Obituaries in 1932

BAGGALLAY, MR. ERNEST, born on July 11, 1850, died in London on September 9, aged 81. When a member of the Marlborough Eleven in 1868, he was described as a player who bats in good form with a straight bat; at times uncertain but often makes runs when most wanted. An excellent point. He was a son of the late Lord Justice Sir Richard Baggallay.

BAIRD, BRIG. GEN. ALEXANDER WALTER FREDERICK, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., born on October 2, 1876, was killed as the result of a motor accident on February 20. He appeared in the Eton Eleven in 1894 and in the following season, gaining his place as wicket-keeper. He was also a stubborn bat.

BARRETT, MR. JOHN STEPHEN, who died at Christchurch, N.Z., on February 19, was a well-known club cricketer in New Zealand. For a few years he acted as hon. secretary to the New Zealand Cricket Council of which body he at one period was chairman. By profession a lawyer, he owned several racehorses, including Count Cavour, a winner of the New Zealand Cup.

BENTINCK, MR. BERNHARD W., who died on June 27, aged 53, appeared for Hampshire in 1900 and for some time was President of the Hampshire Hogs C.C. Educated at Winchester, he possessed fine driving powers. Playing for Alton in August 1921, he had the unusual experience of being bowled by a ball (delivered by H. E. Roberts, the Sussex professional) which was deflected on to the wicket through striking and killing a swallow. Mr. Bentinck had been a member of M.C.C. for thirty years.

BISSET, SIR MURRAY, born at Port Elizabeth on April 14, 1876, died at Salisbury, Rhodesia, on October 24. At the time of his death he was Acting-Governor of Rhodesia. He captained Western Province for several seasons and when in 1898-99 Lord Hawke's team toured South Africa he played in two Test matches against them. In 1901, he led the South African team in England--the tour financed by J. D. Logan with Lohmann as manager. Extremely popular both on and off the field, he not only controlled the side with skill, but in all matches during the tour scored 1,080 runs with an average of 27. By brilliant hitting all round the wicket he put together, against Derbyshire, an innings of 184. Sir Murray was also a good wicket-keeper but, in view of E. A. Halliwell's consistent form that season, did not often take on these duties. His final appearance in Test cricket came in 1910against the M.C.C. team led lay Mr. H. D. G. Leveson Gower.

BLEACKLEY, HORACE WILLIAM, who died at Lausanne, Switzerland, on July 30, wrote Tales of the Stumps, More Tales of the Stumps and A Short Innings. He was educated at Cheltenham, Repton and Oxford.

BOURNE, ALFRED ALLINSON, died on July 17, aged 83. When at Rugby in 1863, he came to the fore as a slow;eft-arm bowler and going up to Cambridge he took part in the historic match of 1870 which Cambridge, largely owing to the splendid bowling of F. C. Cobden, won by two runs after Oxford got within five runs of success for the loss of seven wickets. Cobden took all three outstanding wickets in one over and in his own account of his historic over (in Fifty Years of Sport) wrote:-- Two bits of fielding by Bourne at critical moments turned the evenly-poised scale. In the penultimate over he saved an apparently certain 4 when fielding at short leg; and it was no ordinary catch which dismissed Butler, who hit at the ball for all he was worth and fairly got hold of it. Butler, the last man, was caught by Bourne.

BRADSHAW, MR. JOHN GERALD, who died on September 5, aged 71, was in the Clifton Eleven of 1879.

BYROM, MR. JOHN LEWIS, born at Saddleworth, Yorks., on July 20, 1851, died at Delph, near Oldham, on August 24, aged 80. A good average batsman, a medium-pace bowler and a smart cover-point, he appeared for Yorkshire in two matches during the season of 1874.

CARR, MR. PHILIP WILLIAM, who died at Hemingford Park, St. Ives, Hunts., on August 7, aged 72, was the father of A. W. Carr, the Notts captain. He was a former President of the Notts County Club.

CLARKE, MR. CHARLES FREDERICK CARLOS, born at Welton, Northamptonshire, on April 26, 1853, died at Sunninghill on January 29. He was one of the oldest members of I Zingari, the Free Foresters and M.C.C. He started the Silwood Park Cricket Club which numbered among its players R. E. Foster, H. K. Foster, B. J. T. Bosanquet and Aubrey Faulkner and was one of the very few cricket clubs which always used white stumps. Mr. Clarke played for Surrey between 1873 and 1882 and for Berkshire but he was more attracted by the brighter atmosphere of country house and club cricket. Closely associated with the Canterbury Week and the famous band of amateur actors--the Old Stagers--he was an accomplished actor and musician. A good batsman, wicket-keeper and a first-rate field, he scored 65 for Gentlemen of England v. Oxford University at Oxford in 1883 and in the same season 63 for M.C.C. v. Kent at Canterbury. A keen all-round sportsman, he had hunted with 33 different packs of hounds.

CRAWFORD, MR. HENRY LEIGHTON, C.M.G., died at Worthing on February 18, aged 75. He was educated at Clifton and Cambridge, and entering the Ceylon Civil Service ended his official career as Controller of Revenue. A fine all-round athlete, he played for Ceylon against the Australians, was one of the best tennis players in the nineties and for seven years was croquet champion of Ceylon. He was chess champion for 25 years and played for Gloucester and Sussex at chess up to his death.

CRAWLEY, MR. HENRY ERNEST, born at Highgate on August 19, 1865, died at Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey, on June 18, aged 65. A good free hitter and a useful fieldsman, he was in the Harrow Eleven in 1882 and 1883, being captain in the latter year. Serious illness kept him out of the team the following season. Winner of the Public Schools' Rackets with C. D. Buxton in 1883, he represented Cambridge at real tennis and won the M.C.C. Silver Racket three times. He was an uncle of C. S., A. M., and L. G. Crawley, all of whom have attained considerable fame in sports.

CUFFE, JOHN ALEXANDER, born at Toowoomba, Queensland, on June 26, 1880, was found drowned at Burton-on-Trent on May 16. A right-hand batsman, and a left-arm bowler on the slow side of medium pace, he appeared for New South Wales twice before coming to England where he played for Worcestershire regularly from 1905 until 1914. His highest innings was 145 v. Hampshire in 1905 and he had some fine bowling performances to his credit including the following:--nine for 38 v. Yorkshire at Bradford, 1907; nine for five v. Glamorgan at Cardiff, 1910, when he hit the stumps eight times and Glamorgan were out for 36; eight for 41 v. Gloucestershire at Dudley, 1911; and a hat trick against Hampshire at Bournemouth in 1910. In 1911, he scored 1054 runs and took 110 wickets while his record in all first-class matches was 7,512 runs (average 22) and 739 wickets (average 25). After playing in Lancashire League cricket, he was on the first-class umpires list from 1925 to 1927 and just before his death had taken up a post as coach at Repton School.

DALMENY, LORD, who died from blood poisoning on November 11, aged 21, won considerable distinction as a cricketer at Eton. In addition to being a free hitter, he was very effective with his fast medium bowling and could make the ball come back or swing away. Playing against Harrow in 1928, as the Hon. A. R. Primrose, he scored 4 and 19 and took four wickets for 87. The following season at Lord's, by brilliant driving mainly to the off-side, he hit 65 out of 116, including twelve 4's, off the Harrow bowlers, this score following upon an innings of 65 and a bowling record of four for 91 in the Winchester match. He finished the season with 299 runs, average 33.22, and thirty-eight wickets at a cost of 28.88 apiece. Lord Dalmeny made a few appearances in the Middlesex eleven and played in one match for Oxford in 1930. He became Lord Dalmeny in May, 1929.

DIXON, MR. JOHN AUGER, who captained Notts from 1889 to 1899, died at Nottingham on June 8, after being ill for a month. While Notts, like Yorkshire, always make a point of playing men born in the county, Mr. Dixon, as was the case with Lord Hawke Yorkshire's leader for twenty-eight years, first saw the light in Lincolnshire.

Born at Grantham on May 27, 1861, Mr. Dixon, building up a great reputation in club cricket, was tried for Notts in 1882, but failed to justify that distinction. Nervousness appeared to prevent him from reproducing for the county the ability he displayed in minor cricket. Indeed, he continued to disappoint expectations, but in 1887, called upon in an emergency to play for Notts against the M.C.C. at Lord's, he scored 89 against several of the finest bowlers of the day. Having at length done himself justice, he never looked back, playing with much consistency for sixteen seasons.

A fine free batsman, with the off-drive and the cut as his best strokes, he timed the ball admirably, and when occasion demanded he could also play quiet, sound defensive methods. He was always a good hard-working field and as a bowler of medium pace with a high delivery he proved quite skilful. Against Lancashire at Trent Bridge in 1887 he performed the hat-trick.

His biggest innings--268, not out, against Sussex at Trent Bridge in 1897--extended over part of three days. In the same summer he made 102 and 91 in a match with Kent at Gravesend and finished the season with an aggregate of 1100 and an average of 44. Another fine score to his credit was 165 against Kent at Canterbury in 1898. He appeared eleven times for the Gentlemen in opposition to the Players.

Mr. Dixon also made a name for himself in Association football, and appeared for England against Wales at Blackburn in 1885. As a club player he assisted Notts County.

DYKE, RT. HON. SIR WILLIAM (7th Bart.), born at St. Mary Cray, Kent, on August 7, 1837, died at Dartford on July 3. A member of M.C.C. since 1857, he saw about eighty matches between Eton and Harrow. Was President of M.C.C. in 1880 and of Kent in 1884. Although gaining little distinction at cricket, he was undoubtedly one of the best rackets players.

EILOART, RONALD EDWARD, died at South Brent, Devon, on March 23, aged 44. He was in the Harrow Eleven from 1904 to 1906 and in the first innings against Eton in the latter year scored 54. He was also a first-class Fives player and he and E. H. Crake were the first pair ever to beat the Eton pair at Fives at Eton. In the Great War he served with the Irish Guards and the Machine Gun Corps.

ELLIOT, MR. EDGAR WILLIAM, born at Roker, Sunderland, on July 9, 1879, died in February, aged 51. An attractive bat with plenty of strokes, a splendid field and a useful change bowler of medium to fast pace, he was in the Wellington eleven in 1894-5-6. Between 1897 and 1907 he played for Durham, whom he captained for several seasons. Against Lancashire Second Eleven at Sunderland in 1906 he put together a score of 217 not out and for the whole season had an aggregate of 763, average 40.15. Playing for Borderers against Newcastle Garrison at Newcastle in July, 1905, he hit up 332 in three hours and three-quarters. A great all-round athlete, Mr. Elliot gained England International Rugby honours as a three-quarter with Durham. In 1901, he played against Scotland, Ireland and Wales and he also took part in the England v. Wales match of 1904.

FIFOOT, MR. FRANK, who died at Cardiff on January 2, aged 69, was one of the founders of the Glamorgan County Cricket Club. In his younger days he played in the South Wales C.C. team and appeared in matches at Lord's and the Oval.

FITZGERALD, MR. MAURICE OTHO, born on November 27, 1845, died on August 4. He was a member of the Uppingham XI in 1862 and 1863 and was also on the original Committee of Uppingham Rovers. In Lillywhite's Annual of 1863, he was described as an improving player, having a very neat style of batting; was very destructive towards the end of the season with his slows; also takes point well. He had been President of the Athletic Association of the National Provincial Bank for the last 28 years and took the keenest interest in the development of that side of the Bank's activities.

FORD, MR. AUGUSTUS FRANK JUSTICE, born on September 12, 1858, died on May 20, aged 72. Scores and Biographies describes him as a capital and effective batsman, a middle paced round-armed bowler with a curious preliminary hop, and in the field good, though taking no particular place. At Repton, he was in the Eleven in 1874-5-6-7, being captain in the last two years. Going up to Cambridge, he got his Blue as a freshman in 1878 and played the next three seasons. His best performance in the' Varsity Match was in 1881 when he scored 34 and 24 and took two wickets. In that season he made his highest score in first-class cricket--102 v. Surrey at the Oval. For Middlesex, whom he assisted from 1879 to 1882, he showed himself a first-rate slip fieldsman and caught seven men in a match against Gloucestershire at Lord's in 1882. His best bowling feat in first-class matches was accomplished in 1880 when at the Oval he took thirteen Surrey wickets for 82.

GIFFORD, MR. JAMES, who died at Buenos Ayres on April 18, aged 67, was captain of the Buenos Ayres C.C. in his early days and often appeared in representative cricket against visiting teams.

GOOCH, REV. FRANCIS HARCOURT, born on May 20, 1842, died on April 3. One of the founders of Inter-University sports, he was captain of Durham School XI in 1861 and a member of M.C.C.

HAMILTON-HOARE, MR. HENRY WILLIAM, born on April 1, 1843, died in London on September 7. In the Eton XI (as H. W. Hoare), of 1860 and 1861, he was contemporary with R. A. H. Mitchell, Hon. T. de Grey and Alfred Lubbock. Against Harrow in 1861, he hit 51 in the second innings--the highest individual score in the match.

HANSARD, MR. HUGH H., born at Colombo on October 6, 1869, died at Montreal on January 9. A good bat and a capital field in the country, he was in the Malvern Eleven in 1886 and two following years. He played a good deal in Canadian cricket and in 1893 appeared for Canada against the United States.

HEARNE, MR. GEORGE FRANCIS, born at Stoke Poges on October 18, 1851, died on May 29, aged 79. A member of the famous cricket family he played in M.C.C. matches for thirty-two years and altogether his service with M.C.C. extended over forty-six years. A useful bat and bowler, he once hit a hundred for Ealing and District v. M.C.C. at Lord's. As pavilion clerk at Lord's from 1873 to 1908, he was well known to all first-class cricketers and during that time was captain of the St. John's Wood Ramblers (now Cross Arrows C.C.) for thirty-six consecutive seasons.

HENDERSON, ROBERT, a member of the Surrey Eleven during the great years of the side when led by Mr. John Shuter, first played for the county in 1883 at the age of eighteen. He was an excellent batsman, generally able to give of his best when most was required of him, a useful slow bowler in his early years of first-class cricket and a thoroughly sound, if scarcely brilliant, fieldsman. In his first season with Surrey he scored 581 with an average of 15 and took thirty-five wickets at a cost of 18 runs apiece. Against Gloucestershire that summer, in a match, which W. W. Read and Maurice Read finished off by hitting up 141 runs in sixty-five minutes, Henderson took six wickets in the second innings for 17 runs.

Bad health prevented Henderson from playing regularly until the season of 1887 and, though he was occasionally called upon in 1896, his last season before losing his form was that of 1893. Altogether during the period that Henderson was a member of the county eleven Surrey won the Championship seven times, and in 1889 tied with Lancashire and Notts for first place, this being the only break of uninterrupted headship of the tournament during six consecutive seasons. So powerful were Surrey at that time that it was a great distinction to belong to the side. Henderson kept his place because of his consistent scoring and splendid nerve. As an example of his ability to do himself full justice at a crisis may be mentioned his innings of 59 not out against Yorkshire at the Oval, in what is still known as the Gaslight Match, the gas-lamps in the road circling the Oval having been lighted for some time before the end was reached. Thanks to Henderson's determined batting, Surrey won by two wickets, Henderson finishing the match with a cut to the boundary when it was difficult to see the ball. Again, in 1893, when Surrey twice beat the Australians at the Oval, Henderson scored 28 and 15 in a small scoring game which the county won by 58 runs, and in the return match he made 60 not out and 14 not out.

Altogether, between 1883 and 1896, he made 5,061 runs for Surrey with an average of 19, among his scores being three separate hundreds at the Oval--106 v. Somerset, 105 v. Hampshire and 133 v. Scotland. During one winter he went to India to coach the Parsees, was paid great honours on his departure, and on his return was given--by his Surrey colleagues--the name of Framjee. Born at Newport, in Monmouthshire, on March 30, 1865, Robert Henderson went to live at Beddington as a boy, and in local cricket for his choir he scored many runs and took wickets very cheaply. Always maintaining his association with church work, Henderson for many years was Warden of Beddington Parish Church, and chorister and churchwarden over a period of 56 years. He died on January 28 at Wallington.

HILDYARD, REV. LYONEL D'ARCY, M.A., who died suddenly at Rowley Rectory, Hull, on April 22, aged 70, was in the Oxford XI, in 1884-5-6. He was a freshman in 1884, when a remarkable entry of first-class young cricketers made the Oxford team, under M. C. Kemp, the most successful that ever represented the University before or since. Assisted by T. C. O'Brien, K. J. Key, J. H. Brain, E. H. Buckland, H. O. Whitby, and others, Oxford won seven matches out of eight, among their defeated opponents being the Australians, who lost to them by six wickets. No Australian XI, since then has been beaten by either University. Hildyard was fortunate to get his Blue, for he only came into the side at the last minute, mainly owing to the failure of A. R. Cobb who, coming up with a great reputation from Winchester, could make no runs at Oxford. In 1885, when Oxford fared very badly, Hildyard came to the front and, though he did little against Cambridge, headed the batting averages with an aggregate of 262 runs and an average of 29. In 1886 without doing anything special he was well worth his place in the team. He also played occasionally for Somerset and for Lancashire. A useful player with a sound defence, he was also an excellent field at point, standing close in and making many fine catches. He was at one time a minor canon of Windsor and afterwards rector of Rowley, East Yorkshire, where members of his family have been rectors for several centuries.

HOARE, MR. ROBERT BASIL, born on August 16, 1868, died on May 12, aged 60. A free and attractive bat and useful slow bowler when at Harrow he scored 108 against Eton in the match of 1888, and he and F. S. Jackson bowled their opponents out in the second innings for 52. Hoare took four wickets for 21. Against Eton the next season he scored 35 and five not out and secured three wickets for 65, Harrow winning both matches with Eton while he was in the Eleven.

HODGSON, REV. RICHARD GRAVES, born at Winchester on March 9, 1845, died at Canterbury on November 1, aged 86. A good average batsman, he made several appearances in the Kent Eleven under the captaincy of Lord Harris but did little of note. When playing for St. Lawrence Club against Cavalry Depot in July, 1888, he hit up 245 and carried his bat. He stood over six feet. Joining the staff of the King's School, Canterbury, in 1868 he in 1879 became first head master of the Junior King's School, holding that office until 1908. Altogether he was on the Cathedral foundation for over 60 years.

HOPKINS, MR. ALBERT J., born at Sydney on May 3, 1875, and died there on April 25. A right-hand slow-medium bowler with a pronounced swerve and break from the off, a brilliant field and a forceful batsman, he was one of several good all-round cricketers who came to England in 1902 under the captaincy of Joseph Darling. During that tour he scored 1,192 runs (average 25.91) and took thirty-eight wickets (average 17.60). He made two other visits--in 1905 and 1909--but in the latter tour did not show anything like such good ability in batting as when previously in England, his aggregate runs amounting to only 432. Altogether he took part in seventeen Test Matches, scoring 434 runs and taking twenty-one wickets. On one occasion he earned great distinction. In the second Test Match at Lord's in 1902, when play was restricted to an hour and three-quarters on the opening day, Darling, to everyone's surprise chose Hopkins to open the bowling from the Pavilion end, although such capable men as Saunders, Armstrong and Noble were there to share the attack with E. Jones. As it happened, C. B. Fry made a wretched stroke to short-leg and Ranjitsinhji was bowled off his pad, both these famous batsmen failing to get a run. A. C. Maclaren and F. S. Jackson took the score to 102, and that was the extent of the cricket in that game.

As it happened Hopkins did not get another wicket in Test Matches during that tour. His highest innings in this country was 154 against Northamptonshire in August, 1905, when the Australians ran up the great total of 609. He usually went in first for New South Wales, and against South Australia at Adelaide in December, 1908 he played a great innings of 218, his partnership with Noble yielding 283 runs for the second wicket in two hours and fifty minutes. This brilliant display was characteristic of his forcing game. His record in Sheffield Shield cricket was 1,594 runs at an average of 30.65 and ninety-six wickets, average 22.57.

JOHNSON, MAJOR-GENERAL FREDERICK FRANCIS, C.B., C.B.E., D.L., born on May 1, 1852, died on September 6. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven of 1870.

KEMPSON, RT. REV. EDWIN HONE (late Bishop of Warrington), born April 10, 1862, died at Pewsey on September 5. Educated at Rugby and playing in the Eleven in 1879-80-81, he scored 31 and 34 against Marlborough in 1881 and headed the school batting averages. He was a fine field at cover.

KOTZE, MR. J. J., whose death in Cape Town occurred on July 8, was born on August 7, 1879. He was thus within a month of completing his 52nd year.

The fastest bowler who ever played in important cricket in South Africa, Kotze paid three visits to this country--in 1901, 1904 and 1907. He did very well in his first season in England, taking seventy-nine wickets in all matches with an average of 20.58 and 49 in first-class matches with an average of nearly 25. His best year was his next, however, when in first-class matches he dismissed 104 men for 20.50 runs apiece, and in all matches 117 at a cost of 19.34. On the occasion of his third visit, when the season was very wet and South Africa had those four wonderful bowlers R. O. Schwarz, A. E. Vogler, G. A. Faulkner and Gordon White, Kotze was not called upon to do anything like the same amount of work. He played in only one of the Test Matches--the first time representative engagements between England and South Africa took place in this country. In first-class matches he took twenty-five wickets and thirty-seven in all matches.

Kotze could with perfect justice be included among the first half-dozen of the fastest bowlers seen. On the hardest pitches he was able to make the ball turn, for he possessed that great and essential attribute of a fast bowler--a fine body swing. Having regard to the very long run he took, it was quite remarkable how he maintained his pace, and often when he had been bearing the brunt of the attack for considerable periods during the day, he would go on again late in the afternoon and bowl as fast as ever.

It is doing him no injustice to say that he did not like being punished, and on more than one occasion he got a little disheartened when he had catches missed of him in the slips. The ball, however, always went at terrific speed to the fieldsmen, and it is likely that had it been possible for him to field to his own bowling his opinions on the catching of his colleagues would not have been quite so scathing. Despite Kotze's tremendous pace, Halliwell, in keeping to him, used to stand up to the wicket. Of all cricketers in this country who played him with ease, K. S. Ranjitsinhji, turning the ball to fine leg in masterly fashion, stood out by himself. On one occasion--in the concluding match of the 1904 tour at Hastings-- G. L. Jessop scored l59 out of 237 and hit Kotze to all parts of the field. Actually, at one time, Kotze had four men fielding deep.

Kotze was nothing of a batsman while his fielding was clumsy. He played in the Second and Third Test Matches against Australia in South Africa in 1902.

LEAF, MAJOR HENRY MEREDITH, D.S.O., born at Scarborough on October 18, 1862, died in London on April 23. He played for Marlborough at cricket, tennis and rackets. A batsman above the average, a slow round-arm bowler and a good field at point, he appeared in the Marlborough XI in 1880 and 1881. Subsequently he played a good deal for Free Foresters and also for Wiltshire and Essex. He had a splendid record in the Great War.

LYTTELTON, REV. HON. CHARLES FREDERICK, born on January 26, 1887, died in London on October 3. Although a really good fast bowler he missed getting into the Eleven at Eton but at Cambridge, in 1908, met with more success and in a very close match which Oxford won by two wickets he took five wickets for 85. In a drawn game at Lord's next season he did not get a wicket. He occasionally assisted Worcestershire.

LYTTELTON, GENERAL RT. HON. SIR NEVILLE GERALD, P.C., G.C.B., G.C.V.O., born at Stourbridge on October 28, 1845, died July 6, aged 85. A good free hitter, he did not greatly distinguish himself at Eton where he was in the eleven in 1862-3-4. His best performance against Harrow was in 1863 when in the second innings he scored 26. A member of M.C.C. from 1868, he played occasionally for Worcestershire.

MCGIVERIN, MR. HAROLD BUCHANAN, one of the best slow bowlers Canada ever had, died at Victoria (British Columbia) on February 3. As a boy of seventeen he played for Canada v. United States in 1887 and he frequently took part in matches against visiting teams for England and Ireland. Born at Ontario on August 4, 1870 he was a past President of the Canadian Cricket Association.

MAYNARD, MR. EDMUND ANTHONY JEFFERSON, who died on January 10, was a useful bat and change slow bowler when in the Harrow XI of 1879. He assisted Derbyshire from 1880 to 1887, being captain in 1885. Against Surrey at the Oval in 1883, he hit a score of 84. He was born at Chesterfield on February 10, 1861.

MUSGROVE, MR. HENRY, who died at Sydney in November, came to England in 1896 as manager of the Australian team captained by Harry Trott. The tact and courtesy of the manager in carrying out the arrangements contributed largely to a very pleasant tour. Mr. Musgrove was not in any way distinguished as a player.

NORMAN, MR. PHILIP, LL.D., F.S.A., whom Alfred Lubbock described as one of the best bats at Eton in his time, died in London on May 17, aged 88. A member of a famous cricket family, he received valuable coaching from Caffyn and played against both Winchester and Harrow in 1859 and the following year. Although occasionally assisting the Gentlemen of Kent, he was not seen in County cricket; indeed, after leaving Eton he did not have much time to play although when in Spain and India he enjoyed a little cricket. Mr. Norman was the first non-Harrovian to be elected a member of the Perambulators. He wrote a good deal on the game and also published many books on antiquarian and topographical subjects. He was born at Bromley, Kent, on July 9, 1842.

PALMER, REV. CANON HENRY, born on September 6, 1835, died on August 29. He was a member of the Marlborough Eleven in 1854.

PEMBERTON, MR. RALPH HYLTON, who died on January 11, aged 66, was in the Eton Eleven of 1882-3. His best performance was 31 in the second innings against Winchester in the latter year.

PENTELOW, MR. JOHN NIX, a great authority and a prolific writer on the game, died at Carshalton Beeches, Surrey, on July 5, aged 59. He was a frequent contributor to Cricket, of which he was Editor and proprietor from January, 1912, Lillywhite's Annual and The Cricketer and to Wisden. Among his best-known publications are:-- England v. Australia (two editions); Australian Team of 1899, Cricket's Guide to Cricketers, Who's Who In the Cricket World, Australian Cricket Teams in England and Historic Bats. He was born at St. Ives, Hunts., on March 26, 1872.

PHILLIPS, MR. CHARLES BANNERMAN, who died at Guildford on May 6, aged 82, played for Winchester against Eton in 1865-6-7, being captain in the last year. Although not much of a bat he was a good wicket-keeper. For many years he was a master at Winchester.

POIDEVIN, DR. L. O. S., whose death occurred in Sydney on November 18, was a thoroughly sound and watchful, if not particularly attractive batsman, being quite content, however long he had been at the wicket, to play the good ball but rarely failing to punish anything loose. He had already made a name in New South Wales cricket when he came to England to study medicine. At that time Australia as well as England were very rich in first-class batsmen, and Poidevin did not enjoy the distinction of making a mark in Test cricket, but in the Australian season of 1901 he took part in what then was the record score for an innings. New South Wales put together 918 and his 140 not out was the fifth century obtained, the others being 168 by Syd Gregory, 153 by M. A. Noble, 119 by R. A. Duff and 118 by Frank Iredale. South Australia were beaten by an innings and 605 runs, one of the most overwhelming victories ever obtained in cricket. This score has twice been excelled by Victoria with 1,059 against Tasmania at Melbourne and again four seasons later in December, 1926, with 1,107 against New South Wales at Melbourne.

First assisting London County Poidevin qualified for Lancashire and during the seven seasons--1902 to 1908--he scored 5,925 runs with an average of nearly 30 an innings. In his first season in County Cricket-- 1904--he helped Lancashire to carry off the Championship, his contribution to the side's efficiency being 865 runs with an average of 34. Next year Poidevin headed the Lancashire averages with 44 and the highest aggregate of 1,376 runs, his personal success being the more remarkable as it surpassed the effort of such great batsmen as J. T. Tyldesley, Mr. R. H. Spooner, Mr. A. C. MacLaren and John Sharp who followed in the order named. That summer, in the course of a fortnight at the end of June, he made 122 against Somerset at Taunton, 168 not out against Worcestershire at Worcester and 138 against Sussex at Manchester.

Poidevin batted in a style typical of Australian cricket of that era. Of moderate build, he had a very strong defence and he made runs steadily all round the wicket by orthodox strokes. A good field anywhere, he occasionally bowled slows with some success. Born on November 5, 1876, he had at the time of his death just completed his 55th year.

SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN, H.H., ALBERT JOHN CHARLES FREDERIC ALFRED GEORGE, DUKE OF, who was in the Charterhouse XI of 1888, died in Berlin on April 27. He was a good average batsman.

SEWELL, MR. W. A., President of the Natal Cricket Association, died on July 28. Hon. Secretary of the Cape Town C.C. for six years he acted as manager to several teams that toured the Union, including the M.C.C. sides of 1922-3, 1927-8and 1930-31. He also took a prominent part in Rugby football administration, especially in Natal. Mr. Sewell was born at Cape Town on August 11, 1868.

SHREWSBURY, WILLIAM, an elder brother of Arthur Shrewsbury, was born at New Lenton on April 30, 1854, and died at Fiskerton on November 14 in his 78th year. A good batsman, without attaining to anything approaching the excellence of his famous brother, he played in a few matches for Notts in the seventies, making his first appearance for the county at Lord's in 1875, in the game in which Alfred Shaw in the second innings bowled 166 balls for seven runs and seven wickets. William Shrewsbury's highest score for Notts was 34 against Lancashire at Trent Bridge in 1876. At Lord's that year for Colts of Notts and Yorkshire against Colts of England he put together a score of 88. While he met with little success in county cricket, he played many long innings in local club matches.

SNOW, MR. SAMUEL C., who died at Venezuela on September 8, represented British Guiana in the Inter-colonial cricket competitions held between Barbados, British Guiana and Trinidad. He also played for Jamaica.

STEVENSON, MR. LOUIS EDGAR, B.A., M.B., B.C., who died at Temple Sowerby, Westmorland, on August 19, played for St. Peter's School, York, in 1883 and getting a Rugby blue at Cambridge (1884-5) represented Scotland against Wales in 1888.

STOEVER, MR. DAVID PORTER, well known in cricket circles in Philadelphia where he died on February 17, aged 67, came to England with Philadelphian teams in 1884 and 1889. In the former year he made 100 against Scarborough and 106 v. Cheshire; on his second visit he hit up 115 not out v. Dublin University. Rather cramped in style, he could cut well and was a first-rate cover point. He was born on April 6, 1865.

STUDD, MR. CHARLES THOMAS, the youngest and most famous of three brothers all of whom played for Eton, Cambridge University and Middlesex, was born at Spatton, Northants., on December 2, 1860, and died at Ibambi in the Belgian Congo on July 16. Each of the three brothers enjoyed the distinction of captaining the Cambridge Eleven--G. B. in 1882, C. T. in 1883 and J. E. K. in 1884. J. E. K., the eldest--Lord Mayor of London in 1929--left Eton in 1877 but did not go up to Cambridge until 1881. All three figured in the Eton Eleven of 1877 and also in the Cambridge Elevens of 1881 and 1882.

A great batsman, a fine field and a high-class bowler, C. T. Studd developed his powers so rapidly that, while still at Cambridge, he was in the best Eleven of England. He possessed a fine upright style in batting and was particularly strong on the off-side. He bowled right-hand rather above medium pace and, tall of build, brought the ball over from a good height.

In 1882 he made 118 for Cambridge University and 114 for the M.C.C. against probably the strongest bowling Australia ever sent to this country, the side including, as it did, Spofforth, Palmer, Boyle, Garratt and Giffen. That year he also scored 100 at Lord's for Gentlemen against Players, yet he finished the season ingloriously at Kennington Oval with the memorable match which England lost by seven runs. bowled by Spofforth in the first innings without scoring he, in the second innings, despite the two hundreds he had hit against the Australians earlier in the summer, went in tenth and, when the end came just afterwards, was not out 0. For all that he ranked high amongst the best of the all-round cricketers of his time--particularly during his years at Cambridge where he had a batting average of 30 in his first season and one of 41 for the next three summers. In 1882, moreover, he took forty-eight wickets for the University at 16 runs apiece and in 1883 forty at 14 runs apiece, while in his last three years at Cambridge he obtained against Oxford at Lord's twenty-seven wickets for less than 12 runs each. For Middlesex his best seasons were 1882 and 1883. In the former year he had a batting average of 23 and obtained fifty-eight wickets at an average cost of 14 runs and, in the latter, his batting improved to 51 runs an innings and his bowling resulted in fifty-six wickets for 17 runs each. Among his bowling performances were:--four wickets for eight runs when assisting Middlesex against Surrey at the Oval in 1880, eight wickets for 40 runs ( Cambridge against Lancashire) at Manchester in 1882, eight wickets for 71 runs ( Middlesex v. Gloucestershire) at Cheltenham in 1882 and thirteen wickets for 147 runs ( Gentlemen of England v. Cambridge University, at Cambridge in 1884. He was a member of the team taken out to Australia in the winter of 1882-83 by the Hon. Ivo Bligh. This side, if beaten by Australia, won two matches out of three against the men who had visited England in the previous summer and so were acclaimed as having brought back The Ashes.

Unhappily for English cricket C. T. Studd was not seen in the field after 1884. Feeling a call for missionary work, he went out to China in connection with the China Inland Mission and there remained from 1885 to 1895. Invalided home, he engaged in missionary work in England and America and after 1900 with the Anglo-Indian Evangelization Society. Later on the state of the multitudes of the Belgian Congo, which had not been touched by any missionary agency, made such strong appeal to him that he went out to that uncivilised region and, despite numerous illnesses and many hardships, devoted the remainder of his life to missionary work there.

THORNTON, MR. ALBERT J., a brother of R. T. and W. A. Thornton, but in no way related to C. I. Thornton, died in London on June 14, aged 75. A good and free hitter and a useful lob bowler, he played a good deal of cricket for Devon (in 1874), Gentlemen of Hampshire, Sussex and Kent. Playing for Sussex in 1880, and in the following season, Mr. Thornton afterwards appeared in the Kent eleven and between 1884 and 1891 he took part in twenty-three matches, his highest innings being 137 against Sussex at Hove in 1887. He went to America with E. J. Sanders' team in 1885 and ten years later was a member of the side that visited Portugal under T. Westray.

TORRENS, MR. WILLIAM MATT, who died on February 18, was in the Harrow XI of 1886 and 1887. Wicket-keeping was his forte. During the season of 1890 he played in four games for Kent. He was born at Hayes on October 19, 1869.

WALKER, MR. NORMAN STEWART, a good all rounder and primarily a bowler, learned the game at Rugby, but played most of his cricket in the United States. The mainstay of the Staten Island C.C. he appeared against some of the visiting Irish, English and Australian teams. Born in New York City on March 18, 1856, he died on January 26.

WALLACE, COLONEL NESBIT WILLOUGHBY, C.M.G., who helped to form the Green Jackets C.C. of which club he was Hon. Secretary from its inception until 1894, died at Guildford on July 31. Benefiting from coaching by John Lillywhite, he played occasionally for Rugby in 1856 but did not take part in the match with Marlborough. A good bat, he could also bowl lobs and did the hat trick when playing for South Wales v. M.C.C. at Lord's in 1863. Military duties prevented him from playing regularly in county cricket but he assisted the Knickerbockers, Incogniti, Anomalies, Southgate and United Services (Portsmouth). He was born at Halifax, Nova Scotia, on April 20, 1839.

WEAVER-ADAMS, DR. EDMUND, F.R.C.S., who died at Llandrindod Wells on September 24, was a former captain of the Slough C.C. and played for Buckinghamshire for many years. In August, 1912, Dr. Adams (114) and T. R. Kent (200 not out) shared in a fourth wicket partnership of 309 for Slough v. Northern Polytechnic at Slough.

WILLS, MR. CHARLES PERCY, born on December 18, 1870, died on January 2. He was in the Harrow Eleven of 1889with F. S. Jackson and A. C. MacLaren and against Eton scored 50 and 28 not out. Described as a very painstaking cricketer, capital bat, playing very straight: a very fair point; bowls a little, he appeared in the Cambridge Freshmen's Match of 1890 but did not get a blue.

WISTER, MR. ALEXANDER WILSON, who died at Philadelphia on February 6, aged 91, was one of the founders of the Germantown C.C. in 1859.

WOODS, MR. SAMUEL MOSES JAMES, one of the most famous and popular of athletes, a splendid cricketer and a great Rugby football forward, was born at Glenfield near Sydney on April 14, 1867, and died on April 30 at Taunton. A player of grand physique, cheery disposition, and unflinching courage, he was generally at his best against the strongest and never knew when he was beaten. Although essentially an all-rounder and a most efficient and inspiring captain, it is on his bowling that his fame will chiefly rest. He was fast and accurate and had at his command not only a deadly yorker but also a slow ball which was as formidable and deceptive as any he sent down. Unquestionably he reached a measure of excellence which entitled him to a place among the great fast bowlers of all time.

Essentially a forcing batsman Woods drove tremendously hard especially to the on. He used his reach, great strength and sure eye to hit at the pitch of the ball without leaving his crease. Often he knocked the most accurate bowlers off their length and he could cut any short ball with a swing of his massive shoulders and arms, sending the ball at tremendous speed past cover-point. While Woods preferred the fast scoring game he could, in case of need, adopt a sound, correct method and then he excelled in off-side driving. As with age his effectiveness with the ball declined he used the bat to greater purpose. His highest scoring season was 1895 when he made 1,405 runs with an average of 34. This he surpassed four years later with a record of 40 an innings.

He received his early education at Sydney Grammar School and Royston College, Sydney, and at the latter institution showed such ability as a bowler that in 1883 he took seventy wickets for five runs each and on one occasion obtained seven wickets in seven balls.

He came to England in 1884 and went to Brighton College where he and G. L. Wilson stood out as two of the best Public School cricketers of the season. In the following summer for Brighton College Woods obtained seventy-eight wickets for seven and a half runs apiece, getting fourteen--all bowled--in the match with Lancing College, and, in addition to achieving so much as a bowler, showed no little ability as a hard-hitting batsman while, later on, he developed into a brilliant field at cover-point or extra mid-off and a sure catch. He began to play regularly for Somerset in 1887 but a year earlier had figured at Portsmouth in a match between the fifth Australian team and a side got together by G. N. Wyatt, a prominent amateur who appeared first for Gloucestershire, afterwards for Surrey and finally for Sussex. While reaching double figures in each innings and taking two wickets, Woods accomplished nothing of much note on that occasion, but on going up to Cambridge in 1888 he, in the course of very few weeks, made himself certain of his Blue. For four years he appeared for the University and, during that period, secured 190 wickets for less than 15 runs apiece, while in the four encounters with Oxford at Lord's, of which three were won and one drawn, he obtained thirty-six wickets for something under nine runs each. Cricket has presented no more exhilarating sight than the University match of those days with Woods bowling his hardest and Gregor MacGregor keeping wicket in that famous player's masterly fashion.

Woods did little as a batsman against Oxford, but in his last year when Cambridge--set 90 to make to win--had lost eight wickets for 89, he went in and hit the first ball he received to the boundary. He was Cambridge captain in 1890 when the Light Blues proved victorious by seven wickets.

Although earning great fame as a bowler at Cambridge and repeatedly chosen to assist Gentlemen against Players--he and F. S. Jackson bowled unchanged in the match of 1894 and were mainly instrumental in gaining in single innings victory over the professionals-- Sam Woods' career was essentially identified with Somerset, for whom he appeared from 1886 to 1907, acting as captain in 1894 and taking over the duties of Secretary until 1923. His biggest score was one of 215 which he hit against Sussex at Hove in 1895, the total meanwhile being increased by 282 in two hours and a half. Three years later, on the same ground, he made 143 out of 173 in two hours and a quarter off the Sussex bowlers.

Among his many bowling feats, in addition to his great performances for Gentlemen v. Players, was the taking of all ten wickets for 69 runs in an innings for Cambridge against C. I. Thornton's Eleven--fifteen wickets in the match for 88 runs--at Cambridge in 1890. Two years earlier in a contest against another side got together by C. I. Thornton he performed the hat-trick, and in 1891 at the Oval against Surrey he obtained fourteen wickets for 11 runs each.

He played for the Australians in this country several times in 1888 and participated in several tours abroad, going to America in 1891 and to South Africa in 1896-97 with teams led by Lord Hawke, to the West Indies with a side captained by Sir A. Priestley and to America again in 1899 when Ranjitsinhji was in control.

In the course of his career he made nineteen 100's--eighteen of these for Somerset--scored in all 15,499 runs with an average of 23 and took 1,079 wickets for 20 runs apiece. Over six feet in height, he weighed in his cricket days thirteen stone and a half.

His career as a Rugby Football player naturally did not extend over so many years as his cricket life, but he attained the highest honours at the winter game, playing for Cambridge against Oxford in 1888 and in the two following years and being capped for England thirteen times in the days when there were only three International encounters each season. Four times he played against Scotland between 1890 and 1895, five times against Ireland and four times against Wales. Tremendously strong and very fast, he possessed all the qualities necessary and, in his quickness in breaking away, was, after Frank Evershed, one of the most famous of wing forwards in the comparatively early days of the Rugby game. He also played Rugby for Somerset and appeared at Association football for Sussex. In the War he served in the Somerset Light Infantry and in the Devon Regiment.

Particulars of the following Deaths were received, too late for publication in WISDEN'S CRICKETERS' ALMANACKof 1931:--

COBB, MR. HERBERT ENFIELD, who died on December 29, 1930, aged 64, was in the Rugby Eleven in 1883 and 1884.

LAINSON, MAJOR JOHN ARTHUR, who died on December 31, 1930, within a few weeks of his 86th birthday, was the oldest member of the Bury and West Suffolk C.C. for which he played in a memorable match when W. G. Grace was in visiting M.C.C. team. Educated at Harrow and University College, Oxford, he had been a member of M.C.C. since 1873.

© John Wisden & Co