Supplementary war deaths, 1940-44

BALDOCK, MR. WILLIAM FREDERICK, missing in Malaya in 1942 and subsequently presumed killed, played cricket for Winchester in 1918 and 1919, being contemporary with D. R. Jardine and C. T. Ashton. Going up to Oriel College, Oxford, he was tried in the Freshmen's match of 1920, but never in a University side. After making a few appearances for Somerset he went to Tanganyika in the Forestry Department. He married the daughter of Mr. John Daniell, the former Somerset captain, Cambridge double blue and Rugby football international.

BLAGG, PETER HENRY, officially presumed killed in action in Burma on March 18, 1943. A good wicket-keeper for Shrewsbury, 1935-37, captain in last year; Oxford double Blue in 1939, cricket and association football.

BOND, MR. R. N., of the F.M.S. Volunteer Forces, whose death occurred in Siam in 1943, headed the Harrow School bowling in 1934 and 1935. Fast-medium right-hand, he played in Freshmen and Seniors matches at Oxford, but never reproduced his school form at the University, though he played for Authentics; he got his Blue at Golf and Athletics. In 1940 and 1941 he played for Malay States.

CALVERT, FLIGHT-SERGT. CLIVE P., a very promising all-rounder of the Royal Australian Air Force team, lost his life at the age of 21 on a mine-laying expedition over the Baltic Sea on December 16, 1944. He appeared in inter-state cricket for New South Wales, and during the 1944 summer he played in the one-day matches at Lord's for Australia against England. Possessing a crisp cut and powerful drive he was an attractive batsman. His best innings was 141 in two and a half hours for the R.A.A.F. against West Indies at Birmingham. His medium-fast bowling was also a great asset to the side.

COUPER, MAJOR DAVID OYSTON, R.A., officially presumed killed in action in Western Europe, November 1944, while attached to the Royal Navy, aged 31: Harrow XI, 1934.

CROSSMAN, CAPTAIN GEOFFREY MARK, officially presumed killed in action on July 3, 1944, aged 39, was in the Eton XI, 1923.

EVANS, CAPTAIN DAVID, M.C., of the King's African Rifles, was killed in November 1942, on almost the last day of the campaign in Madagascar. He averaged over 40 in 1932, his third season in the XI at Sherborne, making 153 not out against M.C.C., and he took 35 wickets at 12 runs apiece. In several seasons his in-swingers provided the backbone of the Old Shirburnian bowling on tour, and he was equally effective for the Frogs and for Epsom. He played in the Minor Counties Championship for Dorset.

GANDAR-DOWER, MR. KENNETH CECIL, was lost at sea through Japanese action in February 1944 at the age of 36. He played for Harrow against Winchester in 1927, but not in the Eton match. At Cambridge he did well in the Freshmen's Match and was a Crusader, but his time was mainly given up to tennis, at which he captained the University team. One of the most versatile players of games of any period, he was amateur squash champion in 1938, won amateur championships at fives, and played lawn tennis for Great Britain. In all, he represented Cambridge at six forms of sport: tennis, lawn tennis, Rugby fives, Eton fives, squash rackets and billiards. In fact, time hardly sufficed for their rival calls. He probably created a record when he played simultaneously in the Freshmen's Match and Freshmen's Tournament, with the connivance of the tennis but not the cricket authorities; he disappeared to play off a round during the early part of his side's innings, with relays of cyclist friends to keep him informed as to the fall of wickets! He flew a private aeroplane to India. In spite of other demands he continued to find time for cricket, making some ten appearances for the Frogs each season almost to the outbreak of war, and got many runs and wickets.

Famous as a big game shot, and extensive traveller, he introduced a team of cheetahs from Kenya jungle to London and on greyhound tracks they set up speed records. A writer of articles and books, he acted as a War Correspondent in various theatres of operations up to the time of his death.

GOW, CAPTAIN RODERICK GEORGE ALASTAIR, R.A., officially presumed killed at Arnhem on September 19, 1944, aged 24, was in the Winchester XI, 1938.

HOLMES, MAJOR ALAN TREVOR GRAEME, 60th Rifles, officially presumed killed in Italy, on November 22, 1943. Eton XI, 1933.

LONGFIELD, WING-COMMANDER G. P., who was killed during Air Operations in February 1943, played for Aldenham in 1927-28 and in a few matches for Kent second eleven, and for Royal Air Force in the inter-service matches of 1932 and 1933.

MONTEATH, LIEUT.-COLONEL DAVID IAN, 5th Gurkhas, killed in action in Burma in June 1944, was in the Clifton XI in 1932 and played in Freshmen's and Seniors Matches at Cambridge. A spin bowler and fine slip, he played for Free Foresters and Frogs when on leave from India .

MOSS, SQUADRON-LEADER E. H., D.F.C., who was killed on active service in March 1944, aged 32, played in the Malvern eleven from 1928-30. Captain in his last two years, he headed the batting averaged with 60.90 in 1930, his highest innings being 169. An admirable bat, with free scoring ability and very smart in the field, he started at Oxford with 109 in the Freshmen's match, but did not maintain that form when tried in matches for the University, and failed to get his Blue. He played rackets for Malvern and represented Oxford at golf for four years. A master at Radley College from 1936 he joined the Wiltshire Regiment on the outbreak of war and reached the rank of Captain, but joined the R.A.F. in 1941.

PATON, SQUADRON-LEADER G. W., R.A.F., killed in an air crash in the Middle East in the Spring of 1944, kept wicket for Uppingham in 1918 and 1919. In his second season he averaged 25.80 by good batting.

ROACH, FLIGHT-SERGT. W. A., a left-hand opening batsman from Western Australia, who appeared in the two 1944 Whitsuntide matches at Lord's for Australia, was shortly afterwards killed during operations against the enemy. He was 29.

TYLER, SECOND LIEUTENANT JULIAN EDWARD SAUMAREZ, Lancashire Fusiliers, who was killed in action in May 1940, played for Radley College in 1922, and also for M.C.C., I Zingari and the Frogs. He helped to run Rosslyn Park Football Club.

WALKER, FLYING OFFICER Charles W., the South Australian wicket-keeper, failed to return to England after a flight over Germany in the autumn of 1942. He was 33. As a player Walker reached his best form at the peak of Oldfield's career, and, though touring England with the 1930 and 1938 Australian teams, he never appeared in a Test match. Born at Hindmarsh (S.A.) on February 19, 1909, Walker was only just 20 when he stumped five and caught three in his first big match for South Australia against New South Wales in March 1929. His form against A. H. H. Gilligan's side in 1929-30 went further to prove his ability, particularly in bringing off amazing catches and stumpings on the leg side. A neat cricketer, he was a useful batsman and often opened the innings for his State. When hostilities broke out, he became an air-gunner, and during leave in England he was always welcome at cricket grounds; in fact he kept wicket in several games for the R.A.F.

© John Wisden & Co