Obituaries in 1964

AMOR, STANLEY LONG, who died on August 7, aged 76, kept wicket occasionally for Somerset between 1908 and 1923 and also for M.C.C. He played for Bath C.C. for over 50 years. He also represented Somerset at hockey and had been President of Bath R.F.C.

ASPINALL, IVAN G., who died on April 26, aged 71, was the Blackpool C.C. honorary treasurer for 43 years, captained them in the 1920's and 1930's and became President in 1963.

BAILEY, GEORGE KEITH BROOKE, who died in Hobart on June 17, aged 82, played as a right-hand batsman and left-arm medium-pace bowler in two first-class matches for Tasmania in 1903-04. His father, G. H. Bailey, was a member of the first Australian team to visit England in 1878.

BARTLEY, THOMAS JOHN, who died in a Liverpool hospital on April 2, aged 56, stood as an umpire in six Test matches between 1954 and 1956. He played with considerable success for Cheshire from 1933 till the outbreak of the Second World War and also did well in League cricket. The best fast bowler ever to take part in the Liverpool Competition, he achieved some notable feats for Birkenhead Park, including six hat-tricks and the taking of 138 wickets in 1935--still a record for the Competition. In that season he took all ten wickets for 37 runs against New Brighton, and during his career took nine in an innings on nine occasions. For Cheshire in 1934 he dismissed four Denbighshire batsmen with following deliveries. After one season as a second-class umpire, he was in 1948 placed on the first-class list where he remained till ill-health compelled his retirement in 1962.

BOLTON, GEOFFREY, who died in Cuckfield Hospital on April 20, aged 70, was an authority on cricket and the author of The History of The Oxford University Cricket Club. Educated at Repton and University College, Oxford, he became an assistant master at Summer Fields School, Oxford, in 1919 and was headmaster from 1956 till 1960, when ill-health led to his retirement.

BOLTON, CAPT. ROBERT HENRY DUNDAS, who died on October 3, aged 71, was in the Rossall XI from 1909 to 1911. He played for Dorset from 1910 to 1912 and took part in seven matches for Hampshire between 1913 and 1922. Later, when Chief Constable of Northamptonshire, he became a team selector for the County Club.

BOUNDY, GERALD OSCAR, who died at the Royal Masonic Hospital on February 8, played as an amateur in two matches for Somerset in 1926 and 1930. He was an honorary life member of the County Club.

BRAIMBRIDGE, CLIFFORD VINEY, who died in hospital at Nairobi on January 17, aged 71, was for 34 years secretary and from 1942 to 1945 President of the Kenya Kongonis C.C. Educated at Taunton School and Downing College, Cambridge, he achieved no great distinction as a player, but he did much towards the organisation of cricket tours to Kenya and in 1962 was among those elected honorary members of M.C.C. He gained distinction as a surgeon in Kenya.

BROWN, GEORGE, who died in hospital at Winchester on December 3, aged 77, was a great professional all-rounder for Hampshire between 1909 and 1933--an all-rounder in the truest sense, for he was not only a top-class left-handed batsman and medium-paced right-arm bowler, but a wicket-keeper good enough to play for England and a splendid, fearless fieldsman close to the bat. He was cremated and, at his own wish, his ashes were scattered over the County Ground at Southampton.

Born at Cowley, near Oxford, he formed, with J. Newman and A. S. Kennedy, a batting and bowling backbone for Hampshire for many years. During his career, he hit 25,649 runs, average 26.71, and took 629 wickets at 29.73 runs each. As wicket-keeper, he held 485 catches and brought off 50 stumpings for his county alone. He played behind the stumps in seven Test matches for England, first when, to strengthen the run-getting, he was called upon to replace H. Strudwick in 1921 for the last three Tests with Australia--a decision by the selectors which aroused much controversy. In five innings against Warwick Armstrong's men he did much to justify his choice by scoring 250 runs. Under the captaincy of F. T. Mann, he played four times against South Africa in South Africa in 1922-23 and was selected for the final Test with Australia in 1926, but withdrew because of a damaged thumb. He also toured the West Indies in 1909-10 and India in 1926-27 and assisted Players against Gentlemen nine times from 1919 to 1930.

Tall and of fine physique, Brown was an aggressive batsman who could when the situation demanded fill a defensive role with equal skill. He shared in a three-figure stand for every Hampshire wicket except the sixth and three of them still stand as county records: 321 for the second wicket with E. I. M. Barrett against Gloucestershire at Southampton in 1920; 344 for the third with C. P. Mead v. Yorkshire at Portsmouth in 1927, and 325 for the seventh with C. H. Abercrombie v. Essex at Leyton in 1913. Twice, against Middlesex at Bournemouth in 1926 and Surrey at the Oval in 1933, he carried his bat through an innings. Of his 37 centuries, the highest was 232 not out from the Yorkshire bowling at Leeds in 1920 and he exceeded 200 on two other occasions; but the display for which he will always be remembered was that at Edgbaston in 1922. Dismissed for 15, the smallest total in their first-class history, Hampshire followed-on 208 behind and seemed destined to humiliating defeat when they lost six men for 186. Then Brown played magnificently for 172 and a maiden century by W. H. Livsey helped the total to 521. Kennedy and Newman followed by dismissing Warwickshire for 158, carrying their side to a famous victory by 155 runs--a feat which brought considerable financial benefit to that intrepid Hampshire captain, the Hon. L. H. Tennyson, who, after the first-innings debacle, had accepted numerous bets at long odds!

Brown's best season was that of 1926 when, with the aid of six centuries, he reached an aggregate of 2,040 and an average of 40.00. Among his best bowling analyses were six wickets for 24 runs against Somerset at Bath and six for 48 against Yorkshire at Portsmouth, both in 1911. After his playing career ended he served for three seasons as a first-class umpire.

Browne, C. R., who died at Georgetown, British Guiana, on January 12, aged 73, played in four Test matches for West Indies v. England, two in 1928 when touring with R. K. Nunes's team and two in the West Indies in 1929. A hard-hitting batsman and a bowler of medium pace, Snuffy Browne hit 103, including two 6's and seventeen 4's, in an hour from the Kent bowling at Canterbury in 1928, when his best bowling figures were eight Derbyshire wickets for 81 runs at Derby. In 1928-29 he did much to enable British Guiana to win the Inter-Colonial Cup. Against Barbados he hit 55 and 95 and took seven wickets, and in the match with Trinidad he made 83 and 24 not out and dismissed eleven batsmen. At one time a magistrate in British Guiana, he was the first West Indian to be elected an honorary life member of M.C.C.

BRUTTON, CHARLES PHIPPS, who died after a long illness on May 11, aged 65, was in the Winchester XI in 1916 and 1917. A forceful batsman, he played as an amateur for Hampshire from 1921 to 1930, scoring 2,052 runs, average 17.84. His best season for the county was that of 1927, when he hit 644 runs, average 28.00 and was one of eight Hampshire cricketers to take part in the Gentlemen v. Players match at the Oval. Against Worcestershire at Worcester in 1924, he hit his one first-class century--119, not out, which included one 6 and eighteen 4's. He and J. Newman (130) added l20 in seventy minutes. He also appeared for Denbighshire and Dorset. For 25 years he was Clerk to the Dorset County Council.

CALDWELL, THE REV. SOMERVILLE, who died on January 14, played for Somerset between 1901 and 1904. His best season as a patient, watchful batsman was that of 1903 when, with the aid of innings of 101 against Leicestershire and 113 against Sussex, he hit 403 runs, average 26.86.

CARBUTT, MAJOR NOEL JOHN OBELIN, who died at Durban, Natal, on October 31, aged 68, was a leg-break and googly bowler who played much cricket for the Army. He appeared in one match for Essex in 1923, when E. Hendren (200 not out) and F. T. Mann (122) put on 256 in a hard-hitting partnership for the fourth Middlesex wicket lasting two hours twenty minutes. Carbutt came in for punishment in the first innings, conceding 127 runs without success, but in the second innings he took two wickets for 23.

COLE, CANON GEORGE LAMONT, who died on October 14, aged 79, was in the Sherborne XI, being second in the batting averages in 1904 and 1905. Between 1909 and 1911 he played in six matches for Hampshire, his highest innings being 33 against Leicestershire at Leicester in the last season.

CORNFORD, WALTER F., who died in a Brighton hospital on February 6, aged 63, was one of the smallest wicket-keepers to play in first-class cricket, for he stood not much more than five feet. Born on Christmas Day, 1900, he was a regular professional for Sussex from 1921 till 1939 and was recalled in an emergency to play against Essex at Brentwood in 1947 when coach at Brighton College. In all, he helped to dismiss 953 batsmen for his county--639 caught and 314 stumped--and he scored 6,327 runs, average 14.61. His highest innings was 82 against Yorkshire at Eastbourne in 1928, when, sharing in partnerships of 83 with James Langridge and 111 with K. S. Duleepsinhji, he enabled Sussex to save the game after following on 298 behind.

Tich Cornford stood right up to the wicket to all bowling, even the fast-medium deliveries of M. W. Tate, his greatest friend, and A. E. R. Gilligan, and his stumpings earned them a number of wickets. One of his happiest memories was of a match at Hastings in which he twice stumped J. B. Hobbs on the leg-side off A. F. Wensley and also took five catches off the bowling of Tate. Against Worcestershire at Worcester in 1928, he was responsible for eight wickets with four catches and four stumpings. He played in all four Tests against New Zealand when touring that country and Australia under A. H. H. Gilligan, then his county captain, in 1929-30, and in eighteen matches disposed of 35 batsmen. In 1925 he took part in the first Gentlemen v. Players match to be staged at Folkestone.

One distinction which afforded him no satisfaction was that he kept wicket in the game which yielded the greatest number of extras in a Test innings. That was in the fourth meeting with New Zealand at Auckland in 1930, when extras numbered 57--31 byes, 16 leg-byes and 10 no-balls. His benefit in 1934 realised £l,200.

COWAN, SAMUEL, who collapsed while refereeing a football match at Haywards Heath for the benefit of J. H. Parks on October 6 and died shortly afterwards, aged 65, had been masseur to Sussex C.C.C. since soon after the Second World War and acted in that capacity with the M.C.C. Team in Australia in 1962-63. Better known as an Association footballer with Denaby United, Doncaster Rovers, Manchester City and Bradford City, he played at centre-half in three matches for England between 1926 and 1931. He captained Manchester City when they won the F.A. Cup in 1933-34 and in two other Cup Finals, afterwards became manager of the club and served as trainer to Brighton and Hove Albion.

CROCKETT, HENRY LAURENCE, who died at Durban on January 22, aged 86, was a life President of the South African Cricket Association. As Secretary of the Natal C.A., he was mainly responsible for the introduction of turf pitches in South Africa. A turf pitch was used for the first time in the game between Natal and Border at Kingsmead in December, 1926, and after A. P. F. Chapman's England team engaged in the first Test match on turf at Newlands in 1930-31, matting pitches steadily disappeared. Born in Surrey, Crockett settled in Durban in 1902.

CROWDER, ARTHUR BOUMONT, who died in Hobart on February 16, aged 70 played in one match for Tasmania against Victoria in 1912.

DALES, HUGH LLOYD, who died at Whitley Bay on May 4, aged 75, played as an amateur batsman for Middlesex from 1920 to 1930, frequently opening the innings. In all first-class cricket he scored 4,635 runs, average 26.63, his best season being that of 1923 when his aggregate reached 1,138, his average 29.17 and he registered the highest of his eight centuries--143 against Somerset at Taunton. Horace Dales, as he was generally known in cricket circles, was a member of the Hon. F. S. G. Calthorpe's M.C.C. team in the West Indies in 1925-26 and made one appearance for Gentlemen against Players, at the Oval in 1924. A left-handed batsman specially strong in defence and an occasional slow left-arm bowler, he assisted Durham from 1911 to 1913.

DOWER, ROBERT READ, who died at Cape Town, where he was an attorney, on September 16, aged 88, was the oldest surviving South African Test cricketer. He played in the first of the two Tests with Lord Hawke's team in 1898-99 at Johannesburg. He assisted Cape Colony and Eastern Province.

DUNCAN, HUGH, who died at Blenheim on August 31, aged 66, gave a lifetime of service to cricket in New Zealand. He played on nine occasions for Otago, helping them win the Plunket Shield for the first time in 1924-25. A life-member of the Auckland Cricket Association Management Committee, he was for ten years a selector. Moving to Wellington, he served as a selector, became President of the Auckland Cricket Association and was also a member of the Management Committee of the New Zealand Cricket Council.

EVANS, EDWARD NOEL, who died on February 12, aged 52, played for Oxford against Cambridge in 1932. At Haileybury, where he was in the XI from 1927 to 1930, he was a successful left-handed batsman and a distinctly useful bowler of leg-breaks and googlies. In 1929 he headed the school batting figures with 729 runs, average 42.88, and repeated the performance as captain in the following season with 809 runs, average 47.58. After losing his place in the Oxford side of 1933, Evans took no further part in first-class cricket.

FILLISTON, JOSEPH W., who died in hospital on October 25, aged 102, five days after being knocked down by a motor-scooter, acted as umpire to the B.C.C. Cricket Club for many years. Old Joe stood in the Old England v. Lord's Taverners match at Lord's when over 100. In his younger days he played cricket with Dr. W. G. Grace and he helped Gentlemen of Kent defeat the Philadelphians by six wickets at Town Mailing in 1889. He also played as a professional in the Staffordshire League. He liked to tell of the occasion when he gave W. G. out leg-before in a London County game at the Crystal Palace. The Doctor, he said, refused to leave the crease and, as nobody had the courage to contradict him, he continued his innings.

FRANCIS, PERCY THOMAS, who died on September 8, aged 89, played in a few matches for Worcestershire in 1901 and 1902 and later assisted Suffolk.

FREEMAN, EDWARD JOHN, who died on February 22, aged 83, played as a professional wicket-keeper and batsman for Essex from 1904 to 1910. He did not reach expectations as a batsman and of his 1,280 runs, he made 564 in 1907, when he hit his highest score, 84 against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge. He later played for Dorset and was for many years coach at Sherborne School. As an Association footballer he gained twenty-seven Essex County medals and was immensely proud of the Corinthian Shield finalists' medal he won when captaining Leyton schoolboys against South London schoolboys at the Crystal Palace in 1896. Son of E. C. Freeman (Essex), he was cousin of J. R. Freeman (Essex) and A. P. Freeman (Kent).

HACKETT, WALTER WILLIAM, who died on April 12, aged 89, learned cricket as a boy on waste ground at Smethwick in company with Sidney Barnes, who was afterwards to play 27 times for England. Hackett became President of West Bromwich Dartmouth C.C. and of West Bromwich Albion F.C.

HALL, ALFRED EWART, who died at Johannesburg on January 1, aged 67, played seven times as a fast bowler for South Africa against England between 1923 and 1931, taking 40 wickets for 22.15 runs each. His First Test Match, against F. T. Mann's team at Cape Town in 1922-23, was sensational. England needed 173 to win, but Hall bowled so effectively, taking seven wickets for 63 runs, that, despite a stand of 68 by Mann and V. W. C. Jupp, they got home by no more than one wicket. In the match Hall gained figures of 11 wickets for 112 and he was carried shoulder-high from the field at the end. In 1927-28 he played a big part in South Africa's success by four wickets at Johannesburg when he obtained nine wickets for 167. In seven seasons for Transvaal he took 128 wickets in Currie Cup fixtures, his best being that of 1926-27 when, with a chief performance of 14 for 115 against Natal, he dismissed 52 batsmen in six games. After that he returned for a time to his birthplace, Bolton, Lancashire. He appeared as a professional for Lancashire nine times in 1923 and 1924.

HAMPTON, WILLIAM MARCUS, who died suddenly on April 7, aged 61, was a sound batsman in the Clifton XI from 1919 to 1922, being captain in the last year when he headed both batting and bowling averages. In 1922 he played for Warwickshire against Northamptonshire, scoring 34, and in 1925 and 1926 he appeared for Worcestershire. He was a master at Winchester.

HASTINGS-BASS, CAPT. PETER ROBIN HOOD, who died on June 4, aged 43 was an outstanding cricketer, Rugby player and athlete at Stowe School, where he was wicket-keeper in 1938 and 1939, being captain the second year. He was a brilliant stand-off half in the Stowe XV who won all their school matches in 1939. His career at Oxford, for whom he ran in the quarter mile, was interrupted by the Second World War, in which he served with distinction in the Welsh Guards. He played for England in seven of the war-time Services Rugby Internationals. Widely-known as a race-horse trainer, he acted in that capacity for the Queen in 1962. In accordance with the provisions of a will, he changed his name by deed-poll from Hastings to Hastings-Bass in 1954.

HOLLOWAY, NORMAN JAMES, who died on August 17, aged 74, was in the Leys XI from 1906 to 1908, heading the batting averages in the last season, with 220 not out against M.C.C. his highest innings, and taking 47 wickets for 16.36 apiece. At Cambridge he concentrated mainly upon fast bowling and he got his Blue in 1910, 1911 and 1912. In the third match against Oxford he and R. B. Lagden put on 58 for the ninth wicket, enabling the Light Blues, who eventually won by three wickets, to tie on first innings at 221. From 1911 to 1925 he appeared for Sussex, for whom he took 13 Warwickshire wickets for 156 runs in the match at Hastings in 1914, being largely responsible for victory by 259 runs. In all first-class cricket he dismissed 322 batsmen for 24.49 runs each. His highest innings for the county was 55 against Surrey at Hove in 1911.

HOLT, GEORGE LINDSAY, who died on April 16, aged 84, was a member of Richmond C.C. for 69 years, serving as player, President and Life Patron and also being Vice-President of the Club Cricket Conference. He played hockey for Richmond, Surrey and the South.

HUBAND, RALPH CROFT, who died on November 7, aged 62, kept wicket in the Winchester XI's of 1920 and 1921. A useful batsman, he opened with J. L. Guise when the latter played his memorable innings of 278 at Eton in 1921. Huband did not get a Blue at Cambridge, the wicket-keepers in residence being M. D. Lyon and N. B. Sherwell, but he appeared for the University in two matches in 1923 and scored 61 not out against Middlesex at Cambridge, where he and G. O. Allen added 120 for the ninth wicket. He was for many years Headmaster of Lockers Park Preparatory School at Hemel Hempstead. Among his pupils was the present captain of India, the Nawab of Pataudi.

HYLAND, FREDERICK J., who died in February, aged 70, played as a professional in one match for Hampshire in 1924. Cricket in this game, at Northampton, was limited by rain to two overs from which Northamptonshire scored one run without loss. Hyland later earned a reputation as a nurseryman in Cheshire.

JAGGER, SAMUEL THORNTON, who died suddenly on May 30, aged 59, was a Cambridge Blue who, between 1922 and 1931, assisted Worcestershire, Sussex, Bedfordshire, Denbighshire and Wales. He headed the Malvern batting averages in both years he was in the XI, 1921 and 1922, and played as a medium-pace bowler in the University matches of 1925 and 1926. His four wickets for 34 runs in the second innings at Lord's in 1926 helped Cambridge to success by 34 runs. He also represented the University at fives. His best batting effort in first-class cricket was 41 for Worcestershire against Hampshire at Worcester in 1923, when he and the Hon. J. Coventry added 67 in three-quarters of an hour for the ninth wicket. His career with the county ended when it was found that he was not qualified to play for them. Jagger later became a house-master at Lancing.

JAYASUNDERA, DON SUMMIGEN, who died on October 11, aged 53, was one of Ceylon's fastest bowlers. He took 10 wickets in an innings three times, his best performance being 10 for 14 against Panadeira, and performed the hat-trick on five occasions. Coached by Razor Smith, the Surrey bowler, he played for Ceylon against D. R. Jardine's team of 1933-34.

LEE, MORRIS HERBERT, who died on September 25, aged 53, played as an amateur for Oxfordshire from 1930 to 1936. Educated at Cheltenham, he did not gain a place in the XI.

LLEWELLYN, CHARLES BENNET, who died at Chertsey, Surrey, on June 7, aged 87, was a great all-rounder in his day. A forcing left-hand batsman, a slow to medium left-arm bowler and a splendid fielder, particularly at mid-off, Llewellyn, who was born at Pietermaritzburg, appeared in 15 Test matches for South Africa, five against England and ten against Australia, between 1895 and 1912, scoring 496 runs, average 18.37, and taking 48 wickets at 27.27 runs each. It was as a professional for Hampshire that he did his best work, however, and between 1899 and 1910 he hit 8,772 runs for the county, average 27.58, took 711 wickets for 24.66 runs apiece and brought off 136 catches. Five times he scored over 1,000 runs and five times dismissed more than 100 batsmen in a season, achieving the double in 1901 and repeating the performance in all matches in 1908 and 1910.

He created a stir in his first match before he had qualified for Championship games by hitting 72 and 21 against the 1899 Australian touring side and taking eight wickets for 132 in the first innings on a true pitch. That performance gained him a place in K. S. Ranjitsinhji's team who toured America the following winter. One of his best all-round feats was against Somerset at Taunton in 1901 when he played an innings of 153 in one hundred minutes and took ten wickets at a cost of 183 runs. Against the South Africans at Southampton the same season he reached the highest of his fifteen centuries, 216, put together in three hours and including thirty boundaries, and followed by sending back six batsmen for 105 runs and holding three catches. Twice he registered two centuries in a match: 102 and 100 against Derbyshire at Derby in 1905 and 130 and 101 not out against Sussex at Hove in 1909. His second innings at Hove occupied only an hour.

A bowler skilled in variation of pace and spin, he gained his best match-analysis at Southampton in 1901, dismissing 14 Worcestershire batsmen for 171 runs.

A disagreement over terms resulted in him severing his connection with Hampshire, but after touring Australia with P. W. Sherwell's South African team in 1910-11, he returned to England and played in League cricket.

Incidentally, he might once have assisted England, for he was among the fourteen players from whom the team who met Australia in the first Test at Edgbaston in 1902 was selected.

LONG, HERBERT JAMES, who died on October 6, aged 85, was a London sports journalist for 50 years till retiring in 1955. Between the two world wars he reported county cricket for the Cricket Reporting Agency and the Press Association and also assisted in the preparation of Wisden. Through his own sports news agency, he reported football in London for many provincial newspapers. A first-rate organiser, he excelled himself at the first Wembley Cup Final in 1923 when the gates were closed on an attendance estimated at 150,000. Thousands of people remained outside the ground, but Long persuaded the police to form a path through the huge crowd so that his army of messenger boys were enabled to convey running reports of the game to the many telephones he had hired. As a fast bowler and aggressive batsman, Bert Long was on the Essex C.C.C. staff in his youth and he was fond of recalling the occasion when he bowled Dr. W. G. Grace in the nets at Leyton. He also played Association football for Woolwich Arsenal before they changed their name to Arsenal.

LYON, MALCOLM DOUGLAS, who died after a long illness at Hastings on February 17, aged 65, was one of the best known amateur cricketers of his time and, indeed, was considered by many to be among the best batsmen who never gained a cap for England. Brother of B. H. Lyon, for so long captain of Gloucestershire, Dar Lyon was in the Rugby XI from 1914 to 1916, being captain the last year when he hit 77 and 45 not out in the game with Malvern and also played for Lord's Schools against the Rest. Going up to Cambridge, he kept wicket in the University matches of 1921 and 1922, being on the winning side on each occasion. He attracted the attention of Somerset before receiving his Blue and his career with the county extended from 1920 to 1935. During that time he scored 6,506 runs, including fourteen centuries, at an average of 30.68 and helped in the dismissal of 169 batsmen, 128 caught and 41 stumped. His highest innings was 219 for Somerset against Derbyshire at Burton-on-Trent in 1924 and he took 210 from the Gloucestershire bowling at Taunton in 1930. This latter innings, scored out of a total of 372, occupied him three hours and fifty minutes and included three 6's and twenty-three 4's. His driving, as always, was superb on that occasion. Attack was his watchword, as he showed in one of his best-remembered displays. That was when he hit 136 against the 1926 Australians at Taunton, a brilliant innings in the course of which that great Australian slow bowler, C. V. Grimmett, came in for specially heavy punishment.

As a wicket-keeper, Lyon could reach the highest class, but his nonchalant outlook prevented him from being consistent and could well have resulted in him being passed over for Test honours. He appeared for Gentlemen against Players in six matches between 1923 and 1930. In the first, at Lord's, he distinguished himself by making 120 against an attack comprising H. Howell, M. W. Tate, C. H. Parkin, R. Kilner, J. W. Hearne and F. E. Woolley, he and G. T. S. Stevens (122) putting on 219 for the second wicket.

Called to the Bar in 1925, Lyon was appointed as a magistrate in Gambia in 1932 and he did not again play for his county till 1935. Then, against Middlesex at Lord's, he was twice dismissed without scoring and that ended his first-class career. After service in the Second World War, he became Resident Magistrate in Kenya from 1945 to 1948; from then till 1957 he was Chief Justice, Seychelles, and afterwards till 1961 Puisne Judge, Uganda.

MCGIRR, HERBERT M., who died in Nelson, New Zealand, on April 14, aged 73, was one of the most noted all-rounders to appear for Wellington. In a first-class career extending from 1914 to 1932, he scored 3,992 runs, average 28.71, and took 239 wickets with fast-medium bowling for 27.04 runs each. He toured England with T. C. Lowry's team of 1927, hitting 809 runs in all matches at 21.86 per innings and dismissing 69 batsmen for 23.98 runs apiece. McGirr played for New Zealand in two Tests against A. H. H. Gilligan's England team of 1929-30, scoring 51 in the fourth at Auckland. When he retired from first-class cricket he continued in club matches till, after making 70 at the age of 67, he slipped when taking in the milk the following morning and had to give up the game.

MCMURRAY, THOMAS, who died in his native Ireland on March 24, aged 52, made occasional appearances as a professional for Surrey between 1933 and 1939, having joined the staff while playing for Millwall F.C. A good all-rounder, he could keep wicket and he excelled with his speed in the outfield. He fielded as substitute for England against Australia at The Oval in 1934 when L. E. G. Ames and W. E. Bowes were injured. From 1945 he was in charge of P.T. and helped with cricket and soccer at Campbell College, Belfast, where his modesty and efficiency made him a deservedly popular member of the staff.

MANN, FRANCIS THOMAS, who died suddenly on October 6, aged 76, was among the most forceful batsmen in the history of cricket. In the Malvern XI from 1904 to 1907, he was captain in the last year. Going up to Cambridge, he played in the University matches of 1909, 1910 and 1911 without achieving anything of note. Though he played Association football at Malvern, he gained a Rugby Blue as a forward in 1910.

In 1909 Frank Mann began his association with Middlesex, for whom he played till 1931. He soon became celebrated for his powerful stroke-play, and particularly for his tremendous driving. Once against Yorkshire he drove the ball four times on to the roof of the Pavilion at Lord's. At Trent Bridge in 1925 he helped Middlesex to score 502, the highest fourth-innings total in the County Championship, and beat Nottinghamshire by four wickets. His contribution amounted to 101, he and E. Hendren (200) hitting off the last 271 runs in three and a quarter hours without being parted. Altogether Mann scored 14,182 runs at an average of 23.67 and brought off 165 catches, most of them at mid-off where he was an eminently safe fieldsman. The biggest of his eight three-figure innings was 194 from the Warwickshire bowling at Edgbaston in 1926. His best season for Middlesex was that of 1922, when he hit 935 runs, average 24.60.

A highly popular personality on and off the field, he captained Middlesex from 1921 to 1928, also acting as honorary secretary for most of that time, and he led them to the County Championship in the first season. He captained England in South Africa in 1922-23; one of his sons, F. G. Mann, also a Cambridge and Middlesex cricketer, followed suit 26 years later. Frank Mann represented Players against Gentlemen in fourteen matches between 1914 and 1930, distinguishing himself at Scarborough in 1922 by hitting 82 and 100. In 1930 he served as a member of the Test Selection Committee. As an officer in the Scots Guards during the First World War, he was three times wounded and three times mentioned in dispatches.

MARTIN, GEORGE HARLOW, who died in January, aged 79, played both cricket and Association football for Norfolk County. He appeared in nine matches in the Minor Counties' competition, his best innings being 69 against Staffordshire in 1921. As an amateur footballer, he captained Lynn, played at centre-forward for Norwich City on several occasions and took part in two International Trials.

MEAKIN, BERNARD, who died on February 17, aged 78, captained Staffordshire from 1911 to 1921, in which period they headed the Minor Counties' Championship on four occasions, and was President of the County Club from 1946 to 1956. In the XI at Clifton in 1902, he assisted the county from 1904 till 1922. He played for Gloucestershire against Cambridge University in 1906.

MERRY, CYRIL A., who died at Port of Spain on April 19, aged 53, played for Trinidad and toured England with the 1933 West Indies team. He took part in the first and third Test matches with little success. In all first-class fixtures that season, he hit 856 runs, average 28.53, his highest score being 146 against Warwickshire at Edgbaston when, by brilliant batting, he and G. Headley added 228 in two hours for the fifth wicket.

NEWMAN, LEONARD WILLIAM, who died on March 21, aged 82, was a fine forcing batsman for many years in club cricket, scoring over 80,000 runs and hitting 250 centuries. A former captain of Alexandra Park C.C., he was President of the Club Cricket Conference in 1953.

PEDDER, MAJOR GUY RICHARD, who died on April 6, aged 71, was in the Repton XI in 1911 and later kept wicket for Norfolk.

PETTIFORD, JACK, who died in Sydney on October 11, aged 44, was a member of the Australian Services team of 1945 who did so much towards the recovery of cricket in England after the Second World War. He appeared in two of the Victory Tests and also played for the Royal Australian Air Force in which he was a Flying Officer. He assisted New South Wales in 13 Sheffield Shield matches before returning to England where he took part in League cricket with Nelson and Oldham. In 1954 he joined Kent as a professional, heading the county's batting averages in his first season, and continued with them till 1959. His best innings was 133 against Essex at Blackheath in 1954, and, twice exceeding 1,000 runs, he altogether scored 7,077 runs in English first-class cricket, average 25.64. With leg-breaks, he took 295 wickets at a cost of 31.37 runs each.

PRESTON, HARRY J., who died suddenly while watching television on April 23, aged 77, played for Kent as a professional in a few matches between 1907 and 1913 and also represented Scotland while coaching there. He afterwards became groundman at the Central Cricket Ground, Hastings, and assisted the Priory C.C. when well over 60. He retired when, following an accident with a mowing machine, his right hand was amputated.

PRIOR, CHARLES BOLINGBROKE LEATHES, who died in January, aged 80, played a little for Norfolk in 1906 and 1907 and was honorary secretary to the County Club for twelve years from 1909. A solicitor, he was Official Receiver for Norwich and Norfolk from 1922 to 1937 and a Norwich magistrate from 1940 to 1957.

PUGH, JOHN GEOFFREY, who died suddenly on February 12 while on holiday in Barbados, aged 60, was in the Rugby XI from 1920 to 1922, being captain in the last year when he appeared four times for Warwickshire. In 1921, when he was one of the outstanding school batsmen of the season, he headed the Rugby averages with 1,034 runs at 73.85 an innings, showing special strength in leg-side strokes. He was uncle of C. T. M. Pugh, of Gloucestershire.

RIGHTON, EDWARD GRANTHAM, who played as an amateur for Worcestershire in four matches from 1911 to 1913, died in Evesham Hospital on January 3, aged 79. His best innings was 48 against Leicestershire at Worcester in 1911.

SEWELL, FREDERICK ALEXANDER SEYMOUR, who died on June 5, aged 82, played for Dorset from 1902, when they first joined the Second-class competition till 1913. Educated at Weymouth College, he went up to Cambridge and played in a few games for the University in 1901 and 1902 without gaining a Blue.

SICKLER, GEORGE, who died at Cape Town on February 27, aged 73, was one of the best-known umpires in South Africa. He officiated in all five Tests played by W. R. Hammond's side in 1938-39 when, with a possibility of South Africa drawing the rubber, it was decided to play the last game to a finish regardless of the time occupied. After extending over ten days, in which 1,981 runs were scored for the loss of 35 wickets, the match was given up as a draw because the England players had to catch a boat-train for home and the sailing date of the Athlone Castle could not be postponed.

SNOWDEN, ARTHUR OWEN, who died suddenly on May 22, aged 79, played in one match for Kent in 1911, against the All-Indian touring team. In the Rugby XI from 1901 to 1903, he was captain in the last year. A free batsman and slow left-arm bowler, he did specially well in the annual matches with Marlborough. In 1901 he scored 20 and 78 and took six wickets for 82 runs; next year he made 16 and 41 and took nine for 88, and in 1903 he hit 23 and took ten for 75. He went up to Oxford, but did not gain a Blue, though he hit 54 for the University against a Gentlemen of England XI got together and including Dr. W. G. Grace in 1905. He was latterly librarian to Kent C.C.C.

STANYFORTH, LIEUTENANT-COLONEL RONALD THOMAS, who died on February 20, aged 71, was a well-known amateur wicket-keeper. He did not get a place in the XI at Eton, nor did he gain a Blue at Oxford, but he soon gained prominence in Army cricket and in 1928 played in three matches for Yorkshire. In 1926 he toured South America with P. F. Warner's M.C.C. team and next winter led the M.C.C. side who toured South Africa, sharing the rubber. He took over the captaincy when illness compelled the original choice, G. R. Jackson, of Derbyshire, to withdraw. In the four Test matches in which he took part--he missed the last through injury--he made seven catches and brought off two stumpings. Though he achieved little in batting, Wisden described him as a capable captain and a strong and popular personality. He also toured the West Indies under the Hon. F. S. G. Calthrope in 1929-30, but met with early injury and did not play again, W. F. Price being sent out as replacement. Altogether in first-class matches he accounted for 73 batsmen, 58 caught and 15 stumped. He was a trustee of M.C.C. at the time of his death.

TYRWHITT-DRAKE, SIR GARRARD, who died on October 24, aged 83, was twelve times Mayor of Maidstone, a freeman of the borough and an alderman. When Mayor, he led the Kent Cricket Week processions riding on a white horse, the county symbol of Kent.

UDAL, NICHOLAS ROBIN, who died on the way from London to his home at Tunbridge Wells on February 27, aged 80, played as a fast bowler for Oxford in 1905 and 1906. He was in the Winchester XI in 1901 and 1902, heading the school bowling averages in the second year. Though twice on the losing side against Cambridge, he distinguished himself on each occasion. In the first match he took five wickets for 73 and in the second two for 54. Despite being punished by M. W. Payne for 34 in his opening two overs and handicapped by a strained side which prevented him from bowling at anything like his normal speed, he dismissed seven men for 133 runs and three for 73. He was also a useful batsman. Udal entered the Sudan Civil Service in 1906 and, upon returning to England in 1930, served in turn as secretary and bursar to Clifton College and secretary of the Athenaeum Club.

WILLS, CHARLES, who died on October 23, aged 83, reported cricket for the Exchange Telegraph Company before he became general manager of the Agency, with which he was associated for 67 years, being a director for 21 years. Himself an enthusiastic cricketer, he played for and captained the E.T.C. team for many years. He was a founder member of the Twenty-five Club, confined to journalists who reported 25 Test matches between England and Australia and England and South Africa.

WILSON, LIEUT.-COLONEL FRANCIS TYRWHITT-DRAKE, who died on March 19, aged 87, was a very good leg-break bowler who for many years played for Suffolk and for the Army.

WINTER, CECIL ESDAILE, who died on July 20, aged 84, kept wicket against Oxford in the 1902 University match and, with two catches and three stumpings, played a useful part in victory for Cambridge by five wickets. Son of W. Winter (Middlesex)--also a wicket-keeper--younger brother of G. E. Winter (Winchester, Cambridge U. and Middlesex) and nephew of the Rev. A. H. Winter (Westminster, Cambridge U. and Middlesex), he was in the Uppingham XI in 1897 and 1898.

WRIGHT, COLONEL THOMAS YATES, who died in February, aged 95, was the first man to hit a score of 200 in first-class cricket in Ceylon. Of Lancashire birth, he went to the island in 1899 and became one of the best all-round sportsmen there, excelling at cricket, Rugby football, hockey and polo. He played cricket for the Matale and Kandy Sports Club and for Up Country from 1893 to 1919. He assisted Ceylon against several touring teams. From 1920 to 1925 he was a member of the Legislative Council.


BOUCHER, CAPTAIN SIDNEY, R. N., who died on August 4, aged 73, was a left-arm opening bowler for the Royal Navy and played in one match for Kent in 1922.

CHRISTIAN, LIEUT.-COLONEL HENRY K., who died on December 1, aged 55, captained the Surrey Club and Ground team from 1949 to 1961 and also on occasion led the Second XI. He served on the County Committee from 1949 till his death.

CROSSE, E. M., who died on June 28, aged 81, was in the Cheltenham XI of 1900, scoring 56 not out and 14 in the match against Haileybury. From 1905 to 1910 he assisted Northamptonshire, whom he captained in 1907, playing in 48 matches and scoring 1,166 runs, average 13.55. His highest innings was 65 from the Hampshire bowling at Southampton in 1905. He was a member of M.C.C. for 60 years.

Druce, W. G., who died on January 8, aged 91, got his Blue at Cambridge in 1894 and 1895, being captain in the second year when his innings of 30 and 66 helped in success over Oxford by 134 runs. For two seasons he was in the XI at Marlborough, in 1891 as captain.

GORELL, THE THIRD LORD, who died on May 2, aged 79, played as R. Gorell-Barnes for Oxford against Cambridge in 1906 and 1907. As an all-rounder he was in the Harrow XI in 1902 and 1903. He later appeared for Suffolk.

HOLLINS, SIR FRANK HUBERT, who died on January 31, aged 85, was in the Eton XI of 1896 and gained a Blue at Oxford in 1901. Between 1902 and 1904, he made a few appearances for Lancashire and in 1903 against Worcestershire at Worcester hit his one century in first-class cricket, 114, he and A. C. MacLaren putting on 233 for the third wicket.

KETTLEWELL, LIEUT.-COLONEL HENRY WILDMAN, who died on April 28, aged 88, was in the Eton XI from 1890 to 1892. He played for Somerset at Portsmouth in 1899 in the match made memorable by the feat of Major R. M. Poore, who played innings of 104 and 119 not out for Hampshire.

LE ROUX, FREDERICK LOUIS, who died on September 23, captained Transvaal for several years and played in one Test match for South Africa against England in 1914.

NORMAN, RONALD COLLETT, who died on December 5, aged 90, captained Eton in 1890 and 1891. He could not bat in the second innings against Harrow in the second year, being ordered home by his doctor. He had suffered slight concussion when colliding with another player during the match with Winchester some fortnight earlier. At one time he was chairman of the British Broadcasting Corporation.

PAYNE, MEYRICK WHITMORE, who died on June 2, aged 78, was a brilliant hitter and a first-rate wicket-keeper. A member of the Wellington XI from 1902 to 1903, he gained his Blue at Cambridge in 1904 and played for the University till 1907. His highest innings was 178 against Surrey at Cambridge in 1905, but that for which he will be most remembered was his 64 on the opening day of the University match the following summer. He hit the first 45 runs of the game in twenty minutes, taking 34 from the first two-overs bowled to him by N. R. Udal, and altogether made 64 out of 73 in just over half an hour. Another notable display was 129 in two hours twenty-five minutes from the Lancashire bowling at Fenner's in 1907, in which year he captained Cambridge. Between 1904 and 1909, he made twenty-five appearances for Middlesex and he represented Gentlemen against Players on five occasions, being on the winning side at both Lord's and the Oval in 1904. He also toured America and Canada with E. W. Mann's all-amateur team in 1905. In all first-class cricket he scored 3,524 runs, average 24.30, and helped in the dismissal of 152 batsmen--120 caught and 32 stumped.

ROMNEY, FRANCIS WILLIAM, who died on January 28, aged 89, played for Worcestershire before they attained first-class status in 1889 and occasionally in 1900. Educated at Malvern, he was in the XI.

TOMKINSON, SIR GEOFFREY STEWART, who died on February 2, aged 82, played twice for Worcestershire in 1902 and 1903. He was President of the County Club from 1956 to 1958.

TUCKETT, LINDSAY RICHARD, who died in June, aged 78, played for South Africa against England in one Test match in 1914. Though best known as a bowler, he helped to establish a world batting record in 1925-26 when, playing for Orange Free State, he shared in a three-figure stand for the last wicket in each innings against Western Province. In the first innings he and L. G. Fuller put on 115 and in the second F. Caulfield helped him add 129. Known as Len, he was the father of Lindsay who played nine times against England in the Tests of 1947-48 and became President of the Orange Free State Cricket Union and Test Selector.

WEBB, THE REV. CHARLES JOHNSTONE BOURNE, who died on November 18, aged 88, was in the Radley XI from 1891 to 1893, being captain in the last year. He played in two matches for Middlesex in 1902 and later assisted Dorset.

CAT, PETER, whose ninth life ended on November 5, 1964, was a well-known cricket-watcher at Lord's, where he spent 12 of his 14 years. He preferred a close-up view of the proceedings and his sleek, black form could often be seen prowling on the field of play when the crowds were biggest. He frequently appeared on the television screen. Mr. S. C. Griffith, Secretary of M.C.C., said of him: He was a cat of great character and loved publicity.

© John Wisden & Co