Deaths in the war, 1945

CAMPIN, SGT.-NAVIGATOR KENNETH C., who was killed on January 10, aged 22, in a flying accident when on operational duty, played two years for Bedford Modern School. In 1939 he was second in the batting averages with 32, and, by taking 54 wickets at 8.40, he created a school record. Fast right arm, he bowled an accurate length with much success. When 16 he appeared in a Northamptonshire trial match, but in 1939 he played a little for Bedfordshire, taking 11 wickets at a cost of 16.90 each. For Leighton Buzzard in 1941 he fared well with 70 wickets at 6.2 apiece. Against Luton Town he took eight wickets for 16 runs doing the hat trick in his first over. Roy Crompton, son of Mr. Frank Crompton, the Bedfordshire Hon. Secretary, helped in that hat trick by catching the first two batsmen and he held four catches in the match; Crompton served as a flying officer in the famous XI Fighter Squadron. Campin was an all-round athlete of exceptional ability. Full-back for the school Rugby XV, he also played for Bedford Town.

CORY-WRIGHT, JONATHAN F., LIEUT., Scots Guards, who was killed in action in Western Europe in April, played in the Eton XI, 1941-43, being the best bowler of the side, with off-breaks, in his last year.

FOSTER, WILFRID BERNARD, MAJOR B.A., who died of wounds in Burma, in March, aged 29, was the eldest son of Major W. L. Foster, second of the famous Malvern College and Worcestershire brothers. Wilfrid Foster was in the Winchester XI, 1934.

HALLIDAY, WING-COMMANDER J. G., an Oxford blue in 1935, was killed on December 3, when a plane carrying service men on leave crashed near Rochefort in France. As an opening bat at the University he failed to maintain his City of Oxford High School form, but in 1938 he was elected captain of Oxfordshire, and in 1939 he headed the County averages with 49.

HAYWARD, DAVID RUSSELL, F/O, killed in a flying accident on April 21 when a First Officer Air Transport Auxiliary, played in the Harrow XI, 1936-38.

MARSHALL, R. M., presumed killed on May 12, was in the Giggleswick XI 1934-36, finishing as captain. He played Rugby for Oxford 1936-38, and England 1938-39.

OTTAWAY, SERGEANT D. A., of Cobham, who played for Surrey Colts, was killed in a flying accident over England on January 10, two days after his 21st birthday. An aggressive left-handed bat with good style, he twice made the highest aggregate, scoring in 1942, his last season with the Colts, 389 runs, average 27.78. He played football for Epsom Town.

PARTRIDGE, BRIGADIER H. C., D.S.O., killed in an air crash in Italy in January, was captain of the Sherborne XI in 1921, when he averaged 54 in school matches and showed good form as wicket-keeper. Soon after leaving school he played for Dorset with some success, but was mostly seen in regimental or Free Forester sides.

PEEL, MR. R. T., C.B.E., M.C., who was lost on a flight from Montreal to London in July, aged 52, while returning from the San Francisco Conference, played in Trial Matches at Oxford in 1919, but did not get his Blue. He was secretary of the foreign affairs department in the India Office.

ROCYN-JONES, MAJOR AUGUSTUS HUWES, killed in Italy during April while serving with the South African Engineering Corps, awarded O.B.E. posthumously, played for Monmouthshire for several years. In 1931 he scored 121 against Dorset at Bridport.

© John Wisden & Co