Obituaries in 1942

ANDREAE, MR. CHARLES, a member of the 1891 Harrow XI which beat Eton by seven wickets, died on September 26, aged 69. He went to Trinity College, Cambridge, and played in the Tennis singles and doubles against Oxford in 1894, but did not excel at cricket.

ARKWRIGHT, MR. HAROLD ARTHUR, who died on December 10, aged 70, was in the Eton XI, 1890 and 1891, and an Oxford Blue in 1895. In the autumn of that year he went to America with Frank Mitchell's eleven. He appeared occasionally for Essex from 1893 to 1895. In 1891, when Winchester won at Eton by five wickets, Arkwright scored 59 and 44 and took four wickets, being the most prominent performer on the losing side.

ARNOLD, EDWARD G., an all-round cricketer of sterling merit, died on October 25, aged 65, after a long illness from which he made periodic recoveries without regaining full health. He helped to raise Worcestershire to first-class county rank in 1899 and reached his prime in 1902, the first of four consecutive seasons in which he performed the double feat of scoring 1,000 runs and taking 100 wickets. His best year was 1903, when he made 1,157 runs and took 143 wickets.

He played in eight Test matches against Australia, twice helping England to win a rubber. In the winter of 1903-04 he was in the team captained by P. F. Warner which recovered "The Ashes" after the ascendancy of Australia since 1896 when Harry Trott's team were beaten in England. Arnold in that victorious tour did better work with the ball than his figures suggest: only Rhodes, by far the most effective bowler on the side, enjoyed greater success, both in the Tests and all first-class matches. The attack was very strong with Hirst, Braund, B. J. T. Bosanquet also in form. Other bowlers new to Australia besides Arnold were Fielder and A. E. Reif, who both disappointed in eleven-a-side matches; so all the more credit belonged to Arnold.

Taking four wickets for 8 runs, he shared with Rhodes, five wickets for 6 runs, in the dismissal of Victoria for 15--the smallest score on record in first-class Australian cricket. This happened at Melbourne in February, three weeks before the fourth Test which decided the rubber. Arnold failed utterly with the bat, but, avenging his first "duck," he took four wickets for 28 and, having "bagged a brace," he disposed of Trumper and Duff, Australia's opening pair --disasters from which recovery was impossible, Bosanquet and Hirst claiming the remainder of the side. Altogether in those Tests Arnold took 18 wickets at 26.38 runs apiece; Rhodes 31 at 15.74 each; Bosanquet 16 at 25.18. Perhaps because of his prolonged bowling efforts, Arnold's batting proved poor, his highest innings in the four Tests in which he took part being 27, and in the tour 34.

In 1905, when England under F. S. Jackson won the rubber, Arnold appeared in four of the Test matches without doing himself justice. Still, the honour belonged to him of three times participating in rubbers which proved triumphant for England. In 1907, Arnold took part in the first Test match at Lord's against South Africa and claimed five wickets for 37 in the first innings, but he failed when the visitors followed-on, and was ineffective at Leeds, where his Test experience ended with England victorious in the only match of three brought to a definite finish. For some time he was a regular choice for Players and other representative sides. From 1899 to 1913 he stood out prominently for Worcestershire, making 18 centuries, the highest 200 not out against Warwickshire at Birmingham in 1909. In that match on the Edgbaston ground he and W. B. Burns added 393--a fifth wicket record in English cricket which still stands. He bowled with deadly results on many occasions. Altogether in first-class cricket Arnold scored 15,583 runs, average 29.91, and took 1,057 wickets at an average cost of 23.28.

Of good height and build, though lean, Arnold bowled right-hand above medium pace, with varied speed and spin. He brought the ball down from an exceptional height, producing lift which made him specially difficult on a lively pitch, and he could take full use of drying turf. Strong in defence, he batted with plenty of power when set making strokes in all directions. Usually fielding in the slips, he held 163 catches.

ASKEW, MR. JOHN GARBUTT, who died on August 31 after a long illness, played both cricket and Rugby football very well. He captained the Durham XI in 1926, and going up to Cambridge scored 103, retired, in the 1929 Freshmen's match. Twice he batted soundly in the Seniors' matches, but he did little when tried for the University. Besides his skill with the bat, Askew bowled effectively when at school. In his last year he took 33 wickets at 14.81 each, besides averaging 37.30. A highly efficient Rugby centre-threequarter, he was called upon to play full-back for Cambridge, getting his Blue in 1929 and the two following seasons. He was captain in 1930, and showed to so great advantage that he appeared for England against Ireland, Wales and France at full-back. He played both cricket and football for Durham County.

BANCROFT, JACK, who kept wicket for Glamorgan in 1922, died in January at Swansea Hospital after a long illness. Very good at Rugby football, he played for Wales eighteen times--1909 to 1914.

BARLOW, MR. HERBERT RANDLE BRERETON, who died at Bloemfontein on March 10, aged 59, was prominent as player and administrator of sport in the Orange Free State for many years. He played for the province at various times from 1904 to 1922.

BARRINGTON, MR. GEORGE BAINBRIDGE, a notable figure in Derbyshire cricket, mainly in connection with the Derbyshire Friars club, of which he was a founder, died on February 26, aged 84. Poor health prevented him playing much at Repton, but when 19 he made a name in club cricket, and remained a member of Derbyshire Friars until his death removed the last of the original members. In club cricket he scored 44,065 runs, with a highest innings of 220, sixty centuries, and an average of 31.63. He made 190 in a total of 742 by the Friars at Derby in 1881, the record total at that time. First chosen for Derbyshire in the match against W. L. Murdoch's 1880 Australian eleven, he scored 24 when the County followed-on, and his was the best effort. Barrington took part in 24 matches for the County altogether, but met with only moderate success, his best innings in an aggregate of 440 being 50 and his average less than ten. He could bowl slows effectively, earned fame as a clever and considerate captain, while he often undertook the duty of umpire when compelled to give up more strenuous activities.

BARTLETT, MR. EZRA WILLIAM, died on March 16, aged 80. Born at Burton-on-Trent, he was appointed to the Post Office at the age of 21, and, besides his official duties, cricket made him well known in Somerset. For many years he was president of the Taunton club and one of the best batsmen in the district. An occasional player for the county in 1895, he took part in the match in which A. C. MacLaren made 424, a record for all important cricket until W. H. Ponsford scored 429 for Victoria against Tasmania in the winter of 1922. With regard to that performance at Melbourne, A. C. MacLaren wrote strongly to S. H. Pardon as to the justice of the game with Tasmania being included in Wisden as first class, because Victoria's second eleven were engaged and Ponsford did not play in the highest grade inter-State cricket until later that season when at Adelaide he scored 108. Since then Ponsford himself and Bradman in turn established new records. During the Lancashire innings of 801 Bartlett went on as the ninth bowler. This prolonged innings, the highest in County cricket at that time, came immediately after 692 by Middlesex at Taunton, making six days of first-class cricket with a Sunday intervening, which gave Bartlett an experience that only the keenest fieldsman could appreciate; his own scores in these two games were 4, 7, 4, 6, and his highest for Somerset was 40 against Hampshire early in the 1895 season.

BATEMAN-CHAMPAIN, Mr. FRANCIS HENRY, who would have taken a high place among first-class cricketers but for scholastic duties as a master in turn at Wellington and Cheltenham limiting his appearances for Gloucestershire, died at Tiverton on December 29 in his 66th year. Born at Richmond in Surrey, he went to Cheltenham College and was one of five brothers in the cricket eleven from 1883 to 1898. He enjoyed the remarkable distinction of playing in the eleven five seasons, 1892 to 1896, being captain during the last three. Twice he headed the batting averages and, maintaining this form, he obtained his Blue as a Freshman at Oxford, where he was in the eleven four years.

Captain in 1899, he earned high praise by making the first hundred hit against Joe Darling's Australian team--120 on the Christ Church ground--and Oxford led on the first innings by 38. That season, when W. G. Grace had left Gloucestershire, F. H. Bateman-Champain scored a brilliant 123 out of 182 for the first wicket against Warwickshire at Bristol; he hit all five 4's in a five-ball over from S. Santall to the boundary. In 1907 he made his highest score, 149 against Surrey at the Oval, but perhaps his best display for the county was in 1897, when with little experience of first-class cricket, he stopped an utter collapse by scoring 97 in a total of 137 against Lancashire at Bristol. F. G. Roberts, 7 not out, stayed while 74 were added for the last wicket. I saw that innings and recall how W. G. Grace and A. N. Hornby, the rival captains, congratulated the former Oxonian on his admirable style and free hitting against Hallam, Cuttell, Mold and Briggs. His liking for the Lancashire attack was shown again next year at Old Trafford in a splendid not out innings of 113, played in a great effort to get 374 for victory.

His last appearance for Gloucestershire was in 1914. He played for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval in 1897 and 1899, making 82 on the first occasion. Altogether during his much broken cricket career he scored 3,597 runs at an average of 19.42 in first-class matches. Sometimes he bowled slows, but in the field his place was at cover-point, where he was grand in the exceptional company of such a great off-side fieldsman as G. L. Jessop--his rival captain for Cambridge when the Oxford leader was known as F. H. B. Champain. He never revealed his batting form at Lord's in the University match, his best score being 34, but as a half-back for Oxford he played consistently well in the seasons 1897 to 1899. He took up fruit farming in British Columbia in 1911, and during the Great War he became captain in the Ordnance Corps.--H.P.

BELL, MR. A. K., who died at Perth on April 26, was prominent in Scottish cricket as a player for Perthshire, which he captained for a long period, and for the Grange club, besides being a liberal supporter of the game. He gave the cricket ground at Dorrat Park to Perth, and more recently Perth Academy were indebted to him for a new pitch. A kinsman of A. J. Bell, the South African bowler, he always welcomed cricket guests, among those in recent years being D. G. Bradman.

BIRD, MR. PERCY JOHN, who died suddenly at Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight, in November, aged 62, took a prominent part in local cricket and occasionally played for Hampshire. He was a member of M.C.C. and well known in racing and yachting circles.

BRINTON, MR. REGINALD SEYMOUR, died at Kidderminster on February 23, aged 72. Educated at Winchester and Oxford, he failed to qualify for either eleven, but played occasionally for Worcestershire from 1903 to 1909.

BUCKSTON, CAPTAIN GEORGE MORETON, died very suddenly on November 24, aged 61. For Eton in 1900 he scored 45 and 4 at Lord's in a splendid match which Harrow won by one wicket. A late choice for Cambridge in 1903, he failed, like most of his colleagues, in a one-sided encounter which Oxford won by 268 runs. A peculiar feature of the Cambridge batting was that Dowson, 54, and Keigwin, 30, in the first innings, Godsell, 59, and F. B. Wilson in the second innings, were the only scorers of double figures. Buckston played for Derbyshire in 1906, averaging 20.37 with highest innings 96, but he fared poorly next season, when Derbyshire finished last in the championship, and did not appear again until undertaking the captaincy in 1921. Returning to important cricket after a long absence, when 40 years of age he enjoyed the satisfaction of helping Derbyshire in a great improvement on their previous season's disastrous record. He could not be persuaded to retain the position, but became chairman of the County Club Committee.

BOOTH, MR. JOHN JAMES, President of the Bradford Cricket League for twenty-five years before retiring in 1933, died on May 15, aged 71. He did much to encourage the charitable side of the Priestley Cup Competition and raised the status of League cricket generally by his work as President of the Yorkshire Cricket Federation which protects the interests of about 650 clubs in the county. Mr. Booth influenced the development of young players to county class, and during the last war he helped the introduction of star professionals to League cricket.

BUSH, COLONEL HARRY STEBBING, C.M.G., C.B., whose death occurred on March 18 at the age of 70, stood out as a batsman of marked ability for Surrey, when free from military duties, between 1901 and 1912. He gave an exceptionally good display at Old Trafford in 1902 when hitting 111 off the strong Lancashire attack. Other noteworthy innings for the county were 135 against Derbyshire and 101 not out against Nottinghamshire, both at the Oval in 1911, when, with an average of 41.35, he came second to Hayward in the Surrey batting. Altogether in first-class cricket he averaged 24.59 for an aggregate of 2,607 runs. A heavy scorer in club cricket, he made 314 not out for Eastbourne against C. E. Hambro's eleven in 1893 in five hours. Also at Eastbourne that year he scored 113 and 122 not out against Crystal Palace. This double feat he repeated in 1909 with 114 and 134 for Army Ordnance Corps against R.A., Woolwich; he could bowl, too, and in that match took 12 wickets. Still more remarkable was his all-round performance at Folkestone against Oxford Authentics in 1909, when he scored 254, took 17 wickets and held a catch. In his last match of importance for The Army against Royal Navy at Lord's in 1914 he made 34 and 36. He excelled on fast pitches, thanks to adhering to the custom of playing forward with full use of his height and strength. His off-driving was brilliant in its certainty and power. So sure was he in timing the ball that he batted without gloves, and seldom suffered at all from such a daring habit that was peculiar to himself during his own period of excellence. Educated at Dover College, he developed ability at Rugby football as a wing three-quarter for Harlequins and Surrey.

CANDLER, MR. JOHN PYCROFT, Medical Officer of Health for Huntingdon, died on December 4, aged 70. He played in trial matches at Cambridge in 1894 with the strange experience of failing to score in six innings, being three times not out. Next season he was equally unfortunate until his fourth effort realised 8 not out. As a bowler he took a few wickets at high cost.

CHEALES, COLONEL RALPH DARBY, O.B.E., who died at Vereeniging, South Africa, on December 23, aged 73, was in the Harrow eleven in 1888 when Eton were beaten by 156 runs. F. S. Jackson gave a wonderful display with both bat and ball; on an occasion when many batsmen failed he scored 21 and 59 and took eleven wickets for 68 runs. It was said that before the match Jackson's father, subsequently raised to the Peerage as Lord Allerton, promised his son a sovereign for every wicket he took and a shilling for every run that he made. Congratulated after the match, young Jackson replied, I don't care so much for myself, but it will give the guv'nor a lift. Cheales, tenth in the batting order, got only 6 not out and 3, and did not bowl. That was better than A. C. MacLaren, 0 and 4, opening batsman, who, like Jackson--so well known as Sir Stanley Jackson, P.C.--reached the highest fame in the cricket world.

COLMAN, SIR JEREMIAH, J. P., died on January 15, aged 82, at his home, Gatton Park, Reigate, Surrey. A year before he underwent a severe operation from which he never fully recovered, but until a few hours before his passing he attended to business and signed cheques. That was characteristic of the close interest and unflagging zeal which he applied to cricket. The game was in his blood, for his father was one of eleven brothers who played as a team in Norfolk about a century ago. He used to say that he had no chance of cricket at school, but at St. John's College, Cambridge, he learned to bowl with such good results that he became captain of the College XI in 1882.

He never played first-class cricket, but occupied his leisure watching all the best matches, particularly those between England and Australia and the Universities. A member of the Surrey Club from an early age, he became President in 1916, retained the office for seven years, and remained an enthusiastic Vice-President until his end. Famous in commerce as the Mustard Millionaire, he related that his father, one of the founders of the firm--J. and J. Colman--once said that the family fortunes were made, not from the mustard people ate, but from what they left on their plates. He had a splendid collection of cricket pictures and was one of the best-known growers of orchids in the world.

COLMAN, MR. STANLEY, known to all cricketers in the South of England as captain of Wanderers Club for over fifty years, died at Walton-on-the-Hill on February 27, aged 80. When a boy he founded the club, which remained his chief hobby, and, changing its name from Clapham Wanderers, he conducted all its business. When at length his playing days ceased he continued as treasurer and acted as M.C. at the annual dinner--an outstanding event in cricket's social life until the war intervened. Youngest son of Mr. Edward Colman, one of eleven brothers who played cricket in Norfolk a century ago, Stanley was cousin of Sir Jeremiah, whom he outlived by only a few weeks.

An admirable bat and safe fieldsman, he played for Surrey occasionally in the'eighties, his highest innings being 63--his first appearance for the county, at Trent Bridge in 1882, coincided with that of Robert Abel. He often captained the second XI and at the Oval in 1897 carried his bat for 111 against Northamptonshire. For many years he served on the County Club Committee, and never missed watching a match at the Oval unless playing elsewhere, while, despite declining health, he maintained his attendance in 1939. A member of M.C.C., he invariably wore the club's famous red and gold tie.

During his long active career he scored over 40,000 runs and made over a hundred centuries, and such was his stubborn defence that in more than 300 innings he was not out. Most memorable of his achievements was his first-wicket stand of 472 with Percy Coles for Devonshire Park against G. W. Morrison's XI at Eastbourne in 1892, a record partnership for any wicket in all grades of cricket until J. T. Brown and J. Tunnicliffe put up 554 for Yorkshire against Derbyshire at Chesterfield in 1898. While usually a steady batsman, he could use his height in fine hitting all round the wicket. S. H. Evershed (172), afterwards Derbyshire captain, and Stanley Colman (112) added 310 for the Carrow second wicket in 135 minutes at Lakenham and were not separated. Twice with D. L. A. Jephson, afterwards Surrey captain, Stanley Colman scored 300 for the first wicket. For Wanderers in 1900 he made 102 not out, 145 and 100 (retired hurt) in consecutive innings. A strange experience was his opening stand for 211 with F. E. Saunders, an England Association international half-back. Neither man hit a boundary owing to the size of the ground and long grass in the country.

A very good sprint runner, Stanley Colman played both Rugby and Association football for Clapham Rovers. When feeling too old for the Rugby game he captained the club's Association eleven. I was fortunate to play with him and N. C. Bailey. In later years he was a keen golfer until neuritis in the arm compelled him to forsake active participation in any game.--H.P.

COMBEY, JOHN, who played for Durham from 1903 to 1906, died in August, aged 64. At different times he was professional with the Blyth and Dalkieth, Edinburgh, clubs and coach at Royal High School, Edinburgh. A good fast bowler and sure catch in the slips, he also proved useful as a batsman late on the list.

CONSTANTINE, MR. LEBRUN S., who died on January 5 at Trinidad, aged 67, came to England with the first two teams from West Indies in 1900 and 1906, and made a name for proficiency at the game, earning a reputation for zeal which his son, Laurie N. Constantine, has raised to high fame. After doing well for Trinidad as a batsman with individual style in bringing off unexpected strokes, Lebrun Constantine, under the captaincy of Mr. R. S. A. Warner, brother of Sir Pelham, averaged 30 for 610 runs on his first visit, being surpassed only by Ollivierre. Against Gentlemen of M.C.C. at Lord's, after being not out 24, he scored 113 in the follow-on, and with W. J. Burton, one of two professionals in the side, added 162 in 65 minutes for the ninth wicket, so preventing an innings defeat. On his second visit Lebrun Constantine averaged 29 for 1,025 in all matches. Besides his value as a vigorous batsman he fielded with plenty of dash.

DAVIS, MR. JOSEPH GARIBALDI, secretary of the Chicago Cricket Club and a distinguished player for them over forty years ago, died on April 3 in his 80th year. An Englishman, born in London, he went to America in 1884, and in 1890 joined the Chicago Cricket Club. In 1879, by taking 127 wickets, he set up a club record which held for forty years. A good bat, he made several centuries, and in 1903, with J. M. Laing, put on 312 for the fourth wicket--a Chicago record. He showed ability at other games and held a high position as a sporting journalist.

DE PARAVICINI, MR. HARRY FARQUHAR, a noted Sussex sportsman and Past-President of the County Cricket Club, died on October 28, at Hove, aged 83. He played for Harrow in 1877 and 1878, his more famous younger brother, Percy John, being in the Eton XI that suffered defeat by 20 runs in the latter year. Harry went to Cambridge, but did not get his Blue, and he played sometimes for Middlesex without any notable success. He was one of the Harrow pair that won the Public Schools Racquets Championship in 1878.

DOLPHIN, ARTHUR, the well-known wicket-keeper and Test match umpire died at his home in Bradford on October 24 in his 56th year. Yorkshire wicket-keepers have been noted for long and effective service, and Dolphin followed Ned Stephenson, George Pinder, Joe Hunter and David Hunter, while Arthur Wood, his successor, came as the sixth who, taken together, did splendid service for their county during nearly eighty years.

First appearing for Yorkshire in 1905, Dolphin became the regular keeper in 1910, and held the position until he retired at the end of the 1927 season, Contemporary with Herbert Strudwick and E. J. Smith, Dolphin only once played for England--in the Fourth Test Match at Melbourne in February 1921, when Australia, captained by W. W. Armstrong, won the rubber with five victories over the team led by J. W. H. T. Douglas. During a career extending over 23 seasons, Dolphin held 488 catches and stumped 231 men, and scored 4,191 runs in first-class matches, average 10.76.

As a batsman he often defended well in a crisis, and perhaps his best performance was against Essex at Leyton in 1919, the season of two-day matches; he scored 62 not out, and with E. Smith put on 103 for the last wicket, so saving their side from following-on when Yorkshire were in danger.

One of his most notable feats behind the stumps was against Hampshire at Leeds in 1921, a match which provided a genuine sensation. Hampshire declared at 456 for two wickets, Dolphin having conceded only two byes. Two England left-handers, George Brown 232, and C. P. Mead, 122, both not out, severely punished the Yorkshire bowling and the northern county were beaten by an innings and 72 runs. In his benefit match in 1892 at Leeds against Kent, which realised £1,891, he scored 2, and 20 out of 24 without being dismissed, he having the honour of hitting off the runs required by Yorkshire for victory by ten wickets.

When his playing days were over, Dolphin became an efficient and popular umpire, known as the man who never wore a hat. Even on the hottest day he stood bare-headed in the middle.

DUCAT, ANDREW, died July 23; see special article, page 42.

FITZSIMMONS, MR. EDWARD, a good slow bowler for Wellington fifty years ago, died at Wanganui on January 29, aged 73. He used the off-break with effect and his accurate length made him difficult to punish. A smart slip fieldsman, he completed his value as an all-rounder by causing trouble late in the batting list.

FRANCIS, G. M., a bowler of exceptional merit, as county batsmen discovered in 1923 when a team from West Indies visited England, died in January aged 44. Avoiding any theory, such as many fast bowlers have overdone, he bowled at the stumps. A groundsman in Barbados, he attracted the attention of H. B. G. Austin, captain of the side, and by his influence Francis came to England. He took 96 wickets at 15.32 apiece, and in first-class matches with 82 at 15.58 each he far surpassed the efforts of any of his colleagues. He did not maintain this form in 1928 when West Indies received Test status, and generally faced stronger opposition than on their previous tour. To Francis only 56 batsmen fell at an average cost of 31.96, chief honours going to L. N. Constantine and H. C. Griffith. These three were described at one time as the strongest combination of fast bowlers in any Test side, but they accomplished far more at home than when in England. In January 1926, for Barbados, Francis took nine wickets for 56 runs, and the M.C.C. team captained by the Hon. F. S. G. Calthorpe were beaten in an innings--the only defeat suffered. Directly afterwards England enjoyed full revenge in the first representative match, but when Barbados were faced again--these three games being played in the course of a fortnight-- Francis, with seven wickets for 50 and two for 41, helped to outplay the Englishmen, who, with eight wickets down after following-on, narrowly escaped defeat on a pitch damaged by rain. When West Indies lost at Port of Spain, Francis did little, but again was the best bowler at Georgetown, where England had to fight to avoid defeat.

In the Australian season of 1930-31 West Indies contested a full series of five Tests, and Francis, without accomplishing anything exceptional, was prominent in an attack which helped to gain a victory by 30 runs, after two declarations by G. C. Grant, in the final match of the series at Sydney. They lost four times, and this first success over Australia, though largely due to changed conditions by rain, showed that West Indies were making rapid progress in the cricket world. Francis had no pretensions in batting, but fielded in the dashing style associated with teams representing West Indies. In 1933 Francis, then engaged in English League cricket, played in the First Test at Lord's, but failed and did not appear again.

GALE, MR. NORMAN ROWLAND, the Cricket Poet, who played the game with the Rugby Club, died on October 7, aged 80. Among his many beautiful publications were Cricket Songs, 1890 and 1894; More Cricket Songs, 1905; and Close of Play, 1936, with which he ended:

Run out:

To cricket played without a crease,

Its scores, umpires and police,

A harrowing farewell:

All that I had to sing is sung,

And now, being very far from young,

I have no more to tell.

GIDDY, MR. LENNOX LLEWELLYN, died at Pretoria in June, aged 73. He batted well for Eastern Province teams from 1887 to 1906. For Grahamstown XXII in March 1889 against the first English team to tour South Africa he scored 45, and played against each of the next four English teams. In Currie Cup cricket his best performance was 62 and 71 for Eastern province against Griqualand West at Port Elizabeth in April 1903. An outstanding tennis player, he was the South African singles champion from 1894 to 1898.

GURNEY, MR. WALTER SOMERVILLE, a noted Norfolk cricketer for many years, died on July 1, aged 84. A good batsman at Haileybury and smart fieldsman, he played admirably for the county of his birth and occasionally for Suffolk when residing at Ipswich. He was chief scorer for Norfolk against M.C.C., who were defeated at East Dereham in 1876, and he made the highest score, 71, when, in 1882, Norfolk beat Shaw and Shrewsbury's famous team at Norwich. Another memorable innings was 96 not out at Southampton in a drawn match with Hampshire in 1889.

HALL, MR. JOHN E., for many years secretary of the Canadian Cricket Association, died during the summer at the age of 88. Born in Lancashire, he went to Canada when about 23 years old, and in his new home became an enthusiastic supporter of the game he loved. He was on the board of both the Toronto and Parkdale clubs, and made the arrangements, besides acting as scorer, for several English visiting teams.

HAYCRAFT, MR. JAMES SAMUEL, died in London on March 26, aged 77 years. A prolific scorer for the Stoics, Nondescripts and Pallingswick clubs, he played once for Middlesex--against Surrey at the Oval in 1885. Going in first, he was bowled by George Lohmann for 0 and 5. On a drying pitch Middlesex, in their first season under A. J. Webbe, dismissed for 25 and 77, were beaten by an innings and 64 runs. W. (Billy) Williams, still a familiar figure at Lord's, also was making his first appearance for Middlesex and retained his place as wicket-keeper during that summer; but the dismal experience satisfied Haycraft.

HAYWOOD, ROBERT A., a batsman who did good service for Northamptonshire from 1910 to 1921, died in Edinburgh on June 1, aged 54. The opportunity of becoming coach at Fettes College influenced him to give up county cricket when at the height of his form. Born at Eltham, in Surrey, he played for Northamptonshire against Philadelphians in 1908, and next season, with 39, he was the highest scorer in the second innings against M. A. Noble's Australian team during the county qualifying period. He started modestly when appearing in most of the championship matches in 1910, and, rising to number three in the list, he became the most prolific batsman next season, with 153 against Gloucestershire--his first century, made by brilliant hitting all round the wicket. He joined G. J. Thomson when six wickets were down for 69, and they added 222 in two hours and a half. Victory by ten wickets resulted. The same pair put on 230 at a slow pace against Yorkshire at Dewsbury earlier in the season, and their steadiness helped to beat Yorkshire by 44 runs in the return match. Curiously enough, when in 1912 Northants finished a close second to Yorkshire for the championship, Haywood declined more than other batsmen in a wet summer, and bowling accounted for the county doing so well. Usually a hard hitter, Haywood sometimes avoided risks, but was always good to watch. In 1920 the visit of Surrey to Northampton produced the record aggregate for a county match--1475 for 27 wickets-- Haywood contributing 15 and 96. Next season, his last, he scored 1,887 runs, average 43.88, and was by far the most valuable batsman for the county. He hit eight of the eleven centuries scored for the side, his highest, 198 against Glamorganshire, a splendid display of hard, safe stroke play, marred by only one chance when 168. Altogether in first-class cricket his aggregate reached 8,225 at an average of 28.66 an innings.

HUGGINS, HARRY J., a Gloucestershire professional from 1901 to 1921, died on November 19 at Stroud, aged 65. He started when G. L. Jessop made the Western county an attraction wherever they played, and some of his remarkable performances with the ball helped in victories over presumably more powerful sides. Born at Oxford in 1877, Huggins was 24 when his residential qualification enabled him to appear in county cricket, and, taking 63 wickets, he at once showed his value, but was expensive. Relying less on swerve, he concentrated on length and spin next season, with such good results that his medium-paced bowling, gathering pace from the turf, brought startling results in two matches. At Hove in May, in the Sussex first innings he bowled 21 overs and 5 balls, 15 maidens, for 17 runs and 7 wickets--a grand achievement that paved the way to a substantial victory. He also clean bowled Ranjitsinhji in the second innings, and formed a strong contrast to Fred Roberts, the last left-hander, who claimed in the match seven wickets for 57. In August, at Worcester, Huggins returned figures almost as good--21.1-8-37-7.

Two years later, 1904, he surpassed these efforts in the August Bank Holiday match at Bristol by taking nine Sussex wickets for 34 runs in 26 overs and 2 balls--15 maidens. If less successful in the second innings, he again bowled C. B. Fry, so repeating one deadly ball bowled at Hove in May, when his match record showed ten wickets for 132 runs. In that first innings at Bristol, Huggins clean bowled eight men and caught his other victim from a return. No wonder that the Sussex captain described Huggins as equal to any bowler that Sussex played against during that summer. Fry spoke from personal experience, besides critical observation from the pavilion. George Dennett then had succeeded Roberts as the stock left-handed bowler, and to his clever slows the speed of Huggins proved a most valuable foil, quite apart from the ability of the faster bowler to dismiss the best batsmen. Unfortunately Huggins put on weight for a middle-height man and his brilliant days grew infrequent. His full record in first-class cricket, 584 wickets at 29.03 runs apiece, showed clearly that he often proved expensive.

As a batsman also he was fitful. He looked like developing into a great all-rounder when in 1904 at Nottingham he contributed 53 to the highest total made by any county that season, 636; Jessop hit 206 and Gloucestershire won in a single innings. But his rise in the batting order did not last, and his best year, 1906, brought him no more than 465 runs, average 22.14 in county matches, with 91 his best display. His record in sixteen seasons totalled 4,375 runs, average 14.43. After retirement as a player he scored for the county during several seasons. For over forty years he was associated with the Stroud club, for whom his ability as a forcing batsman brought many runs.

HYDE, SIR CHARLES, Bart., O.B.E., LL.D., President of the Warwickshire County Cricket Club from 1931, died on November 26, aged 66. At the annual meeting of the club in March 1940 he made a memorable speech regarding money-making sports. Sir Charles said that when county cricket started again something would have to be done about the entertainment tax. Cricket was one of the few sports which had not degenerated into a gambling and money-making concern. Racing, football, dog-racing and other sports could afford the tax, but it was slowly killing county cricket. He was sorry to see that the Football Association and the football coupon businesses were now extending their activities right into the summer, and this had to be watched carefully. He also denounced freak declarations and said, They are not good for cricket. There were some curious happenings last season, and under the present system of scoring in the County Championship a club appears to need the services of a skilled mathematician to advise whether an innings should be declared or whether a side should bat at all!

Unmarried, Sir Charles did not leave any heir, and with his death the Baronetcy, bestowed on him in 1922, became extinct.

KEMP, MR. HAROLD FITCH, youngest of the four brothers who played for Harrow, died at Harpenden, Herts, on March 2, in his 75th year. In the XI two years 1885 and 1886, he was unfortunate in his experiences at Lord's.

KITCAT, MR. SIDNEY AUSTYN PAUL, an accomplished batsman for Marlborough in 1885 and 1886, and for Gloucestershire when able to appear in county cricket until 1904, died at Esher, aged 73, on June 17. In 1896, at Bristol, he scored 77 not out, helping W. G. Grace, who made 301, put on 193 for the ninth wicket against Sussex. Another good display was in 1897, when his 93 not out off the Middlesex bowling was largely responsible for his inclusion in the Gentlemen's XI against Players at the Oval. Business prevented him from playing much first-class cricket, but he was very prominent in the Esher eleven for many seasons, and when over 70 years of age he captained the veterans against the colts in their annual match. He went to Portugal in 1895 and 1898 with teams captained by Mr. T. Westray.

When captain of Marlborough in 1886, his second season in the eleven, and Rugby won by 37 runs, Kitcat was the victim of an irregularity which certainly influenced the result. At that time Law 14 read:

The bowler may not change ends more than twice in the same innings, nor bowl more than two overs in succession.

The Rugby bowlers and the umpires were responsible for the error. C. W. Bengough, the Rugby captain, went on to bowl twice at each end, and in his first over when bowling a second time from the pavilion end, Kitcat, when well set, was caught at cover-point for 27. The umpires after discussion gave Kitcat out, and Mr. Perkins, the M.C.C. secretary, supported the verdict; but Bengough, after completing the over, was not allowed to bowl another ball in the innings. Much argument and correspondence ensued, and largely because of this incident the law was amended in 1889, allowing a bowler to change ends as often as he pleases provided that he does not bowl two consecutive overs in one innings.

Kitcat played Rugby football for the College and Marlborough Nomads; also hockey for Marlborough, Moseley, Middlesex, Surrey, the South, and England.

LAWSON-SMITH, MR. EDWARD MAULE, who played for Harrow two years, died in York on November 20, aged 83. In his second match at Lord's in 1878, when Harrow won by 20 runs, he took four wickets and made 66, the highest innings for either side. He was run out in each innings. Lord Hawke and the brothers G. B. and C. T. Studd were in the Eton XI. For twenty-five years he was hon. secretary and treasurer of the Yorkshire Gentlemen's club and was well known in hunting circles. He added Smith to his name in 1880.

LEE, MR. EDWARD CORNWALL, an old Wykehamist and Oxford Blue, died at Petersfield on June 16, aged 64. A very good bowler of medium pace with easy action, his most memorable performance was at Lord's in 1898, when, taking seven wickets for 57 (five for 31 in the Cambridge first innings), he was largely responsible for Oxford winning by nine wickets. For Winchester in 1896 he dismissed five Etonians for 98 in a total of 343, but next year, when Winchester avenged the previous defeat, his share of the twenty Eton wickets was only two. He made occasional appearances for Hampshire from 1896 to 1909, but seldom caused serious trouble to county batsmen. He played golf for Oxford--1898 to 1900--and ice hockey against Cambridge in 1900. He went to America with P. F. Warner's team in 1898, and to West Indies with B. J. T. Bosanquet's side in 1902.

LE FLEMING, MR. JOHN, M.A., a valuable batsman at Tonbridge School in 1882-1884 and, when available, for Kent from 1889 to 1899, died at Montreux in Switzerland on October 9, within a few days of completing 77 years. Of medium height and build, he showed good style in defence and hitting. He played his best innings for the county in 1892 at Hove, scoring 134 off the Sussex bowlers while 188 were added to the score. Using the drive and cut with effect, he could pay a punishing game, but was inconsistent. He fielded well in the deep. In 1884 he went to Holland with Tonbridge Rovers and made many runs for the Tonbridge Club, a notable innings being 228 against Southborough in 1889. At Cambridge he did not appear in the cricket eleven, but speed as a three-quarter-back got his Rugby football Blue in 1884. He appeared altogether three times against Oxford, the last two of these matches being won by the Light Blues. In 1887, when a member of Blackheath, he took part in a drawn match between England and Wales. A very good athlete, he won the hurdles for Cambridge and the amateur championship 120 yards hurdle race in 1887. A year later, when representing Cambridge for the third time, he again proved victorious in the hurdles. He also excelled as a skater, and he won the Challenge Bowl and Shield given by the Davos Platz Club for figure competitions in 1893.

LEPPER, THE REV. CANON ARTHUR LINDSAY, Vicar of Huddersfield, who played cricket for Dublin University, being captain in 1906, died on February 14, aged 58.

LOVE, MR. HARRY, who played sometimes for Sussex in 1892 and 1893, died at Hastings on March 27, aged 70.

LUCAS, MR. ROBERT SLADE, who died on January 5, aged 74, was a valuable batsman for Middlesex during ten years at the end of last century. Perhaps his best innings in first-class cricket was 97 against Surrey at the Oval in 1894, when Lockwood and Richardson were at the top of their form. Next season he was good enough to play in every match for the powerful Middlesex batting side. His highest innings came in a heavy scoring match at Hove in June 1895. The aggregate amounted to 1,259 for 28 wickets, a high figure at that time. Lucas made 185, and with T. C. O'Brien (202) put on 338 at the rate of a hundred runs an hour for the fifth wicket; the Middlesex total reached 566. That season he played for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval. R. S. Lucas went to America with Lord Hawke's team in the autumn of 1894, and he captained the first English team that visited West Indies. In a remarkable match during that tour, Barbados in their first innings scored 517 and gained a lead of 206; but the touring side won by 25 runs. Prominent for Richmond and Teddington in London club cricket, Lucas also played for Old Merchant Taylors', and in 1891, in a not-out innings of 141 at Charterhouse Square against the School, which he had captained in 1885, he hit the ball out of the ground seven times, twice in succession through the same window of a private house. He played hockey for England.

LYTTELTON, REV. THE HON. DR. EDWARD, youngest but one and last survivor of eight sons of the 4th Lord Lyttelton, seven of whom played for Eton during the period 1857 to 1875, died on January 26 at Lincoln. Born on July 23, 1855, he was 86 years old. Less tall than some of his brothers, he was nearly six feet and well proportioned--in fact the ideal build for sport. Great at the Field and Wall games at Eton, he played Association for England against Scotland in 1878. He excelled at Fives and did well at the Long Jump and Weight Putting, but his great triumphs came on the cricket field. He played for Eton 1872 to 1874, finishing as captain, when his 58 went a long way towards beating Harrow by five wickets at Lord's, and there followed more brilliant achievements during four years in the Cambridge XI. Alternately he knew defeat and victory, the second success over Oxford coming when he led his side to victory by 238 runs; he contributed 53 and 10. His average of 29 for the season was remarkable in those days. That match came in the course of a wonderful experience for Edward Lyttelton at Lord's. With scores of 44 and 66 he helped the Gentlemen to beat the Players by 206 runs; the match produced 1,066 runs, the only aggregate of four figures that season. Then E. Lyttelton led Cambridge to victory by an innings and 72 runs over the Australian team. This concluded the Cambridge programme of eight matches, all won decisively against powerful opponents, four with an innings to spare. Edward Lyttelton was unlucky, for, after hitting three fours and a three, he was run out. Before these three games Edward Lyttelton scored the only hundred hit against that first Australian team captained by D. W. Gregory. The match holds a special place in the history of the game for several reasons. It took place soon after the dismissal of M.C.C. for 19 runs by the Australians, who in a victory attained in one day placed themselves in the front rank of cricket. On the morning of the Middlesex match the brothers Grace came to Lord's and fetched W. Midwinter, a member of the Australian team, to play at The Oval for Gloucestershire, the county of his birth, for whom he had appeared in the previous season. Then I. D. Walker, captain of an entirely amateur Middlesex team, took the unusual course in those days of putting theAustralians in to bat--the weather was fine after much rain. The county replied to a total of 165 with 111 for the loss of four men, A. J. Webbe making 50; but the innings closed for 11 more runs. T. W. Garrett altogether taking seven wickets for 38 runs. The Australians maintained their advantage, and Middlesex, wanting 284 to win, fared lamentably, losing four wickets with the total 14. Edward Lyttelton at this crisis scored 37 before stumps were drawn with the total 79 for six wickets.

Wisden describes how on the Saturday, in weather so hot that the glass stood at 105 in the sun, Edward Lyttelton hit so brilliantly that he made 10 runs in an over (four balls at that time) from Allan and 12 in an over from Spofforth, 31 runs in 14 minutes, and 57 out of 69 in 41 minutes, before Spofforth bowled H. R. Webbe for 17. E. Lyttelton went on hitting in superb style until last out to a catch at slip for 113, his 76 runs that morning having been made in 74 minutes. The very finest hitting display made in 1878. The Australians won by 98 runs.

In 1882 he was in the Cambridge Past and Present team that beat the Australians at Portsmouth by 20 runs.

Splendid in style, Edward Lyttelton cut both late and square and drove to the off in the true Etonian manner with great power, and was a dashing field at long-leg or middle wicket off. He played sometimes for Worcestershire, and continued to assist Middlesex and other sides until 1882, when he gave up first-class cricket. He hit many hundreds in minor cricket, and in 1877 for Cambridge Long Vacation Club made 228 against M.C.C.

After being an assistant master at Wellington and Eton, he became headmaster at Haileybury until he returned to Eton in 1905, remaining headmaster until 1916, when he retired.

McCORMICK, MR. EDWARD JAMES, a well-known Hastings sportsman, specially prominent at cricket, died in Ireland in January, aged 79. He began young, playing when 15 for Hastings and District against the first Australian team in 1878. Appearing first for Sussex in 1880 and finishing county cricket in 1890, he scored 1,345 runs, average 15.63, and, bowling medium-paced, took eighteen wickets. He fielded well at third man and in the deep. In 1889 he scored 20 and 25 not out for Gentlemen against a powerful team of Players in the Hastings festival and so helped largely to win the match by one wicket. As a memento of the occasion the Mayor of Hastings presented Mr. McCormick with a bat and said it was a great thing for the town that, among the many great players, a local man had been able to carry off the honours. For an eleven which he captained he hit 212 in 1885 on the Hastings ground, and when 56 years of age he made over a hundred in a single-wicket match on the same ground.

MIDGLEY, MR. C. A., who played in four matches for Yorkshire in 1906 died in Bradford in June, aged 68. A useful bat, he scored 115 runs in those few games with an average of 28.75, and took eight wickets at 18.62 apiece. Actually, he was placed fourth in batting to Hirst, 2,164 runs, Denton, 1,905 runs, and Rhodes, 1,618 runs, while only Schofield Haigh and Hirst had better bowling averages--but their wickets were 161 and 201 respectively. Hirst accomplished his unique double record, and Rhodes also did the double that season.

MIDLETON THE EARL OF, President of the Surrey Club in 1923 and for many years a vice-president and trustee, died on February 13, aged 85. Among his many activities he found time for much committee work and generally in furthering the interest of the County Club, besides constantly attending matches at the Oval. Objecting to excessive preparation of pitches, he preferred the kind of turf on his private ground at Peper Harow, Godalming, where he said that a match of four innings could be played to a finish between 11.30 and 6.30.

MILLAR, MR. CHARLES CHRISTIAN HOYER, founder and for 55 years president of Rosslyn Park Rugby football Club, who died on November 22, aged 81, deserved mention in Wisden for a very special and unique reason. He undertook on his own initiative to weed Lord's turf, and Sir Francis Lacey, secretary of M.C.C., signed a deed of appointment making him Honorary Weedkiller to G.H.Q. Cricket. From 1919 to 1931 he kept up his task, being particularly busy on summer evenings after stumps were drawn, and his zeal often received comment from pressmen walking to the exit when their duties were done. Mr. Millar, according to his own reckoning, accounted for 624,000 victims, having spent 956 hours in his war against plantains and other unwanted vegetation.

MILLS, MR. GEORGE, died at Auckland on March 13, aged 74. Very good both as a slow bowler and batsman, he kept his form for many years. In 1887 he showed his ability by taking ten wickets for 70 runs and scoring 39 not out against Wellington; nine years later he made the first century for Auckland, carrying his bat through the innings for 106, against the same opponents. He met various touring sides from Australia and Lord Hawke's team, captained by P. F. Warner, which went to New Zealand in the winter of 1902. His son, J. E. Mills, toured England with New Zealand teams in 1927 and 1931.

NORTH, MR. T. H., well known in New Zealand cricket, died at Christchurch in October. He played for Canterbury from 1893 to 1897, being specially useful as a fast-medium bowler. Against Otago in 1896 he took five wickets for 13 runs, but in a low scoring match Canterbury were beaten by nine wickets. For his club-- Lancaster Park--he did many good performances. His son is chairman of the Canterbury Cricket Association management committee.

OATES, LIEUT.-COL.WILLIAM COAPE, D.S.O., died in a nursing home on February 20, aged 79. Twelfth man for Harrow in 1879, he played a few times in 1881 and 1882 for Nottinghamshire, a very powerful side at that period.

OHLSON, MR. F. H., for many years a prominent figure in Auckland cricket and Rugby football circles, especially on the administrative side of these games, died on May 20, aged 74. In representative cricket his best efforts were 59 not out against the New South Wales side which toured New Zealand in 1896, and 49 the same season against Wellington. He played also against other touring teams from Queensland, Melbourne, and Lord Hawke's side captained by P. F. Warner in 1902-03. He made many runs for the Parnell Club.

O'NEIL, MR. ALFRED, a prominent figure in Scottish cricket, died on September 17, aged 66. For twenty years he played for the Brechin Club, being captain from 1908 to 1911, and took part in the club record first-wicket partnership, 171 against Edinburgh Schools. When associated with Aberdeenshire he acted as umpire in Scottish County Championship matches. A contributor to The Cricketer, he also wrote The History of Angus Cricket.

OYSTON, CHARLES, who played occasionally for Yorkshire in the seasons 1900 to 1909, died during the summer, aged 73. Chosen first for the county when approaching middle life--31--his chance in the powerful side captained by Lord Hawke depended upon an accidental vacancy. With his bowling of varied pace he took 22 wickets at 29.86 runs each, and as batsman he scored 84 runs, average 7.63.

PAPILLON, MR. GODFREY KEPPEL, who played for Northumberland, died on August 14, aged 74.

PAYNE, MR. JOHN HENRY, who played a few times for Lancashire in 1880 and 1883, died at Victoria Park, Manchester, on January 24, in his 84th year.

PILKINGTON, MR. HUBERT CARLISLE, youngest of three brothers who played cricket for Eton, died after two operations in a Hertfordshire nursing home on June 17. A first-rate batsman with admirable style, he enjoyed the highly acclaimed distinction of scoring a hundred when first appearing at Lord's--101 against Harrow in 1896. In three matches for Eton against Harrow he made 239 runs, average nearly 48. Eton were not fortunate at that time, and H. C. Pilkington, after taking part in two drawn games with Harrow, led the side in a match that ended in defeat by nine wickets, despite his good work as opening batsman.

Getting his Oxford Blue in 1899 as a Freshman, he scored 93 in the second innings against Cambridge, and next season his 87 and 45 were prominent in an encounter memorable for the batting of R. E. Foster, whose 171 was then the highest score in a match between the Universities. He excelled at the Eton football games and at Fives. He was President of the Eton Society, 1897-98.

Becoming a member of the London Stock Exchange in 1902, H. C. Pilkington found little time for first-class cricket, but played occasionally for Middlesex. During the last war he became an officer in a Guards machine-gun regiment. Born on October 25, 1879, at Woolton, Lancashire, he passed away in his 63rd year.

PITON, MR. JOHN HENRY, who died at Johannesburg on July 20, was one of the best known early South African cricketers. A useful batsman and clever lob bowler, he played for Transvaal odds teams against the English touring teams of 1888-9, 1891-2 and 1898-9. He was a member of the Transvaal team that beat Kimberley in April 1890, and in the first Currie Cup match played, and next season at Johannesburg, in the second of the series, he took seven wickets for 82 and six for 122. The match produced 1,402 runs, Kimberly beating Transvaal by 58 on the seventh day. He also played for Natal in the Currie Cup and continued club cricket for many years.

RITCHIE, CAPTAIN JAMES A., a fine player of many games, died during the summer of enteric fever in India. A fast bowler, he was among the best cricketers in Scotland, but earned chief fame as a Rugby football forward, playing against England, Ireland, and Wales, both in 1933, when Scotland won the Triple Crown, and in the following season. He also played water polo against these three countries.

ROBINSON, MR. EDWARD, who died on September 3 at Clifton, Bristol aged 79, played one match for Yorkshire in 1887, scoring 23. He settled in Bristol when married and was a familiar figure in Gloucestershire sporting circles.

SANDFORD, MR. TEMPLE CHARLES GABRIEL, known to Marlburians for over half a century, died on December 27 at Wykeham House, Marlborough, aged 65. Very good in all games, he excelled at cricket, and during more than thirty years as a house master he coached on the playing fields with advantage to everyone. In the cricket eleven for three seasons, he batted so well in 1895 that he headed the Marlborough averages with 43.2, showing such fine form that W. J. Ford, in Wisden, included him among the best school batsmen of the year. He played in Freshmen and Seniors matches at Oxford and might have got his Blue, but, in competition with many brilliant batsmen, he did not reach the necessary high standard; and his skill as a wicket-keeper was not quite equal to that of R. W. Fox, while he was overshadowed by H. Martyn, incomparable behind the stumps.

SIMMS, MR. HARRY LESTER, died on June 8, aged 54. For Sussex and Warwickshire he was a valuable player. When first playing he was a dashing, uncertain bat and moderate field, while his bowling was negligible, but after returning from a long stay in India he showed astonishing improvement, particularly as a bowler. He often batted admirably, fielded well, and at times his fastish bowling was deadly. In 1912 in all matches he scored 1,099 runs and took 110 wickets, being the only amateur, besides R. A. Faulkner of South Africa to achieve the double that season of the Triangular Tournament, when wet weather spoiled a lot of matches. That year Simms played twice for Gentlemen against Players. At the Oval he did little, but in a drawn match at Lord's he scored 22 and took seven wickets. He gave a remarkable display of hitting against Nottinghamshire at Hove, scoring 126, the fifth individual hundred in the match, in 85 minutes, and in the course of four overs getting 64 runs; there were ten 6's in his spectacular innings. After the last war he played occasionally for Warwickshire and regularly in Birmingham League Cricket. He played golf splendidly.

SMITH, B. C., for twenty years a member of the Northamptonshire team, helping to raise the county from second-class rank, died at Northampton, aged 83, on November 29. A wicket-keeper of considerable ability, he often caused trouble as a batsman late on the list. He played only two seasons in first-class cricket, 1905 and 1906, and next year became an umpire on the first-class list.

SMITH, MR. WILLIAM, who played for London County Club under W. G. Grace, and profited so much by his captain's coaching that in 1901 he averaged over 64, died in North Devon in April, aged 66. He won the match with M.C.C. at Lord's by four wickets with a splendid 61 not out, Walter Mead and Albert Trott being foremost in a powerful club attack. W. Smith scored 79 in the match without being dismissed. W. G. Grace in that engagement finished, in two days, took thirteen wickets for 110 runs--seven for 30 in the club's first innings. At Crystal Palace Smith made 143, highest score in a total of 578 against Cambridge University, who were beaten by an innings and 73 runs, Ranjitsinhji claiming six wickets for 53 in the Cambridge second innings and so contributing towards the defeat of his old University. W. Smith also played for Oxfordshire in the second class County Championship, and that season headed their averages with 43.80. He did not maintain anything like that form, but again headed the Oxfordshire averages with 36.16 in 1904.

SNELL, MR. HAROLD SAXON, died at Daventry on July 9, aged 64. He played well at Dean Close School, Cheltenham, and for Wiltshire for some years from 1897. Not notable in cricket at Cambridge, he got his Association football Blue in 1900 and played for Corinthians.

STEWART, DR. HALDANE CAMPBELL, an attractive batsman for Kent when finding time for county cricket, died on June 16, aged 74. From 1892 to 1903 he was always a welcome member of the side, and he scored 2,846 runs in first-class cricket with an average of 22.76. He was a fine fieldsman. At Lord's in 1897 he made 142 against M.C.C., and played for Gentlemen against Players at Hastings in 1897. In 1903 he went with the Kent team to America. A prolific scorer for Blackheath, he showed to special advantage in an innings of 203 not out against Granville, Lee. A noted musician, H. C. Stewart was at different times a master at Lancing, Wellington, and Tonbridge schools, and was organist of Magdalen College, Oxford, from 1919 to 1938.

STEWART, MR. JOB HERCULES, died at Capetown on September 12, aged 62. A sound batsman for Western Province in three Currie Cup tournaments shortly after the Boer War, his highest score was 61 against Border at Capetown in 1904.

STONE, JAMES, Hampshire wicket-keeper and first-class umpire, died at Maidenhead on November 15, aged nearly 64. First tried for Hampshire in 1900, he found a regular place in the county eleven as wicket-keeper in 1902, and did valuable service, both behind the stumps and as batsman, until 1914 when war broke out. In three seasons, 1911-1913, his record exceeded a thousand runs. He did specially well in 1912, and helped to beat the Australians by eight wickets, the first victory by Hampshire over an Australian team. Directly after this fine performance Yorkshire visited Southampton, and Stone enjoyed the most successful benefit of any Hampshire professional up to that time. He went in first and helped C. B. Fry add 109 for the third wicket, Yorkshire being hard pressed until Hirst and Haigh caused a second innings collapse. Short, but strongly built, Stone was a smart, unobtrusive wicket-keeper and a steady batsman. After leaving Hampshire he played for Glamorgan, and then acted as a first-class umpire from 1925 to 1934. Altogether in first-class cricket he scored over 10,000 runs with an average of 22.

SWANN-MASON, THE REV. R. S., O.B.E., who died on February 21, aged 70, was a member of the M.C.C., from 1907, and made a few appearances for the club in first-class cricket. Born at Cambridge, he went to Perse School before going to the University. In 1910 he scored 20 not out against Leicestershire at Lord's; four years later, against the University at Cambridge, 20 and 25, and he took many M.C.C. elevens to play against schools and clubs. Altogether in club cricket he scored seventy-five centuries, usually playing free cricket in admirable style. A chaplain in the Royal Navy during the last war, he was on H.M.S. Ocean when she was sunk. Afterwards vicar of Christ Church, Albany Street, London, he held that appointment until his death. At his funeral service Mr. Stanley Christopherson, President of M.C.C., read the lesson.

TAYLOR, BRIG.-GENERAL REYNELL HAMILTON BAYLAY, C.B., died on March 23, at Ryde, aged 83. After playing good cricket at Cheltenham and Sandhurst, military duties in India and war service prevented him taking up first-class cricket, but he was a member of M.C.C., and played for Yorkshire Gentlemen.

WARD, CAPTAIN THE HON. ROBERT ARTHUR, O.B.E., third son of the first Earl of Dudley, died at Rowley, Yorkshire, on June 14, aged 71. He played in the Eton XI mainly as a bowler, in 1888 and 1889; next year, when Master of the Beagles and President of the Eton Society, he won the mile race and steeplechase. He served with distinction in the South African and Great Wars and at one time was M.P. for the Crewe division of Cheshire.

WHITWELL, MR. WILLIAM FRY, died in April, aged 74. During four seasons in the Uppingham XI he was useful both with bat and ball. When captain in 1886, he went in first, and a year later he made 181 for Redcar against Middlesbrough in the Cleveland Cup final tie. Born at Saltburn-on-Sea, he played in ten matches for Yorkshire in 1890, scoring few runs but taking 25 wickets at 20.72 runs apiece. Most of his county cricket was for Durham, and his fast bowling often proved devastating. In a twelve-a-side match against I Zingari he took 16 wickets for Gentlemen of Durham; against Warwickshire in 1891 at Stockton-on-Tees his figures showed 12 wickets for 55 runs, and in 1895 at Sunderland eight Lincolnshire batsmen fell to him for 18 runs. In 1900 he took part in the Gentlemen and Players match at Scarborough. He toured America with Lord Hawke's team in 1894, and in the match against Philadelphia at Havenford his first innings analysis read four wickets for 14, and he headed the bowling averages for the tour with 18 at 6.12. Above medium height and strongly built, he put much energy into his attack and fielded with dash at cover-point or mid-off.

WILLIAMS, MR. C. H., a Vice-President and member of the Lancashire County Club General Committee, died during the summer.

WOMERSLEY, MR. DALE, who was in the Marlborough XI 1878 with A. G. Steel, and afterwards played for Essex, died in August, aged 82. Of medium height but strongly built, he batted well and fielded smartly--usually at cover-point.

WOOLF, MR. LOUIS SYDNEY, who played for Victoria against New South Wales in 1877, and lived to be the oldest representative of his State, died in August. For South Melbourne he was prominent in club cricket, and played also for his University. A barrister, he often appeared for The Bar against The Army--popular matches in Australia early this century.

YEARWOOD, THE HON. LAURIE, O.B.E., whose death early in the year was announced in The Cricketer, with an appreciation by W. J. Anderson, stood out on the administrative side of cricket in West Indies. Not until after the visit of the M.C.C. team in 1925-26 did West Indies have a representative governing body; Laurie Yearwood founded and was first president of the Board of Control which united cricket in all the widely spread islands. Captain of the Pickwick Club and wicket-keeper for Barbados before the last war, he was chairman in 1928 of the first official Selection Committee which chose touring teams. He actually discovered G. N. Francis, the fast bowler, whose obituary also appears in this issue of Wisden. Known as the G.O.M. of cricket in West Indies, he was a prominent merchant and member of the House of Assembly.

YOUNG, SIR ALFRED KARNEY, prominent in cricket at Rochester, who played for Kent once in 1887 and again in 1890, died at Cape Town, where he was a resident magistrate, on January 5, aged 76. A sound, steady batsman, he showed special skill in placing the ball off his legs and late cutting.

© John Wisden & Co