Obituaries in 1909

MR. EDWARD LOUIS BATEMAN, C. B., who was born at Mickleover, in Derbyshire, on September 15th, 1834, died at Rowditch Lodge, Derby, on January 25th. Educated at, Marlborough and Oxford, he played against Cambridge at Lord's in 1854 and 1855. In each year he has on the winning side, his fine innings of 40 in a low-scoring game in 1854 having much to do with Oxford's success. In addition to his skill as a batsman he was a capital field, especially at cover-point. For several years he was a member of the Committee of the M.C.C.and at the time of his death was one of the auditors. He was also a Vice-President of the Derbyshire County C.C. In 1852, when playing for Marlborough College, he had the distinction of bowling Mr. E. H. Budd twice in the last match in which that famous cricketer ever took part.

RICHARD BATES, a well-known personality in Lancashire club cricket, died at Earlstown of pneumonia, on April 23rd. He obtained many wickets for the Earlstown C.C. in West Lancashire League matches.

MR. WILLIAM PARKER BONBRIGHT, who was drowned at Atlantic City, New Jersey, on June 4th, was educated at Haverford College, and was a member of the College team which visited England in 1904. His highest scores during the tour were 50 v. Cheltenham, 64 v. Harrow, and 54 and 69 v. Charterhouse, and he finished second in the averages with 24.90.

MR. HARRY BOYTON, for many years one of the leading metropolitan cricketers, died at Crouch End on September 11th in his forty-ninth year. He headed the Clapton averages for several seasons, and in 1887 scored 210 not out for the Club against Croydon, and five years later 277 against Stoke Newington. Several times he played for Essex, and, without reproducing the form he showed in club cricket, proved a useful member of the side.

MR. A. C. BRENTNALL, a Vice-President of the Derbyshire County C.C., died at Ash Bank, Riddings, on November 12th, aged 61.

THE REV. ARTHUR GRAY BUTLER died at Glenfinnan, Torquay, on January 16th, in his eightieth year. He was in the Rugby eleven in 1847 and 1848, being captain in the latter year, and was above the average as a batsman. For some years he was an assistant-master at Rugby under Dr. Temple, and was afterwards appointed first headmaster of Haileybury. He was Butler of Butler's Leap at Rugby and winner of the racquet pairs at Oxford in 1855. He is said to have been the only man who ever jumped the river Cherwell, a tributary of the Thames at Oxford.

MR. CHARLES BUTLER, the father of Tasmanian Bar, died at Hobart in August, at the age of 90. He was a useful player in his time and was devoted to the game all his life. Two of his sons, Messrs. C. W. and E. H. Butler, gained distinction as cricketers. He was one of the founders of the Break-o'-Day C.C. and was most prominently identified with the Tasmanian Cricket Association, having been elected a vice-president at its inauguration in February, 1866, and one of its trustees from 1871 until his death.

MR. SAMUEL GURNEY BUXTON, J.P., D.L., of Catton Hall, Norfolk, died on February 16th at the age of 70. He was educated at Harrow and Cambridge, but, although a very useful player, did not obtain a place in either Eleven. For several years, however, he appeared for Norfolk and he was always a most liberal supporter of the game. Scores and Biographies (ix.-171) describes him as An average bat, and a very straight, slow, round-armed bowler with a high delivery and a good break from the leg.

MR. JAMES CARLESS, brother of Mr. William Carless, J.P., of Hastings, died at Hereford on February 22nd, after a long illness. He was born on October 15th, 1843, and was prominently connected with the Herefordshire County C. C.

MR. BENJAMIN CARR, a keen supporter of cricket in Yorkshire, died at Barnsley on September 30th in his sixty-fourth year.

ALBERT CHAMPION died at Sheffield on June 30th. He was born at Hollins End, near Handsworth, Yorkshire, on December 27th, 1851, and between 1876 and 1880 played twenty-five innings for his county with an average of 7.09, and took one wicket for 17 runs. Being engaged later by the Longsight C.C. he appeared for Lancashire in 1886, but scored only four runs in two innings. Scores and Biographies (xiii.-905) described him as A good batsman, left-handed, but a right middle-paced, round-armed bowler.

MR. RICHARD DIGBY CLEASBY, D.L., J.P., of Penoyre, Brecon, was born in London in 1838 and died at Abbots Langley, Herts., on March 18th. He was educated at Eton, where he was in the Eleven, though in 1855, when he played against Harrow, scoring 0 not out and 11, he was not a recognised member of the side: he and F. Atkinson took the places of Bagge and Pepys, who were ill. In 1856, when there was no match with Harrow, he made 4 not out v. Winchester and in 1857 scored 6 against the same side, and 0 and 2 not out in the match between Eton under 21 and Harrow under 20. Proceeding to Cambridge, he played in only one match for the University--against Surrey at the Oval in 1859, when he scored 18 and 0 and the County followed-on and won. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1869. His younger brother, Mr. S. F. Cleasby, was in the Eton Eleven in 1860 and two following years.

MR. JOHN CONWAY, the promoter and manager of the first Australian Team (that of 1878) which visited England, died at Frankston, on August 22nd. He was born at Fyansford, near Geelong, on February 3rd, 1843, and was educated at the Melbourne Church of England Grammar School. When only 19 years of age he was chosen to appear for Eighteen of Victoria against H. H. Stephenson's team on the Melbourne ground--the first match ever played by an English side in Australia--and although he made only one run in the match he took four wickets for 60. He was then a very fast bowler. In later years he developed into a sound batsmen and an able captain, and his fielding at slip was always of a high order. A week after the match mentioned he played for Victoria against New South Wales and took five wickets for 39 runs, and in the game between the same sides at Sydney in December, 1865, he took eight wickets and scored 33. He took part in a lot of club cricket in Melbourne and for many years was captain of South Melbourne. A good judge of a young cricketer, he was the first to recognise the merits of Horan and Blackham. He was also an interesting and able writer on the game, and, in addition to contributing regularly to Sydney and Melbourne newspapers, edited the Australian Cricket Annual which bears his name. Far beyond everything else, however, he will be remembered for his great idea--so fruitful in after results--of sending an Australian Eleven to England.

MR. C. J. HAROLD COOPER, a well-known club cricketer, died at Wimbledon on March 15th, at the age of 45. He was a member of the M.C.C., I Zingari, Bickley Park, and the Ne'er-do-Weels.

J. W. COOPER, a prominent member of the Barnsley Yorkshier Council team, died suddenly at Barnsley on May 7th at the early age of 31. Playing for Yorkshire 2nd XI. against Lancashire 2nd XI., at Barnsley in July, 1901, he went in last man and, in 48 minutes, ran up 103, his partnership with Bedford (40 not out) adding 135 runs.

ALBERT CRAIG, The Surrey Poet, died after a long illness at 8, Mayflower Road, Clapham, on July 8th in his sixtieth year. A Yorkshireman by birth and up-bringing, he started life as a Post Office Clerk in Huddersfield, but was still a young man when, discovering that verse-making was his forte, he decided to devote his time and energies to celebrating the doings of cricketers and footballers. He was a familiar and welcome figure on the chief grounds in all parts of the country, but especially those of Surrey and Kent. He was possessed of much humour and it was seldom indeed that anyone had the best of him in a battle of wits. His pleasantries, which were never ill-natured, served to beguile many a long wait occasioned by the weather.

MR. JOHN CRESWELL, for twenty-six years (1883-1909) Secretary of the South Australian Cricket Association, died suddenly in Adelaide on March 24th. He was born at Woodville, South Australia, on December 8th, 1859, and was educated at St. Peter's College, Adelaide. He succeeded Mr. John Portus as secretary of the now defunct Australian Cricket Council, and for over a quarter of a century was in the closest touch with the game in Australia.

MR. DAVID CRICHTON, for many years captain and secretary of the Drumpellier C.C., died on May 28th. He was a free-hitting batsman and above the average of wicket-keepers, and when in his prime played in many representative games in Scotland.

MR. JAMES HEGAR DOUGLASS, a great supporter of Leicestershire cricket and a member of the County C.C. Committee, died at Market Harborough on March 13th, in his seventy-sixth year.

MR. JOHN BRADLEY DYNE, barrister-at-law and conveyancing counsel to the High Court of Justice, died suddenly at Highgate on January 8th. He was born at Highgate on October 26th, 1839, but although he was for five years in the Eton Eleven, and captain in 1858 and 1859, he failed to obtain his Blue at Cambridge. Scores and Biographies (v.-90) says of him:-- He did not participate in the great matches, but a good score will occasionally be found attached to his name, being a free-hitter, and in the field is generally point. Is also a slow, round-armed bowler. In the matches against Harrow he made 39 runs in six completed innings, and in those with Winchester 83 in the same number. In his five matches against Winchester he obtained forty wickets, taking ten in 1855, twelve in 1856, and eleven in 1857. Among his contemporaries at Eton were T. E. Bagge, F. H. Norman, the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton (now Lord Cobham), and R. A. H. Mitchell. After leaving Cambridge he played in practically no matches of note, apart from an appearance for Middlesex against Buckinghamshire on the Old Cattle Market ground at Islington, in August, 1864, when Middlesex, after following-on 218 runs behind, won by 138.

MR. AUGUSTUS WILLIAM EVANS, of the West of Scotland C.C., died of pneumonia on April 26th in his sixty-sixth year. He played several times in the inter-City match between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and in the game of 1876 batted three hours for 85. It has been said of him, On lively ground he was a veritable sticker, and wonderfully smart on the off-side. He made several large scores for the West of Scotland, of which he had been a member since 1871, the best being 148 not out against Perthshire in 1878.

MR. GEORGE EVERETT, who died at Clapham on March 4th, had served on the Surrey County C.C. Committee without interruption since 1888. He was Founder and Chairman of the Kempton Park Racecourse Company. He was born on March 3rd, 1831.

MR. EDWIN FOWLER died at Armadale on May 31st, in his sixty-ninth year. He learnt the game in England and was a batsman with a capital style, and a very good wicket-keeper. In December, 1865, he played at Melbourne for Victoria against New South Wales and distinguished himself by an innings of 37. In a drawn single-wicket match which was played immediately afterwards he scored 51 against Caffyn, Lawrence, Cosstick, and Thompson.

MR. F. STANLEY FRANKISH, at one time one of the best-known cricketers in New Zealand, died at Wanganui on May 30th at the early age of 35. His first match for Canterbury was in 1896, against Wellington, and for almost ten years he continued to represent the Province. He played for New Zealand against Queensland in 1896, against the Melbourne Club in 1900, and against Lord Hawke's team three years later. In 1898-9 he visited Tasmania and Australia with the New Zealand team, but did not meet with much success. His bowling was fast left-hand.

THE REV. THOMAS LEE FRENCH, J.P., who was born at Eye, in Suffolk, on June 10th, 1821, died at Mentone on April 7th. He did not gain a place in the Winchester Eleven, but obtained his Blue at Cambridge and played against Oxford from 1842 to 1844, being in 1843 joint captain with G. J. Boudier. In the five innings that he played against Oxford--the match in 1843 took place on the Bullingdon ground--he scored 56 runs. In later years he frequently played for Suffolk. He held the living of Thrandeston for the long period of sixty-four years, and was the last Freeman of the borough of Eye.

MR. JOHN FURLEY, born at Oakham on March 24th, 1847, died suddenly at his native place on June 30th. His first appearance at Lord's (under the assumed name of A. Yorker, Esq.,) was for Northamptonshire v. M.C.C. and Ground in July, 1873, when he made 0 and 24 and took eight wickets for 93 runs. In 1877, when he made several very large scores for Burghley Park, he was chosen to play for England against Gloucestershire at the Oval. Scores and Biographies (xii.-781) described him as:-- A fair bat, a good and fast round-armed bowler, fielding generally at short slip.

Luke Greenwood, one of the last of the famous Yorkshire players of the sixties, died on November 2nd. Born on the 13th of July, 1834, he was in his seventy-sixth year. He played his first match for Yorkshire in 1861 and his last in 1875. At the beginning of his career he shared the bowling with Slinn, Hodgson, and George Atkinson and it was afterwards his good fortune to be in the eleven with George Freeman and Tom Emmett. Greenwood, himself, was a right-handed bowler--medium pace to fast--and very straight. By far his best season for Yorkshire with the ball was 1867, when he took thirty-three wickets for less than 10 runs each. In that year at the Oval, bowling unchanged, he and Freeman got rid of Surrey for totals of 92 and 62, Yorkshire winning the match in a single innings. Greenwood was more an all-round man than a bowler pure and simple. For the Players against the Gentlemen at the Oval in 1866, he played an innings of 66, and in 1870, at Lord's, he helped to win a memorable match for Yorkshire against the M.C.C., scoring 44 in the last innings. The wicket on that occasion was very dangerous, and even now, after the lapse of over forty years, the way in which W. G. Grace and C. E. Green played the tremendously fast bowling of Freeman and Emmett is vividly remembered by old cricketers. After his active days as a player were over. Luke Greenwood did a lot of umpiring. He was retained by some of the early Australian Elevens, and stood with Bob Thoms in the great match with England at the Oval in 1882. Greenwood and the late John Thewlis were the first of the Lascelles Hall players who earned more than a local reputation.

MR. DAVID GRIFFITHS, for many years vice-captain of the famous Drumpellier Club in its halcyon days, died on September 1st in his sixty-ninth year. At one time he was considered one of the best wicket-keepers in Scotland.

MR. ARTHUR GEORGE GUILLEMARD, author of Rugby School Cricket Scores, 1831-1893, and one of the founders of the Butterflies C.C. died at Eltham on August 7th in his sixty-fourth year. He was a very great lover of the game and was also well-known in the Rugby football world.

JOSEPH HALL, for more than fifty years a playing member of the Wetherby Club, died at Leeds on September 15th, in his seventy-seventh year. It was only two years ago that he gave up active participation in the game.

MR CHARLES EDWARD WHEATLEY HALLAS, of Huddersfield, shot himself in a London hotel on August 20th. He was a good left-handed slow bowler and had played occasionally for Yorkshire 2nd XI. He was only 32 years of age.

MR. RUSSELL HALLEY, once a prominent cricketer in New Zealand, died at Wellington (N.Z.) on July 6th in his fiftieth year. His first appearance in a representative match was for Canterbury against Wellington in 1886-7, when he and Dunlop, bowling unchanged, dismissed Wellington for 66 and 34. Halley took nine wickets in the match for 52 runs, at one period bowling fifty balls for one run and five wickets. He never did so well again in an important match, although he took six wickets for 50 for XVIII. of Canterbury against Shrewsbury's Team at Hagley Park in March, 1888. He was a left-handed medium-paced bowler and a fair bat.

ISAAC MARSHALL HARRISON, who played in seven matches for Nottinghamshire in 1901, died at Calverton, his native place on February 25th at the early age of 29. He was a stylish batsman and a brilliant field, but was obliged to give up the game owing to ill-health.

A. HENRY, the Queensland aboriginal fast bowler, died of consumption of Yarrabah, Queensland, on March 13th. In the seven matches in which he appeared for his State between 1901-2 and 1904-5 he took twenty-one wickets for 674 runs, his only marked successes being when he obtained five wickets for 40 in the second innings of New South Wales at Brisbane in December, 1902, and when he took four for 49 against the same side at Sydney thirteen months later.

COLONEL THOMAS BURNETT HITCHCOCK, J.P., who was born on June 19th, 1844, died at Weeke Manor, near Winchester, on July 10th. He was in the Winchester XI. of 1862, under the captancy of Mr., afterwards Sir Herbert Stewart. Against Eton he made only one run in his two innings, Eton, owing largely to scores of 58 and 34 by Alfred Lubbock, winning by a wicket. Col. Hitchcock served in the Egyptian War of 1882 and in the Soudan Campaign of 1884.

DR. JAMES JOHN HORNBY, Provost and formerly Headmaster of Eton, who died November 2nd, at the age of 82, was far more closely associated with boating than cricket. but he was in the Eton Eleven in 1845, among his colleagues being J. W. Chitty and E. W. Blore. Eton that year beat a very young Harrow team by an innings and 174 runs, and played a tie with Winchester, both matches taking place at Lord's. He was born on December 18th, 1826.

THE HON. WILLIAM MONK JERVIS, J.P., D.L., M.A., B.G.L., brother of the third Viscount St. Vincent and uncle of Lord Harris, was born in London on January 25th, 1827, and died at Quarndon Hall, near Derby, on March 25th. He helped to establish the Derbyshire County C.C. and was its President from 1871 until 1887. In his younger days he was a very useful cricketer, but was past his best when the County Club was formed, and in consequence his play for Derbyshire was restricted to a single match--that v. Lancashire at Derby in 1873, in which he scored 0 and 6. Since 1860 he had been a member of the M.C.C., and he had also been identified with the Band of Brothers, the Oxford Harlequins and other well-known clubs.

MR. EDWARD PERCY JOBSON, who played fairly regularly for Worcestershire for over twenty years, died at Himley on April 20th, after an operation for appendicitis. He was born at Wallheath House, near Dudley, on March 20th, 1855, and first came into prominence as a member of the Dudley C.C. Scores and Biographies (xiii.-251) said of him:-- Is a good batsman and a middle-paced round-armed bowler, fielding generally at cover-point or midwicket-off. He learnt most of his cricket when quite young from John Platts. His average for Worcestershire in 1886 was as high as 45.30 and in 1891 it was 30.25, while in at least seven other seasons it exceeded twenty. His last appearance for the County was as recent as 1903. In 1881 he made 103 against Warwickshire and twelve years later played an innings of 102 v. Devon. He had been a member of the M.C.C.for exactly a quarter of a century.

MR. CHARLES THOMAS LAWLESS, for several years the Honorary Secretary of the Thames Ditton C.C., died on February 6th at the age of 44. He was brother-in-law of G. W. Ayres.

THOMAS WILLIAM COKE, 2nd Earl of Leicester, was born at Holkham, in Norfolk, on December 26th, 1822, and died there on January 24th in his eighty-seventh year. He became a member of the M.C.C. in 1847 and in the following year was elected President of the Club. He played for Norfolk on several occasions as well as for the Houses of Parliament against I Zingari, and for many years entertained an M.C.C. team at Holkham. In minor matches he made some capital scores and in 1850 was credited with an innings of 123. He was one of the greatest of British agriculturalists and at the time of his death was Father of the House of Lords. He survived the birth of his father by no fewer than 155 years; he had a half-sister who married Viscount Anson as far back as 1794; and he married for the second time in 1875, exactly a century after his father's marriage. His eldest son was born in 1848 and his youngest in 1893.

CHARLES H. MACAULAY, a well-known Yorkshire club cricketer, died at Thirsk on September 7th at the age of 42. He was a fast bowler and a useful batsman.

MR. HUME FRANCIS MEEKING, of the Eton Eleven of 1893, died by his own hand at Havering Park, near Romford, on June 14th. He made 17 and 2 against Winchester and 50 and 6 against Harrow. In the latter match he also caught four and stumped one. In 1904 he played in the Freshman's match at Cambridge, but he did not obtain his Blue.

HENRY JAMES MONCRIEFFE, 2nd Baron, was born on April 24th, 1840, and died at Bournemouth on March 3rd. He was in the Harrow Eleven of 1857 in which year, when playing against Eton, he went in last and carried out his bat for 6. He was succeeded in the title by his brother, the Hon. and Rev. R. C. Moncrieffe, of the Harrow Eleven of 1862.

MR. RONALD MONCRIEFFE died at Durban, South Africa, on August 6th at the age of 44. He was in the Harrow Eleven in 1881 and 1882, being contemporary with E. M. Hadow and H. T. Hewett. In the former year he made a pair of spectacles against Eton, but in 1882 he scored 4 and 44. He was a good bat with strong defence, fast-medium bowler, and a fair field.

MR. WILLIAM CROSBY MURRELL, one of the pioneers of South African cricket, died at Port Elizabeth on July 3rd in his eightieth year.

MR. Edwin Napper, one of the oldest members of the Surrey County C.C., died at Claygate on May 12th in his seventy-eighth year. He was a member of a family which has been associated with the County Club since its formation in 1845.

THE REV. LEWIS EDWARD OWEN, born on March 27th, 1843, died suddenly on August 28th. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1861, but made only 6 and 0 against Eton, who won by nine wickets, R. A. H. Mitchell playing a fine innings of 60.

CHARLES PAYNE, who played for Sussex from 1857 until 1870, and for Kent from 1863 until 1870, died at Tonbridge on February 18th. He was born at East Grinstead on May 12th, 1832, and played for Sussex by birth and for Kent by residence. In Scores and Biographies (v.-326) he was described as:-- A fine, free, but very steady forward player, having a great reach, besides being a good hitter, and he has made many long scores in the best matches; also a splendid field at short-leg, in fact he was considered the `best out' at that post. In a match against Hastings at Tunbridge Wells in 1863 he hit a ball from the late John Sands for which 13 were run, but when he scored 122 against XXII. of Richmond in 1867 his first 26 runs were all singles. His highest score for Sussex was 137 v. M.C.C. and Ground at Brighton in 1867, and for Kent 135 not out v. Surrey at Gravesend in 1866. He played for England and for the South of England Eleven, but never, curiously enough, for the Players. When England met Surrey at the Oval in 1866 he was sent in first and made 86; W.G., then eighteen years old, scored 224 not out, he and Payne adding 135 for the fourth wicket. For several seasons Payne, who belonged to a well-known cricketing family, umpired in first-class matches and gave the greatest satisfaction

WILLIAM PAYNE, a member of the well-known cricketing family, died at East Grinstead on June 25th. Between 1877 and 1883 he played in nineteen matches for Sussex, scoring 214 runs with an average of 7.92 and taking twenty-six wickets for 19.42 runs each. He was born at East Grinstead on August 6th, 1854, and was a nephew of Charles Payne.

MR. FREDERICK PERRIN, eldest brother of Mr. P. A. Perrin, died at Finsbury Park on August 12th in his forty-fourth year. He was a hard-hitting batsman, who would probably have done very well had he chosen to play in first-class cricket. In club matches he made many large scores, including 209 not out for Tottenham v. Wanstead in 1899, and 247 not out for Crouch End v. Lauderdale in the following year. In the latter match he and A. E. Crang (123) made 363 for the first wicket, the first 300 runs being obtained in 105 minutes. The Crouch End total was 390 for one wicket.

MR. JOHN SPENCER PHILLIPS, a keen cricketer who had played for Shropshire, died on May 31st at the Mount, Shrewsbury, the early home of Charles Darwin. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1881, and was chairman of Lloyd's Bank.

MR. WILLIAM FRANCIS PHILLPOTTS, of the Winchester Eleven of 1855, died suddenly at Strete Wimple, Devon, on October 14th. In his only match against Eton he took two wickets and made but one run in his two innings: Winchester were beaten by 46 runs. He was born on June 15th, 1837

DAVID POLLARD was found dead in his bed in Huddersfield on March 26th. He was born at Comus Lepton on August 7th, 1835, and in 1865 played for Yorkshire against Surrey at Sheffield. Scores and Biographies (ix.-25) said of him:-- He is an average batsman, a middle-paced, high, round-armed bowler, and in the field is generally short- slip. From 1864 to 1871 he was engaged by the Yorkshire Gentlemen's Club at York, and subsequently coached at Winchester and Harrow. In his earlier days he was connected with Lascelles Hall cricket, and for many years was a familar figure at the Scarborough Festival.

MR. CHARLES HENRY RICHARDS, editor and publisher of Notts Cricket Scores and Biographies, died at 35, Park Row, Nottingham, on May 15th in his fifty-ninth year. He, as well as his father before him, printed the match-cards on the Trent Bridge ground.

Dr. J. ALLISON SCOTT, who toured England as a member of the Philadelphian team of 1884 when only 19 years of age, died on August 13th. As he was born on May 20th, 1865, he was in his forty-fifth year at the time of his death. Just before sailing to England he played a fine innings of 145 for Philadelphia Zingari against Pittsburg, and although he did not make a three-figure score while over here he batted so consistently that he obtained the highest aggregate and average for the side. His largest innings were 93 v. Gentlemen of Liverpool and 80 v. Gentlemen of Somerset, but his best display was in making 44 against M.C.C. at Lord's--an effort which received, as it merited, high praise. For many years Dr. Scott was captain of the Belmont Club, and its president for two. An excellent portrait of him was published on the cover of The American Cricketer for September. His brother, the late Mr. Walter Scott, came to England with a Philadelphian team in 1889.

HENRY NORTH HOLROYD, 3rd Earl of Sheffield, Viscount Pevensey, Baron Sheffield of Dunsmore, Meath, Baron Sheffield of Roscommon, in Ireland, and Baron Sheffield, of Sheffield, Yorkshire, was born in London on January 18th, 1832, and died at Beaulieu on April 21st. By his death Sussex lost the best supporter of cricket they ever had. When the fortunes of the county were at a low ebb he engaged Alfred Shaw and Willian Mycroft to coach young Sussex players of promise, thereby benefiting the game in the county to a very great extent. His liberality, in fact, was almost unbounded. Unlike Lord Harris he never gained fame as a player, but in 1856, when Viscount Pevensey, was considered good enough to play for the Gentlemen of Sussex against the Gentlemen of Kent. He was President of the County Club from 1879 until 1897, and was re-elected to the position in 1904, when he made an additional donation to the Club of £100. In the winter of 1891-2, entirely at his own expense, he took an English team to Australia, chiefly in order that the Australian public might have another opportunity of seeing W. G. Grace. The visit benefited the game in Australia enormously, and to commemorate the trip Lord Sheffield presented a trophy, known as the Sheffield Shield, for competition between Victoria, South Australia, and New South Wales. His private ground at Sheffield Park was opened in 1846 and no charge was ever made for admission. Five of the Australian teams opened their tours there, as did the South African team of 1894. Lord Sheffield had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1855.

WILLIAM SHOTTON died during the last week of May, aged 68. He was born at Lascelles Hall on December 1st, 1840, and made his first appearance at Lord's in May, 1867, when he played for Colts of England against M.C.C. and Ground. Scores anal Biographies (x.-l9) describes him as:-- A good batsman, a middle-paced round-armed bowler, and a fielder at point. He played in two matches for Yorkshire, the first in 1865 and the other not until 1874, and made only 13 runs in his four innings. He was prominently associated with Lascelles Hall cricket in its halcyon days.

MR. ABRAHAM SHUKER, a steady batsman who rendered good service to Derbyshire for a number of years, died at Tunstall on February 11th. He was born at Stockton, in Shropshire, on July 6th, 1848, and was educated at Cambridge, where he just failed to secure his Blue. His highest score in a match of note was 86 against Sussex at Brighton in 1882.

MR. CHARLES SMITH--he was always known as C. H. Smith, though he had only one Christian name--died at Henfield on March 12th, in his seventy-first year. He was born at Albourne, Hurstpierpoint, on August 31st, 1838, and played in sixty-three matches for Sussex between 1861 and 1874. His highest scores were 95 v. Surrey at the Oval in 1864, when he and G. Wells (82) added 159 together for the third wicket, and 94 v. Hampshire at Brighton in the following year. In the match with Surrey at the Oval in 1866 he went in first and carried his bat through the innings for 47. Scores and Biographies (ix.-118) says of him:-- Height, 5ft. 8½ins., and weight, 10st. 71lbs. (or 11st.) Has been a very successful batsman in the matches in which he has assisted his County, and fields anywhere near the wicket, though generally mid-wicket-off. For several years he was joint Hon. Secretary of the Sussex County C.C. At one time he was in business in Brighton as a wine merchant, ill-health preventing him from following the medical profession for which he was intended. His uncle, Mr. Alfred Smith, played for Sussex between 1841 and 1852, his brother, Mr. Arthur Smith, from 1874 to 1880, and his son, Mr. C. L. A., who played first in 1898, is now captain of the county eleven.

John Smith, for fourteen years ( 1883-1897) professional cricketer for Worcestershire, and afterwards groundsman, died at Worcester on February 12th, aged 75. He was born at Yeadon, in Yorkshire, on March 23rd, 1833, and played for his native county twice in 1865, when he made 28 runs in three innings and took six wickets for 72 runs. In 1865, 1866, and 1869 he appeared occasionally for Lancashire. Scores and Biographies (viii.-301) says of him:-- He is a left-handed batsman, and also a fast left round-armed bowler, fielding generally at short- slip or point. ... Height 5ft. 11ins., and weight 12st. He was father of Douglas Smith ( Somerset and Worcestershire) and of W. Smith (Wiltshire).

MR. CHARLES ALBERT STEIN, who was born at Tulse Hill, died suddenly at Thorton Heath on August 9th. in his fifty-ninth year. His connection with the Surrey County C.C. dated back to 1879, and he had served on the Committee without a break since 1882. During Mr. Alcock's serious illness in 1903 he undertook the duties of secretary in an honorary capacity.

MR. EDWARD JOHN CHARLES STUDD, who died at Folkestone on March 1st, was born at Tirhoot, in India, on February 13th, 1849, and was a member of the well-known cricketing family, being elder half-brother of Messrs. J. E. K., G. B., C. T., A. H., H. W., and R. A. Studd. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven of 1866 and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1871. His first match at Lord's was for M.C.C. and Ground v. XXII. Colts of Middlesex, in May, 1879. Playing against Oxford University at Oxford in 1885 he scored 110 and 44 for M.C.C.and 60 for Gentlemen of England. He was good hitter and fine field, and made several high scores for the Incogniti. His career as a cricketer would in all probability have been a distinguished one had he been able to play regularly, but his residence for sixteen years in India, where he was an indigo planter, prevented him from keeping up the game. Mr. Studd's height was 6ft. and weight 14st.

MR. EDWARD ARCHIBALD THORNTON, at one time a well-known club cricketer in South Australia, died at Adelaide on June 22nd, in his sixty-fifth year.

MR. HERBERT WHITFELD, who was born at Lewes on November 25th, 1858, died at Chailey on May 6th. Scores anal Biographies (xiii.-598) says of him:-- Possesses an excellent style with good defence and power of hitting, and has already (1877) made some capital scores. He is a right-handed batsman, but bowls left round-armed middle-paced, and fields generally at long- slip. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1875 and two following years, being captain in his last. He also took five wickets in the six matches for 73 runs. Proceeding to Cambridge, he at once gained his Blue, and played against Oxford four times, being on the winning side on three occasions: in the four games he scored 122 runs with an average of 17.42. Between 1878 and l885 he played for Sussex, and, with 80 against Yorkshire at Brighton in 1884 as his highest score, made 1,411 runs with an average of 21.37. During 1884, when he captained the side, Sussex won nine of their sixteen engagements and drew two. In 1881 he appeared in James Lillywhite's benefit match at Brighton between Gentlemen and Players which, after being a tie on the first innings, was won by the Players by one run. Mr. Whitfeld had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1878 and also belonged to I Zingari. His brother, Mr. F. D. Whitfeld, played for Sussex in 1878 and a nephew, Mr. G. A. Whitfeld, in 1908. Mr. Herbert Whitfeld was an all-round athlete, and appeared for Cambridge in the mile race, at Association Football, and (with the Hon. Ivo Blythe) in the tennis doubles.

MR. DANIEL WITHINGTON, Founder and President of the Paterson C.C., died on March 18th, at Paterson, New Jersey. He died of blood-poisoning, the result of an injury received ten years before whilst playing in Eastside Park, Paterson. He was a native of Birkenhead.

MR. JOSEPH BECKETT WOSTINHOLM, who succeeded Mr. George Padley as Secretary of the Yorkshire County C.C. in 1864 and retained the position until the end of 1902, died at Malton on April 23rd in his seventy-fourth year. During the time he held office he saw the Club grow from quite a small body into one of the leading organisations of the day, although as recently as 1892 only 176 names were on the books. That the service he rendered the Club was appreciated is evident from the fact that upon his retirement he was elected a life-member and vice-president and that the sum of £200 was voted to him as a presentation, which took the form of articles of silver and a life-sized portrait of himself painted in oils. For almost forty years he was Secretary of the Sheffield United C.C.

LIEUT.-COL. M. T. H. WYATT, who was born at North Wraxall, Wilts., on April 26th, 1829, was in the Oxford Eleven in 1850 and 1851, being captain in the latter year in the absence of W. Ridding, who was prevented by illness from playing in the University match. Against Cambridge in 1850 Wyatt scored 13 and 1, and in the following year 0 and 14. Oxford won in the former season by 127 runs, but in 1851 Cambridge were successful by an innings and 4 runs. From 1861 until 1870 Wyatt played for Cheshire. He was one of the founders of the University Athletic Sports, which developed into the inter-University Athletic Sports.

The following Deaths occurred during 1908, but particulars were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN's ALMANACK for 1909.

MR. WILLIAM ADAM, who was for several years Secretary of the Manhattan C.C., died in Brooklyn on November 19th in his thirtieth year. He was born at Aberdeen and was a useful all-round player.

MR. WALTER HERMANN ANDREWS, who was born on April 17th, 1865, died at Stanger, Natal, on November 26th. He played in forty matches for Sussex between 1888 and 1892, his highest score being 67 against Gloucestershire at Gloucester in his last season, and his average for sixty-eight completed innings 13.80. He was a good left-handed batsman and an extremely fine field, and was one of the eleven sons of Mr. Henry Wyche Andrews, who played occasionally for Kent between 1852 and 1863. From 1880 to 1883 he was in the Radley Eleven, and from 1899 to 1902 served with the Imperial Yeomanry in the South African War. Playing for Eastbourne against Trinity Wanderers on the Saffrons ground in August, 1899, he made 119 in his first innings and 102 in his second.

THE REV. WILLIAM BARNARD, of the Winchester Eleven of 1843 and 1844, died at Stratford-on-Avon on December 2nd. He was born on May 21st, 1825, and was therefore in his eighty-fourth year at the time of his death. In the four matches in which he appeared against Eton and Harrow he scored only 36 runs with an average of 5.14, although it was his batting which gained him a place in the side. He was a good racquet player, and won the Silver Racquet at Cambridge the year before the matches against Oxford were instituted. For forty-four years, 1856 to 1900, he was Vicar of Alveston.

MR. JOHN GOULD, at one time a prominent cricketer in New South Wales, died at Lewisham Hospital, Sydney, on December 4th, in his fortieth year. He appeared occasionally for his State and in 1892 took part in the return match with Lord Sheffield's team. In January and February, 1894, he toured New Zealand with the New South Wales team and played so well that he headed the batting averages and was second in the bowling: he made 337 runs in twelve completed innings and took thirty-three wickets at a cost of 12.93 runs each. He was a wonderful boy cricketer, but did not quite fulfil his early promise.

MR. FRANK HARDCASTLE, who played on a few occasions for Lancashire in 1867 and 1869, but with little success, died at 87, Lancaster Gate, London, on November 6th, in his sixty-fifth year. He was educated at Repton and from 1885 to 1892 was M.P. for the Westhoughton Division of Lancashire.

MR. HUGH KERSHAW, of the Staten Island C.C., and the Hon. Secretary of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association, died from typhoid fever at Smith Infirmary, Staten Island, on December 10th, in his thirty-eighth year. He was a native of Manchester.

THE REV. CHARLES WALTER ALBIN NAPIER, Prebendary of Bury in Chichester Cathedral, died at West Lodge, Chichester, on December 23rd at the great age of 91. He was born on October 28th, 1817, and was in the Harrow Eleven in 1834 and two following years, being captain in 1836. In the Public School matches he did very little, scoring only 21 runs in ten completed innings. During the three years he was in the eleven Harrow won two of the matches with Eton, but lost all three played against Winchester. Proceeding to Oxford, Mr. Napier obtained his Blue, but made only 14 runs in his four innings against Cambridge. Mr. R. J. P. Broughton, who played with him for Harrow in 1834 and 1835 and against him in his two University matches ( 1838 and 1839) says:-- He was a good, steady bat.

MR. HENRY PHELPS PERKINS, a well-known and enthusiastic supporter of the game in the United States, died as the result of a railway accident at Lowell, Massachusetts, on October 23rd. He was 76 years of age.

MR. EDWARD HENRY UMFREVILLE PICKERING, who was born at Eton College on May 21st, 1838, died at Pelham Lodge, St. Lawrence, Ventnor, on December 18th. He was a member of the well-known cricketing family, but did not himself attain celebrity as a player. For some years he was a well-known writer on the game as a member of the staff of the Sporting Life. He was very interested in the game to the last, and was constantly seen on the Hastings ground during the Festival.

MR. ALBERT RICARDO, J.P., for over sixty years a member of I. Zingari, died at Raymead, Maidenhead, on December 23rd, in his eighty-ninth year. He was not much of a player, but his presence was always welcome as he was a most cheery and pleasant companion. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1866. He rode in the first steeplechase ever held in France, and in 1847 won the Cambridgeshire with The Widow.

MR. MURRAY RUSH, who died at Manila on March 24th, 1908, was at one time President of the Radnor C.C., and was always an influential member of the Merion Cricket Club of Philadelphia.

MR. JOHN F. SCOTT, at one time a prominent club cricketer in New South Wales, died in Sydney Hospital on November 27th, at the age of 43. He was a cousin of Dr. H. J. H. Scott.

ARCHDEACON ALBERT EDEN SEYMOUR, the captain of the Charterhouse Eleven in 1859, died at Ilfracombe on December 24th. He was born on October 8th, 1841, and in 1864 rowed in the Oxford boat.

ALFORT SMITH, who was born at Bank Lane, near Bury, in Lancashire, on July 7th, 1846, died at Glossop on December 21st. Scores and Biographies (x.-204) described him as:-- A good average batsman, and in the field often wicket-keeper. He played occasionally for Lancashire between 1867 and 1871 and frequently for Derbyshire from 1873 until 1880. Soon after he made his place in the latter side secure he resolved to dispense with the services of Frost as long-stop, and accordingly stood up to the bowling of William Mycroft, George Hay, and Hickton, who required careful watching on the indifferent wickets of the seventies.

MR. WILLIAM TRUMBLE, the father of Messrs. J. W. and Hugh Trumble, died suddenly at Mentone, in Australia, on December 5th, in his eighty-first year. He was devoted to the game all his life and in his younger days was a good bowler, with easy action and hanging flight. He coached his son Hugh during his school-boy days and laid the foundation of the `length' which became celebrated the world over.

© John Wisden & Co