Obituaries in 1945

BARNES, MR. J. R., M.C., died at Grange-over-Sands on July 22, aged 48. While serving in the R.A.F., pernicious anaemia caused his retirement some six months before he passed away. After leaving Marlborough he served in the R.F.A. during the first world war, being awarded the M.C. for gallantry in France. A Liverpool cotton merchant, he joined the Royal Air Force in 1941 and served as a ground staff flight-lieutenant until demobilised. He averaged 30 for Marlborough in 1914; next season, when captain, 56, and he also headed the bowling averages. Starting for Lancashire in 1919, he scored 831 runs, average 33.24 in 1921, and next year averaged 37.58. His first-class cricket aggregate reached 3,643, average 38, and he sometimes captained the county side. In Lancashire club cricket he met with great success. For Ormskirk in 1927 he averaged 70 with an aggregate of 990, and in 1932 for Liverpool he averaged 105.60 for eleven innings, being five times not out. A free batsman with good style, he was reliable in the field and in his early days bowled effectively.

BARRATT, JOSHUA, died at Spilsby, December 19, aged 94. A notable bowler for Spilsby, Skegness and Louth, he was an all-round sportsman, and when an old man, turned to bowls, playing regularly in the Spilsby team when over 90.

BARRY, MR. DOUGLAS HERRON, who died at Oxford on March 12 in his 84th year, was in the Harrow XI of 1879.

BELL, MR. SYDNEY P., died at Corbridge, Northumberland, on November 23, 1944, aged 69. Uppingham XI, 1892-94; Northumberland, 1902-11. Member of the Cambridge XV, 1894-96. In 1897 scored 248 for Old Uppinghamians v. The School.

BOWDEN-SMITH, MR. ERNEST, who died at Ascot on October 6, aged 82, was the last of the Bowden-Smith family, seven of whom played for Rugby from 1872-87. His years in the eleven were 1881-82.

BUDD, SIR CECIL LINDSAY, who died at Harefield on December 27, aged 80, was in the 1883 Winchester XI.

BUTCHER, MR. DOUGLAS HARRY, who died at Wallington, Surrey, on July 4, aged 69, played occasionally for Surrey during 1903-13. He was a prolific scorer for Upper Tooting.

CARRICK, MR. ROBERT BLACK, who died in India on September 5, was in the 1910 Winchester XI.

CHEESMAN, MR. WILLIAM EDWARD FOSTER, who died at Winchester on November 11, aged 69, was a member of the Sussex County Club Committee from 1909 and became a Vice-President in 1928. A Founder of the Hastings Cricket Festival, he helped to organise County Weeks, and shortly before his death he called a meeting to consider the future of these events. An all-round sportsman, he took great interest in golf.

CLARKE, ALDERMAN THEO, while serving his third year as Mayor of Banbury, died on April 13, aged 66. He played cricket and Association football for Berkshire.

COBBOLD, MR. PHILLIP WYNDHAM, died suddenly at Tallingstone Park, Ipswich, on December 28, aged 70. In the Eton XI 1892-93, he got his Blue at Cambridge in 1896. For some time he captained the Suffolk County XI. He played racquets, singles and doubles--1894-96; tennis, singles and doubles--1896, against Oxford.

COGHLAN, MR. JOHN CORNELIUS, one of the Kimberley team that opposed Transvaal in the first Currie Cup match--at Kimberley in April 1890--died at Bulawayo on July 1, aged 78. Kimberley was then the strongest team in South Africa, and between 1887 and 1890 Coghlan played in many good matches, including those against the first two English sides that visited the Cape. In 1892 he showed good form against W. W. Read's team when J. J. Ferris, J. T. Hearne and F. Martin were a great bowling force.

COLLINS, MR. ARTHUR, who died in July, aged 73, played for Sussex occasionally from 1895 to 1902. Like most bowlers he experienced varied fortune. At Hove in 1896, after W. G. Grace in the Gloucestershire first innings scored 243 not out, he bowled the Doctor for three in the second innings; in the return match at Bristol W.G. made 301 before being bowled by Collins, and Gloucestershire won by an innings and 123 runs. Collins often made runs and was credited with an average of 24.48 for 1,812 runs in Sir Home Gordon's Form at a Glance.

CORDINGLEY, ALBERT, who played once for Yorkshire in 1898 and afterwards a little for Sussex, died on April 30, aged 72.

CRABTREE, MR. EDWARD, President of the Lancashire Cricket League for 24 years, died on October 19 at Harrogate, aged 75.

CRAWRFORD, MR. R. T., died on November 15, in hospital at Swiss Cottage, London, after a long illness, aged 63. He appeared for Leicestershire when able to give the time from 1901 to 1911. His elder brother, V. F. S., who played for Surrey and Leicestershire, and younger brother, J. N., a prominent all-rounder for Surrey and South Australia, earned far more renown than R. T., who, however, by some good judges was considered the most stylish of the three sons of Rev. J. C. Crawford, connected with both the Kent and Surrey county clubs. R. T. enjoyed most success for Leicestershire in 1902 when 19 years of age, scoring 852 runs, average 25.05, and taking 40 wickets at 23.70 each. A fine, free batsman he used the drive with great effect and withstood the best bowlers on any kind of pitch.

CURTIN, MR. JOHN, PRIME MINISTER OF AUSTRALIA, a cricket enthusiast, died on July 4, aged 60. Notwithstanding his many national activities he maintained a close interest in cricket and often mentioned the game in his speeches. Last year's Wisden quoted his memorable remarks regarding Lord's when he became a Freeman of London.

Early in the war he declared that games were not detrimental to the war effort, but a refresher, and he recommended that a series of Test matches between Australia and England should be played immediately after the war as an effective way of demonstrating to the world the characteristics of the British race. Mr. Curtin visited Lord's in 1944, and just before the first Victory Test last May he sent a message to M.C.C. conveying his best wishes for the reopening of a series which he hoped would never again be interrupted.

Flight-Lieut. K. Johnson, a member of the Australian Board of Control, who was in England when the news came that Mr. Curtin was dead, said that although a very busy man at Canberra, the headquarters of Australian politics, a long way from cricket centres, Mr. Curtin seldom missed an opportunity of watching the game. He was often a spectator at West Australia matches. By his death, cricket in England and Australia lost a very valuable friend and supporter.

DESBOROUGH, LORD (WILLIAM HENRY GRENFELL), who died on January 9, aged 89, played in the Harrow XI, 1873-74. A good bowler, he went up to Oxford but did not get his Blue. He was President of the M.C.C. in 1911, six years after being raised to the Peerage when he was first chairman of Thames Conservancy.

EADY, MR. CHARLES JOHN, died on December 23, in Tasmania, aged 75. Of exceptional build, six feet three inches tall and weighing fifteen stone, he excelled in Tasmanian club cricket, but during his one visit to England in 1896 he failed to reveal his powers either as batsman or bowler. He scored only ten not out and two at Lord's in the First Test, but showed to advantage with the ball, on that occasion taking four wickets for 69 runs in 32 overs. Ill health handicapped him and in the whole tour his appearances were limited to 16 matches in which he scored 290 runs, average 13.17, and took 16 wickets at 25.8 runs each. For Tasmania against Victoria at Hobart in January 1895, he made 116 and 112 not out, but was best known for his 566 scored out of 908 in less than eight hours for Break-o'-Day against Wellington in March 1902. For Tasmania against Victoria at Melbourne in 1895 he took eight wickets in an innings for 35 runs and all ten wickets for 42 for South Hobart v. East Hobart in January 1906.

In Scores and Biographies it is related that When a Wellington bowler was ordered by K. E. Burn, the captain, to send down no-balls to prevent a follow-on, Eady declared the Break-o'-Day innings closed--a skilful and legitimate move, but one which, unfortunately, caused the match to come to an abrupt conclusion. A solicitor by profession, Charles Eady was at one time President of the Australian Board of Control, and, like Joseph Darling, who died on January 2, 1946, he was a member of the Tasmanian Legislative Council.

EVERSHED, MR. FRANK, died in London, March 18, aged 79. Educated at Amersham and Oxford he played a little for Derbyshire, 1889-94. Younger brother of S. H. and W. W. Evershed. Derbyshire were not then a first-class county. In 1890 he scored 111 against Norfolk at Norwich.

FLAMSON, WILLIAM HENRY, who died in January in his fortieth year was a useful bowler for Leicestershire during the three seasons immediately preceding the outbreak of war.

In 1936 he took 59 wickets but never played regularly owing to injury. Of powerful build, he bowled fast medium with plenty of life, but want of good length often made him expensive. He showed little skill in batting.

FLEURET, MR. FRANK STUART, who died at Warnham, Sussex, on March 1, was in the Westminster XI, 1902-3-4. During the next ten years he played for the Frogs and other clubs. He did some good bowling performances when on tour in Holland and Ireland, the best being nine wickets for 17 runs against the Combined Universities of Holland in 1906.

FRANK, MR. WILLIAM HUGHES BOWKER, who died at Durban on February 2, played for South Africa in March 1896 against Lord Hawke's team. The visitors won easily. That was the only match of note in which Frank took part.

GOSLING, MR. LIONEL DRUMMOND, who died at Stansted, Essex, on September 4, aged 70, played in the Eton XI, 1893-94.

GRUNDY, MR. GEORGE GRAHAM STEWART, died on March 4 at Hunstanton, aged 84. He played in the Harrow Eleven of 1875 and 1876, but, though opening the bowling, and batting second wicket down, he did little in the big matches at Lord's. For Sussex he appeared occasionally.

HARDCASTLE, VENERABLE EDWARD HOARE, died at Brighton on May 20, aged 83. Winchester XI, 1880. A fast left-handed bowler, he played once for Kent in both 1883 and 1884, and occasionally for Worcestershire. Archdeacon Emeritus of Canterbury.

HEMMERDE, MR. CHARLES LOUIS, who died on March 19, aged 77, played in the Winchester XI, 1884 and 1885. He represented Oxford at Athletics in 1893-94.

HILL, MR. SIDNEY, J.P., who died at Langford House, Bristol, on September 25, aged 70, made at his home a fine private ground for use by the village club, for which he often played. He entertained visiting teams, and generally took great interest in cricket. Born in South Africa, he came to Bristol when young and learned engineering as a profession. He supported all sports and played Rugby football for Bristol.

LEACH, GEORGE, who died at Rawtenstall, Lancashire, on January 10, aged 63, played for Sussex from 1903 to 1914, and then in Lancashire, Bradford and Bolton League cricket. A very useful all-round cricketer--fast right-arm bowler and free-hitting batsman--he took 412 wickets at an average cost of 27.98 and scored 5,874 runs, average 18.77, in first-class cricket. His best year with the bat was in 1906, when in all matches he made 1,016 runs, average 24.78, but his bowling suffered, whereas in 1909 when 100 wickets fell to him at 19.24, and Sussex finished fourth in the Championship, he scored 572 runs. By making 113 in an unfinished stand with C. L. A. Smith, the captain, realising 179 in 80 minutes, he helped materially in a victory over Derbyshire by an innings and 274 runs at Hove, while at Lord's Leach, taking seven wickets for 27, and A. E. Relf dismissed Middlesex for 47, no one reaching double figures on a good pitch, and Sussex on the Monday led by 296, but rain prevented a ball being bowled on the Tuesday and Wednesday.

LITTLEHALES, REV. CHARLES GOUGH, who died on August 28, aged 73, was a good wicket-keeper and fair bat for Forest School and played occasionally for Essex.

LOMAS, MR. JOHN MILLINGTON, an Oxford Blue at cricket and association football, died suddenly on December 4, aged nearly 28. Joining the Royal Navy for War Service he was invalided out and returning to Oxford became a Fellow of New College. He made a name as an opening batsman at Charterhouse, and in 1936, when captain of the school eleven, he averaged 55. That year Charterhouse did not lose an inter-school match and inflicted the first defeat suffered by Eton from a school since 1920. Lomas, when captain of The Rest against Lord's Schools, made a brilliant 83, and he also led the Public Schools against The Army at Lord's, both matches being drawn.

He began at Oxford in 1938 with 32 and 45 against Yorkshire and maintained this form so consistently that he averaged 45.40, his final effort, 94, against Cambridge in a drawn match, following 97 and 50 against M.C.C. Such batting at Lord's created a very favourable impression, which he increased in 1939 by making 138 off the M.C.C. bowlers and 91 in the University match, Oxford winning by 45 runs, after a great struggle. Cambridge totalled 384 in the last innings, thanks to P. J. Dickinson, whose 100 was the first three-figure innings by a freshman for the Light Blues in this match since 1887 when Eustace Crawley scored 103 not out.

In 1942 Lomas made 123 not out and 73 in Oxford Authentic matches, but poor health prevented him from playing any more serious cricket. Of medium height and light build he batted with easy skill, close concentration helping him to meet any form of attack by sure defence and every stroke at his command. In the field speed and sure hands enabled him to save many runs.

LOWE, MR. WILLIAM WALTER, died at Hartley Witney on May 26, aged 72. In the Malvern XI, 1890-93, he got his Cambridge Blue in 1895, and, taking five wickets for 48 runs with his right-hand fast bowling in the Oxford second innings, contributed largely to a victory by 134 runs, despite a great innings of 121 by H. K. Foster, his school contemporary. For Worcestershire from 1898-1911 Lowe showed useful all-round form and was a member of Frank Mitchell's XI in America, 1895. A Cambridge association Blue in 1895-96, he often played for Corinthians. For some years a master at Malvern.

MARTIN, COMMANDER, R.N.V.R., EVELYN GEORGE, O.B.E., died of heart failure on April 27, aged 64. Two years in the Eton XI he took part in a very exciting match with Winchester in 1899, Eton winning by one wicket, a success to which he contributed not out 8 and 23, two wickets for 24 and six for 45. Mr. W. Findlay, so well known as M.C.C. secretary from 1926 to 1936, who captained both Eton and Oxford and kept wicket when Martin was in the sides, has described that Martin bowled fast right-hand, usually round the wicket with splendid length. Receiving his Blue in 1903 from Findlay, Martin played for Oxford in four seasons without doing anything exceptional, and a little for Worcestershire, altogether in first-class cricket taking 107 wickets at an average of 23.51.

MORRIS, MR. PHILIP E., died at Hove on July 10, aged 67. He played a little in county cricket for Essex, and in 1923 at Leyton his slow bowling accounted for seven Gloucestershire wickets for 72 runs in an innings of 204. He scored 418 runs, average 10.71, and took 83 wickets at 22.26 apiece in first-class cricket. Subsequently he captained Sussex Martlets.

MORTON, MR. CECIL HOWARD, who died at Lexden on April 3, aged 86, was the last survivor of the Norfolk XI of 1885 which made cricket history at Lord's by scoring 695 against M.C.C. Bowling slow left he dismissed three of the best opposing batsmen. He earned nothing like the fame of his elder brother, Philip H. Morton, the right-hand fast bowler, Cambridge Blue from 1878 to 1880, contemporary with A. G. Steel in very powerful Light Blue sides. Both Mortons were in the Rossall school XI with Vernon Royle, the great cover-point of Oxford and Lancashire fame, and their house master was the Rev. S. C. Voules, an Oxford Blue from 1863 to 1866. Cecil Morton, as described in Eastern Daily Press, Norwhich, played on and off for Norfolk for 20 years. He took fifteen wickets for 113 runs against Hertfordshire at Bishop's Stortford, and five for 57 against Derbyshire when F. R. Spofforth, the Australian Demon, was in the opposing team. Three weeks after being elected a member of M.C.C. in 1891 he took all 10 wickets for the club against Colchester Garrison. He played for Free Foresters, Iceni, and often took part in country house cricket.

NEILSON, MR. ROBERT THOMAS, who died at Prestwick, Ayrshire, on July 16, aged 66, was in Merchiston XI, 1895 and 1896 and played Rugby for Scotland.

NICHOLLS, MR. BENJAMIN ERNEST, died at Kirdford, Sussex, on June 5, aged 80. After playing two years for Winchester he got his Blue at Oxford in 1884 and appeared for Sussex in four matches between 1883-88. Reappeared in first-class cricket in 1901. In the match against Australia at Oxford in 1884 he made seven catches at short slip.

O'DOWD, MR. A. C., of British Guiana, died suddenly at Trinidad on January 29, aged 62. With Sir Harold Austin he helped to form the West Indies Board of Control and organise cricket in all the islands besides British Guiana. Thanks largely to him, M.C.C. teams visited West Indies in 1929 and 1935 and he assisted, in a way much appreciated, in assuring the pleasure of the touring sides. He was born in County Mayo.

Page, H. (LADDIE), groundsman of High Wycombe C.C for over fifty years, died in February. He played for Buckinghamshire as a professional for several years when P. J. de Paravicini was captain, being useful both with bat and ball from 1901 to 1908.

PEAKE, REV. EDWARD, a fast bowler of considerable renown in the eighties died on January 4, aged 84. After two years in the Marlborough XI he got his Oxford Blue in 1881 and played three times against Cambridge, his best performances in the University matches at Lord's being seven wickets for 147 runs in 1882 and next year six for 46, but each time Oxford were beaten by seven wickets, Cambridge being very strong at the period with the three Studds, Hon. M. B. Hawke and C. Aubrey Smith in the side. In 1888 he twice helped Gloucestershire to beat the Australians--by 257 runs at Clifton and by eight wickets at Cheltenham. Peake, right arm, contrasted well with Woof, slow left, and Roberts, fast left, and the amateur dismissing some of the best batsmen did valuable work in gaining the victories. Altogether in first-class cricket he was credited with 114 wickets at 21.94 runs apiece. He also played for Berkshire.

PEEL, MR. BERTRAM LENNOX, died at Edinburgh, January 19, aged 63. Educated at Bedford Grammar School he played for Bedfordshire and Scotch county elevens.

PERRIN, MR. PERCIVAL ALBERT, the famous Essex batsman, best known in recent years as a member of the Test selection committee of which he was elected chairman in 1939, died at his home at Hickling, Norfolk, on November 20, after a long illness, aged 69. Essentially a natural cricketer, Perrin improved his skill both in stroke play and defence until he became a very consistent scorer and a real personality whom spectators watched with interest and admiration. Without any training except honest knowledge of batting gained in club cricket at Tottenham, Perrin first appeared for Essex in 1896 when less than twenty years of age. No trial could have been more severe, for he faced at the Oval such notable bowlers as Tom Richardson, the fast bowler then at his best, Bill Lockwood and Tom Hayward--that season top of the Surrey bowling averages. In an uphill fight Perrin scored 52. Almost as a coincidence he finished his active cricket career with 51 against Oxford University at Colchester in 1928, when, 52 years old, he reappeared in the Essex side as captain, though he practically retired three years earlier.

Always reliable, he scored over a thousand runs in 18 different seasons, and altogether made 29,709 runs at an average of 35.96. He played 66 three-figure innings, four times making a century twice in a match, and in 1903 was credited with a hundred in three consecutive innings. Next year he dwarfed all his other efforts by putting together 343 not out, but a total of 597 at Chesterfield did not suffice to save Essex, Derbyshire, thanks to G. A. Olliviere (229 and 92), winning by nine wickets. Such was the force of his strokes, mainly drives, that there were 68 four's in that magnificent display, a remarkable achievement, for, by comparison, A. C. MacLaren hit no more than 62 fours in his record 424 made at Taunton in 1895.

Over six feet in height Percy Perrin, Peter to his intimate friends, largely relied on forward play until acquiring knowledge of the wiles of the best spin bowlers and then he used defensive back strokes with power enough to earn runs and continued to increase his value as a consistent batsmen of high quality. Regularly going in first wicket down, he often met the full brunt of a hostile attack. In that first season by making 50 when F. L. Fane and Carpenter failed he helped largely towards a six wickets victory over Yorkshire, the champion county. With his first century, 139 at Edgbaston, Perrin then made his aggregate the best for Essex, and only H. G. Owen, the captain, had a better average. Next to him as a dangerous opponent was Charles McGahey, also six feet tall, and the Essex Twins compelled respect from all county rivals. Both of powerful physique they kept fieldsmen in front of the wicket very busy and in matter of style Perrin was the superior. As proved when first tried in county cricket Perrin showed to special advantage against fast bowlers who often put three or four fieldsmen in the deep in the effort to check the Essex giant's driving. While his batting was of a quality often described as faultless, one defect in his cricket hindered his progress to representative cricket. Often he was described as the best batsman who never played for England and the explanation was--inability to field with any spark of speed. Heavy on his feet, he could not move quickly to the ball, and this deficiency, though he would hold any catch within his long reach, prevented him from ever appearing in a Test match or for Gentlemen against Players.

Of quiet, even retiring disposition, Percy Perrin possessed a keen knowledge of the game with clever appreciation of a player's ability. Of this merit advantage was taken by his election to the Selection Committee of which he became chairman in 1939 when Sir Pelham Warner resigned. With him were Brian A. Sellers, A. J. Holmes and M. J. Turnbull. The Glamorgan captain fell a war victim in August 1944, and, consequently, the Yorkshire and Sussex 1939 captains were the two survivors of the Committee when the visit from India was in preparation.

PONSONBY, MR. CECIL BRABAZON, who died in London on May 11, aged 53, played for Worcestershire from 1911 to 1928. He went to Eton and Oxford, but was not in either eleven.

RAPHAEL, MR. ERNEST GEORGE, who was in the 1887 Harrow XI, died at Godalming, Surrey, in July, aged 76.

ROBINSON, MR. ARTHUR, died at Northampton on February 11, aged 76. He played cricket, Rugby football and hockey for his county, and for several seasons was a highly successful full-back for the Northampton R.F.C.

ROCHDALE, BARON, C.B., who died on March 24, aged 78, at Lingholm, Keswick, earned fame as an admirable batsman for Cambridge University and Lancashire fifty years ago when George Kemp--knighted in 1909, he became a peer in 1913. He learned cricket at Mill Hill School before going to Shrewsbury where he played in the School eleven from 1882 to 1884. Starting at Cambridge with 100 in the Freshmen's match he gained his Blue in a strong side captained by the Hon. M. B. Hawke (afterwards Lord Hawke), in 1885. With useful scores of 29 and 26 he helped in a victory by seven wickets over Oxford at Lord's, but fared less well next year when Cambridge lost by 133 runs. That, however, was his best season in first-class cricket, for he headed the Cambridge averages with 31, and excelled against Yorkshire, with 125 in the follow-on at Fenner's where the county lost a stirring match by 26 runs, while in the return at Sheffield his 103 was the highest innings in the match, which Yorkshire won by seven wickets. Unable to play for Cambridge in 1887 he re-appeared next season when he averaged 30.9, but did little in a drawn University match.

In 1885 for Lancashire he played a grand innings of 109 against Yorkshire, scoring the runs out of 156 without giving a chance in an uphill struggle. For Gentlemen of England against Australians in 1886 at Kennington Oval his 83 was the next highest score to 148 by W. G. Grace, and only S. P. Jones, with 151 for the Australians, did better in a drawn match. Such brilliant performances were intermittent and George Kemp failed to repeat this form during his few subsequent appearances for Lancashire, but he retained his interest in the County Club as a Vice-President. Of good height and build he batted in splendid style, with special power in front of the wicket strokes, and fielded very well at mid-off.

He played for Cambridge in the Lawn Tennis Doubles in 1886 and excelled in Trinity College Athletic Sports. He enjoyed all outdoor pursuits until very late in life, notably game shooting. Mentioned in despatches when serving with Imperial Yeomanry in South Africa, 1900-02, he also commanded a Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers in the 1914-18 war, and altogether was a Territorial officer for over thirty years. From 1929 he was Lord Lieutenant of Middlesex. As a Liberal Unionist he was M.P. for the Heywood Division from 1895 for ten years and in two elections in 1910 held his seat as a Liberal.

SECCULL, MR. ARTHUR WILLIAM, a member of the first South African team that visited England in 1894, died at Johannesburg on July 20, aged 76. During that tour Seccull scored 355 runs, average 15.10, his highest innings being 63 against Glamorgan. He took only four wickets at a cost of 42.30 each in first-class matches, but in South Africa he often bowled well and in March 1896 dismissed two batsmen for 37 runs in the third representative match against Lord Hawke's touring side at Capetown. He played inter-provincial cricket regularly from 1887 to 1899, his highest score being 64 for Transvaal against Western Province.

SHAKERLEY, SIR GEORGE HERBERT, 4th Bart., died at Uckfield, Sussex, on August 7, aged 81. Harrow XI, 1881.

SMITH, MR. ERNEST, who died on April 11, aged 75, was a very capable all-round cricketer for Oxford University and Yorkshire. After two years in the Clifton College XI he got his Blue at Oxford in 1890 and next year also played against Cambridge. He fared only moderately in the University matches at Lord's, but his free batting and fast bowling often proved valuable, as he made full use of his height and weight. A schoolmaster, he was a welcome member of the Yorkshire XI during vacations from 1888 to 1907, and in the absence of Lord Hawke, he occasionally captained the side. Altogether for Yorkshire he scored 4,787 runs average 20.81, and took 284 wickets at 23.87 runs apiece. A versatile batsman he usually scored fast, once making 70 out of 76 against M.C.C. at Oxford, while at Hastings in 1891 he scored 154 for North against South, he and C. E. de Trafford adding 254 in 105 minutes. He gave a very different display at Leyton in 1905, staying an hour without scoring and taking out his bat, so saving Yorkshire when a heavy defeat from Essex seemed inevitable. He made many runs at Eastbourne and in 1912 on the Saffrons ground he scored 164 not out for H. D. G. Leveson-Gower's XI against Cambridge University. At the age of 53 he hit up 160 for Eastbourne against Uppingham Rovers. One of his best bowling performances was for Oxford University in 1890, thirteen Lancashire wickets falling to him for 146 runs; and once for Elstree Masters he took 17 wickets in a match.

SPOONER, BRIG.-GENERAL ARTHUR HARDWICKE, C.B., D.S.O., died very suddenly of heart failure on November 16, aged 66. Haileybury XI, 1896-99, finishing captain; Lancashire 2nd XI. Elder brother of R. H. Spooner, the Lancashire and England batsman of high renown.

STEVENSON, MR. HENRY JAMES, died at Edinburgh on August 8, in his 79th year. He played for Edinburgh Academy, being captain in 1885, and appeared for Scotland for many years. He also played Rugby for Scotland from 1888-93.

SYMONDS, MR. HARRY G., who died at Cardiff on January 1, aged 55, played for Glamorgan both in minor and first-class cricket, from 1921 to 1929. For 12 years he was racing manager to the Cardiff Arms Park Greyhound Racing Company.

TAIT, MR. J. R., who died at Bristol on April 13 aged 58, was born in Scotland, but went to Swansea early in life and became well known as a cricket umpire in Bristol and Glamorgan, for which county he appeared with fair success. Mr. A. E. Brown, secretary of Glamorgan, stated that J. R. Tait played in our first first-class County game against Sussex at Cardiff in 1921, which we won by 23 runs; he scored 31 in first-innings, and 96 in the second. He last played in 1926 and altogether, in 81 innings, scored 1,495 runs, highest score 96, average 18.69. An aggressive batsman; and when he made runs the spectators were thrilled. Properly coached he might have been a very great player.

TOULMIN, MR. EVELYN MURRAUGH O'BRIEN, who died in Paris on January 7, aged 66, played a little for Essex after leaving King's School, Oxford.

WELFORD, JAMES W., who died in Glasgow on January 17, aged nearly 76, was best know as a full back in partnership with Robert Chatt when Aston Villa won the F.A. Cup in 1895, but he was a good cricketer. A native of Barnard Castle he played for Durham County from 1891, heading the batting averages in 1895, and making 153 against Staffordshire. Then he became qualified for Warwickshire and in 1896 averaged 23 for eleven matches, scoring his best innings, 118, at Leicester in May, the home county winning, after a great struggle, by one wicket. That was the extent of his first-class cricket, and he did not appear again for Durham.

WHITE, SIR ARCHIBALD WOOLLASTON, 4th Bart., who died in a nursing home on December 16, aged 68, was in the Wellington XI 1894-96. He captained Yorkshire from 1911 to 1914, leading the team to the County Championship in 1912, the only time this distinction came to Yorkshire between 1908 and 1919. He scored 1,457 runs for the county, average 14.57.

WHITFELD, MR. GEORGE SULIVAN, who died on July 29, aged 67, played a lot of cricket at Eastbourne and Lewes when captaining Gentlemen of Sussex. An Eton Rambler, he was a member of I Zingari.

WILSON, MR. C. R., a brother of the Rev. C. E. M. Wilson and E. Rockley Wilson, died on June 8. He was a member of the Yorkshire County Committee for 32 years and become a Vice-President in 1942.

WOODBURN, DR. WILLIAM YOUNG, who died at Southsea on November 13, aged 77, played for Berkshire.

WRIGHT, MR. O. J., after resigning the chairmanship of the Leicestershire County Club because of ill-health, died at Leicester on October 10. He was a director of Leicester Fosse Football Club when promoted in 1908 and afterwards changed their name to Leicester City.


BOVILL, MR. BRISTOW, an opening bowler for Harrow in 1872, died at Dorking on May 7, aged 90. A. J. Webbe made his first appearance for Harrow at Lord's that year and in the victorious Eton XI were three of the brothers Lyttelton--R. H., Edward and Alfred.

BUXTON, MR. ABBOT REDMOND, born in London on August 31, 1868, died at Fritton Hall, Norfolk, on March 7, 1944, aged 75. Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, he played in Cambridge Freshmen's and Seniors' matches, and for XI v. XVI. He showed good form as a reliable quick-scoring bat, and good outfield, in College matches, and for Quidnuncs, but did not get his Blue. He played for Norfolk from 1888 to 1906, captaining the side in 1895 and 1896, and was President of the County Club in 1936. In 1902 he made 111 for I Zingari against Norfolk.

MACK, REV. EDGAR SHEPHERD PASTON, died March 15, 1944, aged 82. Educated at Bradfield College and Pembroke College, Cambridge, he was a successful right-hand slow bowler, breaking both ways. He played for Norfolk from 1893-98 and in 1895 took 26 wickets at an average of 13--his best performance being 5 for 19 (including hat trick) against Hertfordshire at Bishop Stortford. In 1881 he played a few times for Suffolk. At Association football he excelled a half-back for Norfolk in the eighties.

© John Wisden & Co