Obituaries in 1946

ADEY, MR. F., died at Bristol on September 13, aged 87. A friend of W. G. Grace, he was connected with Bristol Umpires Association for forty years.

BAKER, SIR HERBERT, K.C.I.E., F.R.I.B.A., died at Cobham, Kent, on February 4 in his 84th year. Tonbridge XI 1878-81. Captain 1880-81. Royal Academician and eminent architect.

BARKER, MR. ARTHUR HARRY COCHRANE, died at Winchester on January 21, aged 75. Winchester XI 1887-89. Brewer (A. Guinness, Son & Co., Dublin).

BEET, GEORGE, achieved his ambition of umpiring in a Test match before he died on December 13, at his home in Derby. Appointed to the umpires' list in 1929, he stood regularly, and at length was chosen for the England and India Test at Manchester in July 1946. On the way home by train from that game, Beet was taken seriously ill and rushed to Derby Infirmary for an operation. From this illness he never recovered. He made his first appearance as wicket-keeper for Derbyshire in 1910, and last played for them in 1922. Very dependable behind the sticks, he also gave useful help with the bat, and in 1919 was second in the Derbyshire averages with 24.80. For several seasons Fred Root was the Derbyshire fast bowler, and the junction of their names in many scores earned the pair the endearing name of Beet-root. During the war George Beet and A. Fowler were the regular umpires in almost every match at Lord's. Beet in several winters went to South Africa as coach. He was sixty years old.

BROMLEY-MARTIN, MR. ELLIOT GEORGE, who died on January 23, aged 79, was principal bowler for Eton in 1884 and 1885. In the two matches against Winchester he took six wickets for 63 runs and six for 68, and at Lord's against Harrow eight for 94 and ten for 137. He played in trial games at Oxford but failed to get his Blue. Assisting Worcestershire occasionally, he was Honorary Secretary of the county club for some years, and went to Holland with Worcestershire Gentlemen in 1895. In 1897 he and Bird bowled unchanged in both innings against Hertfordshire, the visitors being dismissed for 75 and 116. That season Worcestershire easily headed the Minor Counties, winning seven and drawing their other three matches. Two years later Worcestershire entered the first class competition and E. G. Bromley-Martin continued to play sometimes. In 1888 he was in the Oxford Association team against Cambridge.

BROOKES, PAUL WILSON, a member of the Lord's ground staff, died in St. Mary's Hospital on January 27 from the effect of wounds received when with the Coldstream Guards in Italy. As a County of London schoolboy he headed the batting averages and played against both Eton and Harrow for selected schoolboy teams. When 16 years of age in 1938 he became famous by bowling Don Bradman in the nets at Lord's during practice before the season began. Hooking at a left-hand delivery, Bradman missed the ball, which took his middle stump.

BROWNE, MR. FRANKLIN DOUGHTY, died at Cobham, Kent, August 12, aged 73. Dulwich XI 1889-92 (captain). Kent County XI occasionally from 1899 to 1903. He captained Trinity College, Oxford, in 1895, but did not get his Blue.

BULMER, MR. T. A., who was elected an Honorary Life Vice-President of Durham County Club in appreciation of his exceptionally valuable services as Secretary since 1900, enjoyed the honour only a few months. He died on March 3 from a heart attack, at his home at Fence Houses. He was credited with a longer period of service than any other secretary of a first or second class county, his appointment dating back to May 16, 1906. Under his guidance Durham provided an object-lesson in running the game throughout the war, with some financial reward from increased membership and the regular growing help of all club cricketers in the county.

BURTT, MR. A. F., President of Club Cricket Conference from 1941 to 1945, died at Leigh-on-Sea in November.

CALDECOTT, MR. WILLIAM, of Castleton, Rochdale, President of the Central Lancashire Cricket League, died on January 5, aged 66. He was a life member and chairman of Castleton Moor Cricket Club.

CARR, MR. AUSTIN MICHAEL, who died on December 20, aged 49, played a little for Worcestershire in 1921 and 1922. A master at Abbesley Hall School, Abbesley.

CAVE, MR. WILLIAM FRANCIS, died at Bexhill, September 6th, aged 83. Eton XI 1880-82; Gloucestershire 1883. Architect.

CHALMERS, MR. GEORGE K., who died at Carnoustie on January 5, was a very good wicket-keeper for Forfarshire. He played for Scotland against Australia in 1909 and 1912, and against South Africa in 1912, besides several games against Ireland. He was a prominent Midland golfer.

CLAYTON, MR. FREDERICK GEORGE HUGH, died at Warkworth, Northumberland, March 20, aged 73. Harrow XI 1891-92. In the Oxford Freshmen's match 1893 he scored 230 and 70 not out, but failed to get his Blue. He played for Northumberland for many years from 1890. Member of Oxford University Authentics team which visited India in 1902-03. For Oxford he and H. K. Foster in 1895 beat Cambridge at rackets.

CORDING, MR. G. E., died on February 3 at Cardiff, aged 68. He played for the Cardiff club and Glamorgan from 1900, before the county secured first-class status in 1921, and continued until 1923. A useful bat and a brilliant slip field, he occasionally kept wicket. President of the Welsh Secondary Schools Cricket Association after his retirement from scholastic duties, he devoted all his spare time during the war to keeping the county cricket club alive, and then acted as honorary match secretary.

CRUISE, SIR RICHARD ROBERT, G.C.V.O., F.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., died at St. Mary's Hospital, London, on December 24, aged 70. Harrow XI 1895. Surgeon-oculist to King George V and Queen Mary. Keen hunting man.

DALTON, MR. GEORGE LONDESBROUGH, who died at Durban on July 12, aged 70, was a regular member of Natal teams in Currie Cup and other inter-provincial matches from 1897 to 1908. His highest score was 40 against Transvaal. His son, E. L. Dalton, has played for South Africa in Test matches, and he himself represented South Africa at Association football.

DARLING, MR. JOSEPH, died on January 2 at Hobart, Tasmania, aged 75. His passing recalls some of the most stirring times of cricket in England and Australia. A left-handed batsman of medium height and robust build, Darling invariably opened the innings. Possibly he did not show the same style as Warren Bardsley or Clem Hill, but he seldom failed, and could defend with stubborn steadiness or pull a game round by determined forcing tactics. Besides his run-getting powers, Darling in the field, notably at mid-off, held opposing batsmen in check, and as a captain he inspired his men to reveal their best form. Joseph Darling first came to England in 1896, and he captained the Australian sides that visited us in 1899, 1902 and 1905.

Starting cricket when very young, he revealed remarkable ability just before his fifteenth birthday, when, in a two-day match for St. Peter's College on the Adelaide Oval, he scored 252 out of 470, so beating 209 by George Giffen-then the highest innings in the State. Farming occupied him for some years, and not until the 1893-94 season did he play for South Australia. Then he found his form, and next season against the England team, captained by A. E. Stoddart, he made 117 and 37 not out, so helping materially in a victory for South Australia by six wickets. He averaged 38 against the Englishmen, and coming to England in 1896, he started at Sheffield Park with 67 and 35. In the Test matches of that tour he was not fortunate, but his value was established, and altogether he played in 31 matches for Australia against England and three against South Africa. Altogether in Test matches against England he made 1,632 runs, average 30.79. His highest score in England was 194 at Leicester in 1896, and an aggregate of 6,305 runs, average 33, for the four tours included a dozen centuries. Most successful in 1899, he made 1,941 runs, including five centuries, average 41.29. At Cambridge after a tie--436 on the first innings--he and Worrall hit off 124, the last 74 runs coming in twenty-eight minutes.

His side won the rubbers in 1899 and 1902, the second of these series being memorable for the tense finishes at Old Trafford, where Australia won by two runs, and Kennington Oval, where England won by one wicket. Under P. F. Warner, England regained The Ashes in the 1903 winter, and F. S. Jackson led England to a great triumph in 1905, when England were victorious in the only two finished games.

Jackson won the toss in each of those five Tests, and it was related that when they met again at the Scarborough Festival at the end of the tour, Darling, with a towel round his waist, waited in the dressing-room, and received Jackson with the remark, I'm not going to risk the toss this time except by wrestling. But the spin of the coin again favoured Jackson, and he scored 123 and not out 31 in a match unfinished because of rain.

By a remarkable coincidence Sir Stanley Jackson and Joseph Darling were born on the same day, November 21, 1870. So Darling passed on at the age of 75.

In 1908 Darling left Adelaide and settled in Tasmania as a farmer, and continued making many runs in club cricket until well over fifty. He became a member of the Legislative Assembly, being awarded the C.B.E. in 1938. So he followed the example of his father, the Hon. J. Darling, who, when a member of the Legislative Council of South Australia, was responsible for inaugurating a central cricket ground, famous for many years now as Adelaide Oval.

EDWARDS, MR. H. I. P., who died on September 24, did not get into the Winchester XI, but was good enough a batsman to play for Sussex against Kent at Canterbury in 1908.

FISHER-ROWE, MR. GUY HENRY, died in London, August 22, aged 68. Winchester XI 1893-95 (captain). Magdalen College, Oxford. Headmaster of St. David's Preparatory School, Reigate.

FOWKE, MAJOR G. H. S., captain of Leicestershire from 1922 to 1927, died on June 24, aged 65. He learned the game at Uppingham, where he was in the XI, and played for the county in 1908. Altogether he made 4,663 runs, average 19.75, in first-class cricket, faring best in 1922 with 922 runs in championship matches, and next year hitting 104 at Northampton, his first century for Leicestershire.

FULCHER, MR. EDWARD ARTHUR, died at Quest, Sidmouth, February 2. Made many runs for Devon between 1905 and 1930.

FULLER, MR. LANCELOT GRAHAME, who died at Bloemfontein on February 7, aged 43, was a very useful all-rounder for Orange Free State from 1924 to 1929. His best season was 1925-26, when his performances included seven wickets for 41 against a strong Natal team and a hard-hit 84 against Western Province, when he went in last and with L. R. Tuckett put on 115. In this match Tuckett shared in a century last-wicket partnership in each innings. Prominent in the administrative side of the game, Fuller, at the time of his death was President of the Orange Free State Cricket Union.

HADOW, MR. PATRICK FRANCIS, died at Bridgwater on June 29, aged 91. One of the seven sons of P. D. Hadow, himself an old Horrovian, he and three brothers played in the Harrow XI, W. H., who died in 1898, being specially famous. P. F. took a large share in the victory over a powerful Eton XI in 1873, when he patiently scored 54 not out, and Harrow, getting 167 in the last innings, won by five wickets. He played a little for Middlesex before going to Ceylon where he settled down as a tea planter. Three of the brothers played rackets for Harrow in the Public Schools Challenge Competition, and P. F., with F. D. Leyland, won the Cup in 1873. Five years later he won the Lawn Tennis Amateur Championship at Wimbledon, beating S. W. Gore, who was in the Harrow XI from 1867-69.

HEBDEN, MR. GEORGE LOCKWOOD, died at Bournemouth, June 11. Middlesex XI, 44 innings between 1908-19. Served in the 1914 war as a sergeant in the Artists' Rifles O.T.C. (wounded).

HILL, MR. H. J., who played for Hertfordshire for several years from 1899 and for a time captained the side, died in May. A free scorer, he made many runs. When in Australia after leaving Harrow, he excelled at real tennis and golf.

HUMPHRIES, J., one of the best of the famous wicket-keepers who have appeared for Derbyshire, died at Chesterfield on May 8, within ten days of reaching 70 years of age. First playing for the county in 1899 as understudy to William Storer--then still at his best-- Humphries gradually became the regular keeper, and from 1902 steadily improved until he went out to Australia in the winter of 1907. It proved an ill-fated tour; an attack of pneumonia kept A. O. Jones, the captain, out of the first three Tests, and in the first match R. A. Young of Cambridge and Sussex, who wore spectacles, was preferred as wicket-keeper--no doubt because of his batting. As a matter of fact Young scored only 27 runs in four Test innings, while Humphries, replacing him until the fifth Test, made 44 in six innings. Sir Home Gordon, in Form at a Glance, credited Humphries with 545 catches and 103 stumpings up to 1914, when the war finished his first-class career. His runs numbered 5,436, average 14.15.

IDDON, JOHN, the Lancashire all-rounder, was killed in a car accident at Crewe on April 17 when returning home from a business visit to the Rolls-Royce works. Born at Mawdesley, near Ormskirk, on January 8, 1903, he came of a cricketing family, his father being professional to the Lancaster club for fourteen years. After doing well for Leyland Motors, Jack Iddon made his first appearance for Lancashire against Oxford University in 1924, and played for the county for fifteen seasons prior to the war. He represented England in five Test matches, four against West Indies during the M.C.C. tour of 1934-35, and once against South Africa at Nottingham the following summer.

A right-handed, hard-driving batsman, Iddon reached a thousand runs in eleven successive seasons up to 1939, obtaining 2,261 in 1934, when Lancashire were Champion County for the fifth time during Iddon's career. Altogether he scored 22,679 runs in first-class cricket and took over 500 wickets. His first century came against Surrey at Old Trafford in 1927, and two years later he played his highest innings, 222 against Leicestershire at Liverpool.

Iddon bowled slow left-arm and was particularly effective when the wicket showed signs of wear. On such a pitch at Sheffield in 1937 he accomplished his best performance, taking nine wickets in the Yorkshire second innings for 42 runs and enabling Lancashire to beat their great local rivals after a lapse of five years. In 1936 his benefit realised £1,266.

Iddon did not rejoin Lancashire for the 1946 season, but hoped to play occasionally as an amateur. From 1929 to the time of his death he was technical representative to a firm of brake-lining experts in Manchester. He left a wife and two children. Damages totalling £9,801 were awarded at Stafford Assizes to Mrs. Iddon as compensation.

Iddon was the second Lancashire cricketer who met his death in a road accident in recent years. E. A. McDonald, the Australian and Lancashire fast bowler, was knocked down and killed by a motor-car on the Manchester-Chorley Road in 1937.

JEWELL, MR. JOHN MARK HERBERT, who died at Durban on October 28, played in two matches for Worcestershire in 1939, his highest score being 24 v. West Indies. Born at Bloemfontein in 1917, he was the son of J. E. Jewell, who played for Orange Free State from 1911 to 1926, and nephew of M. F. S. and A. N. Jewell. Joining the R.A.F. in 1938, he served throughout the war and was released with the rank of Squadron-Leader and awarded the M.B.E. He was for two years a prisoner of war.

KING, JOHN HERBERT, one of the best left-handed players of his day, died on November 21, aged 75. Born on April 16, 1871, he first appeared for Leicestershire in 1895, but did not assist the side regularly until 1899. As a batsman he displayed much confidence against fast bowling, being particularly effective in cutting and driving. A slow or medium-paced bowler, with a puzzling flight and good length, he required careful watching, while his slip fielding often reached a high standard. In first-class cricket he made over 25,000 runs and took more than 1,200 wickets; in 1912 his aggregates were 1,074, average 22.85, and 130 average 17.63. In the match against Northamptonshire at Leicester in 1913 he made 111 in the first innings and 100 not out in the second. A year later he carried out his bat for 227 against Worcestershire, and in the game with Hampshire at Leicester in 1923, when fifty-two years of age, he scored 205. He may be said to have been unlucky not to have appeared for England in more than one Test--that against Australia at Lord's in 1909, when he scored 60 and 4 and took only one wicket when opening the bowling with George Hirst. Perhaps his best performance was for the Players at Lord's in 1904. Substitute for J. T. Tyldesley, injured, because, as a member of the ground staff, he was at hand when the game was due to start, he played two great innings, 104 and 109 not out, the only instance of a professional making two separate 100's in this match at Lord's, as R. E. Foster and K. S. Duleepsinhji did for the Gentlemen. Two years later at The Oval for the Players he scored 89 not out and 88 and took two wickets. Among his best bowling feats were eight wickets for 17 runs (including seven without the cost of a run in twenty balls) against Yorkshire in 1911, and two hat-tricks--against Sussex at Hove in 1903, and against Somerset at Weston-super-Mare in 1920.

An unusual experience befell King at The Oval in May 1906 when playing against Surrey. Having hit the ball a second time in defence of his wicket, he ran, and on appeal was given out hit the ball twice. For some years he was a first-class umpire.

LACEY, SIR FRANCIS EDEN, who died on May 25, aged 86, will be remembered chiefly for his work as Secretary of the Marylebone Club. Appointed in 1898 on the retirement of Henry Perkins, Sir Francis held office for 28 years. A barrister by profession, Mr. Lacey used keen perception and business instincts in changing for the good all the easy-going methods obtaining for many years before he accepted the position. Drastic methods were necessary and were forthcoming in no uncertain manner. Under the new regime a strictly business tone prevailed during all matches and any slackness on the part of the employees disappeared. The new broom swept a little too clean perhaps, but in the end the Marylebone Club benefited enormously in having as their executive officer a man so able, so masterful and so painstaking. As the years went on, with the spread of cricket in so many parts of the world, big questions arose for decision and in the preparation of these for the deliberations of the M.C.C. Committee, the County Cricket Council Boards of Control and Imperial Conferences, Francis Lacey rendered splendid service to the game of cricket.

Born on October 19, 1859, at Wareham, Dorset, Francis Lacey went to Sherborne, and was in the eleven there from 1876 to 1878. He captained the school at football as well as at cricket. In 1878, when he made six separate hundreds for Sherborne, he appeared for Dorset, and next year he began an active association with Hampshire cricket which lasted until 1897, and included a continuous period of six seasons--1888 to 1893--during which he captained the county. Among a number of notable performances for Hampshire were innings of 157 and 50 not out, as well as eleven wickets, against Sussex at Hove in 1882, and of 211 and 92 not out against Kent at Southampton in 1884, while in 1887 at Southampton against Norfolk he made 323 not out, which at the time was the highest score on record in a county match. After leaving Sherborne he went up to Cambridge, and there played an innings of 271 for Caius College against Clare. In 1881 he was in the Cambridge football XI against Oxford, but not until 1882 did he get his Blue for cricket.

Rather over six feet in height, F. E. Lacey was a stylish bat, hitting with plenty of power especially in front of the wicket, a capital field, and a slow round-arm bowler with deceptive flight. On retirement from the office of Secretary in 1926, he received the honour of knighthood and was elected a trustee of the Marylebone Club. Mr. Perkins held office for over twenty-two years and Sir F. E. Lacey for over twenty-eight years, so that there were only two M.C.C. secretaries in half a century prior to the election of Mr. William Findlay, who served until June 1936, when Colonel R. S. Rait Kerr took office.

LEGGATT, LIEUT.-COL. WILLIAM MURRAY, R.A., D.S.O., died in London on August 11, aged 46. Winchester XI 1917 and 1918, when he averaged 22.50, and was the best bowler with 33 wickets at 8.26 each. He played occasionally for Kent, scoring 393 runs at an average of 30.23.

LESLIE-JONES, MR. FREDERICK ARCHIBALD, died at Malvern, January 24, aged 71. Bromsgrove XI 1891-93. Oxford Rugby XV 1894-96; England v. Ireland and Wales 1895.

LEVESON GOWER, REV. FREDERICK ARCHIBALD GRESHAM, died at Folkestone October 3, aged 75. In the Winchester XI 1889-90; and at Oxford he was tried a few times for the University but did not obtain his Blue. For Hampshire XI from 1891-1909 he appeared at times without getting many runs, but was a useful wicket-keeper.

LIVESAY, BRIG.-GEN. R. O'H., D.S.O., died on March 23. He played for Kent on occasions between 1895 and 1904. His best score, 78, was against the South Africans at Canterbury in 1904. A member of the Wellington XI for three years, he subsequently showed fine batting form for Sandhurst, making 169 against Woolwich in 1895 and 128 the following year. An attractive bat, he fielded admirably. A splendid Rugby footballer for the Blackheath club, he played for England against Wales in 1898-99.

LYLE, COL. SIR ARCHIBALD MOIR PARK, M.C., T.D., died in London, December 4, aged 62. Fettes, Stirling County and Scotland. Played for Oxford 1904 and 1906, but not against Cambridge. Represented Oxford against Cambridge in the 120 yards Hurdles 1904-06 and Putting the Weight 1905. Oxford XV 1902, 1904 and 1905. Ran against Harvard and Yale in 1904. Chairman of the Lyle Shipping Company.

MARCHANT, MR. FRANCIS, who died April 13, was closely connected with the Kent eleven over a period of twenty-three seasons--1883 to 1905--and captain of the side from 1890 to 1897. He was a brilliant and stylish batsman. Born at Matfield, Staplehurst, on May 22, 1864. Frank Marchant, after one term at Rugby, went to Eton, and was in the eleven there in 1882 and 1883. In his second match with Harrow at Lord's he gave a delightful display, making mainly by cutting and square-leg hitting, 93 out of 115 in ninety-five minutes. At Cambridge he gained his Blue as a Freshman, but his cricket career at the University was rather disappointing for a player of such promise. Had he exercised a little more restraint on first going in, he must, with his gifts, have attained the highest honours. Still, he did some great things for Kent, scoring 111 out of 150 in ninety-five minutes against Yorkshire at Sheffield in 1901, and in the same year 100 out of 141 on a bad wicket in seventy-five minutes against Middlesex at Lord's. In the match with Yorkshire at Leeds in 1896 he narrowly missed two separate hundreds, making 128 in the first innings and 88 in the second. His highest score for Kent was 176 against Sussex at Gravesend in 1889, when he and G. G. Hearne (103) put on 249 for the fourth wicket.

Marchant's most famous performance was an innings of 103 for the M.C.C. against the Australians at Lord's in 1893, when he and Flowers (130) put on 152 runs in seventy minutes.

MARSDEN, MR. EDWARD L., died at Hampstead, July 2, aged 75. Played for Hampstead for many years and for Middlesex against Philadelphia in 1897. Served in the 1914 war as 2nd Lieut., Bedfordshire Regiment.

MATHEWS, MR. LESLIE HENRY STAVERTON, died on April 7, aged 71. St. Paul's XI 1892-94. Balliol College, Oxford. Boxed for Oxford v. Cambridge. Heavy Weights 1897.

MUNRO, MR. RONALD MARTIN CUNLIFFE, died suddenly on October 6, aged 72. Harrow XI 1893. Clare College, Cambridge, Barrister. Served in the 1914 war 2nd Lieut., R.A. Fusiliers, 1917-18.

MURRIN, J. B., head groundsman at the Kent county ground, Canterbury, died on November 8 after forty years' service. He was nearly 73 years old. He kept the ground in splendid condition and the pitches he prepared were considered some of the best in the country. On August Bank Holiday a collection for him at Canterbury amounted to £260. His elderly assistant, J. Lockey, died on December 22. A useful all-round cricketer, Murrin played for the St. Lawrence club for many years.

NICE, E. H. L., a useful all-rounder, who played intermittently for Surrey from 1897 to 1905, died in June, aged 70. In 1904, his best season, he took 48 wickets at 29 runs apiece and was helped to a batting average of 24.60 by being not out five times in the course of 20 innings.

PATTERSON, MR. WILLIAM HARRY, almost a life-long figure in Kent cricket, died on May 3, aged 87. An exceptionally sound and skilful batsman, he could produce his best form without previous practice in first-class cricket. For many years, owing to the calls on his time as a solicitor, he got practically no county cricket until late in the season, but then he was as likely as anyone to make a big score. He was elected captain of Kent for the second half of the season four times. Playing with a very straight bat and watching the ball carefully, he surpassed most of his amateur contemporaries on the sticky turf so often experienced in the days before pitches underwent over-elaborate preparation.

Born at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, on March 11, 1859, Harry Patterson, after some years at school in Ramsgate, gained a place in the Harrow eleven, and, proceeding to Oxford, played a big part in a victory over Cambridge by 135 runs in 1881. The Light Blues, very strong with three Studds and A. G. Steel, were expected to gain a fourth consecutive victory, but the Oxford fast bowler, A. H. Evans, took thirteen wickets for ten runs apiece. His second effort came after Patterson, going in first, played so admirably for five hours, despite having a finger broken, that he carried out his bat for 107. Besides this heroic display, Patterson gave further help. Early in the innings C. F. H. Leslie played a ball back to A. F. J. Ford, who, over six feet in height, reached up, took it with one hand, and threw the ball up. Leslie walked towards the pavilion, but Patterson, not satisfied that it was a catch, appealed to Farrands, the umpire, who decided in favour of the batsman. Leslie raised a score of 8 to 70.

During twenty years, from 1880, Patterson made 6,902 runs for Kent, and in three seasons his average exceeded 40, the best being 49 in 1885. His highest innings was 181 against Somerset at Taunton in 1896; he and Lord Harris--who scored 119--put on 220 for the second wicket. Patterson shared in another stand of 220 against Somerset at Taunton two years later, when he made 111 and Alec Hearne 112, while against Gloucestershire at Gravesend in 1898 he and J. R. Mason (152) added 213 for the third wicket. He appeared for Gentlemen against Players four times in the eighties, and took part in Kent's victory over the Australians at Canterbury in 1884, the only success by a county against the touring teams of that season and 1882. At the time of Patterson's death, F. A. MacKinnon, Stanley Christopherson, M. C. Kemp and Alec Hearne were survivors of that triumphant eleven. Often serving on the M.C.C. Committee--first in 1893--he for some years was an auditor. After being Kent President he became a Vice-President and Trustee of the county club, retaining these offices until the end.

PERKINS, MR. THOMAS TOSWILL NORWOOD, who died at Tonbridge on July 20, aged 75, was a prolific scorer for St. John's School, Leatherhead, from 1884 to 1887. In his last year he played six three-figure innings, the highest being 238 against St. Bartholomew's Hospital, and at Blackheath against Proprietary School he did the hat-trick twice. He played for Cambridge in 1893-94, receiving his Blue from F. S. Jackson, and with him were K. S. Ranjitsinhji, A. O. Jones an England captain, H. Gay, the wicket-keeper who went to Australia in 1894, James Douglas, a splendid bat for Middlesex, and C. M. Wells, who played Rugby for England at half-back. Oxford were beaten by 266 runs. Always welcome in the Kent XI when available, he made 109 at Trent Bridge in 1903, and scored heavily for Band of Brothers and M.C.C. He appeared for Gentlemen against Players at The Oval in 1894. Subsequently he played for Hertfordshire and Wiltshire. On entering the scholastic profession he found less time for serious cricket.

A powerful Soccer player, he was in the Cambridge XI from 1892 to 1895. Perkins captained the side in 1894, and his dash at centre-forward together with the grand defence of L. V. Lodge at full-back brought about a surprise win over a great Oxford XI which included W. J. Oakley, C. B. Fry and G. O. Smith at Queen's Club on turf frozen hard.

PLENDER, RIGHT HON. BARON, G.B.E., of Sundridge, Kent, who died on January 19, aged 84, was President of Kent County Club in 1932.

REUNERT, MR. JOHN, who died at Johannesburg on July 25, aged 60, was a member of the Harrow eleven of 1904 and 1905. A fast bowler and hard-hitting left-hand batsman, he headed both batting and bowling averages in 1905, and in the second innings against Eton at Lord's nearly won the match with a splendid 92 scored out of 139 in seventy-five minutes. Wisden said, Not often at Lord's has a schoolboy played a pluckier or more daring innings. Going up to Cambridge University in 1906, Reunert did not reproduce this form and failed to get his Blue. Returning to his native South Africa, he played no cricket of note.

RIDGWAY, MR. CHARLES RUSSELL, who died at Bulawayo on October 26, aged 55, played occasionally for Staffordshire from 1913 to 1922. In 1921 he scored 98 against Surrey Second Eleven at The Oval. Going to live in South Africa in 1925, he did valuable work for a number of years as a member of the South African Cricket Association Board of Control and was the South African manager of the M.C.C. touring team in 1938-39.

ROMANS, MR. GEORGE, died suddenly at Bedminster on January 2, aged 69. Playing for Gloucestershire from 1899 to 1903, he scored 218 runs, average 13.62, and was at one time a member of the County Cricket Club Council. Rugby full-back for Gloucester, he captained the side from 1901 to 1905, and appeared for the county.

RUSSELL, MAJOR LEONARD G., of St. Cross, Winchester, who died on April 8, aged 90, as the result of a street accident, was honorary secretary of Green Jackets Cricket Club for fifty years. In his young days he played for Hampshire.

SALMON, SIR ERIC CECIL HEYGATE, died at Balham, July 9, aged 50. In the Malvern XI and played for Buckinghamshire.

SAMSON, REV. REGINALD MURRAY, died at Oxford, June 19, aged 92. Oakham School XI for four years. St. John's, Cambridge. A well-known slow bowler in the northern counties, playing for Kendal 1890-1905. For many years Headmaster of Hawkshead Grammar School.

SCOTT, MR. JOHN GORDON CAMERON, C.I.E., one of six Sussex players who scored a century on first appearing for the county, died on March 21. This fine display was against Oxford University at Eastbourne in July 1907, when he and Joe Vine (72) put up 163 for the first wicket in 110 minutes. Scott did not give a chance in his 137 and was eighth out at 285; the next highest score was 21. In a few other matches for Sussex he experienced little success. Captain of the Marlborough XI in 1906, he went to Cambridge and showed good form in a Seniors' match but did not get his Blue.

SMITH, WILLIAM C., the former Surrey slow bowler, died on July 15, aged 68. Extreme thinness brought him the affectionate nick-name of Razor, and he lived up to the description by getting much cut on the ball, while the off-break brought most of the 1,061 wickets, which he took at an average cost of 17.45, during a career which might have lasted more than from 1900 to 1914 but for his frail physique and weak heart--the cause of his death, which occurred at Surridge's, the firm with whom he was associated for many years. Owing to this weakness he seldom played through a full season, but when equal to the strain of much work he seldom failed, and, if helped by the state of the pitch, carried all before him.

In 1905 he and Rushby, a medium-fast right-hand bowler, dismissed Yorkshire for 26, the smallest total ever recorded by the county who were champions that year. Yorkshire wanted 113 to win in eighty minutes, and were dismissed in fifty minutes, Surrey winning by 86 runs. In a sensational match which the Australians won by 22 runs that season, twelve wickets fell to Smith for 117 runs, and he earned almost identical figures--twelve for 124--against the touring team of 1909. Most success came to him in 1910, when he was credited with 247 wickets at 13.06 each. Colin Blythe of Kent did next best with 175. In county championship matches he took 215 wickets at 12.56 apiece--most help coming from W. Hitch with 83 at 21.54 apiece, and he bowled more than twice as many overs as any one of his colleagues sent down. Against Northamptonshire at The Oval he returned astounding figures: 14 wickets at a cost of 29 runs in 28 overs and a ball; he also scored 31 not out, only Ducat, with 67, making more runs in that match.

Accurate length, deceptive flight and swerve from leg helped to make him extremely difficult. It was said at the time that for Surrey no slow bowler could be compared to Smith since James Southerton, some fifty years before. He was honoured deservedly with a place in the Players' eleven at Lord's that season.

STANNING, MR. HENRY DUNCAN, who died at Nakuru, Kenya, on March 5, aged 65, was in the Rugby XI, 1900.

STRAUSS, MAJOR SAREL STEPHANUS FRANCOIS, died suddenly at Pretoria on March 6, aged 53, while batting in a cricket match between two military teams. Best known as a South African Rugby international, he played cricket a few times for Griqualand West in Currie Cup and other matches in the years 1920 to 1922.

THOMPSON, MR. GEOFFREY WARD, died at Scarborough, December 27, aged 78. Rossall XI 1885 and 1886. Christ's College, Cambridge. An original member of the Santon golf club. Practised as a doctor at Scarborough for nearly fifty years.

THURSFIELD, J. BARRY, Sub-Lieut. R.N.V.R., of H.M.S. Loch Glendhu, died suddenly in Ceylon, aged 20. Winchester XI 1942 and 1943. With G. H. G. Doggart won the Public Schools Rackets Cup in 1943. Magdalen College, Oxford, before joining the Navy.

TOD, LIEUT.-COLONEL ARCHIBALD ASHTON, who died in London on January 15, aged 64, was a member of the Eton XI in 1899 and 1900. He just missed a century in his second match against Harrow at Lord's, playing a fine innings of 96. In 1901 he went to India, where he was A.D.C. to two Viceroys--Lord Minto and Lord Hardinge--and was a member of The Rifle Brigade polo team. He also played rackets and football very well.

TRISTRAM, MR. H. B., Who died in Jersey on October 1, aged 85, was best known as the Oxford University and England Rugby full-back. At Loretto, where he became headmaster, he was in the cricket eleven, and appeared once for the Oxford University XI in 1883. He played for Durham County from 1890 to 1893.

VINE, JOSEPH, one of the best and most popular among many Sussex professionals possessing similar characteristics, died on April 25, aged 70. Below medium height and strongly built, he could bat for long hours, field in the deep with rare speed and certainty, and bowl slow leg-breaks without tiring. His aggregate of 25,169 runs, average 29.92, and 683 wickets at 29.99, give an idea of the work he got through from 1896 to 1922; and seldom can anyone have equalled his appearance in 421 consecutive matches for Sussex, a number extended to 503 with only one absence from a match against Oxford.

Joe Vine might have been more prominent in representative cricket but for the role he usually undertook of subduing himself to the needs of a steady batsman as partner to C. B. Fry and the still more brilliant K. S. Ranjitsinhji. How well he and Fry succeeded as an opening pair is proved conclusively by their putting up three figures thirty-three times. In 1901 Vine scored 1,190 runs and took 113 wickets, the first double done for Sussex.

Born on May 15, 1875, he ripened as a cricketer rather slowly, and though good in every sense from his start in first-class cricket at 21, he did not earn the highest honours until 1911, when he toured Australia with the team, captained by J. W. H. T. Douglas, which won four of the Test matches. Vine played in two of these, and in the fifth contest at Sydney he and Frank Woolley set up a seventh wicket record for England against Australia by making 143. Vine, number 8 in the batting order, claimed only a modest 36; Woolley, who went in number 7, took out his bat for 133, his first century against Australia.

Originally a forcing batsman, Vine curbed his natural instincts while in company with brilliant hitters, but as late as 1920 he gave evidence of hitting powers in his biggest innings by scoring 202 in five hours against Northamptonshire at Hastings. This, compared with 55 not out and 57 for which he batted over seven hours in 1901 at Hove, conveys a correct idea of his versatility. Perhaps his best bowling performance was in that same season of his special all-round ability when, at Trent Bridge, he opened the attack and took fifteen wickets for 161 runs.

Soon after retiring from county cricket Joe Vine became coach at Brighton College, an office he held for many years.

VOGLER, ALBERT EDWARD ERNEST, whom R. E. Foster and many other great batsmen regarded as the best bowler in the world in the year 1907, died on August 10, aged 69. Born at Swartwater, near Queenstown in Cape Colony, on November 28, 1876, he spent his boyhood at Durban, and made a name for himself at cricket with the Natal team at Johannesburg in November 1903. Going to live in Pretoria, he decided in 1905 to adopt cricket as a profession, and came to England with the intention of qualifying for Middlesex. He obtained an engagement on the M.C.C. ground staff, and in his second year at Lord's bowled on several occasions for the M.C.C. with brilliant success. The idea of Vogler qualifying for Middlesex aroused some feeling in 1906, the metropolitan county having already two Colonial players, Albert Trott and Frank Tarrant. Happily, any friction which might have arisen disappeared, Sir Abe Bailey finding a position for him.

Returning home, Vogler played for South Africa in the five Tests against the team sent out under the leadership of P. F. Warner; the Englishmen suffered defeat in four of the games. In 1907 Vogler came here as one of the most famous bowling combinations that ever appeared for South Africa. The team lost by 53 runs the only Test match brought to a definite issue, but there could be no question about the exceptionally formidable attack which included four googly bowlers in Vogler, R. O. Schwartz, G. A. Faulkner and Gordon White, as well as Nourse and Sinclair. During the tour Vogler in first-class matches took 119 wickets for less than 16 runs each--and scored 723 runs with an average of 21.

At his best Vogler reached the highest class as a bowler. Delivering the off-break with a leg-break action, while depending chiefly upon the leg-break, he became exceptionally difficult and deceptive by the skill with which he used the reverse break and his variations of pace. Scarcely any batsman claimed that he could detect differences in Vogler's delivery of either the googly or the leg-break. Vogler also mixed the off-break with a ball which came straight through at greater pace, and occasionally sent down a most deceptive slow yorker. A bowler of infinite resource, he could keep going for a long time without losing length.

Strangely enough, considering the height to which he attained in 1907, Vogler accomplished little afterwards. One of the South African team that visited Australia in 1910-11, his batting average in first-class matches was only nine, and in 21 innings he captured no more than 31 wickets at a cost of nearly 39 runs each. Associated with various Scottish, Irish and English clubs, Vogler, in the year of the Triangular Tournament-- 1912--when South African and Australian teams visited England, appeared at Bray against his fellow countrymen as a member of the Woodbrook Club and Ground eleven.

WARD, MR. HUMPHREY PLOWDEN, died at Thornton-le-Dale, Yorkshire, on December 16, aged 47. In the Shrewsbury XI 1916-17, he got his Oxford Blue in 1919 and 1921. A good batsman, he averaged over 32 in 1921, his best innings being 103 against H. D. G. Leveson Gower's XI at Eastbourne; he and W. G. Lowndes made 218 for the fourth wicket in ninety minutes. At Lord's his 68 was the highest aggregate for Oxford, and Cambridge won by an innings and 24 runs. He played once for Yorkshire in 1920. Association Blue 1919 and 1920.

WHITESIDE, JOHN PARKINSON, wicket-keeper for Leicestershire from 1894 to 1905, died on March 8 at his home at Leicester, aged 84. After playing a little for Lancashire, he qualified for Leicestershire when a member of the M.C.C. staff, which he joined in 1889, and was with the Midland county when raised to the first class in 1894. Although small and rather frail, he was particularly good in taking Woodcock, who bowled very fast, usually round the wicket. In 1901 at Leicester he stumped the first four Essex batsmen to be dismissed; these successes were off Geeson, a slow bowler who turned the ball a lot. A moderate batsman, Whiteside's average never amounted to 12, but in the home match with Warwickshire in 1896 he held out and made five runs while Woodcock, 46, enjoyed the chief share in obtaining the 47 runs wanted to win when they, the last pair, came together. He received a benefit at Lord's, where he was very popular.

WILKINSON, DR. W. C., who died early in the year, played for Middlesex occasionally in 1881, when he headed both sets of averages, and in 1882.


In the 1946 Wisden there occurred an error. The inclusion of Mr. Frank Evershed in the obituary notices was incorrect. Mr. Henry Ellis, of Burton-on-Trent, informed me of the mistake, to which I call attention, with the hope that Mr. Evershed long may remain an active partner with Messrs. Talbot & Co.

In the biography of C. E. Kelleway in the 1945 issue the reference to the 1928-29 Tests should have emphasised that England won the first four Tests and lost only the last match of the series.

© John Wisden & Co