University, he headed the batting averages in 1908 with 174 not out his best innings, and Wisden stated: It is doubtful whether Prest had a superior as a batsman among the school boys of the year. He plays in excellent style, with a full quiver of fine forcing strokes anywhere except behind point. He is a fine field into the bargain.

He played against Oxford as a Freshman in 1909, when he scored 54 and shared in a sixth wicket partnership of 94 with J. F. Ireland. His other University match was that of 1911, when he made 6 and 16. In the second innings he fell to a magnificent wide return catch with the left hand by P. R. Le Couteur off a full-blooded drive. Le Couteur did much to win the match for the Dark Blues by taking in that innings eight wickets for 99 runs. Prest played a little for Kent between 1909 and 1911. In the last season he distinguished himself with an innings of 133 not out in two and a half hours against Somerset at Taunton, taking part in stands of 108 with F. H. Huish and 128 with D. W. Carr. This was his only century in first-class cricket.

RICE, FATHER WILLIAM IGNATIUS, O.S.B., M.A., who died at Douai Abbey on April 22, aged 72, was Headmaster of Douai School from 1915 to 1952. In his younger days he played for Warwickshire during the summer holidays and for some years enjoyed the distinction of being the only monk whose cricket performances were chronicled in Wisden.

RILEY, MR. WILLIAM NAIRN, who died at Hove on November 20, aged 62, gained a Blue as opening batsman for Cambridge in 1912 when the Light Blues, following a tie on the first innings, beat Oxford in an exciting struggle by three wickets. The result might have been even closer had not G. E. V. Crutchley, after reaching 99 not out in the first Oxford innings, been compelled to retire from the match owing to measles. From 1911 to the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Riley, who was educated at Worcester Grammar School, appeared for Leicestershire with no special distinction except in 1913. That season he scored 521 runs, average 22.65, and registered a hard-hit century against Yorkshire at Leicester. Actually he obtained 100 out of 141, at one point 60 out of 72 in forty minutes, punishing G. H. Hirst for 24 in an over. In the same match he brought off a remarkable right-hand catch in the long field when dismissing M. W. Booth. He was a Vice-President of Sussex.

SHINDE, SADASHIV G., who died in Bombay on June 22, aged 31, played in seven Test Matches for India between 1946 and 1952. A slow leg-break and googly bowler, he toured England in 1946 and 1952 without much success. His best performance in a Test match was in the first England innings at New Delhi in 1951-52, when he took six wickets for 91 runs.

SORRIE, MR. JAMES WEBSTER, who died at Blackpool in August, aged 69, played twelve times for Scotland between 1912 and 1924. For many years he was a leading batsman for the Carlton Club, Edinburgh, being specially effective against fast bowling.

WETHERALL, MR. C. R., who died on April 22, aged 76, played as a batsman for Northamptonshire in the early part of the century before they became a first-class county.

WHITE, MR. FREDERICK CHARLES, who died in a Brighton hospital on June 2 following a road accident, was a Vice-President of Sussex and Chairman of the Sussex Cricket Club Welfare Association. Since the War, he helped to raise thousands of pounds for sporting charities.

WINSTON, MR. JOHN HENRY ERNEST, who died on December 15, aged 62, was a Vice-President of the Guy's Hospital and Old Whitgiftians cricket and Rugby football clubs. For many years he was fixtures secretary of Guy's R.F.C.

© John Wisden & Co