Obituaries in 1935

ASHBURNHAM-CLEMENT, SIR ANCHITEL PIERS, Bart., a past president of the Sussex County Cricket Club, died on August 5 at his home, Broomham, Guestling, near Hastings, aged seventy-four. Ninth baronet, Sir Anchitel succeeded to the title in 1899. For several years he represented Sussex at the meetings of the Advisory County Cricket Committee and Board of Control at Lord's

BALDWIN, HENRY, the Hampshire professional, played for the county from 1887 to 1905. Born at Wokingham in Berkshire on November 27, 1860, he belonged to a family which could put an eleven in the field. He was conspicuous in raising Hampshire to the first class championship in 1895 and that season he took 102 wickets at 16 runs each in competition matches. Against Essex at Southampton he dismissed 13 men for 78 runs; he and Tom Soar, a splendid fast bowler on his day, were unchanged in both innings of the Derbyshire match and he was in the Players's eleven against Gentlemen at the Oval. Although no more than 5 ft. 6 inches in height Baldwin weighed well over 12 stone. His portly figure, running to the crease for his slow right hand bowling, or standing at point, made him one of the memorable characters in a very good side captained by Dr. Russell Bencraft, now Sir Russell, President of the Hampshire club. Length and off-break with pace from the pitch made him deadly on turf affected by rain, or worn. He had no pretentions as a batsman, but in his great match against Essex, Soar and he were top scorers in Hampshire's second innings with 37 not out and 32; A. P. Lucas with 37 was highest for Essex in the whole match.

The first Hampshire professional to have a benefit, Baldwin was unfortunate in the reward received. Yorkshire were a big attraction in 1898, and so strong were they that, after a day's rain, the match was finished off between 12 o'clock and five minutes past six. For three innings the aggregate was only 235. D. A. Steele, whose death also occurred this year, was the highest scorer with 10 in the Hampshire totals--42 and 36. Baldwin did well with 4 wickets for 37, but his performance came between two astonishing feats by Schofield Haigh--8 for 21 and 6 for 22; 14 wickets for 43 runs in the day. He died on Jan. 12. His son, H. G. Baldwin, played for Surrey and is now a first class umpire.

BLACKLOCK, MR. J. P., who died on January 22, aged 51, was a good forcing batsman and a smart fieldsman. He, his father, two uncles and a brother all played for Wellington. Robert and J. P. appeared for New Zealand. In 1905, J. P. was top scorer with 30 for New Zealand against the Australian team at Wellington, and he made 22 and 97 against the Melbourne club captained by Warwick Armstrong in 1906.

BORRADAILE, Mr. OSWELL ROBERT, the former Essex Secretary who did great work for the club for 31 years, died at Buckhurst Hill on May 11, at the age of 76. Acting as Secretary to Essex from 1890 to 1921, when he had to retire owing to ill-health, Mr. Borradaile, with Mr. C. E. Green, saved the County Club from threatened extinction. He retained his interest in Essex cricket until the last. Born at Westminster on May 9, 1859, he was educated at Westminister School but left too early to be included in the eleven. A useful batsman, a medium-paced bowler and a smart field at point, he was an outstanding figure in club cricket and played occasionally for Essex. He captained the Stoics C.C. for ten years and acted as their Hon. Secretary for fifteen years and frequently appeared for M.C.C. in minor matches. In 1889 when touring with the Marylebone Club he shared with Mr. G. F. Wells-Cole in four three-figure opening partnerships on four consecutive days. Succeeding Mr. M. P. Betts as Secretary to Essex, Mr. Borradaile served them in the days of such personalities as H. G. Owen, Carpenter, Walter Mead, C. J. Kortright, A. J. Turner, P. Perrin and C. McGahey. With the club in financial straits he worked so hard that he prevented bankruptcy and succeeded in raising Essex to great heights. They reached first-class status in 1895 and two years later the side fared so well as to make Essex cricket the feature of the season. A man of strong personality, tremendous enthusiasm and energy, Mr. Borradaile, by reason of his kindness and courtesy, made himself extremely popular. Upon his resignation from the Essex Secretaryship, the club paid him a fine tribute in the form of a testimonial and election as a life-member.

BRAYBROOKE, HENRY MELLOR, M.B.E., died on October 28 at Tates, aged 66. Born at Kandy in Ceylon on February 11, 1869, he went to Wellington College and was in the 1886 eleven. He failed get his blue at Cambridge, though playing a few times for the University in 1891, but between 1890 and 1899 he met with some success for Kent, his highest score for the county being 53 against Somerset at Taunton in 1892. A free batsman, hitting specially well to the on, he played many big innings in club cricket including 256 not out for Blue Mantles against Eastbourne College in 1889, his unfinished opening partnership with J. H. Kelsey (136 not out) producing 403.

He played for Cambridge against Oxford at golf in 1890 and 1891 and gained mainly prizes for running.

BRIDGEMAN, VISCOUNT, the politician who died on August 14, aged 70, played for Eton in 1884 and three years later gained his Blue at Cambridge, his batting average for that season being 34. In the match against Sussex in 1887 he played probably the best innings of his career--162 not out. He and L. Martineau put on 193 in a splendid partnership for the seventh wicket which pulled the game round completely. A good steady bat, and a live fieldsman at point, he afterwards assisted Staffordshire. Viscount Bridgeman was President of M.C.C. in 1931 and at the time of his death was a member of the M.C.C. Committee.

BROCKWELL, WILLIAM, a prominent Surrey cricketer nearly fifty years ago, died on July 1. A stylish and often brilliant batsman, strong in back play and a free hitter in front of the wicket, Brockwell also was a useful fast medium paced bowler and a smart fieldsman, notably at second slip where he succeeded George Lohmann--one of the surest catches ever seen in that position. First playing for the county in 1886, Brockwell matured slowly but it was difficult to find a place in the very powerful Surrey eleven of that period. However, from 1891 to 1902 he was a regular member of the side and played his last game in 1903 when the team were declining rapidly in all round strength.

During Brockwell's career at the Oval Surrey carried off the Championship eight times and once tied for first place with Lancashire and Nottinghamshire. Needless to say Surrey were tremendously strong in those days. Brockwell played under John Shuter, K. J. Key, D. L. A. Jephson and the present president, H. D. G. Leveson Gower. Among his contemporaries were such great batsmen as W. W. Read, Maurice Read, Robert Abel, Tom Hayward and bowlers of equal fame--George Lohmann, Tom Richardson and William Lockwood. To be in such company was an honour; and in 1894 Brockwell came out at the head of the English batting with the highest aggregate, 1491 and best average 38.9. He was also leading scorer for Surrey with 1091 runs and an average of 35--remarkable figures in a summer of` unsettled weather.

At the end of the season he was included in the side which A. E. Stoddart took out to Australia. The team won three out of five Test matches but Brockwell had a very small share in the victories, putting together no score of 50 and averaging less than 18 runs an innings in those games. He did not regain his form until 1896 but in that year and for several seasons afterwards he played a lot of fine cricket especially in 1898 when, although below Abel and Tom Hayward, he made 1468 runs in Championship matches and averaged 43, among his chief innings being six centuries. In 1893 and again in 1899, he was chosen to play for England against Australia at Manchester. His most effective bowling year was 1899 when in all Surrey matches he took 95 wickets. Altogether in the course of his career, which really finished when he was 32, he took 544 wickets in first-class matches at a cost of 25 runs apiece and scored 13,228 runs with an average of 26. Unhappily, after retiring from first-class cricket Brockwell fell upon evil days and he died in abject poverty at Richmond, aged 69, having been born on January 21, 1866.

BUCKLEY, MR. GEORGE ARTHUR, a director of Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club, died during an early Communion Service in St. Paul's Church, Norton Lees, in November, aged 46. An excellent cricketer, he played for Cheshire as a young man and once for Derbyshire shortly after the war. Three county clubs offered him professional engagements but he remained headmaster of a Council School in Sheffield. As a fast bowler he met with much success in Yorkshire Council League cricket and was captain of the Sheffield United eleven for several seasons.

BULLOCH, MR. JAMES HOWEL. Captain in 1894, his second year in the Harrow eleven, he went to Trinity College, Cambridge, and kept wicket in the Freshmen's match. He appeared in the University Sports as weight putter in 1897 and 1898. He died on October 8, aged 59.

CALTHROPE, THE HON. FREDERICK SOMERSET GOUGH, Cambridge Blue and Warwickshire captain, died on November 19 aged 43 after about a month's illness from which recovery was impossible. Born on May 27, 1892, he was one of the best all-round players of his time at Repton, being described in 1911 as the backbone of a strong side's bowling. Going up to Jesus College, Cambridge, he obtained his Blue as a Freshman and remained in the side for the following two seasons. During the War he served in the Royal Air Force and would have captained Cambridge in 1919 had not the letter of invitation miscarried. As it was, he played under J. S. F. Morrison in his fourth University match which Oxford won by 45 runs. The game revived the best traditions of cricket at Lord's which during the preceding four summers had been given over in various ways to the amelioration of War service.

Before the War Calthorpe appeared a few times for Sussex, but in 1919 threw in his lot with Warwickshire and next year he became captain, a position he held until 1929. Always an enthusiastic cricketer, Calthorpe reached his best in 1925 when he scored 1,404 runs for Warwickshire with an average of 34.24 and took 44 wickets. His all-round form gained him a place in the Gentlemen's team at Lord's. A most attractive batsman, who went out to the half volley or cut the short ball in true Repton style, Calthorpe usually scored freely. As a medium-paced right hand bowler, he had a peculiar corkscrew run and his swerve with the new ball often worried batsmen. One of his best performances with the ball was in 1914 when in Oxford's second innings he took five wickets for 43 runs. In 1920, when most successful as a bowler, he took 100 wickets in all matches and scored 1025 runs. Another notable bowling feat by Calthorpe occurred at Edgbaston in 1922 when he and Howell put out Hampshire for 15. Calthorpe took four wickets for four runs in that sensational game which Hampshire won by 155 runs. He toured New Zealand and Australia in the winter of 1922 with the M.C.C. team, captained by A. C. MacLaren, and he went out to the West Indies in charge of M.C.C. teams in 1925 and 1929. Calthorpe had a lot to do with starting the Folkestone Cricket Festival. He enjoyed every minute of a game whether batting, bowling or fielding. Taking the joy of the cricket field to the golf links he became a scratch player with the Worplesdon Club, founded the Cricketers' Golf Society, and gave a cup for competition. Son of Lord Calthorpe he was heir to the title.

CAMERON, MR. HORACE BRAKENRIDGE (South Africa) died November 2, 1935--see Five Cricketers of the Year.

CAMPBELL, MR. JOHN Gladstone, died on July 2 in Chicago. One of the best bowlers of his day in America he was largely responsible for the Wanderers Club winning the International Cricket Tournament in 1908.

CARTMAN, WILLIAM, died at Skipton, January 16, aged 74. Born on June 20, 1861 he played cricket early and was prominently connected with the Skipton Club during many years. For Yorkshire in 1891 he scored 238 runs, average 21.

CHALLENOR, MR. EDGAR OLIVER, died at the age of 57 when batting for Staten Island against the Overseas Club at Staten Island on July 21. Born in St. Kitts he first played cricket in United States for Brooklyn. He captained the Richmond Club and also in 1923 led the Westchester Biltmore Country Club in the Halifax Cup matches. President of the New York and New Jersey Cricket Association 1920; 1922-26. President New York and Metropolitan District Cricket Association and of Staten Island C.C, 1934-35. A fair bat he was one of the chief financial supporters of cricket in New York. In 1920 he sponsored the visit of Incogniti to New York and was made an honorary life member of the club.

CHALLENOR, BRIGADIER-GENERAL EDWARD LACY, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., died in London on September 15, aged 62. He was a well-known M.C.C. and Army cricketer.

CLARKE, W. ALFRED F., of Mitcham C.C. and Surrey, died during the year, aged 68. A very good wicket-keeper Alf Clarke played occasionally for the County in 1890 and the next two seasons.

CLARKE, WILLIAM, who died on May 29, in his 86th year, having been born on March 17, 1850, played in a few matches for Nottinghamshire and in the neighbourhood of Kirkby, where he was born and lived, he was known as Cricketer Clarke. A fast right arm bowler he batted left handed. In 1876 against Lancashire at Trent Bridge he took 2 wickets for 4 runs and a year later against Gloucestershire he had the satisfaction of seeing W. G. Grace caught off his bowling for 3. Between 1877 and 1892 he was coach to the Royal Artillery Officers at Woolwich.

COLLIER, MR. JOSEPH, a survivor of the players who took the field against the first Australian touring side in 1878, died at Leicester on October 15, aged 84. For the county Collier scored 20 not out and 6, the match being made memorable by Charles Bannerman getting 133--the first hundred hit in England by an Australian. Ten years later Collier was in the Leicestershire eleven who beat the Australians by 20 runs. Pougher took 10 wickets for 71 and Mr. H. T. Arnall-Thompson, the county captain, 9 wickets for 65.

COLMAN, CAPTAIN GEOFFREY RUSSELL REES, died at Framlingham Chase on March 18 just after his 43rd birthday, having been born on March 14, 1892. He headed the Eton averages in 1911 with 43.25 for an aggregate of 519 runs and by scoring 74 he helped to beat Harrow at Lord's by 3 wickets. Going up to Oxford he got his blue as a senior in 1913 and in a low scoring match made 39--the highest score in the first innings of either side. Hon. Secretary in the following year he would have become captain of the Oxford eleven had not the War intervened. Wounds affected his health but he played with conspicuous success for Norfolk until 1930 when he no longer felt equal to the strain of County cricket. Altogether his active connection with Norfolk county cricket extended over 20 years. A very good opening batsman, with strong defence and a large range of strokes, he was always attractive to watch. Occasionally his high flighted slows proved effective and he was a brilliant field at cover point. He toured the United States and Canada with Incogniti in 1913.

COOLEY, MR. BERTRAM CLIFFORD, who came to England with the 1901 South African team, died on August 17, aged 61. A sound batsman he scored 126 not out against Cambridge. In the last match he played in first class cricket--for Natal against Western Provinces in 1907--he scored 113, helping David Nourse add 217 for the ninth wicket after eight men had fallen for 100.

CRAWFORD, REV. JOHN CHARLES, M.A., died at Wimbledon on February 21, aged 85. Born on May 29, 1849 at Hastings, he was the oldest surviving member of a remarkable cricketing and athletic family. Parson Crawford, as he was always called when well known as a cricketer, played occasionally for Kent from 1872 to 1877 and for Leicestershire in 1878; also for Gentlemen of Sussex and Gentlemen of Surrey, and for Surrey Second Eleven; but he never appeared for the County. Large framed and powerfully built, he could bowl very fast right hand or slow left. It is on record that Willsher, the famous umpire, said that Crawford was the fastest bowler he had ever seen. In a match at Dunkirk in 1867 he sent one bail 51 yards and the other 49 yards. He hit very hard and against weak bowling would sometimes bat left-handed, particularly in club cricket in which he was a familiar figure around London for many years. He loved the game so much that all his children played from an early age. More than once a team of eleven Crawfords, including grandfather, his two sons, the Parson's two sons, daughters and a nephew took the field. One of the oldest and most respected members both of the M.C.C. and of the Surrey club, he had numberless friends both at Lord's and the Oval, where he was constantly in the pavilion watching cricket very late in life.

His father, who lived to the age of 101, played for Gentlemen of England in the days when cricketers wore top hats. His brother, Major F. F. Crawford, who died in the South African War, captained Kent in the early seventies and played for M.C.C. in South Africa, India and elsewhere. Parson Crawford was the father of R. T., J. N. and the late V. F. S. Crawford, all of whom played first-class cricket with distinction. J. C. Crawford took his degree from University College, Oxford, and for 36 years was Chaplain to Cane Hill Mental Hospital in Surrey.

CROCKETT, ROBERT W., the Australian umpire, died on December 12, aged 72. Born in Melbourne, he was closely connected with Melbourne cricket for many years, and was at work on the club's famous ground when he contracted a chill, as the result of which he passed away. Bob Crockett stood in most of the Test matches during a long period when England teams visited Australia, and was held in high regard by everyone for his accurate decisions. Recognised by cricketers the world over as one of the finest umpires of his time, his quiet demeanour, unfailing good humour and strict impartiality endeared him to all players with whom he came in contact. When failing sight compelled him to give up umpiring, he became a director in a company to make cricket bats at Melbourne out of Tasmanian willow. This experiment proved fairly satisfactory, and provided Crockett with a livelihood for many years. The bats are still being made. So many times did Crockett umpire at the end from which Blackie, the Victorian, bowled, and so many decisions did he give in favour of Blackie, that their combination gave rise to many jests. When the two met in the street, Rocketty would welcome Crookett with How's that, Bob? and the umpire answered with the out signal, raising his hand high in the air. J. B. Hobbs coupled him with Frank Chester as the best umpires he knew, and the Surrey batsman had good opportunities of forming an opinion, because when he was in the M.C.C. team captained by A. O. Jones in 1907, Crockett already held an honoured name for his unfailing care and accuracy. Crockett came to England with the Australian team in 1926 and umpired in one match--Public Schools Fifteen v. The Australians, at Lord's.

Mr. P. F. Warner, when asked about Bob Crockett, said:-- A very fine umpire: one of the best I have ever seen. He commanded the respect of everyone, and gained a reputation with English cricketers who, even if they doubted whether they were out, were quite satisfied when they realised that Crockett had made the decision.

DIXON, MR. ARCHIBALD WILLIS, who died at Sheffield on May 23, aged 65, was in Rugby eleven from 1886 to 89 and played once for Yorkshire in 1888.

FLETCHER, WILLIAM, a fast bowler who played in twelve matches for Yorkshire during the seasons of 1891 and 1892, died in June. Born on February 16, 1866, he was in his 70th year.

FOX, MR. FREDERICK ISAAC, who played for Nottinghamshire against Surrey and Yorkshire in August 1890, died on August 21, at Beltinge, Kent, aged 71.

GOODMAN, MR. PERCY ARNOLD, died at Barbados on April 25, aged 60. With his death there came to an end a cricket quartette of Goodmans. Sir Gerald Aubrey captained the Pickwick Club; Evan was the fastest scorer in Barbados; Clifford the best bowler and Percy the best all-rounder. Percy Goodman played against all the English touring teams from 1895 to 1911 and he came to England with the West Indies sides of 1900 and 1906. He hit a century against Lord Brackley's team in 1905; in 1900 he made 104 not out against Derbyshire and in 1906 he scored 102 not out against Yorkshire and 107 against Northamptonshire. He had a good defence and hit the loose ball very hard.

HANDFORD, ALICK, who died at Tavistock on October 15, aged 66, played for Nottinghamshire from 1894 to 1898 without ever holding a regular place in the eleven. He was also on the ground staff at Lord's. A right hand medium paced bowler with a good easy action he caused a sensation at the end of July 1894 in the second innings of Gloucestershire at Trent Bridge. Starting the bowling with William Attewell, he sent down 13 overs, 11 maidens, for 3 runs and 5 wickets--including those of W. G. Grace, clean bowled, J. J. Ferris, the Australian, and E. M. Grace. His success ended there but his complete analysis showed 26 overs, 18 maidens, 25 runs, five wickets. A year later he took five Leicestershire wickets for 23 runs in the course of 17 overs of which 10 were maidens. Failing to get a permanent place in the county eleven Handford devoted himself to coaching at schools.

HARE, MR. JOHN HUGH MONTAGUE, of King's Lynn, who died on August 1, was in the Uppingham eleven and got his Oxford blue in 1879. A. G. Steel in that match took 11 wickets, including Hare's in each innings, at a total cost of 66 runs and also made 64--the highest score for either side; Cambridge won by 9 wickets. A master in turn at Winchester and Eton Mr. Hare sometimes appeared for Norfolk.

HAYTER, REV. WILLIAM THOMAS BARING, who died at Penn, Bucks., on August 21, aged 76, was in the Charterhouse eleven from 1875 to 77. He went up to Brasenose, Oxford, but did not get his blue. Late Master of The Charterhouse.

HICKLEY, MR. CHARLES LUSHINGTON, who died on July 2 aged 73 years was a very good bowler. In the Winchester eleven three years he helped in the fine victory by 6 wickets in 1878 when Lord Hawke, G. B. and C. T. Studd were in the Eton eleven. In trials at Oxford he did well but failed to get his blue.

HIGGINS-BERNARD, LIEUT.-COL. FRANCIS TYRINGHAM, died suddenly while playing tennis at Aylesbury on July 13, aged 70. In the Westminster eleven from 1880-83 he was captain during his last three years. He played Association football for Oxford in 1887. In 1904 he won the officers' sabre competition at the Military Tournament.

HYDE, LORD, who was born on May 6, 1906, died on April 27, He headed the Eton averages in 1924 when he made 86 against Harrow and 96 against Winchester. Next year he again did well against Winchester with 65, but a fortnight later he failed in the Harrow Match. Going up to Oxford he was tried as a Freshman and played three times in the Seniors match but did not appear in the University eleven for any further trial. Of stout build he was a brilliant bat on dry wickets with very attractive style.

JELLICOE, ADMIRAL OF THE FLEET, EARL, O.M., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., who died on November 20, aged 75, was a member of M.C.C. and I. Zingari. He captained a team of Admirals on the cricket field against the Nautical College at Pangbourne in 1930. Born on December 5, 1859, he was a very good fieldsman at cover. In 1919 Admiral Jellicoe was elected at the Annual General Meeting an Honorary Member of the M.C.C.

JONES, MR. RICHARD STOAKES, died, aged 78, on May 9 at Dymchurch, Kent, where he was born on March 14, 1857. From Chatham House, Ramsgate, he went to Trinity College, Cambridge, and played in the eleven in 1879 and 1880. Although on the winning side in each match he failed completely. Often playing for Kent from 1877 to 1886 he scored 1412 runs, average 17.43, his highest innings being 83 against Lancashire at Manchester in 1883. He made 124 for the University against Gentlemen of England at Cambridge in 1880. A stylish bat with admirable defence he was a fine leg hitter. A very good deep field.

KNOX, MAJOR NEVILLE ALEXANDER, died at Surbiton, Surrey on March 3, at the age of 50. His cricketing career was brief but brilliant. Born on October 10, 1884, he played both cricket and Rugby Football for Dulwich College. He appeared for Surrey against Lancashire in 1904 and took four wickets. Next season he rose to fame in remarkable fashion and had a big share in winning back for Surrey, after a year of extreme depression, a high position among the counties. For the county he took 121 wickets, and in all matches dismissed 129 batsmen at an average of less than 22 runs apiece. In the following year he did even better, taking 144 wickets for 19.63 runs each and achieving a notable triumph for the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord's. By taking 12 wickets for 183, he had a large share in a victory for the Gentlemen by 45 runs; seven of his victims were clean bowled. It was astonishing how H. Martyn, the Oxford and Somerset wicket-keeper, stood up to his tremendously fast bowling. In the same game Arthur Fielder, the Kent fast bowler, performed the feat--never previously accomplished in this fixture--of taking, at a cost of 90 runs, all ten wickets in the Gentlemen's first innings.

The first-class career of Knox ended in 1910. He developed an acute form of shin soreness, and had to struggle against chronic lameness. He often played when he ought to have been resting, and only sheer pluck and resolution enabled him to get through the work he did. Loose limbed and standing well over six feet, Knox made full use of his physical advantage. His long and peculiar run, starting from near deep mid-off, made the length and direction of the ball difficult to judge. He bowled at a great pace with undeniable off-break, and his good length deliveries often reared up straight.

In 1907 he played for England against South Africa in the Second and Third Test Matches at Leeds and Kennington Oval, without, however, achieving much sucess. In last year's Almanack Hobbs, referring to fast bowlers, said:-- Being a member of the same county side, I only played against N. A. Knox in Gentlemen and Players matches and games of a similar description, when he was probably past his best, but I think he was the best fast bowler I ever saw.

Knox joined the R. A. O. C. as a lieutenant in 1915 and was promoted, captain in 1919.

LEES, MAJOR JOHN, who died in February, aged 74, captained Uppingham in 1880, his third year in the eleven and showed promise at Cambridge in 1881 without getting his blue when the University had extremely powerful sides; but in 1883 he played Rugby for the University against Oxford. Keeping up his form in the Army he assisted Cambridgehire in 1898-99. Born September 11, 1861.

LLOYD, COLONEL WILFORD NEVILLE, C.B., C.V.O., of H. M. Hon. Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms, who died February 15, in his 80th year, was in the Uppingham eleven of 1872.

MCGAHEY, MR. CHARLES PERCY, the famous Essex batsman, died in Whipps Cross Hospital on January 10. His death was the result of an accident on Christmas Day when, slipping on a greasy pavement, he fell and damaged a finger. Septic poisoning ensued and proved fatal. Born on February 12, 1871, Charles McGahey first appeared for Essex in 1893 when the county was second-class and not until 1921 did he retire. He was assistant secretary of the club for several years and captained the County eleven from 1907 to 1910, while from 1930 onwards he acted as official scorer for Essex.

Just a natural hitter in club cricket when given a trial by Essex, he advanced slowly, but profited so much from practice against professional bowling provided by Mr. C. E. Green before each season at Leyton and experience in match play, as his form improved, that he became one of the best batsmen of his time. During his long career he scored 20,723 runs with an average of 30 in first-class cricket and as a slow right-hand leg-break bowler he took 328 wickets at 31 runs each. Ready application of what he saw to his own use enabled McGahey to overcome his early faults and for some ten seasons he was one of the mainstays of the Essex team. Standing well over six feet, he played forward with great power and used this stroke even in defence of his wicket rather than wait to see what the ball would do. Essentially a hitter, he showed great strength in driving either to the off or the on and he punished any short ball with severity. Seldom did he cut. He was a good field in the slips or in the deep.

Charles McGahey and Percy Perrin--a still taller man--were known as the Essex Twins and they enjoyed many long partnerships together. McGahey reached the height of his form in 1901 when he headed the Essex batting with an aggregate of 1,627 runs and an average of 47. His five centuries included one for London County against Warwickshire at the Crystal Palace and two in the match against Gloucestershire at Leyton--114 and 145 not out. Altogether that summer he scored 1,838 runs with an average of 48.36, and took 52 wickets at 28.50 each. Such was his play that season that he was chosen as one of the Five Cricketers of the Year for the Almanack and he went out to Australia with the team which A. C. MacLaren captained. He took part in two Test Matches without success and generally on the tour he failed to produce anything like his full ability.

Usually going in second wicket down McGahey shared in three very prolific stands for Essex. In 1900 against Kent at Leyton he and Perrin scored 323 together, setting up what at that time was a record for the third wicket. Four years later at the Oval he and Herbert Carpenter hit up 328 off the Surrey bowlers and at Leyton in 1912 he and Perrin added 312 against Derbyshire. McGahey's highest innings was 277 against Derbyshire at Leyton in 1905, but probably the best display of batting he ever gave was at Old Trafford in July 1898. Essex wanted 336 in the last innings and the previous best total of the match was 254, but thanks to McGahey, who scored 145, they won by four wickets. McGahey's partnership of 191 with Perrin for the third wicket practically decided the result of a memorable game. In 1908 at Leyton he drove a ball from Hallam, the Nottinghamshire bowler, over the Pavilion and into the road. In minor cricket he played many big innings. In 1901 he and Perrin made 309 for Tottenham's first wicket at Clapton without being separated. In 1896 he made 205 for Leyton against Clapton and in 1906 at Llanelly for an Essex eleven he played the highest innings of his career--305 not out.

More than once indifferent health threatened to cause his premature retirement from cricket, but during a trip to Australia in the winter of 1897 he threw off the danger of a breakdown. At that time and for many years Charles McGahey was a splendid full-back at Association Football. He played for City Ramblers, Tottenham, Hotspur, Clapton, Woolwich Arsenal and Sheffield United besides captaining both London and Middlesex when representative elevens often included famous Corinthians.

Mr. Percy Perrin, the best batsman in England who never played Test Cricket, and still well known as one of the present Selection Committee, gives this appreciation of his old colleague--

Charles McGahey, in my view, was one of the most popular and kindest hearted players ever seen in first-class cricket; certainly he was most encouraging to any young player. I have known him on many occasions go out of his way to give a youngster good advice. Dry humour was an outstanding feature of his attractive characteristics. Having played with him more or less for 25 years I consider McGahey one of the very best cricketers Essex ever had. Really a magnificent cricketer he was undoubtedly the hardest hitter I ever faced. The opposite batsman had to keep his eyes open, as McGahey used to jump to the ball and drive back very straight. On one occasion he drove the ball back so hard that he broke his partner's arm!

I well remember one instance of his quick thinking wit when I was in at the other end. McGahey was 99, he played at the next ball, said come one but failed in his stroke and was bowled. As he passed by on the way to the pavilion he said to the bowler Lucky for you I wanted a drink.

I think one of his greatest innings was 277 against Derbyshire in 1905. He and I had many long stands together. Two come to mind readily. Kent, having fielded out 270 runs at the Oval without taking a Surrey wicket in the last stage of a drawn match, came to Leyton, and lost the toss; they got two men out before lunch, then McGahey and I batted the rest of the day and altogether added 323. The other was 312 against Derbyshire seven years later. McGahey was then 41 and I, 36. We made the runs in about three hours, his share was 150.

A very useful change bowler McGahey got us out of many a difficulty. He was a self made cricketer without any tuition whatever. We were dubbed Essex Twins by Joe Armour, the Essex scorer for 44 years--a living volume of Essex cricket history. When I started Joe Armour, in his quaint way, complained that he could not distinguish one from the other. McGahey's height was 6 feet 2 inches, mine 6 feet 3 inches. He suggested that one of the twins should wear a scarf round his waist so that he could get the runs down to the right man.

MARTINEAU, MR. CHARLES, who died on April 27, aged 73, was in the Uppingham eleven 1879-80. He did not get his blue at Cambridge but was President of the University Lawn Tennis Club and played in the Doubles against Oxford in 1884.

MILLS, MR. JOHN, who died at Basle on April 14, aged 86, was the last surviving member of the celebrated Gloucestershire team of the early seventies. He played in 1870 when Gloucestershire first met Surrey. E. M., W. G., and G. F. Grace were in an entirely amateur eleven and, as told in Wisden, The Shire beat The County by 52 runs on Durdham Down, Bristol. In the return at the Oval W. G. scored 143 and Frank Townsend 89. W. G. also took eight wickets for 55 and Surrey were beaten by an innings and 129 runs.

MITCHELL, MR. FRANK, died at his home at Blackheath, London on October 11, aged 63. A triple Blue, representing Cambridge University at Cricket, Rugby Football and Putting the Weight, Frank Mitchell enjoyed the distinction of playing cricket for both England and South Africa. He gained six caps for England as a Rugby forward and captained his University in both these games against Oxford. So readily did he adapt himself to all sports that he kept goal at Association Football for Sussex.

Born on August 13, 1872 at Market Weighton, Frank Mitchell went to St. Peter's School, York, where he captained the eleven in his last two seasons before going to Brighton as a schoolmaster. During some two years at Brighton he played good club cricket and made many runs. Going up to Cambridge, an older man than most undergraduates, he soon attracted attention with innings of 143, 203 and 136 for Caius College. He did well in the Freshmen's Match of 1894 and on first appearing for the University scored 67 against C. I. Thornton's team and a little later made 75 and 92 against Yorkshire. Gaining his Blue he remained in the side four seasons, but never did himself full justice against Oxford, his aggregate for seven innings in the University match at Lord's being 136. Cambridge were very weak in bowling when Mitchell went up and, fairly fast, he came out at the head of the averages with 21 wickets at 21 runs apiece. Fifth to go on in Oxford's first innings, he dismissed four batsmen for 44 runs but after that season he was seldom called upon.

In 1896, when captain of Cambridge, he helped to make cricket history by instructing E. B. Shine, his fast bowler, to give away extras so that Oxford should not follow-on. Three years before F. S. Jackson, in the great match at Lord's, acted in the same way with the aid of C. M. Wells and then rule 53 was altered to 120 runs instead of 80 for the follow-on. The second case of a Cambridge side avoiding the ordinary course of the game as defined by the Laws caused a storm of protest. Members in the Pavilion stood up and shouted Play the game and play cricket. Frank Mitchell himself said that one irate gentleman threw a pair of field glasses at him. Such was the effect on the nerves of the Cambridge eleven that they began their second innings most disastrously and, despite a recovery, they eventually suffered defeat by four wickets. G. O. Smith--still more famous as an Association centre-forward--by scoring 132, took the chief part in hitting off 330 runs, which at that time was a most exceptional performance. In commenting upon the match Wisden said: We defended F. S. Jackson and C. M. Wells for what they did and, believing that even in its amended form Law 53 is ill adapted to modern cricket, we think Mitchell was quite entitled in the interests of his side to take the course he did. Opposite views were expressed during correspondence in The Times but the authorities eventually changed the Law so that the side batting first and leading by 150 runs should have the option of enforcing the follow-on or themselves going in a second time.

Frank Mitchell first appeared for Yorkshire in 1894 and, though he met with limited success following his fine play at Fenner's, most good judges, including W. G. Grace, had strong faith in his future. Lord Hawke took him to South Africa in the winter of 1898 and so well did he play that he was given a regular place in the Yorkshire eleven next summer; then he proved a model of consistency. Scoring 1,502 runs in County fixtures he finished up a good third to F.S. Jackson and George Hirst. At Leicester in 1899 he and Wainwright put on 329 for the fifth wicket when Yorkshire had made a bad start, his score of 194 being his best for the county. After a year in South Africa, Mitchell in 1901 headed the Yorkshire batting with an average of 46.17 for an aggregate of 1,801, including seven centuries, four of them, two not out, in consecutive matches. He far surpassed George Hirst, T. L. Taylor, J. T. Brown, Denton and Tunnicliffe all of whom scored over 1,200 runs. This form brought him recognition as one of the Five Cricketers of the Year in Wisden. His last appearance for Yorkshire was in 1904; altogether for the county he scored 4,090 runs with an average of 34.35. If not very polished in style, he had great qualities and became an accomplished batsman on any kind of wicket. Essentially an off-side player, he drove with tremendous power. Altogether during his first-class career in England and for England Touring Teams in South Africa he scored 8,438 runs with an average of 32.45.

After his first experience of South Africa he served in the Yokshire Dragoons during the Boer War and following his best season in England he was almost lost to Yorkshire. Returning to South Africa he became Secretary to Sir Abe Bailey and played for the Transvaal. In 1904 he captained the South African side which came to England and eight years later he was in charge of the side that took part in the Triangular tournament. Broken as it was by various changes in his life, Mitchell's first-class cricket career then ended, but two years later he played for M.C.C. in one match, scoring 17 and 66 at Fenner's against his old University. So Cambridge was the scene of the start and finish of Mitchell as a first-class cricketer.

Mitchell played Rugby football for Cambridge University from 1893 to 1895 and for Blackheath. He gained International honours in 1895 and 1896 as a forward when England put in the field particularly strong packs. Frank Mitchell took a team to America in 1895; two years later he went there with a side captained by B. J. T. Bosanquet and in 1901 made his third visit to the United States under P. F. Warner.

During the Great War, he rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel in the West Riding R. F. A. and was mentioned in despatches. He wrote Rugby Football, in the Badminton Library, and did considerable journalistic work.

MORTON, ARTHUR, died at Stockport, after a long illness, on December 19. Last summer, he had to relinquish his engagements as umpire owing to ill-health, but he was again on the list for first-class matches for next season. A very good official, he umpired in several test matches. During many years Morton stood out as a very useful all-round player in the Derbyshire eleven. In 1910, he was by far the best bowler for the county, taking 116 wickets for 22 runs each, and in batting he had only two of his regular colleagues above him. Four years later, he headed the batting averages with 27.64 for an aggregate of 1,023 runs, and he took 50 wickets. He again took a hundred wickets in 1922. Gaining a regular place in the side in 1904, he continued playing for the county until 1926. Born on May 7, 1884, he was tried for Derbyshire when 17 years old, and so his career with the county extended over 25 years. Of stocky build, he bowled right-arm medium pace, with length as his chief asset. A steady bat, he could hit hard. He had been on the ground staff at Lord's for many years. He scored six separate centuries for Derbyshire, and four of these were made at Leyton off the Essex bowlers in consecutive seasons 1922 to 1925.

NICOLSON, MR. JOHN FAIRLESS WILLIAM, died at Kilkeel, County Down, Ireland, on December 18, aged 36. He had been on the staff of Mourne Grange School for three years. Born on July 19, 1899, he came to England in 1921, and went up to Oxford, where he played in the Seniors Match of 1923, and appeared for the University against the West Indies, but failed to get his blue. He made a lot of runs for Oxford Authentics and Blue Mantles, the famous Kent club. Returning to South Africa, Nicolson became famous by scoring with I. J. Siedle, 424 for Natal's first wicket against Orange Free State, at Bloemfontein, in the match which extended over New Year's Day, 1927. This opening partnership set up a record which still stands in the Currie Cup Competition, and Nicolson's 252 not out was the highest innings at the time; but it has been beaten since in this contest. During the next season, Nicolson played in three test matches against the England Eleven led by Captain R. T. Stanyforth, his best score being 78. An excellent left-handed bat, Nicolson had sound defence, and when hitting freely his best stroke was on the leg side.

PEARSON-GREGORY, MR. THOMAS SHERWIN, who died on November 25, aged 84, was in the Rugby eleven of 1869 when C.K. Francis, after taking 7 wickets for 25 runs and doing the hat trick in Marlborough's first innings, dismissed all his opponents at a cost of 15 runs--an astonishing performance giving him a match record of 17 wickets for 40 runs. For several years T. S. Pearson--his name before adding Gregory--played regularly at Lord's when M.C.C. and Middlesex put very strong sides in the field. One of his best innings was 121 for M.C.C. against Sussex in 1880. Ten years later he assisted Leicestershire his native county--he was born at Barnwell on June 20, 1851--and in 1902 he was the Nottinghamshire President. Over six feet tall T. S. Pearson hit hard in good free style and bowled slow round-arm. At Oxford he failed to get his blue but he played in many representative matches including some for England in the Canterbury Week. Adept at all court games he was champion of racquets at Rugby and in 1875 he played real tennis for Oxford against Cambridge.

PHILIPSON, MR. HYLTON, died in London after a long illness, on December 4, in his 70th year. Born on June 8, 1866, at Tynemouth, he went to Eton and gaining a place in the eleven as a batsman in 1883, he subsequently kept wicket besides going in first. In his third year he scored 141 against Winchester; 53 and 27 against Harrow. Illness prevented Philipson from playing cricket in 1886, but next year he got his blue at Oxford, and in 1889 he captained the eleven instead of W. W. Rashleigh, who was studying for the Church. He played his highest innings of 150 in 1887 for Oxford against Middlesex, taking part in a seventh wicket stand of 340 with K. J. Key, who scored 281.

Philipson created such an impression as wicket-keeper at Oxford that he played for the Gentlemen both at Lord's and the Oval in 1887. In these two games, the Gentlemen were very strong, and the Players had exactly the same eleven, all of whom played against Australia in England except Bates, who took part in the tour which brought back The Ashes by beating W. L. Murdoch's team twice in three matches. Bates contributed largely towards the triumph by taking 13 wickets for 102 runs in the second engagement. Included in this performance was the hat trick, Bates having as his victims three great batsmen: P. S. McDonnell, George Giffen and G. J. Bonnor. That was in January, 1883.

Philipson was in G. F. Vernon's team which went to India in 1889, and he paid two visits to Australia. On the first occasion, in the winter of 1891, Gregor MacGregor was chief wicket-keeper in Lord Sheffield's side, but three years later, when A. E. Stoddart took his first team to Australia, Philipson, after the opening test, was preferred to L. H. Gay, and figured prominently in a memorable rubber which ended with England winning the fifth and deciding match by 6 wickets. When 297 were wanted for victory, Albert Ward, Lancashire, and J. T. Brown, Yorkshire, made 210 for the fourth partnership,

These facts tell of Philipson's class. He was one of the very best wicket-keepers. Standing close to the stumps for most bowlers, he took the ball with easy grace and certainty. As a batsman he did not fulfil his early promise, but when in form he showed strong defence and could hit freely in front of the wicket. He played occasionally for Middlesex until 1898, and then for Northumberland, his native county.

While most famous as a cricketer, Punch Philipson held a prominent place in many other games. He earned the title of Racquets Champion at Eton and represented Oxford against Cambridge both at Racquets and in the Tennis singles and doubles. He beat Percy Ashworth for the Racquets Amateur Championship in 1891. C. Wreford-Brown gave him his Association Football blue as full back in 1889; so altogether Philipson played for Oxford against Cambridge at four ball games.

A contemporary and racquets partner considered Philipson the best all rounder he ever knew at Eton.

Lord Hawke, of Eton and Cambridge; the M.C.C. Treasurer and former Yorkshire captain, paid this tribute:--

Everyone loved `Punch.' I was very fond of him. He was a little after my time, but I know he was a very fine wicket-keeper and a great success in Australia. He was up against MacGregor. Comparisons are odious, but if it hadn't been for MacGregor, Philipson would have played in many more representative matches. He was a lovable personality.

RALLI, MR. EUSTRATIUS PANDELI CONSTANTINE, who died at Brighton on August 8, aged 76, batted with moderate success for Eton in 1873-74. He took a keen interest in racing.

ROBINSON, CAPTAIN LANCELOT CHARLES DIGBY, was killed with his wife in the Earthquake at Quetta on May 31, at the age of 29. A steady batsman, good field and slow bowler, he was in the Bedford School eleven in 1922; next year he headed the bowling averages and was second in batting. Going to Sandhurst, he made 143 against Woolwich at Lord's and R.M.C. won by ten wickets. He played several times for Bedfordshire.

ROUTLEDGE, MR. LEONARD ARTHUR who died on June 19, aged 71 was in the Harrow eleven of 1881.

RUGGLES-BRISE, SIR EVELYN, Bart., who died on August 18 in his 78th year, was a consistent bat for Eton in 1875-76, helping in two victories over Winchester and one over Harrow, his first match with Harrow being drawn. In the Wall game he was one of the few cases of a Colleger becoming an Oppidan.

SHARPE, REV. CHARLES MOLESWORTH, died on June 25 in his 84th year, having been born on September 6, 1851 at Codicote, Hertfordshire. Educated privately, he went to Jesus College, Cambridge and got his blue in 1875. A slow round-arm bowler with tremendous break, which was described at the time as very deceptive, he met with marked success when first appearing at Lord's against M.C.C. and a week later he took 5 wickets for 89 runs in Oxford's first innings and 6 for 66 in the second; but in a great finish Cambridge were beaten by 6 runs. As Sharpe made 35 runs for once out in a low scoring match, he was unfortunate to be on the losing side. The same season he appeared once for Yorkshire, but bowled without success and scored only 15. He played for Hertfordshire from 1884 to 1890. He was in the Cambridge Association Football Eleven of 1874 and 1875. Curate in turn at Sheffield, Huddersfield and Tankersley, he was Vicar of Elsecar, Barnsley from 1888 to 1922.

SPIRO, MR. DOUGLAS GRAY, died suddenly in London on January 16, aged 71. Born at Melbourne on December 21, 1863, he was educated at Harrow and played against Eton in 1881-82 and in his second year won the Ebrington Cup for batting. Going up to Cambridge he was handicapped by an accident, but got his blue in 1884, his only appearance in the eleven being against Oxford at Lord's. Earlier that season he scored 117 and 106 for Cambridge Athenæum against Bullingdon, Oxford. Strongly built, he hit hard in good style. A dashing fieldsman in the deep, he was a fair medium-paced bowler.

STEELE, MR. DAVID AUBREY, died on March 25, aged 65. Born on June 3, 1869, he first played for Hampshire when a second-class county in 1887 and between 1895 and 1906 he met with considerable success in first-class cricket. A free bat, with stubborn defence at times, he never quite realised expectations, his average for an aggregate of 3,448 runs being 14.13. Bowling fairly fast right hand with a low delivery, he took 136 wickets at 30 runs each. He sometimes kept wicket, sharing the duties at one time with Captain E. G. Wynyard and Mr. Charles Robson. At Southampton in 1897 when all the Hampshire eleven bowled against Warwickshire, Wynard and Steele each did successful stumping.

STODDART, MR. W. BOWERING, died on January 8, aged 63. A slow leg break bowler he played occasionally for Lancashire, and in 1898 at Scarborough for Gentlemen against Players and for M.C.C. against Australians. Captain of the Liverpool cricket and Rugby Football teams, he was a member of the Lancashire Cricket Club Committee. A strong forward, he played Rugby for Lancashire and for England in all the 1897 internationals. He was born on April 27, 1871.

TATE, FREDERICK, died on April 24, aged 90 years, having been born on June 6, 1844, at Lyndhurst. He bowled fast round arm and was a safe field, usually in the slips or at point. In his first match for Hampshire against Lancashire at Old Trafford on July 21, 1870, he took six wickets for 63 runs. A. N. Hornby scored 132 and Lancashire won by ten wickets. W. Hickton took all ten wickets, when Hampshire followed-on, at a cost of 46 runs. In Hampshire's first innings Hickton took 4 wickets for 27. After four seasons with Trinity College, Cambridge, as coach, Tate in 1873 began a long engagement with the Richmond Club, Surrey, where he lived for many years.

TURTON, MR. EDWIN ERNEST, who died at Ottawa on July 24, aged 74, was born at Ripley, Derbyshire. In the Civil Service he was associated with cricket in Canada for many years. A good batsman and bowler, he played for the Ottawa Club from 1887 to 1990. He was in the Eastern Canada team which played against Lord Hawke's Eleven in 1891, and played for Gentlemen of Canada against the Australians at Toronto in 1893.

TYLDESLEY, HARRY, one of four brothers from Westhoughton who have played for Lancashire, and of whom only Richard now survives, died at Morecambe on August 30, aged 42. Harry Tyldesley was on the ground staff at Old Trafford for many years and occasionally appeared for the county without doing anything of note. Unable to get a regular place in the county eleven, he played for several league clubs.

TYLECOTE, MR. CHARLES BRANDON LEA, died at Heacham, Norfolk on March 12, aged 87, four days after his brother H. G., passed away. Born at Marston-Moretaine in Bedfordshire on November 13, 1847, he went to Clifton College and was in the cricket eleven five years from 1863-1867. He was captain in his last two seasons and going up to Oxford played each year for the next Sixteen against the Eleven. The eldest of three brothers, who were all captains of the Clifton College Eleven, he played with the most famous E. F. S., the Oxford Blue and England wicket-keeper, for M.C.C. when first appearing at Lord's in 1874. A good average batsman, he bowled fast round-arm and could field anywhere-- as it was then said of him.

TYLECOTE, MR. HENRY GREY, died at Oxford on March 8. Born on July 24, 1853, he was in his 82nd year. Mr. Tylecote was in the Clifton College eleven from 1870 to 1873, being captain in his last two seasons, and he played for Oxford against Cambridge at Lord's in the next four years. A sound, patient batsman and a round-arm medium paced bowler, he kept wicket in his first years in the Oxford side but on his last appearance against the Light Blues he enjoyed a large share in his side's victory by taking nine wickets for 122 runs. Scoring 39 he helped F. M. Buckland in a stand of 142 for the seventh wicket which turned the game and Oxford won by ten wickets.

Henry Tylecote played for the Gentlemen against the Players at Prince's Ground in 1877 and two years later for South against North at the Oval, the match being for the benefit of James Southerton, father of the late Editor of the Almanack. Mr. Tylecote was the last survivor of those who took part in that game. Between the years 1876 and 1883 Henry Tylecote played for Bedfordshire and subsequently for Hertfordshire. He gained prominence in Athletic Sports by his prowess at throwing the cricket ball and as a half mile and mile runner. In 1877 he finished second in the mile to the Cambridge representative. Henry Grey was the youngest of three brothers of whom Mr. E. F. S. Tylecote played for England against Australia at Lord's and the Oval in 1886 and toured Australia with the England team in 1882-83. E. F. S. Tylecote played for Oxford against Cambridge from 1869 to 1872, being captain of the Dark Blues in his last two seasons.

The Captains in the 1877 match were A. J. Webbe, still President of Middlesex County, and W. S. Patterson, who after leaving Cambridge played for Lancashire and retains a close interest in the game. They are the only two survivors of the Gentlemen and Players match that same year at Lord's. All the Players are dead. Patterson took a leading part in a remarkable victory by one wicket. When the Players batted first he dismissed seven men for 58 runs. Thanks to 12 runs by him, going in number 9, the Gentlemen led by 6. Two wickets for 55 was then Patterson's share in dismissing the Players for 148. Although W. G. Grace scored 41, the Gentlemen wanted 46 when Patterson, going in last this time, joined G. F. Grace. Against wonderfully accurate bowling the runs were got slowly, Fred Grace with a 4 and a single winning The Glorious Match, as it was called, by one wicket.

UPHAM, MR. ERNEST FREDERICK, of Wellington, New Zealand, died on October 23, aged 62. A medium fast bowler, he took over a thousand wickets in club and representative cricket. Against the M.C.C. team of amateurs who toured New Zealand in the winter of 1906, he took 6 wickets for 78 in one innings for Wellington, and in the second of two Test matches, by dismissing 6 men for 84 in the England team's first innings, he helped appreciably in a victory, by 56 runs.

WALLACH, MR. BENJAMIN, who died at Johannesburg on May 25, aged 61 years, was reserve wicket-keeper to E. A. Halliwell in the South African team that visited England in 1904. He also played occasionally for London County.

WICKHAM, PREBENDARY ARCHDALE PALMER, died on October 13, aged 79, having been born on November 5, 1855, at Holmwood in Surrey. When playing for Marlborough against Rugby at Lord's in 1873 he went in first, but A. J. Webbe gave him his blue at Oxford as wicket-keeper in the 1878 eleven. During a long period as priest at Norwich and in Suffolk he played for Norfolk, while after becoming Vicar of Martlock he played for Somerset from 1891, being one of several capable wicket-keepers who appeared for the county. His figure behind the stumps with feet wide apart, legs straight, hands on his brown pads and wearing a Harlequin cap, lives in the memory as a notable figure on the Taunton ground when S. M. J. Woods captained a very strong Somerset eleven. In his University match at Lord's, which the particularly powerful Cambridge eleven, captained by the Hon. Edward Lyttleton won by 238 runs, he caught such noted batsmen as A. P. Lucas and the Hon. Ivo Bligh who brought back The Ashes from Australia and afterwards became the Eighth Lord Darnley and President of M.C.C. A. G. Steel took 13 wickets for 73 runs in the match and scored 44 not out in the Cambridge first innings. Mr. Wickham never tired of relating one remarkable experience. He kept wicket at Bristol in May, 1895, for Somerset against Gloucestershire, when W. G. Grace in scoring 288--his hundredth century--allowed only four balls to pass his bat. In the innings of 474, Wickham conceded only 4 byes.


Particulars of these deaths were received too late for inclusion in the ALMANACK of 1934:

BIRD, MR. WILLIAM HENRY BENBOW, who died on December 5, 1934, aged 77, was in the Winchester eleven of 1876.

BRIDGEMAN, MR. CHARLES GEORGE ORLANDO, who died on December 19, 1933, aged 81, was in the Harrow eleven of 1871.

CADOGAN, EARL, who was in the Eton eleven of 1888 when the Hon. Gerald Oakley Cadogan, died aged 64, in London on October 4, 1933. He was Chairman of the British Olympic Council and British representative on the International Olympic Council.

CLUTTERBUCK, CAPT., THOMAS RUPERT, died on February 8, 1933, aged 48. He played for Harrow in 1903, being a fair bat and change bowler.

ECCLES, MR. JOSEPH, died on September 2, 1933, aged 70, at Barton near Preston in Lancashire. Born at Accrington on April 13, 1863, he played for the county from 1886 to 1889. In 1887 he scored 677 runs in all matches with an average of 33, his best score being 113 at Cheltenham. In the following season, when he made 184 against Surrey at the Oval and 97 against Middlesex at Lord's, he headed the Lancashire averages with 27 for an aggregate of 525 runs. He was in the Gentlemen's Eleven which won at Lord's by 5 runs, the last four Players--Attewell, Peel, Lohmann and Flowers--falling at one total to C. Aubrey Smith and S. M. J. Woods.

GIFFARD, MR. WALTER JOHN FREDERICK, who was in the Harrow eleven of 1888, died in Guernsey on October 10, 1932.

HUTCHINGS, MR. FREDERICK VAUGHAN, was in Tonbridge School eleven and played occasionally for Kent in 1901 and 1905. Born on June 3, 1880 he was 54 when he died suddenly at Hamburg on August 6, 1934.

JUDD, MR. FRANCIS SAVILE HARRY, who died in a nursing home on May 12, 1933, aged 77, was contemporary with the Hon. Edward and Alfred Lyttleton in the Eton eleven of 1873-74.

MCNEILL, RT. HON., RONALD JOHN, BARON CUSHENDEN, who died at Cushenden on October 12, 1934, aged 73, was in the Harrow eleven of 1880.

MARTIN, MR. FRANK C., captain of Western Province, who scored two centuries in Currie Cup cricket, was drowned off Capetown on May 24, 1933.

MATTHEWS, MAJOR LLEWELLIN WASHINGTON, who died as the result of an accident on October 12, 1933, aged 73, was in the Eton eleven of 1877.

MOORHOUSE, LIEUT. COL., SIR HARRY CLAUDE, Kt. R. A., C.M.G., D.S.O., who was born on January 30, 1872, and played for M.C.C., died on December 16, 1934. He went to Brighton College.

MORRES, MR. HUGH FREDERICK MICHAEL, did not get in the Winchester eleven and was tried for Oxford University in 1898-99 without doing much. Played for Berkshire and Dorsetshire. He died on January 28, 1934, aged 58.

NORTHCOTE, DR. PERCY, played occasionally for Middlesex in 1888 and for Kent in 1889 and 1895. A prominent member of the Beckenham Club. A good free right-handed batsman, he bowled slow left. In 1894 against the first South African team to visit, England he made 42 not out and took 12 wickets at less than 7 runs each for Chatham and District. Born on September 18, 1866, he died on March 3, 1934, in his 68th year.

POST, MR. JOHN MORRIS, who was in the Eton eleven of 1875, died at Toronto on February 18, 1933.

RICHARDSON, MR. ALFRED GRAHAM, had his best season in England in 1897 when he scored 371 runs with an average of 21 for Gloucestershire. Born on July 24, 1874, he went to King's School, Canterbury and appeared in Cambridge University trial games before playing in turn for Bedfordshire, once for Somerset and for Gloucestershire. He batted well for Orange Free State during several seasons from 1904. Headmaster at Umtata High School from 1917 he died there on December 17, 1934, aged 60.

SEYMOUR, MR. CHARLES READ, who died at Winchester on November 6, 1934, was in his 80th year having been born on February 6, 1855. He failed to find a place in the Harrow eleven but, a batsman of more than average skill and a smart point, he played for M.C.C. and for Hampshire from 1880.

TUCK, COL. JOHN JOHNSON, who played for Winchester from 1863-65, died on February 4, 1933, aged 86.

VIBART, MR. RONALD FRANK, who died tragically at Taunton on July 30, 1934, aged 55, played at Lord's for Harrow in 1893 when 14. In his fourth year he captained the eleven with distinction averaging 49 and bowling with effect. Three times he won the Ebrington Cup for fielding and twice for batting. After spending some years in the Argentine he played as a professional for Cornwall. In 1911 he scored 149 against Berkshire at Reading; in 1913, when he made 125 not out against Devon at Camborne, he headed the County Averages with 32. An attractive batsman with excellent defence and freedom in stroke play, Vibart was a useful change bowler and a splendid fieldsman--very fast with safe hands. In 1896 Vibart won the Public Schools heavy-weight boxing competition. During the War he served in the Public School Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment.

© John Wisden & Co