Obituaries in 1936

H. M. KING GEORGE V. died at Sandringham on January 20. As Duke of Cornwall, when Prince of Wales, His Majesty was ground landlord of Kennington Oval, and remained Patron of the Surrey club until his death. King George was also Patron of M.C.C., and the book Lord's and The M.C.C. by Lord Harris and F. S. Ashley Cooper, published in 1914, was dedicated by gracious permission to His Majesty.

He habitually visited Lord's when Colonial teams were playing against England, and on such occasions the match was invariably interrupted in order that all the players and umpires could be presented to His Majesty in front of the pavilion, an informal ceremony which the spectators watched with keen interest marked by expression of loyalty.

ABEL, ROBERT, the old Surrey and England cricketer, died at his home near Kennington Oval on December 10, in his eightieth year. A great favourite at the Oval, Bobby Abel, popularly known as The Guv'nor, began his career with Surrey in 1881, and played his last match for the county in 1904, failing eyesight causing him to drop out of the eleven earlier than otherwise he need have done. Born on November 30, 1857, he was 23 when first appearing for his county. Found in club cricket in Southwark Park, he took some time to accustom himself to new surroundings and his early efforts in first-class cricket gave no idea of the skill which he steadily attained. Very keen, he overcame the handicap of being short and, while maturing his form with the bat, he attracted attention by smart fielding, especially at slip.

In his third season with Surrey he advanced rapidly as a batsman and in 1886 against the Australians at the Oval he played a remarkable innings of 144. In 1888--one of the wettest summers ever experienced--he came out first among the professional batsmen of the year, scoring in first-class matches 1,323 runs with an average of 31. Thenceforward his successful career was interrupted only in 1893 when a serious infection of the eyes interfered with his play. If late in reaching his best, he was right at the top of the tree from 1895 to 1902, scoring over 2,000 runs in first-class matches in eight successive seasons. His highest aggregate of runs, 3,309, was obtained in 1901 and his average in these eight years of conspicuous ability ranged from 56 to 41. In 1903 his eyes troubled him again, and though playing in glasses helped him to some extent next year his first-class career then closed.

His highest innings was 357 not out against Somerset at the Oval in May, 1899; it remains a Surrey record and is second best for any County, A. C. MacLaren's 424, also off Somerset bowlers, at Taunton in 1895, still being unapproached. Besides this great score, Abel played eight innings of more than 200, and nine times in first-class matches he carried his bat through an innings. Among Surrey batsmen he ranks with Hobbs, Hayward, W. W.Read and Harry Jupp.

Extraordinarily successful in Gentlemen and Players matches at the Oval, he scored 168 not out in 1894, 195 in 1899, 153 not out in 1900, and 247 in 1901. This 247 was the biggest score ever obtained in a Gentlemen and Players match until 1925, when Hobbs made 266 at Scarborough. For Players against Gentlemen at Lord's, his highest score was 98 in a memorable match in 1900. Playing first for England against Australia in 1888, he took part in eight Test matches in this country, his best score being 94 at Lord's in 1896.

In the winter of 1887-88 when, owing to what may have been a misunderstanding between Sydney and Melbourne, but at the time was generally regarded as rivalry between the cricket authorities, two English teams visited Australia. Abel went with G. F. Vernon's side and scored 320 runs in eleven-a-side matches, average 24. He was not chosen when the two bands joined forces on the occasion when Peel and Lohmann disposed of Australia for totals of 42 and 82. Abel went to Australia again in 1891-92 when W. G. Grace captained Lord Sheffield's side, and he averaged 38 for the eleven-a-side games. At Sydney, in the second of the three Test matches, he accomplished the remarkable performance of carrying his bat through the first innings for 132 but Australia won the contest in which Alex Bannerman, who batted seven hours and a half for 91, received 204 balls from Attewell and scored off only five. Abel visited South Africa with Major Wharton's team in 1888-89 and scored 1,075, average 48--more than twice aggregate and average of any other member of the side.

A batsman of great resource and patience, he rarely if ever carried caution to an extreme and for a man of his small stature he was quite a punishing player. Once at the Oval he performed the rare feat of scoring a hundred runs between twelve o'clock and lunch-time. He and Brockwell enjoyed many big partnerships together for the Surrey first wicket, and against Hampshire at the Oval in August 1897, scored 379--a record for an opening stand at that time--265 against Warwickshire at the Oval in September, 1898, 231 against Sussex at the Oval in May, 1897 and 270 (unbroken) against Kent at the Oval in 1900. Other great first-wicket stands in which he shared were 364 with D. L. A. Jephson against Derbyshire at the Oval in 1900, 246 with Tom Hayward against Sussex at Hastings in 1902, and 226 with W. G. Grace for South against North at Scarborough in 1889. The biggest partnership of all in which he participated was one of 448 with Hayward for Surrey's fourth wicket against Yorkshire at the Oval in 1899, Abel scoring 193 and Hayward 273. This is the world's record for the fourth wicket.

Abel drove hard and cut well, but his special strength came in ability to get runs on the on-side. Very few batsmen have excelled him in scoring in front of short leg with brilliant and safe forcing strokes off his legs. Like many little men, he did not keep his bat perfectly straight, but accurate judgement of length of bowling and quickness on his feet compensated for this defect. A very sure field, notably at slip, Abel also bowled slow off breaks skillfully but was not often wanted in the very powerful Surrey attack. Quiet and unassuming in manner, Abel was never spoiled by success. After one of his great days at the Oval, hundreds of his admirers would gather in front of the pavilion and chant Bob, Bob, Bob, again and again until the Gov'nor bowed his acknowledgements.

BARLOW, MR. MICAH YATES, played for Harrow from 1890-92, being captain in his last year. He scored 58 and 13 in 1891 when Eton were beaten by 7 wickets but did little in the other matches, and at Oxford, though appearing in trial games, he failed to get his Blue. He died on January 13, aged 62.

BARMBY, MR. FRANCIS JAMES, who died suddenly at Oxford on September 30, aged 71, was in the Charterhouse eleven of 1882 and the Oxford University Association football eleven of 1886.

BELL, THE RIGHT HON. SIR FRANCIS HENRY DILLON, P.C., G.C.M.G., K.C., died at Wellington, New Zealand, on March 13, in his 85th year. Educated at Auckland and Otago before going to St. John's College, Cambridge, he returned to Wellington and was captain of the Lex Club. From 1894 until his death he was president of the Wellington Cricket Association, and became a life member of the New Zealand Cricket Council, of which he was an early president. A distinguished lawyer and politician in New Zealand, Sir Francis was Minister of Justice, Premier, and Leader of the Upper House. He represented the Dominion in Empire Conferences in London and Geneva. Born November 8, 1851.

BRICH, ALBERT EDWARD, who died on November 6, aged 68, made a solitary appearance for Kent against the M.C.C. at Lord's in 1894. A useful batsman and fast-medium right-hand bowler, he played for Formby in the Lancashire League when G. R. Bardswell, the Oxford Blue, was captain. He was born on August 11, 1858.

BONNER, MR. JOHN WARDELL, who died on November 26, played occasionally for Essex. He scored 59 in 1896 at Derby and altogether made 224 runs, average 16, in this, his first season with the County; but he could not give much time to first-class cricket.

BOSANQUET, MR. BERNARD JAMES TINDALL, died at his home in Surrey on October 12, the day before the 59th anniversary of his birth. A capable all-round cricketer at Eton and Oxford and also for Middlesex, Bosanquet enjoyed chief claim to fame as the acknowledged inventor of the googly. In the 1925 issue of Wisden there was reproduced an article from The Morning Post in which Bosanquet described all about the discovery of what he termed in the heading The Scapegoat of Cricket. He wrote, Poor old googly! It has been subjected to ridicule, abuse, contempt, incredulity, and survived them all. Deficiences existing at the present day are attributed to the influence of the googly. If the standard of bowling falls off it is because too many cricketers devote their time to trying to master it...... If batsmen display a marked inability to hit the ball on the off-side or anywhere in front of the wicket and stand in apologetic attitudes before the wicket, it is said that the googly has made it impossible for them to attempt the old aggressive attitude and make the scoring strokes.

But, after all, what is the googly? It is merely a ball with an ordinary break produced by an extra-ordinary method. It is not difficult to detect, and, once detected, there is no reason why it should not be treated as an ordinary break-back. However, it is not for me to defend it. If I appear too much in the role of the proud parent I ask forgiveness.

As to the birth of the googly, Bosanquet wrote: Somewhere about the year 1897 I was playing a game with a tennis ball, known as `Twisti-Twosti.' The object was to bounce the ball on a table so that your opponent sitting opposite could not catch it... After a little experimenting I managed to pitch the ball which broke in a certain direction; then with more or less the same delivery make the next ball go in the opposite direction! I practised the same thing with a soft ball at `Stump-cricket.' From this I progressed to the cricket ball...

I devoted a great deal of time to practisting the googly at the nets, occasionally in unimportant matches. The first public recognition we obtained was in July, 1900, for Middlesex v. Leicestershire at Lord's. An unfortunate individual (Coe, the left-hander) had made 98 when he was stumped off a fine specimen which bounced four times-- This small beginning marked the start of what came to be termed a revolution in bowling...

The googly (bowled by a right-hand bowler to a right-hand batsman) is nothing more or less that an ordinary off-break. The method of delivery is the secret of its difficulty, and this merely consisted in turning the wrist over at the moment of delivery far enough to alter the axis of spin, so that a ball which normally delivered would break from leg, breaks from the off.

A few incidents stand out vividly. The first time it was bowled against the Australians--at Lord's late one evening in 1902-- when I had two overs and saw two very puzzled Australians return to the pavilion. It rained all next day and not one of them tumbled to the fact that it was not an accident. The first googly ever bowled in Australia, in March 1903; Trumper batting, having made 40 in about twenty minutes. Two leg-breaks were played beautifully to cover, but the next ball (delivered with a silent prayer) pitching in the same place, saw the same graceful stroke played--and struck the middle stump instead of the bat! W. Gunn stumped when appreciably nearer my wicket than his own! Arthur Shrewsbury complaining that it wasn't fair. There are two or three bright patches I can recall. For instance in 1904 when in three consecutive matches I got five wickets in each innings v Yorkshire, six in each v. Nottinghamshire, and seven in each v. Sussex (including Fry and `Ranji').

There was one week in 1905 in which I had eleven wickets v. Sussex at Lord's (and got 100 in each innings; the double feat is still a record); and during the next three days in the first Test match at Nottingham I got eight out of nine wickets which fell in the second innings, the last man being out just before a thunderstorm broke--and even then if Trumper could have hobbled to the wicket it meant a draw! This recalls the fourth Test match at Sydney in March, 1904, in which at one period in the second innings I had six for 12, and then got Noble leg-before and never appealed. The last man was in, and the match won, and there were reasons!

There is a good story of Dick Lilley, the best wicket-keeper in a big match we have known. In the Gentlemen and Players match at the Oval in 1904 I got a few wickets in the second innings. Then one of the `Pros.' came in and said, `Dick's in next; he's calling us a lot of rabbits; says he can see every ball you bowl. Do try and get him and we'll rag his life out. Dick came in. I bowled him two overs of leg-breaks then changed my action and bowled another leg-break. Dick played it gracefully to fine leg and it removed his off stump! I can still hear the reception he got in the dressing room.

In that match Bosanquet took 8 wickets (6 in the second innings for 60 runs)and scored 145.

These performances, described personally, convey some idea of Bosanquet's ability but scarcely do justice to a splendid all-round cricketer. Quite six feet tall, Bosanquet brought the ball over from a great height so that flight as well as the uncertain break mystified batsmen until a whole side became demoralised. When playing a big innings, Bosanquet in fine upstanding style, put power into his drives and forcing strokes with apparently little effort.

Born on October 13, 1877, Bosanquet was sent to Eton and profited so much by coaching by Maurice Read and William Brockwell, the famous Surrey professionals, that he got his place in the eleven and against Harrow at Lord's in 1896, scored 120. In his second year at Oxford, 1898, he received his Blue from F. H. E. Cunliffe and played three times against Cambridge without doing anything exceptional. In those days he was a useful bowler, medium to fast, and gradually cultivated the leg-break.

Bosanquet played a lot for Middlesex from 1900 to 1908 and made a few appearances for the county subsequently, but did not bowl after 1908. His great year was 1904 when he made 1,405 runs, with an average of 36 and took 132 wickets for less than 22 runs apiece. Twice he put together two separate hundreds in the same match, 136 and 139 against Leicestershire at Lord's in 1900, and 103 and 100 not out against Sussex at Lord's in 1905. This was the match in which he took eleven wickets.

Among his bowling feats besides those in Test matches were:--15 wickets for 65 runs, including nine wickets in one innings, for Oxford against Sussex at Oxford in 1900; 14 wickets for 190 runs for Middlesex against Sussex at Brighton in 1904, and nine wickets in one innings for the M.C.C. against South Africans at Lord's in 1904.

Bosanquet took part in six different tours, going to America with P. F. Warner's team in 1898, and with K. S. Ranjitsinhji's team in 1899; to New Zealand and Australia with Lord Hawke's team in 1902-03; to Australia with the M.C.C team in 1903-04. He captained sides that went to America in 1901 and to the West Indies in 1901-02.

In addition to cricket he represented Oxford University at Hammer Throwing in 1899 and 1900, and at Billiards in 1898 and 1900.

BRIGGS, CANON RAWDON, died on August 21, aged 83. Born on December 30, 1854 at Workworth, Northumberland, he was in the Winchester eleven of 1871 and 1872, and got his blue at Oxford in 1875. In the following year he made 41--the best score in Oxford's first innings--and 32. He is described as a fine free hitter; in the field he is generally long-stop.

BROWN, MR. COLIN E., who died at Whitby on June 25, aged 58, played for Somerset, his best score for the county being 53 in 1905.

CATTON, MR. JAMES A. H., the well-known cricket and football journalist, died on August 21, aged 76. When beginning his career on the Nottingham Guardian, Sir James M. Barrie was a colleague. Catton's close association with the sporting side of newspaper work started in Lancashire and as Editor of the Athletic News he became famous for his writings under the name of Tityrus. Always looking for the best that happened, he was absolutely fair if caustic in his criticism and Jimmy Catton wrote with easy clearness that made his descriptions of cricket and football delightful to read. Under his control the Athletic News was for many years the leading authority on Association Football and in the summer Catton's reports of matches and articles on cricket never failed to interest the reader. Season after season he travelled all over the country with the Lancashire eleven and when he retired from the Editorship every County Cricket Club and Football League Club subscribed to a testimonial. After leaving Manchester, Mr. Catton contributed to many papers, including the Evening Standard and Observer, until shortly before he passed away from the effects of long-standing heart trouble.

When Mr. F. S. Ashley-Cooper died early in 1932, Mr. Catton undertook the onerous duty of keeping the records in Wisden up to date and his desire to complete this work for the present issue was one of his last cares. A regular attendant at Test matches almost from the time that the Australians first came to England, he was steeped in cricket lore. An indefatigable worker, he kept a file of the doings of every player and in this way built up a remarkable memory which made him a walking encyclopædia of cricket and football. At the time of his death he was President of the 25 Club--restricted to Journalists who have reported at least 25 Test matches between England, Australia, and South Africa.

An ardent Freemason in recent year, Mr. Catton was a Past Master of the Alfred Robbins Lodge.

CAULFIELD, MR. FRANK, was killed in a motor accident at Bloemfontein on May 22, aged 42. He played for Orange Free State in 1925-26, and against Western Province scored 56 not out, assisting L. R. Tuckett (70) to make a South African last wicket record partnership of 129.

CHURCHILL, REV. WILLIAN HENRY, a noted athlete in the seventies, died in London on September 8, aged 81. He was the Marlborough eleven of 1872 and for Cambridge he won the quarter mile race against Oxford at Lillie Bridge in 1877 and 1878. He played forward in the Cambridge Association eleven of 1878, when Oxford were beaten by 5 goals to 1 at Kennington Oval.

COLLISHAW, WILLIAM FREDERICK, an old Warwickshire professional, died on February 1. Born on October 2, 1860, at Hickling in Nottinghamshire, he played for Warwickshire from 1885 to 1892--three years before the county took part in the championship. A steady batsman, he hit hard and was a useful medium-paced high delivery bowler. His highest innings, 145, in May, 1888 against Leicestershire, was the first hundred hit on the Edgbaston ground. He made a memorable first appearance at Lord's on August 24, 1885, when, going in first wicket down for Edgbaston against M. C. C. and Ground, he scored 77 and 39, being not out at the close of each innings--so he batted while 18 wickets fell.

CROSBY, MR. HUGH STOWELL, played in the Sherborne school eleven for three years, being Captain in 1879. F. E. Lacey, so well known as Secretary of M.C.C., carried his bat for 37 in a total of 50 at Clifton in the 1877 match. Crosby played for Durham County. Born near Stockton-on-Tees on December 20, 1859, he died on July 23, aged 76. He was a free batsman and slow bowler.

DARTMOUTH, SIXTH EARL OF, died on March 11, aged 84. As Viscount Lewisham he played cricket with much enthusiasm, but did not succeed in getting into either the Eton or Oxford Eleven. He often took part in M.C.C. matches, and captained the House of Commons eleven. Closely connected with Kent cricket he was President of the County Club in 1888. Five years later he became M.C.C. President and was trustee of the club. He was Governor of I. Zingari and for forty years President of the Staffordshire County Club. Born on May 6, 1851.

DIXON, MR. THOMAS W., who died at Darlington on November 19, kept wicket for Durham County from 1883 to 1892.

DOLBEY, MR. HUGH OWEN, was in the Dulwich College eleven in 1897-98 and played once for Surrey before going to British East Africa, where he was a District Judge. Standing six feet two inches in height, he bowled fast. Born on November 27, 1879, he died on July 14.

DOLLING, DR. C. E., died at Adelaide on June 11, aged 49, having been born on September 4, 1886. He played a good deal for South Australia, scoring 1,168 runs for the State with an average of 37.67 and 113 as his highest innings in Sheffield Shield matches. A sound judge of a cricketer he was on the committee who chose the Australian team for the 1934 tour in England.

DOWSON, MR. JOSEPH, who died at Sunderland on May 15, aged 73, played for Durham County between 1886 and 1896.

EVETTS, MR. WILLIAM, who died on April 6 at the age of 88, was the last survivor of the Harrow Eleven of 1865. Standing six feet tall he was a free hitter and a brilliant fieldsman. A very sure catch, he was concerned in a strange coincidence. In the 1864 match with Eton at Lord's he caught W. B. Barrington at long leg; Harrow won in a single innings. Precisely the same ending came to the 1865 match, Evetts at long leg again catching Barrington the last Eton batsman, and the Light Blues being beaten by an innings. Barrington became the Ninth Viscount Barrington and until his death in 1933 he and Evetts were the sole survivors of those taking part in those two games. In the Harrow eleven were W. B. Money, a very famous lob bowler, and A. N. Hornby who for many years led Lancashire and captained England at the Oval in 1882 when Australia won by 7 runs. When playing for Oxford against Cambridge Evetts was twice on the losing side, but he scored 102 in an hour and fifty minutes against Surrey at the Oval in 1868 and during that season made three other centuries in matches of less importance. He was in the Brasenose College Sixteen who, in 1871, beat the All-England eleven captained by George Parr. The match aroused very great interest. Mr. Evetts was born on June 30, 1847, at Tackley Park, near Thame in Oxfordshire and he died there. Mr. A. C. Bartholomew is now the only survivor of the 1868 Oxford Eleven.

FOLEY, LIEUT. COL., CYRIL PELHAM, born on November 1, 1868, died on March 9, aged 67. He enjoyed the very special distinction of being in the Eton elevens of 1886-87 when both matches with Winchester and Harrow were won, and then helping Cambridge beat Oxford three times-- 1889 to 1891. Patient and sound in defence he scored freely to the off side. Usually going in first he seldom failed. Against Harrow in 1886 he made 114 and 36. His scores next year were 37 and 8 while against Winchester he played innings of 38 and 23 and 23 and 7. For Cambridge he was equally consistent with 22, 26 and 1 not out, 12 and 41.

He appeared for Worcestershire in 1888, played for Middlesex from 1893 till 1906, and in the winter of 1904-5 toured the West Indies as a member of Lord Brackley's team. At Lord's in 1893 he was the centre of an unusual incident. In the match between Middlesex and Sussex he picked up a bail which had fallen and, on appeal, Henty, the umpire, gave him out; but, at the request of W. L. Murdoch, the Sussex captain, Mr. Foley continued his innings. As a soldier, he had much experience abroad and his exploits in the Jameson raid of 1895 earned for him the nickname of The Raider.

He served with distinction in the Boer war and came home in temporary command of the 3rd Royal Scots. During the European War he commanded the 9th East Lancashire Regiment.

FORREST, MR. ARTHUR JAMES, died at Thorp Arch on July 13, aged 77. He captained the Cheltenham eleven in 1878-79. A noted Rugby Football player he captained Yorkshire in 1882 and was seven times in the Ireland fifteen, his club being Dublin Wanderers.

FORSTER, LORD, OF LEPE, P.C., G.C.M.G., died on January 15, when nearly 70 years of age. During three years in the Eton eleven H. W. Forster did not meet with much success in the important school matches but he scored, in irreproachable style, mainly by off-drives and cuts, 60 not out for Oxford against Cambridge in 1887. Essentially a fast wicket batsman he often got out disappointingly after rain, but on true turf he showed most attractive stroke play. He was a member of the Hampshire eleven for several seasons until 1895, mostly under F. E. Lacey. In 1919, before being raised to the Peerage, he became President of M.C.C., his former Hampshire Captain then being Secretary at Lord's. As Governor-General of Australia, Lord Forster took special interest in cricket in the commonwealth and entertained the M.C.C. touring teams. In 1925, during the third Test match at Adelaide, when Arthur Gilligan's team lost the rubber, he unveiled a portrait of George Giffen, who came to England in 1882, helped Australia to victory by seven runs in The Ashes match, and paid several other visits. Lord Forster, who was born on January 31, 1866, stood over six feet high and, with powerful physique, had a commanding figure. A strong right-handed batsman, a slow left-hand bowler and a splendid field at mid-off, he was a very useful all-round cricketer.

FRERE, MR. LIONEL ROBERT TEMPLE, was in the Haileybury eleven of 1889. He played for Cambridgeshire in 1892 and also for Norfolk. He died on March 15, aged 66.

FULLER, MR. DONALD McCORMICK, who died on May 10 aged 65, played in Wellington representative cricket and was one of the best batsmen in New Zealand some forty years ago.

GAUKRODGER, MR. J., who died in Brooklyn on May 17, aged 72, was born in Leeds. A very useful bat, he became a prominent member of the Brooklyn club, being Captain, Secretary, Treasurer and President, which office he held at his death. He also was President of the Metropolitan District Cricket League, New York Cricket Association, and Metropolitan and New Jersey Cricket Association, at different times.

GOWANS, LT.-COL. JAMES, D.S.O. of the Harrow eleven in 1888 and the following season died in South Africa on April 27, aged 64, having been born on April 23, 1872. A useful batsman and wicket-keeper, he came into the Harrow eleven at the last moment. Scoring 13 not out and making three catches in each Eton innings he helped in a victory by nine wickets, but the 1889 match was drawn. He failed to get his cricket blue but played in the Cambridge Rugby fifteen, 1892-93, and eight times for Scotland.

GRIMSDALE, MR. THOMAS BABINGTON, who died on March 11 in his eightieth year, was in the Uppingham eleven of 1874.

GRYLLS, MR. HORACE BERE, who died suddenly on March 1, aged 55, was in the Rugby eleven 1889-99. He rowed in the Cambridge boat, 1901-03.

HARRISON, MR. W. P., who died on April 25, aged 79 was for many years Treasurer of the Middlesex County Club. A useful cricketer at Clifton College he played a lot for M.C.C. and was closely connected with the Hornsey Club.

HERBERT, DR. ARCHIBALD KENNETH CECIL, who died at Brooklyn, New York, on April 27, aged 55, was a good left handed bat for Crescent Athletic Hamilton Club. In 1934 the final Championship match was umpired by two doctors--Dr. Herbert and Dr. Sinson. Dr. Herbert was educated at Sherewsbury School and University.

HITCHON, DR. H. H. I., President of the Lancashire County club in 1934-35, died at Heywood on August 18.

KEMP, SIR KENNETH HAGAR, TWELFTH BARONET OF GISSING, died at Sheringham on April 22, aged 83. Born on April 21, 1853, at Erpingham, Norfolk, he went to the Clergy Orphan School, Canterbury, where he was coached by Fuller Pilch, and in 1866 received a bat inscribed with Fuller Pilch's Love. Although scoring 52 in the Cambridge Freshmen's match of 1872 and next season making 50 and 20 for Next Sixteen, besides 14 and 25 for M.C.C. against the University, he did not get his Blue. He captained Sandhurst against Woolwich at Lord's in 1876,and scored 49. He played for Norfolk from 1877 to 1884 and was Hon. Secretary of the County Club for some years until 1889.

LANCASTER, MR. ARTHUR JAMES, Secretary of the Kent County Cricket Club until the end of 1935, died on November 16. Succeeding his father as Secretary of the Kent County Club in 1885 he remained in office 50 years before retiring. He saw many changes in Kent cricket, notably on the St. Lawrence ground, where in recent years a new pavilion and large concrete stands were built, but the scene of the first cricket festival remains unique among cricket grounds with a great elm tree some 30 yards inside the playing arena. Mr. Lancaster acted as Chairman of the Fixtures Sub-committee. In his young days he played for the St. Lawrence club and for a few years was their honorary secretary. Born on April 25, 1859, he was 77 years old.

LEAF, MR. HERBERT, died on February 13, aged 81. He played for three years in the Harrow eleven and under his captaincy, the Lord's match in 1873 was won by five wickets after four consecutive victories by Eton. Herbert Leaf failed to get his Blue at Cambridge, but played a little for Surrey. Below middle height, he was a sound batsman and a smart fieldsman usually at cover point and long leg. He represented Cambridge against Oxford at Tennis and become a noted player. From 1877 he was a master at Marlborough and rejoined the College staff during the war.

MASON, MR. FREDERICK RICHARD, died on May 11, aged 54, at Auckland, NewZealand,. A free bat and excellent fieldsman, either at cover point or in the country, he played for North Island and New Zealand. Against P. F. Warner's M.C.C. team in December, 1902, he made the top score 26 in one innings, for Auckland. One of his best performances was 79 against Cotter, Noble, Armstrong, Hopkins and McLeod, who were in the Australian visiting team of 1905.

MORE, MR. RICHARD EDWARDES, of the Egyptian Civil Service, who died at Cairo on November 24, was a good all-round cricketer. He captained the Westminister school eleven and at Oxford received his blue from R. E. Foster in 1900. In the match at Lord's against Cambridge, More scored 20 not out towards the total of 503, which remains a record for the University engagement. A year later, More, with 76, helped Oxford to gain a small first innings lead, and, opening the bowling, he took three wickets in each Cambridge innings.

He then began playing for Middlesex and made 101 not out against Sussex at Hove, his brilliant display staving off defeat. During the 1901 season he scored 830 runs, with an average of 24.41, including 133 for Oxford against Surrey, and he took 67 wickets at 30.59 runs each. In the following autumn he toured Canada and America with B. J. T. Bosanquet's team and, bowling consistently well, headed the averages with 43 wickets at a cost of 11.20 runs each. His best season with Middlesex was 1904, when he scored 120 not out against Yorkshire at Sheffield. Going in last but one he helped B. J. T. Bosanquet put on 128 in 48 minutes. In all More got his runs out of 219 in 100 minutes, and the Middlesex total, 488, occupied no more than four hours and a half. Altogether for the County More scored 1,010 runs in 56 innings with an average of 21.04 and took 55 wickets at 30.96 each. An unreliable batsman, More hit brilliantly in front of the wicket when set and was a better medium-paced bowler than his figures suggest.

He captained the Westminster school football eleven, but did not get his football blue at Oxford.

MORRISON, MR. PERCY HENDERSON, was in the Loretto eleven 1884-1887, and played for Caius college, Cambridge, where he got his Rugby football blue, playing in the fifteen, 1887-90. He appeared for Northumberland, and for England four times, 1890-91. Born on July 30, 1868, he died at Newcastle-on-Tyne, aged 68.

NEEDHAM, ERNEST, did not play first-class cricket until 28 years of age, but Derbyshire might have tried him earlier with advantage. His first innings for the county was 57 against the South Africans in 1901, and three years later he got his first century (131) against Hampshire at Derby. He showed rather in and out form until enjoying his most successful season in 1908, when he scored 1,122 in Championship matches with an average of 28.76--by far the best record for the county--and he made three of the five individual hundreds hit for Derbyshire that summer. Strangely enough his three big innings were played against Essex. He scored 104 and 37 in the home match, and victory was gained by seven wickets, but at Leyton where a month later, he hit up two separate hundreds, Essex won by six wickets. Needham carried his bat through the first innings of 195, his share being 107 and he was at the crease nearly as long--three hours and a quarter--while scoring 104 of the second total 255. A left-handed bat with sound defence if not very graceful in style, Needham drove and cut well and was a very, useful member of the Derbyshire eleven until 1912. He earned the highest honours at Association football with Sheffield United as a half back. He played sixteen times for England and took part in three final ties for the Association Cup. Twice he was on the winning side and in 1902, when Southampton were beaten after a drawn game, his opponents included C. B. Fry. Born on January 21, 1873, Needham died after an operation in Chesterfield Hospital on March 7, aged 63.

NORTHWAY, MR. REGINALD PHILIP, aged 27, was killed in a motor car accident when travelling with Bakewell, his Northamptonshire colleague, after the match with Derbyshire at Chesterfield, on August 25. It was the last engagement on their county's programme and the victims of the accident were Northamptonshire's opening batsmen. Bakewell, who scored 241 not out in the second innings, received serious injuries from which he made a remarkable recovery; Northway was found dead in a ditch by the roadside, near Kibworth, Leicestershire. A good, steady bat, Northway also excelled as a fieldsman in the country. This was his first season with Northamptonshire. Previously he assisted Somerset.

PAGE, MR. DALLAS ALEXANDER CHANCELLOR, Captain of Gloucestershire, died in Cirencester Hospital on September 2 as the result of injuries received in a motor accident, which occurred when he was returning to his home, after leading his county to victory in an innings over Nottinghamshire, at Gloucester, on the last day of the County Championship season. He finished the match by catching Wheat. Born on April 11, 1911, Mr. Page was in the Cheltenham eleven of 1928-29, and in Rugby football gained distinction as a stand-off half. He played first for Gloucestershire in 1933 and two years later he scored 1,059 runs when taking over the duties of leadership from B. H. Lyon. Last summer, the second year of his captaincy, he proved most astute in directing his eleven, and scored in all matches 826 runs for an average of 18.35. Against Kent at Gloucester in May he hit 116--the only three-figure score of his career. Son of H. V. Page, the Cheltenham and Gloucestershire cricketer who played for Oxford University between 1883 and 1886 and was captain for the last two years of that period, he saw Gloucestershire rise from fifteenth to fourth position in the Championship. A hard-hitting batsman who drove particularly well, he looked most convincing when attacking the bowling. He fielded brilliantly, usually at cover point. His tragic end at the age of 25 came as a shock to all cricketers with whom he was very popular.

PARKINSON, SIR LINDSAY, Kt., died at Blackpool on February 3, within three weeks of his 66th birthday. From 1890 he played cricket for his native town and joined his brother in giving the cricket ground, with pavilion, on which Lancashire play county matches. He was president of the Blackpool Cricket Club and chairman of the Blackpool Football Club. A very good Association player for Blackpool, then known as South Shore, and Blackburn Rovers, he was approached by several League clubs, including Aston Villa, to sign as a professional. He became Mayor of Blackpool, Member of Parliament for the Borough and head of the firm of Government Contractors bearing his name.

PEARCE, MR. HENRY GEORGE, who died on March 27 in Philadelphia, was a good fast bowler and useful batsman. He toured West Indies in 1909 and four years later for Gentlemen of Philadelphia took 7 Australian wickets for 57 runs, among his victims being E. R. Mayne and H. L. Collins. In 1914 he visited England with the Merion club, and besides taking 35 wickets at 10 runs apiece he played a not-out innings of 92. He was an honorary life member of Incogniti, against whom in 1920, he dismissed D. R. Jardin, G. O. Shelmerdine and J. S. F. Morrison at the small cost of 13 runs. Born on April 21, 1886, he was nearly 50 years of age.

POOLE, MR. JOHN LAWRENCE, of the Staten Island Club, died on April 25, at Rye, New York, aged 72. A fast bowler and very smart fieldsman he was a useful batsman when runs were wanted. He played for United States against Canada and in other international matches. He excelled as a bowler for his club from 1891 to 1896.

PULMAN, REV. WILLIAM WALKER, died in August in his 84th year, having been born on November 14, 1852, at Wellington, Somerset. After being in the Marlborough eleven he was twice in the victorious Oxford side against Cambridge. In 1874 Oxford won by an innings and 92; next year Pulman made 25 and 30 in a moderate scoring match, and, with a splendid catch in the long field, contributed further to victory by six runs. For St. John's College against Christ Church in 1874 he played an innings of 249--an exceptionally high score in those days. He was a free hitting batsman with sound style and could field with distinction anywhere.

RAVEN, MR. R. O., who died on April 4, aged 51, showed great promise as a batsman at Wellingborough Grammar School, but did not fulfil expectations. His best season for Northamptonshire was 1920 when captain, his average being 18.68. He also led the County eleven in 1921.

RICHARDS, THE RIGHT REV. DR. ISAAC, died at Christchurch, New Zealand, on May 10, aged 77. Born in Lincolnshire in 1859, he was educated at Taunton and Oxford where he was captain of the Exeter College Cricket Eleven. Going to Auckland he played for the local club and Dunedin; also in representative matches against touring sides. He was a sound batsman and reliable wicket-keeper. Curate at St. Paul's Truro, before going to New Zealand, he became Anglican Bishop of Dunedin, an office he held for fourteen years.

ROBERTS, FREDERICK G., the fast left-hand bowler, died in Bristol on April 7, aged 74. Born on April 1, 1862, Fred Roberts was a member of the Glousestershire eleven from 1887 to 1903. In the course of 250 matches for the county he took 940 wickets for just over 21 runs apiece. In 1901 he dismissed 118 batsmen at an average of under 23 runs, and two years later when he really finished his active career, he at times showed his best form, 79 batsmen falling to him at a cost of less than 16 runs each. He made one appearance in 1905.

Roberts accomplished many notable performances but did nothing better than on his first appearance for the county at Dewsbury, where he took 7 wickets in each Yorkshire innings for an aggregate of 171 runs. It was then written of him that he was able to get a lot of work on the ball both ways. He bowled 138 overs in the match, which Yorkshire won by 70 runs within ten minutes of time, thanks to Wade, who, after rain had made the pitch treacherous, took 6 wickets for 18 runs. In 1891 at Brighton, Roberts took 12 Sussex wickets for 59 runs, 7 for 16 in the second innings. Twelve years later at Bristol, he and Dennett, slow left-hand, bowled throughout both Surrey's innings, Roberts claiming 11 wickets for 93 runs and being largely responsible for a fine victory by 18 runs.

G. L. Jessop has described how Roberts made the ball swerve and it is a noteworthy fact that this fast left-handed bowler played for ten seasons before a batsman was given out leg-before to him.

Although possessing little skill as a batsman, Roberts often proved very useful by keeping up his end in case of emergency. In 1897 at Bristol, when 9 Gloucestershire wickets had fallen for 63 runs before the Lancashire attack, he helped F. H. B. Champain put on 74 and he was not out 7 when the Oxford blue was caught for 97. Six years later, also at Ashley Down, Roberts stayed while W. S. A. Brown hit the Sussex bowlers so freely that 104 runs came before the amateur was out for 155. Roberts had 11 for his share of the runs added by this stand.

Appointed a first-class umpire in 1906, Roberts stood regularly in county cricket matches until the end of the 1914 season. Following the long stoppage of county cricket by the War, Roberts officiated again in 1919, but then his active career on the field closed.

ROYLE, MR. JOHN SANDERSON, who died on June 22, aged 48, was the second son of the late Rev. Vernon Royle--still spoken of as the best of cover points. He played for Harrow against Eton in 1906 and 1907, and afterwards with the Liverpool club, for whom he scored heavily. When set he hit very hard and was a fine field.

RUSHTON, MR. JAMES LEVER, who died on March 8 at Garstang, was in the Rugby eleven of 1891.

SHARPE, JOHN WILLIAM, the old Surrey and Nottinghamshire fast-medium right-hand bowler, died on June 19 at Ruddington, the place of his birth, aged 69. His father, Samuel Sharpe, played for Nottinghamshire and John Sharpe received trials for the Colts against the county at Trent Bridge. On one occasion, he took four wickets for five runs, but there was not room for him in the very powerful Nottinghamshire eleven of those days and so Sharpe qualified at Kennington Oval. Playing for Surrey from 1889 to 1893, he took 462 wickets at 13.81, runs each in all matches for the county. His best year was 1890, when altogether 179 wickets fell before him at just over 12 runs apiece. Next season in the match with Middlesex at the Oval, he dismissed 9 men for 47 in the first innings and five for 50 in the second. Against Lancashire at Old Trafford in 1890 and next year against Somerset at the Oval, he and Lohmann bowled unchanged through both innings. In 1890 he played for England against Australia at the Oval, and in the autumn of 1891 he went to Australia with the team organised by Lord Sheffield. Sharpe bowled specially well on hard pitches and could make the ball break from the off to a remarkable degree for a man of such pace; his extra fast yorker was deadly. Although handicapped by the loss of his right eye, Sharpe was a smart field and often proved a useful batsman, notably on his first appearance for Surrey, when he helped George Lohmann put on 149 runs for the last wicket against Essex. Later in the season he and Beaumont, going in number eleven, made 118 together. After returning from Australia Sharpe lost his form and, though he appeared for Nottinghamshire in 1894, his first-class career practically ceased when he left Surrey. At that time, Surrey were exceptionally strong; from 1887 to 1895, they only once fell from first place in the County Championship.

SIMPSON-HAYWARD, MR. G. H., who died on October 2, aged 61, was one of the last underhand bowlers in first-class cricket. He seldom flighted the ball like the ordinary lob bowler and did not often use spin from leg. In fact he was quite unusual with the speed at which he could make the ball, delivered with low trajectory, break from the off. Going from Malvern to Cambridge, he did not get his blue and not until 1902 did he play much for Worcestershire. He met with most success in 1908 when 68 wickets fell to him at an average cost of 18.61. Also a very useful forcing batsman, he hit up 105 out of 140 in eighty minutes against the University at Oxford and then took six wickets for 13 runs. He played for the Gentlemen at Lord's that summer without emulating the success of D. L. A. Jephson, who with his lobs in 1899 dismissd six of the Players for 21. One big performance in the best class cricket stands to Simpson-Hayward's name. Going to South Africa with Mr. H. D. G. Leveson Gower's team in 1909, he took 23 wickets at 18.26 runs each in the five Tests, and in the first at Johannesburg his first innings analysis was 6 for 43. The matting wickets just suited his exceptional power of spinning the ball. His all-round ability stood out against the Australians at Worcester in 1909, When he was highest scorer for the county with 51, and took six wickets for 132 in a total of 389. A very good Association football full back, before adding Hayward to his name, he played against Oxford from 1896-1898.

SMITH, MR. ARTHUR FREDERICK, died on January 18. Born on May 13, 1853, he went to Harrow and Wellington schools and played for Middlesex before getting his blue at Cambridge in 1875. He appeared occasionally for the county until 1877. A useful batsman, he was a fine field, usually at long leg. A good athlete before going to South Africa, he helped to form the Kimberley Golf Club. He retired from De Beers Company about ten years ago.

SNAITH, MR. JOHN COLLIS, best known as author of Willow the King, and many novels, died at Hampstead on December 8. An all-round cricketer of considerable ability, he played twice for Nottinghamshire in 1900, scoring 21 at Lord's against M.C.C. and 18 at Trent Bridge against West Indies. He took 4 wickets in the two innings of West Indies, among his victims being C. A. Ollivierre, a remarkable batsman. For Authors against the Rev. E. Stogden's Eleven at Elstree in 1902 Snaith took all ten wickets for 32 runs, and in 1914 he made 156 not out for Skegness against Cossall Colliery; he and Clarke, also a Nottinghamshire man, the club professional, added 340 runs for the second wicket. Snaith played for Notts Amateurs and often appeared in the County second eleven.

SPICER, MR. NORMAN, of the Leys School eleven, played in 1901 for Cambridge University without getting his cricket Blue, but he was in the Rugby fifteen 1901-02. He also played Lacrosse and represented Cambridge in the Athletic Sports against Oxford, besides playing Rugby for Kent. He died suddenly in London on September 1, aged 57.

STANCOMB, MR. FREDERICK WILLIAM, died on August 27, aged nearly 75. He was in the Harrow eleven of 1878-79 and two years later played his first match for Wiltshire. Captain of the Eleven from 1888-91 he became Chairman and President of the County club for whom he appeared as recently as 1923, when 61, having been born at Trowbridge on September 19, 1861. He captained the Trowbridge cricket club for fifty years and, succeeding Lord Long, he remained President until his death. Such love did he retain for Harrow that he always wore the School Eleven cap when at the wicket. A free, stylish batsman, he also played for M.C.C., Lansdown and Wiltshire Wanderers, and often figured conspicuously in Country House cricket. He is said to have scored some 32,000 runs in good-class cricket with an average of about 25. He bowled medium pace, was a smart fieldsman at point or cover and late in his long career kept wicket. An all-round sportsman Mr. Stancomb captained the Wiltshire County Association football eleven for several years.

STEPHENSON, REV. THOMAS WILKINSON, played for Carlisle, Yorkshire Gentlemen, and Cumberland. He died at Addingham Vicarage, Penrith, on February 11. He was Honorary Canon of Carlisle Cathedral.

TALBOT, MR. BERTRAM, who died on May 5 at Monteviot, Rosburghshire, aged 71, was in the Winchester eleven of 1884.

TAYLOR, MR. FRANK, died on August 16, aged 81. Born at Rochdale on May 4, 1855, he played for Clifton College, scoring 98 not out against Cheltenham in 1872 and 60 in the same engagement next season, when he made 33 not out against M.C.C. at Lord's, the game being left drawn when Clifton wanted 12 runs for victory with three wickets in hand. For Gloucestershire that season he scored 41 runs in three matches and then played county cricket for Lancashire, his total runs for 74 innings being 1,326, average nearly 20. Six feet two inches in height, he was a free hitter with good style and a smart fieldsman, usually at long slip and long on.

TERRY, REV. FRANCIS W., who was born at Wells, Somerset, in 1863, died at Mimico, Ontario, on October 5. In 1882 at Taunton, he scored 22 and 77 not out for Somerset against M.C.C. He played in the Oxford Freshmen's match in 1881, and for Merton College made many centuries but failed to get his blue. Going to Canada, he played several time against United States and in 1895 scored 111 in the representative match. During 1892, he scored 1,509 runs in all matches which stood as a Canadian record until 1935. He accomplished an extraordinary performance at London, Ontario, on July 4, 1895, when playing for Ontario Hospital against Forest Club, he scored 130 not out in a total of 149. There were six extras, one score of eight, nine men making five runs between them. Mr. Terry hit twenty-seven 4's in this wonderful display. He also took two wickets for 18 runs, with his right hand medium pace bowling, stumped one man and caught another--altogether enjoying a large share in a victory by an innings and 45 runs. Mr. George W. Harvey, the scorer in this match, supplied these details.

THAYER, MR. HARRY CHAPMAN, who died at Haverford on August 3, aged 63, was one of five brothers who played in the Merion Club first eleven. Between 1882 and 1917, he scored 5,500 for the club, with an average of 21. He appeared against several touring teams and in 1897, by scoring 35 and 44, he helped materially in beating P. F. Warner's side by six wickets. He played for United States against Canada, visited Bermuda, and in 1897 came to England with the Gentelmen of Philadelphia, his highest innings being 59 at the Oval against the full strength of Surrey. A famous college football player, he was full-back in the All America team of 1892.

THEOPHILUS, MR. DUDLEY ARTHUR, died at Mowbray, Cape Colony, on May 12, his 25th birthday. A fine wicket-keeper, he first appeared for Eastern Province in March, 1927, when 15 years of age and still at Grey High School, Port Elizabeth. He did not give away a bye in an innings of 317. He played regularly until 1934.

TREMLIN, BERT, who died on April 12, aged 58, played for Essex from 1900 until 1919 before retiring. He was then a useful coach and in 1923 and 1924, was on the list of first-class umpires. A medium paced right-hand bowler, he had to wait for vacancies in the Essex eleven, which included P. A. Perrin, C. McGahey, J. W. H. T. Douglas, Buckenham, and Walter Mead, but he became a regular member of the side in 1905. Tremlin then in all matches took 99 wickets at 27.16 apiece, but not until 1914, when 36, did he show to most advantage with 101 wickets at 26 runs each, and an aggregate of 416 runs--average nearly 21. Then the War intervened.

VIRET, MR. JULES, who died on February 20 in Brooklyn, played for British Guiana where he was born and also for the Georgetown club before going to United States. Joining the Brooklyn club, he headed the bowling averages in the New York, New Jersey and Metropolitan District Cricket Association in 1934. He was a good left-handed bat and bowler.

WARD, MR. THOMAS ALFRED, the South African wicket-keeper, was accidentally electrocuted when working at the West Springs Gold Mine on February 16. He came to England in 1912 and 1924 and if not so brilliant as Halliwell and Sherwell, who preceded him, or Cameron, he maintained a high standard of excellence. During that period he kept wicket in 23 Test matches, the first being at Old Trafford against Australia in the triangular tournament, and was thoroughly reliable. A dogged batsman with strong defence, he scored in Test cricket 459 runs with an average of 13.90. Going in first, he made 64 at Johannesburg in February, 1923, against the England side captained by F. T. Mann, and in 1924 at Old Trafford he again opened the innings well by scoring 50. When the Australian Imperial Forces team visited South Africa on the way home in 1919 Ward scored 62 not out at Johannesburg in the first of two representative games. He was in the Transvaal eleven from 1909 to 1927, and in all first class matches scored 1,651 runs with an average of 15.43. Born on August 2, 1887 he died in his 49th year.

WRIGHT, MR. CHARLES WILLIAM, died at Melton Mowbray on January 10, aged 72. A very good bat and wicket-keeper at Charterhouse, he got his Blue at Cambridge as a Freshman in 1882 and played four times against Oxford, his captains being the three Studds and Lord Hawke. In those matches he scored 292 runs with an average of 48. His innings of 102 in 1883 was faultless and attracted so much attention that the Cambridge authorities presented him with a medal. Born at Harewood, Yorkshire, Charles Wright when quite young went with his parents to Wollaton in Nottinghamshire, and before he was thirteen played cricket at Trent Bridge, where he was fortunate to receive coaching by the leading county professionals, to whom he was much indebted. He first appeared for Nottinghamshire in 1881 and played intermittently with the County until July, 1899. A very steady bat, he usually went in first, and when wickets fell fast his defence often averted a complete collapse. For a scratch eleven at Stoke-on-Trent in 1890 against the Australians he went in first, scored 26 out of 60 and, in the second innings, carried out his bat for 7 in a total of 51. A year later when Nottinghamshire fell at Lord's before M.C.C. for 21, he was last out for 5, the top score, only 15 runs coming from the bat. In the second innings of this match he made 39 out of 69, but the County were beaten in a day by an innings and 37 runs. On treacherous pitches, his strong back play enabled him to keep up his end against the best bowlers. In 1883 he played for the Gentlemen against Players at Lord's and the Oval. The loss of the sight of one eye in a shooting accident no doubt influenced Mr. Wright to give up active participation in the game comparatively early in life, but his interest in cricket remained unabated. Treasurer of the Nottinghamshire Club for many years and a Trustee since 1900, Charles Wright was always closely in touch with his County's cricket. He went on four tours; with teams captained by Lord Hawke--to America and Canada in 1891 and 1894; to India in the winter of 1892, and to South Africa three years later.

WYNYARD, MAJOR EDWARD GEORGE, D.S.O., died at the age of 75, at The Red House, Knotty Green, Beaconsfield, Bucks, on October 30. Born in India on April 1, 1861, Major Wynyard was educated chiefly at Charterhouse School. He enjoyed a distinguished career in the Army, mainly in the East, before retiring in 1903. He served in the Great War in different staff appointments.

Over six feet in height and finely built, Wynyard was a brilliant player of most games, and excelled on the cricket field, where his commanding figure could not escape attention. In his Hampshire days he usually wore an I. Zingari cap of polo shape balanced at the military angle with a strap under the chin. A splendid forcing batsman he played many fine innings, and in 1899 in company with Major R. M. Poore he scored 225 out of 411 added for Hampshire's sixth wicket against Somerset at Taunton. This is still the record stand for the sixth wicket by English batsmen. The runs were made in four hours, twenty minutes, and Major Poore finished with 304. Major Wynyard bowled lobs and in this match he took five wickets for 38 runs.

He went to New Zealand in the autumn of 1906 as captain of the M.C.C. touring team, but in the third match he snapped a tendon in his leg and returned home. He captained an M.C.C. amateur team who went to America at the end of our 1907 season. Twice he was compelled to decline invitations to accompany England teams to Australia. He toured South Africa in 1905 and 1909 with the teams led by P. F. Warner and H. D. G. Leveson-Gower.

From the time when Hampshire became a first-class county in 1895, Major Wynyard scored 7,572 runs with an average of 34. He excelled in 1894 with an average of 66. Two years later he was in the England eleven which beat Australia at the Oval by 66 runs, the Colonials being dismissed by Peel and J. T. Herne for 44 in the fourth innings. That was the last math in which W. G. Grace led England to victory.

Major Wynyard played his last first-class match in 1912 for M.C.C. against Oxford University, but was regular in his visits to Lord's where, for a time, he assisted in the management. As he appeared first for Hampshire at Lord's against M.C.C. in 1878, his playing career extended over 35 years. He used to say that he made 150 centuries in all kinds of cricket of which he kept a record.

While on service in India, Major Wynyard played many big innings and in one match scored 123 and 106, both not out. When home on leave in 1887, he made 233 for Incogniti against Phoenix Park at Dublin.

A fine, free hitter, Major Wynyard used a great variety of strokes, especially those in front of the wicket. He had a grand drive, a powerful hook, a good cut, back strokes of a forcing description and a rare pull in making which he dropped to his right knee and drove the ball on the half volley over mid-on. He developed also a special method of hitting left-handed bowling over cover point in most effective fashion. While he could field admirably anywhere, he excelled at slip and at mid-on.

A splendid Association forward, he played in the Old Carthusian eleven who won the Football Association Cup in 1881 by beating Old Etonians in the Final Tie at Kennington Oval.

YOUNG, ARCHIBALD, who has been described as one of the finest cricketers Somerset ever produced, died at Bath on April 2, aged 45. He had been ill for some years and retired from county cricket at the end of the 1933 season. Appointed to the first-class umpires list, Young never officiated owing to his health which, it is believed, had been adversely affected during four years' service in France. Though first called upon by Somerset in 1911, Young met with little success until 1921. An enterprising batsman, he always hit the ball hard, excelling with strokes in front of the wicket and the cut. He fielded smartly in the slips and was a good right-hand slow bowler. Bath, his birthplace, was the scene of his highest score--198 against Hampshire in 1924. He did best work as an all-rounder in his last season when he scored 951 runs and took 90 wickets. Tom Young, as he was generally called, overcame the handicap of periodical illness with splendid courage.


Particulars of these deaths were received too late for inclusion in previous issues:

ARCHER, MR. ALFRED GERMAN, a good wicket-keeper, who played for M.C.C. in 1899, for Worcestershire, and Shropshire, died at Seaford, Sussex, on July 15, 1935, aged 63.

BURY, MR. LINDSAY, a noted player of games in the seventies, died suddenly on October 30, 1935, at Stanford Wood, near Reading, aged 78. Born on July 9, 1857 at Withington, near Manchester, he went to Eton, and against Harrow in 1876, he made 72 runs by good free hitting and bowled fast round-arm with effect. He played both cricket and Association football for Cambridge and threw the hammer in the University Sports. In College Sports he won the 100 yards and long jump, besides the hammer, which he threw 104 feet, 4½ inches on November 18, 1878. For Trinity against King's he put the weight 34 feet, 5 inches. He was in the England football eleven against Scottland in 1877, and against Wales in 1879. Standing 6 feet, 1 inch, and weighing 14 stone, he was a very powerful man.

CHALLENGER, MR. EDGAR OLIVER, whose death occurred at Staten Island on July 21, 1935, was incorrectly given in the last issue of Wisden as Challenor.

FINCH, MR. HENRY RANDOLPH, at the time of his death, December 6, 1935, was regarded as the oldest Harlequin and Free Forester, having been born on October 18, 1842. He attended the Test matches at Trent Bridge and Lord's in 1935, at the age of 92. Going from Harrow to Balliol he was contemporary with R. A. H. Mitchell, the Oxford captain--the greatest amateur batsman for some years.

HIDE, ARTHUR, a medium paced left-hand bowler, who fielded well at short slip, and also batted left-hand low on the list, died at Bexhill-on-Sea, his home, on November 5, 1933. Born on May 7, 1860, he was 22 when first playing for Sussex and he kept his place in the side until 1890 when he became coach at Marlborough College. Altogether, in 124 matches for Sussex, he took 459 wickets at 18.10 runs apiece and scored 1,289 runs--average 7.76. At Hove in 1882 he took 9 Yorkshire wickets for 112 runs. In 1888, his best season, he took 7 Surrey wickets for 44 runs in one innings, and against Lancashire 6 for 34, 9 in the match for 86, both at Brighton.

HILL, MR. HENRY, who played occasionally for Yorkshire from 1887 to 1891, died at Headingley, Leeds, on August 14, 1935. Business prevented him from giving much time to first-class cricket or he might have played regularly in the county eleven during the early years of Lord Hawke's captaincy. A free batsman, fond of driving, he scored 565 runs in all matches for the County at an average of 15.09 for 36 completed innings before Yorkshire ever carried off the championship. When first appearing for the County against Leicestershire, then second class, at Dewsbury, he made 65, the highest score in the match. Very fond of fielding in the deep, he brought off some remarkable catches. He captained the Savile club at Dewsbury for several seasons and played local cricket until 70 years old. Henry Hill represented Dewsbury, his native town, on the Yorkshire Committee up to the time of his death at the age of 76.

HOPKINSON, MR. EDWARD, who died on December 26, 1935, aged 85, played for Pennsylvania University and was a member of the eleven which first won the Halifax Cup in 1874.

HUTTON, MR. THOMAS, died at Durham on November 1, 1935, aged 76. He was a playing member of the City club for forty years and played for Durham County from 1884 to 1898. A good bat, he scored 132 against M.C.C. in 1893.

HYNDSON, CAPTAIN JAMES GERALD WYNDHAM, M. C., died on February 23, 1935, after an operation. A fast medium bowler, he played for Surrey against the two Universities at the Oval in 1927.

LANCASTER, THOMAS, who played for Lancashire with some success as a bowler in the nineties, died on December 12, 1935, aged 72. Yorkshire tried him in 1891 but, though taking 5 wickets for 87 runs in the match, he did not appear again. He played most of his cricket in the Lancashire League.

LESLEY, MR. ROBERT, W., who died at Philadelphia on November 10, 1935, aged 82, had been President of the Merion Cricket Club since 1923. He presented the Lesley Cup which is competed for annually by Philadelphia and New York, at golf.

LOWSON, DR. JAMES A., was one of the few survivors of a Hong Kong team, who were wrecked when returning from Shanghai. He was a useful slow spin bowler, and a scratch golf player. Born in 1866, he died at Kirkton, Forfar, on October 21, 1935.

MENZIES, DR. HENRY, a very good wicket-keeper, was up at Cambridge with Gregor McGregor and so had no chance of getting his blue. A well-known Free Forester, he played a few times for Middlesex in the early nineties. He died on March 7, 1935, aged 68.

POLHILL-TURNER, REV. ARTHUR TWISTLETON, of the Eton eleven 1879-80, died at Letchworth on November 21, 1935, aged 73. He was one of the Cambridge Seven, who went as Missionaries to China and he worked for 43 years in the province of Szechwan, Western China, retiring in 1928.

RICHARDSON, MR. LIONEL, was for some years secretary of the Ramblers Club, Bloemfontein, and played for Orange Free State in the Currie Cup Tournament of 1906-7. He won the Lawn Tennis Singles Championship of South Africa in 1891 and 1892. He died at Vancouver, January 18, 1935, aged 72.

SEVERNE, MR. EDMUND CHARLES WIGLEY, who died suddenly in London on December 28, 1935, aged 49, was in the Eton eleven of 1904.

TRESTRAIL, MAJOR ALFRED ERNEST YATES, D.S.O., T.D., who played for Somerset in 1905, died suddenly at New Milton, Hampshire on February 5, 1935, aged 59. He went to Amersham Hall School, and Christ's College, Cambridge. He served in the 15th Batt. Cheshire Regiment.

WORM, MR. CLARENCE AUDREY, who died in Buffalo, New York, on February 19, 1935, was born in Barbados in March, 1884. He played for Brooklyn Club for several years and headed the Metropolitan District League bowling averages in 1910. For buffalo in 1911 he took all ten Cleveland wickets for 8 runs.

© John Wisden & Co