Obituaries in 1927

AINSCOUGH, MR. THOMAS, who was born at Lancaster House, Parbold, on February 23, 1865, died there on November 20, aged 62. Although he played only occasionally for Lancashire, he rendered much service to the county's cricket both as captain of the Second Eleven and as a member of the Committee. Many times he appeared in big matches for Liverpool and District teams, and in games against Yorkshire made scores of 61 not out, 50 and 61.

ALLSOP, MR. GEORGE, born at Houghton, Hants., on Janùary 4, 1864, died at Johannesburg on March 27, at the age of 63. He made no mark in the game in England, for he emigrated to South Africa in 1881, living first in Cape Colony and settling in Johannesburg (where he was destined to spend the rest of is life) in March, 1888. Summed-up as A sound, defensive bat, safe catch and good field, he played several seasons for the Transvaal, and in the Currie Cup match against Kimberley in April, 1891, scored 21 and 33. It is not, however, as an active cricketer that he will be best remembered. He was Secretary of the Wanderers C.C., of Johannesburg, for thirty-one years (1896 until his death), he served on Selection Committees appointed to choose South African and Transvaal elevens, and he was manager--and a very popular one--of the teams which visited England in 1904, 1907, 1912 and 1924. He was also Secretary of the South African Cricket Association.

ARKWRIGHT, MR. CHARLES LEIGH, who was born on June 6, 1846, died at Brighton on December 21, aged 83. His slow bowling gained him a place in the Harrow teams of 1864 and 1865, and in the former year he was very successful against Eton, his figures being five for 34 and six for 29. As he also scored 14, he had much to do with Harrow's win by an innings and 66 runs. He did not obtain his Blue for Oxford, and the most important of his subsequent cricket was played for Herefordshire. He was a younger brother of Henry Arkwright, who bowled with success for Harrow, Cambridge and the Gentlemen.

BAGNALL, MR. THOMAS, born at Manchester on March 6, 1875, died at Arlington, New Jersey, on January 28, aged 51. He played with the Columbia Oval C.C., of which he was President in 1916, 1917, 1918 and 1922. He was a very prominent figure in the American Football world.

BAGSHAW, HENRY ( HARRY), born at Foolow, Tideswell, Derbyshire, on September 1, 1861, died at Crowden, near Glossop, on January 31, aged 65, and was buried in his umpire's coat and with a cricket ball in his hand. He was a free-hitting batsman well above the average, a medium-paced bowler and a hard-working field in the slips: in batting he was left-handed, but in the other departments of the game right-handed. His first match for Derbyshire, though he had appeared for the Colts seven years earlier, was in 1887, and his last in 1902. Among his many good scores may be mentioned 96 and 90 not out v. Essex at Derby in 1893; 127 not out v. Yorkshire on the same ground in 1895; 121 v. Leicestershire and 115 v. Yorkshire, both at Derby, in 1896; 124 v. Leicestershire at Derby, 114 not out v. Surrey at the Oval, and 105 v. Hampshire at Southampton, all in 1897; and 100 not out v. Yorkshire at Harrogate in 1898. In 1900 he took five wickets for 27 runs v. Hampshire at Southampton and four for 16 v. Warwickshire at Glossop. For many years--until the end of 1923--he was an umpire in great matches. Whilst engaged by the Barnsley C.C. he scored 220 against Crofton Wanderers in August, 1888, and took all ten wickets in an innings against Wakefield in 1891.

BASTOW, JOHN, born at Bromley-by-Bow on October 30, 1850, died in a nursing-home on June 1 at the age of 76. A useful batsman and wicket-keeper, he played for Middlesex in 1874, 1875 and 1877, heading the averages in the first-mentioned year. His highest innings were 35 v. Surrey on Prince's ground and 28 and 34 not out in the return at the Oval. Later on he assisted Essex.

BATTY-SMITH, MR. HENRY, formerly proprietor and editor of The Sportsman, died at Shinfield Grove, Berks., on May 21. In his younger days he had been a good cricketer, attaining considerable skill as a batsman and wicket-keeper, although taking part in no matches of note. He was for a time a member of the controlling body in billiards.

BEACHCROFT, SIR CHARLES PORTEN, who died on May 15, aged 56, was in the Rugby School Eleven of 1890 and played for Clare College, Cambridge. He had been a Judge of the High Court of Judicature at Calcutta.

BEVES, MR. GORDON, born at Brighton on March 15, 1863, died at Johannesburg on March 22, aged 64. He learned the game at Leys School and, developing into a useful all-round player, took part in various great matches with success in South Africa, his most pleasant experience being to captain the Transvaal team which won the Currie Cup in 1895. His best innings in first-class cricket was 60 for the Transvaal v. Griqualand West at Cape Town in April, 1898. He was a well-known figure in the game, and had served as Chairman of the South African Cricket Association. Before settling in South Africa he had been associated with the Notts. Forest Amateurs, heading their batting averages with 31 in 1884, when he played an innings of 177 v. Forest United, and their bowling averages a year later. He appeared a few times in the Nottinghamshire Eleven between 1888 and 1891, and also played Rugby Football for Sussex and Old Leysians.

BIRD, ALBERT, born at Moseley, on August 17, 1868, died on June 17, after a very long illness, at the age of 58. Playing for Warwickshire from 1887 until 1890, and for Worcestershire from 1892 onwards in both its second and first-class days, he will be remembered as an excellent slow right-handed bowler and a safe field. For the latter county he and Mr. E. G. Bromley-Martin bowled unchanged throughout v. Hampshire at Worcester in 1897, a year later he had an analysis of four for 12 v. Glamorgan on the same ground, and at Southampton in 1901 he obtained fourteen Hampshire wickets for 109 runs--seven for 53 and seven for 56.

BISHOP, MR. CHARLES, who died at Cheltenham in January, in his 95th year, had played for the old South Wales Club, Carmarthenshire and Herefordshire.

BLACKETT, MR. BASIL JOHN, born on June 23, 1886, died at Pinner on April 22, aged 40. He played for Eton against Winchester in 1904 and 1905, but against Harrow in the latter year only, when his average for the side was 18.45. Later on he played some county cricket for Hertfordshire.

BONHAM-CARTER, MR. LOTHIAN GEORGE, who died at Buriton House, Petersfield, on January 13, aged 69, was in the Clifton College Eleven in 1876, and played subsequently in a few occasions for Hampshire.

BOTTING, STEPHEN, born at Higham in 1845, died at Shorne, near Gravesend, on January 23, aged 81. A useful batsman and medium-paced round-armed bowler, he played for Kent twice--in 1867 and in 1875.

BOYINGTON, FREDERICK, born at Nottingham on November 9, 1848, died in a nursing-home at Peckham on May 5. Above the average as a wicket-keeper and a good field anywhere, he was tried for the Nottinghamshire Colts, but never played for the County. Keeping wicket in an eleven-a-side match for Victoria against Wilford on the Nottingham Meadow ground in or about the year 1865, he dismissed eight men in an innings by catching and stumping. In 1860, whilst still a boy, he had helped to found the Notts Castle C.C., which was known as the Castle Gate C.C. until 1875. In the early days of the organization--there were then no Saturday half-holidays--the members used to play from six until eight o'clock in the morning, each match being spread over three days. During the long period of forty-four years that he was official scorer to the Surrey County C.C., he carried out his duties in three tie-matches all at the Oval-- Gentlemen v. Players in 1883, and Surrey against Lancashire and Kent in 1894 and 1905 respectively. The Surrey C.C.C. voted him a pension of a pound a week early in 1925, and on the August Bank Holiday that year, on the second day of the match with Nottinghamshire, a collection made at the Oval for him realized £105 11s. He had a wonderful fund of anecdote of cricket and cricketers.

BRIERLY, MR. EDGAR, born in 1858, died at Rochdale on January 25, aged 68. He was in the Rugby Eleven in 1877.

BROOKS, MR. RICHARD, born at Sutton-on-Sea, in Lincolnshire, on July 29, 1863, died in London on April 9. After being in the Cranleigh School Eleven for several seasons, he developed into one of the best wicket-keepers of the day, but his duties as a solicitor prevented him from appearing frequently in first class matches. He played, however, for Surrey against Gloucestershire at the Oval in 1889, and later for London County, while at Lord's in 1901 he kept wicket for England v. Yorkshire and at the Oval a year later took part in the Gentlemen v. Players match. Whilst assisting London county against Worcestershire at the Crystal Palace in 1900 he did not allow a single bye in totals of 208 and 177. Being unable to spare time to appear in many three-day matches, he was obliged to content himself with taking part chiefly in good-class club games. For the Wanderers he was very successful, once obtaining as many as nine wickets in a match and several times six in succession. In one season he did not allow a single extra in nine consecutive innings. He was, too, well above the average as a batsman. It may be added that, although he was generally known as R. B. Brooks, he had only one Christian name.

BUCHANAN, MR. THOMAS GEORGE, born on February 28, l866, was found dead on the railway near Stourbridge on March 15, whilst away on sick leave. He was in the Marlborough Eleven of 1884, and played hockey for England in 1895 and 1896.

BURKE, MR. DANIEL, born in Tipperary, Ireland, on June 26, 1827, died at Moltema, near Hobart, on August 14, aged 100. In his younger days he had been a representative Tasmanian cricketer, and he had lived for ninety-eight years in the island where he had played a prominent part in public life.

BURY, THE REV CANON WILLIAM, born at Radcliffe-on-Trent on October 14, 1839, died at Borough Green, Sevenoaks, on May 21, aged 87. He was educated privately, but, being a fine, free and powerful hitter and a magnificent field--he was known as Deerfoot--obtained his Blue for Cambridge in 1861, playing against Oxford both that year and the next. Cambridge were very strong about that time, and among Bury's contemporaries were H. M. Plowden, A. W. T. Daniel, the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton, R. Lang and Clement Booth. Both games against Oxford were won, that of 1861 by 133 runs and the one of 1862 by eight wickets. His scores in those matches were small--only 2, 11, and 14--but his cricket generally was good enough to secure him a place in the Nottinghamshire team each season. In consecutive games on the Trent Bridge ground in 1862 he scored 121 for Gentlemen of North v. Gentlemen of South, and 121 for Midland Counties Diamonds v. Free Foresters, having the bowling of V. E. Walker to contend with in the former match and that of David Buchanan in the latter. Entering the Church, he early gave up playing in great matches, though he made a few fugitive appearances for Northants. He was younger brother of the late Rev. T. W. Bury, a Cambridge Blue of 1855.

CAWSTON, SIR JOHN WESTERMAN, K.C.B., who died at Felixstowe on April 21, aged 67, was a member of the Clifton Eleven of 1878. He was also Head of the School and Captain of Football.

CHATFIELD, MR. KYRLE MITFORD, born on December 8, 1840, died at The Argoed, Monmouthshire, on January 24, aged 86. He was in the Marlborough College Eleven in 1860, and was the last surviving member of the team. He was then summed-up as An excellent long-stop, and very fair bat, with a good back defence.

COPPINGER, EDWARD THOMAS, born at Bexley on November 25, 1846, died at Surbiton on February 26, aged 80. A useful all-round player and a good wicket-keeper, he was a member of a cricketing family and himself appeared in two matches for Kent in 1873. In the second innings of the game with Surrey at the Oval he had an analysis of five for 29. In 1890-1 he was Mayor of Kingston-on-Thames.

CURTEIS, MR. ROBERT MASCALL, born at Windmill Hill, near Hailsham, on October 12, 1851, died at Uckfield on January 21, at the age of 75. A free-hitting batsman and a good field, he was a member of the Westminster Eleven in 1867 and three next years, being captain in 1870, and played in half-a-dozen matches for Sussex between 1873 and 1878. His highest score for the county was 41. At Eastbourne on May 22, 1875, he played an innings of 200 not out for Devonshire Park against the 5th Batt. R. A.

DEERHURST, VISCOUNT (GEORGE WILLIAM COVENTRY), born on November 15, 1865, died in a London nursing home on August 8, aged 61. For several years he was Chairman of the Worcestershire County C.C. Committee. He was eldest son and heir of the Earl of Coventry.

DIGBY, MR. REGINALD, born at Tittleshall, in Norfolk, on April 30, 1847, died at Highwood, Colehill, Wimborne, on September 29, at the age of 80. A sound batsman with a finished style and a good field at cover-point, he was a member of the Harrow Eleven in 1866, in which year, scoring 38, he contributed to the defeat of Eton by an innings and 136 runs. Proceeding to Oxford, he gained his Blue as a Freshman in 1867, and in his three games against Cambridge had the melancholy experience of being on the losing side each year. His name will be found in the Norfolk team between 1866 and 1868, but he took part in no important cricket after leaving the University. He was younger brother of the late Sir Kenelm E. Digby, who also played at Lord's for both Harrow and Oxford.

ELERS, MAJOR CHARLES GEORGE CAREW, born at Lyme Regis on January 2, 1868, died at Torpoint, Cornwall, on December 11. An excellent wicket-keeper and a good batsman, with strong driving power, he played for both Devon and Glamorgan. For the latter county against Carmarthenshire at Swansea in 1910 he made a score of 151.

EVANS, CANON THE REV. FREDERIC RAWLINS (a nephew of George Eliot), born at Griff House, near Nuneaton, on June 1, 1842, died at Bedworth Rectory, Warwickshire, on March 4, aged 84. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a good bat, having patient defence, combined with great power of hitting; and is also a sure field, often (when not bowling) at long-leg. Is most noted, however, as a high and fast round-armed bowler, occasionally difficult to play. It was at Rugby, where he was coached by Alfred Diver and Tom Hayward (of Cambridge), that he began to distinguish himself. He was in the Eleven there in 1860 and 1861, having been previously at Cheltenham College. In 1863 and two following seasons he was in the Oxford Eleven under R. A. H. Mitchell, and in his three matches against Cambridge, all of which were won by Oxford, he scored exactly a hundred runs with an average of 20. Very little bowling indeed fell to his share in those games, the reason being that Mr. Mitchell was not quite sure whether his action would satisfy the umpires. Umpires' decisions were then apt to vary; in the 1863 match Mr. Collins was no-balled for getting his hand above his shoulder. When Mr. Evans assisted the Gentlemen at Lord's, in 1865, on his only appearance against the Players, he obtained seven wickets for 83 runs, the Gentlemen, after losing 19 matches off the reel, winning by eight wickets. After leaving Oxford Mr. Evans played most of his important cricket for the Free Foresters, Warwickshire, and Worcestershire. He was for 38 years Rural Dean of Monks Kirby and for nearly 21 years an Honorary Canon of Worcester. He had been Rector of Bedworth since 1876.

FIRTH, MR. ALFRED, who died at Wyke, Bradford, in his 80th year, on January 16, played for Yorkshire v. Surrey, at the Oval, in 1869.

FORMAN, MR. ARTHUR TEMPLE, died at Haslemere on May 30, aged 46, of tuberculosis arising from sickness contracted in Mesopotamia during the War. He was a powerful hitter, though some-what impetuous, with a strong off-drive, and fielded excellently at point. His batting gained him a place in the Shrewsbury Eleven in 1898 and two next seasons. He was the second son of the late Rev. A. F. E. Forman.

FORESTER, MR. TOM who died on Dec. 27 after a long illness, played first for Warwickshire and afterwards for Derbyshire. A useful left-handed bat, he was better known as a right-handed medium pace bowler. He had a peculiar action which made him appear at times as though he delivered the ball with his right foot in front. He made the ball swerve and got on an appreciable amount of spin. His best season was in 1911. At the outbreak of War he enlisted, and subsequently reached the rank of Major, being awarded the D.S.O. Born on Sept. 21, 1873, he was in his 55th year at the time of his death.

FORSTER, MR. THOMAS HENRY BURTON, born at Holt, in Wiltshire, an October 23, 1850, died at his native place in June, aged 76. A free hitter, and a good field at long-leg and cover-point, he was a member of the Winchester Eleven of 1869.

FRAZER, MR. JOHN EWAN, ( Winchester, Oxford University and Sussex). Cricketers and many others must have been shocked by the tragic death of Jack Frazer (aged only twenty-five), the result of a ski-ing accident on January 2, at Davos Platz. Few of his generation can have equalled the promise shown by him for all round genius and ability. A double Blue (for Cricket and Association Football), a Balliol Exhibitioner, and a first-class in the Schools. At Winchester he was, until his last year, a really fine left-handed bowler above medium pace, an invaluable forcing batsman with all the typical left-hander's shots, and a fine fieldsman. In the Eleven three years, he had the satisfaction of playing in sides which beat Eton in 1919 and 1920. It is safe to say that had not his bowling almost mysteriously deserted him--possibly a result of gymnastics--he would have been in the first flight of all rounders. As it was he got his Blue (in 1924) as a batsman in spite of trouble with his eyes, and in that as in the two previous seasons, he rendered useful service to Sussex after the Oxford term. In 1924 on the East Grinstead ground he scored 228 not out, in two hours and a quarter, for the local Club against Sussex Martlets. He was born at Lydney, on April 22, 1901 D.R.J.

FULLER, MR. GEORGE PARGITER, born at Bayton House, Wilts, on January 8, 1833, died at Neston Park, Corsham, on April 2, aged 94. In Scores and Biographies, he is said to have been A good and free hitter, a slow round-armed bowler, and in the field was generally short-slip. Whilst at Winchester, where he was in the Eleven in 1850 and two following years, he received some coaching from the famous William Lillywhite. In 1851 he took nine wickets against Harrow and five against Eton, and in 1852 seven against Harrow and seven against Eton. Winchester lost both games of 1850 and were successful in the other four. He was an Oxford Blue of 1854 and 1855, and in each year was on the successful side in the game with Cambridge, although he himself did comparatively little. He was High Sheriff for Wilts. in 1878 and M.P., in the Liberal interest, for West Wilts. from 1885 until 1895.

He trained specially for the last mentioned game, being then within a week or two of completing his forty-fourth year. Most remarkable of all, perhaps, was his all-round performance in scoring 161 out of a total of 586, and 41 in a total of 166 for Australia v. Stoddart's team at Sydney in December, 1894, as in that match he also took eight wickets, and yet was on the losing side. The bowling of Peel and Briggs on a ruined pitch won the match for England by 10 runs. In the winter of 1883, at Sydney, for the fourth Australian team against the Rest of Australia, Giffen took all ten wickets in an innings for 66 runs. He had his greatest success as a bowler in England during the season of 1886, when sixteen Derbyshire wickets fell to him for 101 runs, and in five consecutive innings he dismissed forty batsmen at a cost of 222 runs. He did the hat trick three times--for South Australia, against G. F. Vernon's team, at Adelaide, in 1887-88 against Lancashire, at Manchester, in 1884; and against an England eleven, at Wembley Park, in 1896. Altogether in first-class matches, Giffen scored 12,501 runs, at an average of 29, and took 1,109 wickets, at a cost of 21 runs each. In matches between Australia and England he made 1,238 runs, and took 103 wickets, In 1922-3 the match at Adelaide between South Australia and Victoria was played for his benefit, and the resulting sum, £2,020, was vested in trustees. After being a Civil Servant in the General Post Office at Adelaide for 43 years, he retired on pension in March, 1925, thereafter finding the chief delight of his life, whilst health permitted, in coaching young boys in a purely honorary capacity.

GREEN, MR. GEORGE BUCKLAND, who died on June 2, aged 62, whilst practising at the nets at Oxford, had been for long a familiar figure in the game in Scotland. For twenty-five years he was Honorary Secretary of the Grange C.C., for which club he also played, and in 1921 was President of the Scottish Cricket Union.

GRENFELL, MR. JOHN SIDNEY GRANVILLE, born at Exmouth, on November 30, 1864, died at Nice on April 12, aged 62. A good wicket-keeper and a useful, if somewhat uncertain, batsman, he was in the Sherborne Eleven in 1882 and 1883 and subsequently captained St. John's College, Cambridge.

GRIFFITH, MR. CHARLES HERBERT ERSKINE, who was born in Bengal and educated at Bridge of Allan School and Dulwich College, died at Saranac Lake, N.Y., on March 2, aged 58. Settling in the United States in 1887, he played first for the Montclair Athletic Club and later for the Knickerbocker A.C. and the Staten Island C.C. He had the reputation of being a good wicket-keeper and a batsman of dashing methods.

GROUBE, MR. THOMAS UNDERWOOD, born at Taranaki, New Zealand, on September 2, 1857, died at Glenferrie, Victoria, on August 5, aged 69. He was a steady batsman, a medium-paced bowler, and a very good field at cover-point and long-on. As a member of the Australian team of 1880, he had the distinction of taking part in the first Test-match ever played in this country. His highest innings in England was 61 in the match with Yorkshire at Huddersfield. For the East Melbourne C.C. he had a batting average of 155.33 for the season of 1879-80, and for that side against South Melbourne on the latter's ground in March and April, 1884 he scored 101 and 98, in the second innings adding 174 for the last wicket with Mr. G. Gordon.

HAMILTON, LORD GEORGE FRANCIS, G.C.S.I., third son of the first Duke of Abercorn, was born at Brighton on December 17, 1845, and died in London on September 22, aged 81. Scores and Biographies described him as A hard hitter, an active field, generally at cover-slip, and an exceedingly straight and fast under-hand bowler. In 1862 he only just failed to secure a place in the Harrow Eleven. He had been a member of the M.C.C. for sixty-four years, and in 1881 was the Club's President. He had served on the Committee of the now long-defunct Prince's Club, and in 1919 was President of the Kent County C.C. From 1876 until 1906 Lord George was Vice-President of the Middlesex C.C.C. He held office as First Lord of the Admiralty for six years, and was Secretary of State for India for eight. At Chislehurst in 1864 he did the hat-trick for Peripateties v. West Kent.

HARDWICK, MR. HAROLD GEORGE COOKE, born on September 17, 1862, died at Frenchgate, Richmond, Yorks, on September 13, aged nearly 65. He was described as An excellent slow round-armed bowler breaking considerably both ways, a fair bat but slow field. In 1879 he was the surprise find of the season at Marlborough where, at the beginning of the year, he was not even in his House Eleven. Against Cheltenham he took six for 51 and six for 17, in the second innings bowling unchanged with E. Peake (four for eight), while in the match at Lord's with Rugby his figures were seven for 58 and six for 61.

HARTLEY, MR. CHARLES R., born at New Orleans. U.S.A., on February 13, 1873, died at Brooklands, Cheshire, on November 15, aged 54. He was an elder brother of Mr. Alfred Hartley and, being a sound batsman with plenty of strokes, he played frequently for Lancashire, his first appearance for the county being in 1897 and his last in 1909. His best season was that of 1900 when, in all first-class matches, he obtained 1,084 runs with an average of 30. That year he played three three-figure innings, making 139 v. Gloucestershire at Bristol, where he and Albert Ward added 211 together for the sixth wicket, 104 v. Leicestershire at Leicester, and 109 v. Derbyshire at Glossop. In 1901, when he scored 112 against Gloucestershire at Gloucester, he and Mold put on 101 together for the tenth wicket. C. R. Hartley was also for some time a prominent figure in the Rugby Football world, playing for Cheshire and, in 1900 and 1901, at full back for North against South.

HENRY, MR. WILLIAM ALEXANDER, K.C., who was born at Antigonish, Nova Scotia, on March 19, 1863, and died at Halifax, N.S., on December 11, aged 64, after a long illness, was a good batsman, an excellent field at point, and at times a useful change slow bowler. He obtained his colours for Merchiston Castle in 1880, and completed his education at Harvard University. For the Wanderers C.C., of Halifax, he obtained many large scores, the highest of them being 225 not out, against the Garrison in 1904, and he also played for Canada against United States. In 1887--when he was a member of the Canadian Team which visited England--he headed the averages with 25.85 without a not-out innings to help him. His highest scores during the tour were 88 v. Gentlemen of Gloucestershire, at Yatton, 77 v. Durham, and 76 v. Gentlemen of Scotland. He made his 88 in forty-six minutes, scoring 27 off two four-ball overs. He was an all-round athlete.

HIRST, THOMAS HENRY, born at Meltham Mills on May 21, 1865. died at Huddersfield on April 3. He appeared in one match for Yorkshire in 1899. He played frequently for the Second Eleven of the County, and for some time was engaged by the Uddingston C.C, in Scotland.

HOLMES, MR. MONTAGUE, who died At Winnipeg on March 29, aged 63, had ranked in his time as one of the best wicket-keepers in Canada. He took part in many international games and in 1898 was a member of the Manitoba team which toured the United States. He was an Old Cliftonian.

HUNTER, DAVID, born at Scarborough on February 23, 1860, died suddenly at his native place on January 11, aged 66. In 1888 he succeeded his brother Joseph as the Yorkshire wicket-keeper and he retained the position until 1909, taking in all matches for the county during that period 1,272 wickets--920 caught and 352 stumped. He was quiet, sure and neat in his methods and his hands never sustained any deformity or serious injury, notwithstanding the great amount of work he got through. In Hall's benefit match--against Surrey at Sheffield in 1891-he caught five men and stumped one in an innings; in a game with the same county at Bradford seven years later he claimed eight of the twenty wickets, catching two and stumping six; while in his last season, 1909, he made six catches in the course of an innings against Surrey at Leeds. Although he appeared several times for the Players, he was never chosen for a Test-match or a tour abroad. Without ever being a great batsman, he often played a most useful innings and in county games took part in stands of 153, 148, 121, 118 and 102 for the tenth wicket. In eight different seasons he assisted Yorkshire to win the Championship, and when he was accorded his benefit match--v. Lancashire at Bradford in 1897--he received £1,975. He always played the game in the best possible spirit, and was deservedly popular.

JAMES, GEORGE EDWARD, who died suddenly at Chislehurst, on September 12th, aged 61, had been groundsman and umpire to the West Kent C.C. for over thirty years.

JELLICOE, THE REV. FREDERICK GILBERT GARDINER, born at Southampton on February 24, 1858, died in Guy's Hospital, London, on July 29, aged 69. It was said of him: An average batsman, right-handed, but excels principally as a middle-paced left round-armed bowler, while in the field he is often short-slip or short-leg. After being in the Haileybury Eleven in 1875 and 1876, he obtained his Blue for Oxford as a Freshman and played against Cambridge in 1877 and 1879. In the two matches he took five wickets for 25.60 runs each. For his University v. Gentlemen of England at Oxford in 1879 he had an analysis of eight for 36, and for Hampshire (whom he assisted from 1877 until 1880) he took five for 14 v. M.C.C. at Southampton in 1880. He was elder brother of Admiral of the Fleet, Earl Jellicoe.

JOHNSON, MR. ROBERT BAINES, who died in London on December 16, aged 65, had been a free-hitting batsman and a good field. For three years, 1878 to 1880 inclusive, he was in the Forest School Eleven. At Oxford he obtained his Blue for Association Football. At the time of his death he was Chairman of Committee of the Essex County C.C.

JUPP, MR. ARTHUR DENYS, who died very suddenly from pneumonia at Oxford on February 2, aged 24, was a useful all-round player, despite the fact that he had a withered right hand. His left-handed bowling was his chief asset. In 1921 he was a member of the Tonbridge School Eleven, and later he played for the Oxford Authentics and Old Tonbridgians.

KNAPP, MR. CHARLES ARTHUR, born in Lincolnshire on November 27, 1845, died in Wellington (N.Z.), on September 8, aged 81. He had lived in New Zealand for over fifty-six years, and played for Wellington in representative matches. Against Hawke's Bay in 1873-4, he took four wickets for 14 runs. He was a member of the Management Committee of the Wellington C. A., and for a long period acted as its Chairman. He was educated at Lancing and Oxford.

LAMBERT, WILLIAM, born at Hatfield, Herts., on April 19, died at St. Fagan's near Cardiff, on March 4, aged 83. It was said of him, Is an excellent batsman, bowls middle-paced round-armed, and fields generally at slip. He played occasionally for Middlesex in 1874, 1875 and 1877 and the first-mentioned year made 34 not out v. Surrey at the Oval and 28 v. Yorkshire at Scarborough. He also appeared for Hertfordshire. His brother, George Lambert, was Tennis champion of England.

LATHAM MR. FENTON HENRY, who died in New Zealand on May 11, aged 49, as the result of a mountaineering accident, was a member of the Winchester Eleven of 1896, being a fair batsman, a useful, if erratic, left-handed bowler, and a safe field and catch. Against Eton he atoned for being dismissed without a run by taking five wickets for 50. His batting average for the season was 23.50, and he obtained thirty-one wickets for 19.39 runs each. His father was a Cambridge Blue of 1873 and 1874.

LEESE, MR. VERNON FRANCIS, born at Sidmouth on February 20, 1870, died at Alassio on August 3, aged 57. He was summed-up as: A good and free hitter, could bowl slows, and fielded well, though in no particular place. In 1886 and two following years he was in the Winchester Eleven, being captain in 1888, when he scored 30 and 14 against Eton and was first in the averages with 31.16. He was tried for Cambridge, but did not secure his Blue, his most important cricket subsequent to his leaving Winchester being for Devon. His brother, Mr. W. H. Leese, was in the Winchester Elevens of 1886 and 1887: they were sons of the late Sir J. F. Leese, Bart, who had played for lancashire.

LLEWELYN, SIR JOHN TALBOT DILLWYN, 1st Bart, born at Penllergaer, Swansea, on May 26, 1836, died at his native place on July 6, aged 91, Scores and Biographies said of him: A good average bat, a middle-paced round-armed bowler, and in the field is generally short-slip. He was not in the Elevens either at Eton or Oxford, but for some years captained South Wales and played for Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire and Brecon. For South Wales against the Gentlemen of Kent, at Gravesend in 1865 he took eight wickets in an innings. He was father of the late Mr. W. D. Llewelyn, of Eton and Oxford, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1870. In 1878 he was High Sheriff for Glamorgan.

MACKIE, MR. EDWARD DACRE, born on April 9, 1868, died on January 27, aged 58. In 1886 he was a member of the Harrow Eleven. It was said of him: Was Unfortunately disabled during part of the term; a strong bat with plenty of driving power; bowls slow round, but is rather erratic; good field and catch. He was in the Football Eleven, 1884-5.

MACKIE, THE REV. OSBERT GADESDEN, born on August 23, 1869, died on January 25, aged 57. When he was in the Haileybury Eleven of 1887 he was summed-up as: A useful and hard-hitting bat; a good field; has kept wicket. His record was a somewhat modest one, although he scored 25 against Wellington.

MARSH, MR. JOHN FREDERICK, born at Thame, in Oxfordshire, on May 11, 1875, died at Higham Hall, Nuneaton, on October 30. A batsman with a dogged defence and no pretensions to style, he made history by playing a record innings in the inter-University match of 1904. In Oxford v. Cambridge at the Wicket the event is chronicled thus: J. F. Marsh (aged 29) established a new record for these games by making 172 not out, which exceeded R. E. Foster's 171 in 1900. Valuable time, however, was lost in enabling this personal distinction to be gained, the closure being postponed too long to enable the side to win. Marsh, who opened the innings, batted five hours ten minutes, hit twenty-three 4's, and was missed when 90. It was a sound display. With K. R. B. Fry, who hit ten 4's, he added 97 for the sixth wicket in seventy-five minutes, and with F. J. V. Hopley the same number without being separated for the ninth in 45. Educated at Amersham Hall, he scored 98 in the Freshmen's match of 1901, but, in spite of that innings, did not get an extended trial for Cambridge until three seasons later. For many seasons--for the first time twelve years before he received his Blue--he played for Oxfordshire, captaining the side for a short period. From 1904 to 1915 he was an Assistant Master at Rossall.

MARSHAM, MR. GEORGE, born at Allington Rectory, near Maidstone, on April 10, 1849, died at Hayle Cottage, Maidstone, on December 2, aged 78. He gained no note as a player whilst at Eton, but later developed into a useful batsman and a good wicket-keeper. He could also bowl slow underhand. Playing for Oxford Harlequins against Royal Engineers at Chatham in 1874, he caught four men and stumped three. He was tried for Kent--once in 1876 and twice in 1877--and was President of the County Club in 1886. For many years he was a most enthusiastic supporter of the game in Kent as well as one of the Trustees of the Mynn Memorial Benevolent Institution for Kentish Cricketers and President of the Mote C.C. He was, too, a prominent figure in the tents of IZ., B.B., and Old Stagers during the Canterbury Week. His family had been associated with the game for very many years, and had produced many good players: Messrs. C. J. B., R. H. B., and C. D. Marsham were his cousins and he was uncle of Mr. C. H. B. Marsham. To Wisden of 1907 he contributed a very interesting article on Kent County Cricket history.

MARTIN, THE REV. RICHARD, born on March 1, 1836, died at Exmouth on February 20, aged 90. He was a member of the MArlborough Eleven of 1854 and three years later rowed 4 in the Oxford boat against Cambridge. At the time of his death he was the oldest Rowing Blue.

MERCER, MR. JOHN, who died at Uxbridge on April 11, in his 100th year, was for seventy-five years a member of the Committee of the Uxbridge C.C.

MILNE, MR. ROBERT OSWALD, born at Leamington in 1853, died there on September 6, aged 74. He played for the Gentlemen of Warwickshire and the Free Foresters, in 1875 scoring 117 for the latter against his old School--Rugby. He represented Oxford at both rackets and tennis.

MISSEN, MR. E. S.., who died on November 17, was for many years the best bat in the Colchester District, and made heaps of runs for the Colchester and East Essex Club. He also bowled (right-hand medium) with much success for that Club of which he was for many years either captain or vice-captain. He played for Essex against Hampshire at Colchester in 1921.

NEWHALL, MR. CHARLES ALLERTON, the last survivor of the famous American cricketing brotherhood, was born in Philadelphia on March 3, 1847, and died at Hudson, N.Y., on September 27, aged 80. He was a member of the Philadelphian team, which visited England in 1884, but owing to an accident met with whilst practising at Liverpool, did not play his first match until June 27. He was then regarded as the best and fastest bowler that had to that date appeared in American cricket. Very straight, with a good break-back on the best of wickets, he could vary his pace well. He was, too, a sturdy batsman, though his style lacked finish. In the field he was generally slip. Much of his cricket was played for the Young America C.C. As a member of that club he won the Childs Cup for bowling in 1881, his record being forty-one wickets for 9.29 runs each.

OLIVER, MR, FRANCIS GIBBON, born on June 23, 1861, died on August 26, aged 66. He was described as A free left-hand bat with good style, strong defence and good hitting powers: a good field at cover-point. He was in the Cheltenham College Eleven in 1877 and three following years and in 1880 led the side. His best season was 1878, when he scored 45 and 61 against Marlborough and 57 and 24 against Clifton.

PAGE, MR. HERBERT VIVIAN, born on October 30, 1862, died in a nursing-home at Cheltenham on August 1, at the age of 64. In Scores and Biographies (XV-288) it was written of him: A capital batsman, possessing strong defence and good hitting power. He was also a medium-paced bowler with a curl from leg and a break from the off, could keep a good length and was to be relied on. In the field he was hard-working and excellent, being safe in any position. As a member of the Cheltenham College teams of 1881 and 1882, he was very successful in his two matches with Clifton, taking five wickets for 11 runs in the former year and twelve for 34 (including seven for 6) in the latter. At Oxford he secured his Blue as a Freshman and played against Cambridge in 1883 and the three next seasons, being captain in 1885 and 1886. His batting in those four games was consistently good, his scores being 6 and 57, 25 and 38, 22 and 78 not out, 20 and 2. Twice he was on the winning side and twice on the losing. He assisted Gloucestershire many times between 1883 and 1895, his highest score for the county being 116 v. Somerset at Moreton-in-the-Marsh in 1885, but his best innings, taking into consideration the bowling with which he had to contend, was his 93 in the match with Nottinghamshire at Cheltenham in 1883. His name will be found in various Gentlemen v. Players matches between 1884 and 1894. He was asked to visit Australia with Mr. G. F. Vernon's team in 1887-8 but was obliged to decline the invitation. In a match at Oxford in May, 1886, he took all ten wickets in an innings for Mr. M. C. Kemp's XI against Hertford College. He played Rugby Football for Oxford University (in 1884 and 1885) and Gloucestershire, and was captain of the East Gloucestershire Hockey Club for twenty-two years. From 1888 until 1923 he was a Master at Cheltenham College.

RAWNSLEY, MR. WILLINGHAM FRANKLIN, who died at Shamley Green, Guildford, on February 18, aged 82, was a member of the Uppingham Eleven of 1864 under the captaincy of C.E. Green. It was written of him: Bats in very stiff style, but hits wonderfully hard to the off.

RENDEL, MR. ARTHUR E., born in Brighton, Sussex, in 1853, died in Philadelphia on August 2, at the age of 74. He was a great cricket enthusiast and in his young days a fair bat and bowler. He was President of the New York C.C. in 1896. He also founded the Grace Society of Cricketers, and for a number of years presented medals to anyone making a hundred or doing the hat-trick in American cricket.

RICKETTS, MR. GEORGE WILLIAM, born at Allahabad, in India, on June 2, 1864, died in London on June 16, aged 63. He could hit with great power--his height was 6ft. 5ins.--and was a good field at point. At Winchester he played in the Eleven in 1881, 1882 and 1883, appearing each year against Eton, and in the school sports won the 100 yards and the high jump and threw the best ball. He also played rackets for Winchester. At Oxford he obtained his Blue in 1887. For his University against Lancashire, at Liverpool, that year he made 92 out of 126 in an hour and a half. The same season also he appeared in three matches for Surrey, and in the autumn of 1891 was a member of Lord Hawke's team which visited America. He had served on the Committee of the M.C.C. In 1909 he married the widow of Mr. E. H. Buckland. Since 1914 he had been Recorder of Portsmouth and since 1920 a Bencher of the Inner Temple. He unsuccessfully contested Winchester as a Liberal in January and December, 1910.

ROBERTSON-WALKER, MR. JAMES, born in Edinburgh on November 10, 1850, died in London after a long illness on March 21, aged 76. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a hard hitter, fields well at short-slip, but is principally noted for his fast round-armed bowling, which is, at times, very destructive. He was in the Eleven at Edinburgh Academy, but not in that of Oxford, and his fame rests on what he did for Middlesex. Between 1878 and 1891 he took 295 wickets for the County for 21.91 runs each, among his best figures being six for 22 v. Surrey in 1878, four for 8 v. Yorkshire in 1879, eight for 48 v. Nottinghamshire in 1881, five for 20 v. Surrey in 1885, and seven for 35 v. Nottinghamshire in 1886. Against the first Australian team at Lord's in 1878 he obtained three wickets in four balls. He also appeared for Scotland in representative matches, and twice assisted the Gentlemen against the Players. He had served on the Committee of the M.C.C., of which club he had been a member since 1876.

ROBINSON, THE REV. ARTHUR EDWARD, who died at Ilfracombe on January 15, was in the Repton Eleven of 1870.

RUGGLES-BRISE, MAJOR-GENERAL SIR HAROLD GOODEVE, K.C.M.G., C.B., M.V.O., born at Finchingfield, near Braintree, in Essex, on March 17, 1864, died in London on June 24, aged 63. He was a batsman with a free style, hitting well to the off, a good field at cover-point and mid-off, and could bowl a useful medium-paced ball. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1880 and two next years, being captain of the side in 1882, when Eton were beaten by an innings and 20 runs. He was an Oxford Blue of 1883, and the same season he made the first of his appearances for Essex. He was younger brother of Sir E. J. Ruggles-Brise, of the Eton teams of 1875 and 1876, and played much military cricket both at home and abroad. Since 1884 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

RUSSELL, THOMAS MARYCHURCH, born at Lewisham, in Kent, on July 6, 1868, died at Leyton on February 28, aged 58. He played on the Leyton ground as a boy, and had the satisfaction of being in the side that earned promotion to first rank in 1895. He had then been tried as wicket-keeper several times, and he secured a regular place in the Essex side, remaining their chief wicket-keeper until 1905. If he never quite reached the highest standard he had to take Mr. C. J. Kortright at his fastest; Harry Pickett, well above medium pace; and Walter Mead and Mr. F. G. Bull, both spin-bowlers who made the ball turn considerably. Essex finished third in the Championship in 1897, and were equal to beating the strongest counties for several seasons. During this time Tom Russell was the regular wicket-keeper and also a useful batsman, with his best season 1896, when he averaged 23. He scored 110 v. Surrey at Leyton that year and 139 v. Derbyshire at Derby in 1900. In the Essex v. Kent match at Canterbury, in 1901 he caught two men and stumped four in an innings, and in the game with the same county at Leyton in 1899 he caught eight. He joined the ground staff at Lord's in 1894, and remained with the Marylebone Club until 1926, when, after several seasons as a first class umpire, illness compelled him to retire. In 1905 the Essex v. Middlesex match at Leyton had been given to him for his benefit. Russell was of a rather reserved disposition but extremely popular. He was the father of A. C. Russell, the Essex and England player.

RYAN, DR. W. H., who died at Roade, Northampton, in June, aged 74, was for long associated prominently with the game in Ireland. For almost forty years he was a member of the Limerick Club, and he also played for the County. He was educated at Oscott and Dublin, and he hunted in Limerick with the family pack of black and tans which had existed for 250 years.

SAMPSON, MR. RICHARD KING, who died on July 12, aged 67, played in one match for Sussex--v. Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in 1886. In his first innings he was bowled for 2 by a ball from Flowers which sent a bail 39 yards; in his second he batted an hour for 5 runs.

SANKEY, MR. CHARLES, who died at Cimiez on April 19th, aged 84 was a very useful cricketer, left handed, who played some county cricket for both Leicestershire and Suffolk. After being an assistant Master at Marlborough, he was for eleven years Headmaster of King Edward's School, Bury St. Edmunds, and subsequently--1890-1905--a Harrow Master.

SCOTT, THE RT. REV. CHARLES PERRY, formerly Bishop in North China 1880-1913, died on May 13, in his 80th year. A batsman with a pretty style and a useful wicket-keeper, he was in the Charterhouse Eleven in 1865 and 1866, being captain the latter year. Subsequently he captained the Jesus College team at Cambridge. He worked in China for the long period of 52 years.

SMITH, MR. CHARLES MURRAY, born at Mickleham Hall, in Surrey, on January 16, 1860, died suddenly in London on May 21, aged 67. A useful batsman and a good, straight slow bowler with off-break, he was in the Eton Eleven in 1876 and two following years, being captain in 1878. In his six Public School matches he made 82 runs with an average of 13.66, and took thirty-two wickets for 11.62 runs each.

SMITH, THE REV. GERALD HYDE, who died at Ickham, near Canterbury, on October 16, aged 87, had played for both Staffordshire and Northants. An all-round sportsman, he was Rector of Wickhambreaux, in Kent, for over forty years.

STEEL, MR. ARTHUR JACKSON, who died at Lockerbie on March 21, aged 73, was a member of the well-known cricketing brotherhood. Educated at Shrewsbury, he was in the Eleven in 1869 and 1870.

TABOR, MR. ARTHUR SYDNEY, born at Trent, in Middlesex, on November 9, 1852, died in London on October 14, aged 74. At Eton he was in the Eleven in 1869 and two following years, but although he was, even then, recognised as a batsman of much merit, his scores in the Public School matches were, with one exception, very small. It is on account of what he did for Cambridge that he will chiefly be remembered. Obtaining his Blue as a Freshman, he played three times against Oxford. In the match of 1872 he and his fellow-Etonian, G. H. Longman,--both Freshmen--made 104 together for the first wicket in an hour and three-quarters, Tabor's score being 50. A year later he scored 3 and 45, and in 1874 made 52 and 0, the former innings, played on difficult ground, being the highest in the match for either side. It was in 1874 that he made his only appearance--at Prince's--for the Gentlemen. He played occasionally for Middlesex in 1872 and the next two years, and once for Surrey in 1878, but his form in those Games was very disappointing. R. M. Tabor, who played in 1864, and Alfred Tabor, of the Harrow Eleven of 1868, were his brothers. For thirty years, 1891-1920, he was Head-Master of Cheam School.

TAYLOR, MR. DAN, who was born in Durban on September 22, 1852, died in October, aged 75. He was a great worker for the game in Natal, and a good all round cricketer. He played against more than one English team, and in 1889-90 captained the Natal side which toured Cape Colony. Mr. H. W. Taylor, who has captained South Africa, is one of his sons.

TOBIN, MR. FRANK, born in 1849, died at Wavertree, Liverpool, on February 6, aged 77. He was in the Rugby Eleven in 1867 and played Rugby Football for England in the first match against Scotland and was, in addition, a crack rifle shot.

TOONE, MR. JOHN WILLIAM, born at Halifax, in Yorkshire, in 1872, died in New York City on September 1. As a fast bowler he was for some years a very prominent figure in the game in Jamaica, and in that island's match against Mr. R. S. Lucas's team in 1894-5 he took 13 wickets for 80 runs.

TOWNSEND, MR. HAWORTH NOTTINGHAM, born in Lancashire on October 1, 1864, died in New York City on July 21. A good fast bowler and a hard-hitting batsman, he played for the Staten Island C.C. from 1888 to 1895 and headed the bowling averages in three years.

TREADGOLD, MR. JAMES POWELL, who was drowned in a collision in Sydney Harbour, Australia, on November 3, aged 81, had played much cricket in Yorkshire in his young days. In August, 1868, he scored 65 for Middlesbrough against the Australian Aboriginal team.

TWEMLOW, COL. FRANCIS RANDLE, born at Smallwood, in Cheshire, on December 20, 1852, died at Market Drayton on January 21, aged 74. A good, hard-hitting batsman and a smart long-field, he was in the Winchester Eleven in 1869, and, played county cricket for Cheshire and Staffordshire, especially for the latter, for which side he made many good scores.

UNDERHILL, MR. THOMAS, who died at St. Thomas' Hill, Canterbury, on April 14, aged 85, had been a life-long supporter of the Beverley C.C. He was a well-known figure in Canterbury cricketing circles.

WALKER, MR. ASHLEY, born at Bradford, in Yorkshire, on June 22, 1844, died at Harrold, Bucks, on May 26, aged 82. He batted in good style and was a free scorer, and he also bowled a slow ball and fielded well at long-leg and cover-point. He learned his cricket at Westminister School, where he was in the Eleven in 1860 and two next years, and upon going-up to Cambridge obtained his Blue in 1864. In 1865 his form for the University was good, for, besides carrying out his bat for 38 in the first innings against Oxford, he made 65 v. M.C.C. at Cambridge and 56 v. Surrey at the Oval. Between 1863 and 1870 he appeared in nine games for Yorkshire and he also played a few times for Staffordshire. During the twenty five years of his service abroad in the Department of Public Education he did much for cricket in Ceylon, especially at Royal College. In 1885 he captained a Ceylon team in Madras and a year later led another which visited Bombay.

WASHINGTON, WILLIAM ARTHUR IRVING, born at Mitchell Main on December 11, 1879, died at Wombwell on October 20, aged 47. A left-handed batsman of unusual promise, he appeared in forty-five matches for Yorkshire in 1900 and 1902, making 1,290 runs with an average of 23.03. In 1902, when he played an innings of 100 not out against Surrey, at Leeds, he scored 1,022 runs and averaged 27.62. That, as it happened, was the last season in which he was seen in first-class cricket. Ill-health handicapped him, and, although he wintered at Torquay and in South Africa, he was unable to gain sufficient strength to enable him to resume play. He was a member of the team which dismissed the Australians for 23 at Leeds in 1902.

WELLDON, MR. JAMES TURNER, born at Felsted, Chelmsford, on August 3, 1847, died at Ashford, in Kent, on February 6, aged 79. A good bat and an active field at cover-point and long-leg, he played for Kent three times in 1867 and once in 1869. Whilst at Tonbridge, of which School his father was for many years Head-master, he was captain of the Eleven.

WHITE, MR. ALLAN VARDON, born on March 17, 1856, died suddenly in London on August 11, aged 73. In 1874 and 1875 he was in the Marlborough Eleven, being captain the latter year. He was described as A steady, painstaking bat with good powers of defense, very punishing on the off-side...a good longstop. He was contemporary at Marlborough with A. G. Steel and A. P. Wickham.

WIDDOWSON, SAM WELLER, born at Hucknall Torkard on April 16, 1851, died at Beeston on May 9, aged 76. Scores and Biographies said of him: An average batsman, a fast round-armed bowler, and fields in no particular place. He appeared for Nottinghamshire in two matches in 1878. A well-known athlete, he was appointed in 1873 as captain of the Nottingham Forest Football Club, and he played against Scotland at Hampden Park in March 1880.

WILLS, THE REV. GEORGE FREDERICK, a Somerset man by birth, died at Up-Holland Vicarage, Wigan, on April 16th, aged 69. Described as A good and free hitter, his fame rests on an innings of 210 not out which he played for Fullands v. South Molton, at Fullands, in Devon, on July 12, 1877, when his side scored 518 for the loss of only three wickets.

WILSON, MAJOR CYRIL, who was born in 1850 and died in February, was one of the founders of the Emeriti C.C., and played for Somerset, 1877-80, and M.C.C. He was educated at St. Mary's College, Oscott, and the English College at Rome.

WINCH, MR. RICHARD FOORD, born at Cranbrook, Kent, on April 4, 1853, died at Crondall, in Hampshire, on June 6th, aged 74. Although he played occasionally for Northamptonshire, he will be remembered chiefly for two bowling feats he performed for Oundle School whilst a master there. At Northampton on July 2, 3, 1879, be bowled down all the ten wickets in the first innings of the Gentlemen of Northants., and on the Oundle ground on June 2, 1881, he was similarly successful at the expense of Kettering.

WRIGLEY, SAMUEL, died at Northampton in January at the age of 71. He had kept wicket for Northants and for some years was an umpire in Minor County matches.

Particulars of the following Deaths were received too late for publication in WISDEN'S CRICKETERS' ALMANACKof 1927.

CHANDLER, MR. ALLEN, born at Kensington on December 5, 1849, died at Halsemere, after a long illness, on Christmas Day, 1926, aged 77. A free-hitting batsman and a good field, he was in the Cheltenham College Elevens of 1867 and 1868 and played several times for Surrey between 1873 and 1877, being captain of the county for one season. He was probably at his best in 1875, when he scored 74 v. Cambridge University at the Oval and 64 v. Sussex at Hove.

EAST, WILLIAM, born at Northampton on August 29, 1876, died at his native place on December 19, 1926, aged 50. A good bat and a capital medium-paced right-handed bowler, he did much excellent work for his county in both its second-class and first-class days. He took his place in the side at the age of nineteen and kept it for over twenty years, his retirement then being caused by broken health. Owing largely to his efforts and Thompson's, Northants gained admission to the first-class rank. In Minor counties cricket East had a bowling average of 15.35 for 426 wickets and a batting average of 26.59 for 2,789 runs. In first class games his figures were 493 wickets (average 20.77) and 3,913 runs (average 17.31). Against Lancashire at Northampton, in 1911, he had an analysis of seven for 11.

HAYES, MR. W. B., who died early in November, 1926, was a good batsman and leg-break bowler who had played a prominent part in Queensland cricket. Against New South Wales at Brisbane in 1907-8 he scored 98, and in the match with the same State at Sydney in the following season he scored 52 and 31 and took eight wickets for 124 runs. In making 143 for South Brisbane v. Valley, at Brisbane in October, 1905, he and T. B. Faunce scored 290 for the first wicket in two hours and a quarter, the hundred going-up up in 35 minutes and 200 in 75.

HORTON, MR. J. N., President of the Queensland Cricket Association, died on December 15, 1926, aged 74. He had been Vice-President twenty-two years before, and he succeeded Col. Foxton as President.

LOUGHNAN, MR. AUSTIN, who died in the last week of October 1926, had played for Victoria and been prominently associated with the Melbourne C.C. He was in the Stonyhurst Eleven in 1868 and 1869, and in the latter season it was written of him: The neatest and most correct bat in the eleven, his fine upright play and strong defence were, the admiration of all; a distinctive medium-paced bowler and good cover-point.

MACNUTT, MR. HOWARD, born near Stirling, in Scotland, on June 13, 1859, died at Miami, Florida, on December 27, 1926. For many years he was a prominent figure in American cricket, being a very good fast bowler, straight with a sharp rise from the pitch, and an excellent field, covering much ground and throwing-in particularly well. He visited England with the Gentlemen of Philadelphia's team in 1884, and against the Gentlemen of Leicestershire bowled unchanged throughout with Mr. W. C. Lowry. In the following year he took five wickets for 10 runs for United States v. Canada at Toronto. Twice, whilst associated with the Oxford C.C. he won the Childs Cup for bowling in the Halifax Cup matches taking 25 wickets for 4.96 runs each in 1882 and 22 for 9.68 in 1885.

THYNNE, MAJOR-GENERAL SIR REGINALD THOMAS, K.C.B., born on December 23, 1843, died in London on December 29, 1926, aged 83. He was in the Radley Eleven in 1861 and 1862 and in the Football Fifteen in 1860-1.

WOODWARD, JOSEPH, who died at Aston, Birmingham, on December, 31, 1926, aged 73, had played for both Warwickshire and Worcestershire, and for the former county at Lickfield in 1882 obtained seven wickets in an innings against Staffordshire.

© John Wisden & Co