Obituaries in 1923

BAILEY, MR. NORMAN COLES, who was born at Streatham on July 23, 1857, died at Cowley, in Middlesex, on January 13, aged 65. He was in the Westminster School XI in 1873 and 1874, when he was described as A useful all-round bat; fair field, can keep wicket well. Subsequently he played much for the Streatham C.C. He was however, better known as an Association footballer, appearing for Westminster, Clapham Rovers, Corinthians, Swifts, Old Westminsters and Surrey. He assisted England in ten consecutive matches against Scotland between 1878 and 1887, and also played v. Wales and Ireland. In seven of his matches with Scotland he captained the England team.

BAPASOLA, NASARVANJI CAWASJI, born in April, 1867, died at Meerut in June, aged 56. He was a member of the Parsi team which visited England in 1888, when he scored 584 runs with an average of 12.32 and took 24 wickets at a cost of 18.10 runs each. He was chosen for the first Presidency match in 1892 and for All-India against Lord Hawke's team. From first to last he played for over thirty years.

BEAN, GEORGE, died at Warsop of pneumonia on March 16. George Bean was one of the many Notts cricketers who earned fame for a county other than that of his birth. His connection with the Notts Eleven was restricted to the season of 1885. He did not do much, and, declining the offer of half a dozen matches in the following year, he threw in his lot with Sussex for which county he had already qualified by residence. For Sussex he proved himself a most valuable batsman. Between 1886 and 1898 he took part in 219 Sussex matches and hit up ten hundreds. The Brighton wickets were at their best in his day and they suited his style of play to perfection. He had a most brilliant cut and--the boundary being short on the pavilion side--it is no exaggeration to say that he got numberless fours without running a yard. One of his performances stood out above all the rest. Playing against Notts at Brighton in 1891 he scored 145 not out and 92.

In 1891 he touched his highest point. He headed the Sussex averages and stood for the moment in quite the front rank of professional batsmen. Strictly on his merits he was picked to go to Australia with Lord Sheffield's Eleven in the winter of 1891-92 but somehow he never found his form and the trip detracted from his reputation. Back in England he showed a sad decline in form for one season, but in 1893 he was as good as ever and again came out at the top of the Sussex averages. Attached to Lord's for many years he was at the time of his death the senior member of the M.C.C.'s ground staff. He had his Sussex benefit in 1898 and a highly successful Whitsuntide benefit at Lord's in 1921.--S.H.P.

BEGBIE, THE REV. ALFRED JOHN, who was born on October 21, 1849, died at Bath on August 27. He was a member of the Harrow Eleven of 1869, and in the match with Eton scored 15 and 18. At Oxford he played for the Freshmen in 1870 and also for Trinity College, but did not obtain his Blue.

BELL, MR. THEODORE, who died at Epsom on November 4, aged 83, was in the Uppingham Eleven in 1855 and three following years, and in 1858 was the side's best bowler. He was an all-round cricketer, and also a member of the Committee of the Uppingham Rovers upon the club's formation. For 47 years he was Clerk to the Epsom Justices.

BIRCHAM, MR. SAM, who died at Yarrowfield, Mayford, Surrey, on June 4, aged 84, had been Auditor to the M.C.C. for many years, and a member of the Club since 1869. His intimate acquaintance with Parliamentary and Private Bill procedure enabled him, with the late Lord James of Hereford, to procure for the M. C. C. immense and lasting advantages when it seemed possible that Lord's ground might be encroached upon by covetous railway promoters.

BOWDEN-SMITH, MR. GODFREY, born on November 27, 1865, died in London on January 27. A powerful batsman with good strokes to leg, a sure out-field and a safe catch, he was in the Rugby Eleven in 1883 and 1884. In his two matches against Marlborough he scored 0 and 20, 8 and 30. Proceeding to Oxford, he played for Balliol College, but did not obtain his Blue. From 1895 until 1912 he was an Assistant-Master at Rugby.

BROUGHAM, MR. HENRY, born at Wellington College on July 8, 1888, died at La Croix, after an illness of five years, on February 18. He was in the Wellington XI three seasons, being captain in 1907, and in 1911, when he obtained his Blue for Oxford, played a free and attractive innings of 84 against Cambridge. Commencing in 1905, he did many good things for Berkshire, among his best scores being 150 v. Carmarthen at Reading in 1911, 138 v. Devon at Exeter in 1910, and 122 v. Buckinghamshire at Reading in 1911. At Rugby Football he played for the Harlequins and also represented England against Wales, Irelend, Scotland, and France. At rackets, too, he was well above the average, being second string for Oxford in 1908 and first in 1909. During the War he served in France 1915-17 with the Royal Field Artillery, and was then invalided out with the rank of Major.

BUTLER, FRED, a nephew of George Parr, was born at Radcliffe-on-Trent on December 29, 1858, and died at Sailor's Snug Harbor, Staten Island, on February 26. After making 43 in the Nottinghamshire Colts' match in 1881, and 47 and 34 (against Alfred Shaw and Morley) for Colts of England at Lord's, he was tried for his County, but, except for an innings of 171 against Sussex at Hove in 1890, never did quite as well as was expected. Subsequently, however, he scored well for Durham County. For about fifteen years he was professional to the Sunderland C.C.

CARTER, THE REV. EDMUND SARDINSON, died at Scarborough on May 23. Mr. Carter will be remembered not so much for what he did in the cricket field as for his personality. In whatever company he found himself he could not help being a prominent figure. Retaining as long as his health lasted the keenest interest in the game, he had a better collection of cricket stories than any of his contemporaries except, possibly, E. M. Grace, who could never be persuaded to let his be printed. No doubt the best of Mr. Carter's tales are those published in his interview in Old English Cricketers, but he had an inexhaustible store. Going up from Durham Grammar School Mr. Carter was a double blue at Oxford, playing in the eleven in 1866 and 1867 and rowing in the boat in 1867 and 1868. He had no chance of being in the eleven in 1868, as a severe attack of pleurisy compelled him to take a sea voyage to Australia. While in Sydney he played for Victoria against New South Wales, and with scores of 16 and 63 (the highest innings on either side) helped to win the game by 78 runs. The match has, in the historic sense, a special interest. In Frank Allan, who took eight wickets for 20 runs and got New South Wales out for 37, Mr. Carter saw the first of the long line of great Australian bowlers. I have often wondered whether at the time he had any idea of what Allan's success portended.

Without being in the front rank Mr. Carter was a very useful all-round cricketer--good both as batsman and fast bowler. In his two matches against Cambridge at Lord's his scores were: 4 and 15 and 26 and 13. Taking two wickets for four runs and two for 13 he had a share in Oxford's narrow win in 1866. He played occasionally for Yorkshire between 1876 and 1881, taking part in fourteen matches. His best score for the county was 39 not out in 1878. A member for many years of the Yorkshire Committee he was always to be seen at the Scarborough Festival. One incident in his life must be recalled. His old colleague in the Oxford eleven, Lord Loreburn, when Lord Chancellor, presented him with a living and in the accompanying letter wrote: You broke my finger at Oxford but I bear no malice. Mr. Carter was born at Malton on February 3, 1845.--S.H.P.

COLERIDGE, CAPT. FRANCIS GEORGE, born on November 16, 1838, died at Twyford, Berks, on July 19. In 1854, when he was in the Eton Eleven, he scored only 1 and 3 not out v. Harrow and 5 and 0 v. Winchester, but fielded splendidly. He was a younger brother of C. E. and A. J. Coleridge and cousin of F. J. and A. D. Coleridge, all of whom had been in the Eton Eleven. H. N. Coleridge, of the team of 1818, was one of his uncles.

CROOKE, MR. FREDERICK JAMES, born on April 21, 1844, died at Southsea on August 6. He was in the Winchester Eleven of 1860, when he scored 5 and 14 against Eton. He was described as A very fine hitter, and patient in defence; a very good thrower from long-leg. He appeared in one match for Lancashire in 1860 and a few times for Gloucestershire in 1874 and 1875.

D'AETH, MR. EDWARD KNATCHBULL HUGHES, who was born on September 11, 1866, and died in New York on September 19, was a member of the Haileybury Elevens of 1883 and 1884. In each year he headed the batting averages with 30 and obtained a few wickets at reasonable cost. His highest innings for the side was 106 v. Marlborough Blues in 1884. At Oxford he appeared for the Freshmen and on a few occasions for the University in 1885; he was also in the Wadham team, but did not secure his Blue.

DE WINTON, CAPT. ROBERT FRANCIS CHIPPINI, born on September 9, 1868, died suddenly through a fall from the window of his hotel at Terra Bella, Porterville, California, on March 14. He was educated at Marlborough and, although not a recognised member of the Eleven, played occasionally for the College, and once--in May, 1887--did the hat-trick against Liverpool. Whilst at Oxford he was captain of the Exeter College XI, and subsequently he played much cricket, especially for Marlborough Blues, Windsor Home Park and the Authentics. He was also captain of the Slough C.C. As a half-back at Rugby Football he played for Oxford University in 1888-89 and two following seasons, as well as for South v. North, England v. Wales at Cardiff in 1892-3, and Marlborough Nomads, Blackheath and Kent. An interview with him was published in Cricket of June 30, 1898.

DRYSDALE, MR. JOHN, who died in February, was associated with the Fitzroy, C.C., of Melbourne, and played a few times for Victoria, the first occasion being against New South Wales in 1888-89. He was an all-round cricketer.

ENFIELD, MR. HENRY, born at Hampstead on September 12, 1849, died at Nottingham on September 19. A good batsman and an excellent field, he was in the Brighton College Eleven in 1866 and two following years. He made some good scores for the Gentlemen of Nottinghamshire, but was not successful in the two matches in which he appeared for the County in 1869 and 1872.

ENGLEHEART, SIR JOHN GARDNER DILLMAN, K.C.B., who was born on February 2, 1823, died in London on April 10, aged 100. He was educated at Rugby under Dr. Arnold and at Oxford, and, although in neither Eleven, played for the Sixth against The School whilst at Rugby in 1841, the year of Tom Brown's match--Rugby School v. M.C.C.

FACEY, MR. PETER, for over twenty years Secretary of the Tasmania Cricket Association, died at Hobart on September 30, aged 70.

FISCHARDT, MR. CHARLES GUSTAV, one of three cricketing brothers, was born at Bloemfontein on March 20, 1870, and died after an operation on May 30, aged 53. He was educated at Grey College (Bloemfontein), in Scotland, and at Hamburg, and was a useful lob bowler and a vigorous batsman. He played for the Orange Free State against three English teams and in Currie Cup matches, and also for South Africa against England in 1891-2 and 1895-6. In 1895-6, when he captained the Free State XVI against the Englishmen, he took six wickets for 93 runs in the first innings. In a small match at Bloemfontein he and L. Richardson once added 401 together for the second wicket. His portrait can be seen on page 61 of The History of South African Cricket.

FISHER-ROWE, MAJOR CONWAY VICTOR, M.C., born on July 6, 1881, died in a nursing-home at Guildford on April 11. A steady batsman who could cut well, and a good field at mid-off, he was in the Eton XI in 1898, when he scored 22 and 4 v. Harrow, and did not bat against Winchester. A year later he was in the R.M.C. XI, making 17 and 15 in the match with Woolwich. Later he played for the Household Brigade and in much Regimental cricket. He took part in both the South African and the Great Wars, and, serving in the latter with the Grenadier Guards, and on the Staff, was wounded three times and Mentioned in Dispatches three times.

FULCHER, CAPT. ERIC JESSER, born at Ashford, in Kent, on March 12, 1890, died at Pilstone Court, near Chepstow, as the result of a gun accident, on February 13. A capital all-round cricketer, he was in the Radley XI in 1906 and 1907, played for Norfolk from 1910, and was a member of the M.C.C. team which visited the Argentine in 1911-12. Perhaps the best innings of his career was his 126 for Norfolk v. M. C. C. at Lord's, in 1914, when he had the bowling of Mignon and Astill to contend with. At Trent Bridge in 1910 he scored 83 in thirty-five minutes against Notts 2nd XI. He was a good, free-hitting batsman and a splendid fieldsman.

GOULD, W., who died in Cheltenham General Hospital in the first week of February, aged 56, had been engaged at Cheltenham College for sixteen years, first as bowler and subsequently as groundsman. His cricket was played for the East Gloucestershire C.C.

GREEN, MR. JOSEPH FLETCHER, who died on August 28, aged 77, was in the Rugby Eleven of 1864, and played that year against Marlborough at Islington, scoring 6 and taking no wicket for 9 runs. Rugby won by an innings and 33 runs, Mr. E. W. M. Lloyd carrying out his bat for 139. Of Mr. Green's play in 1864 it was written: Came out as a bowler at the beginning of the year, but lost precision the latter part, but with great care he may recover it; is a good hitter, but takes things a trifle too cool when at the wicket; fields remarkably well. His batting average for the School was 13.13.

HANCOCK, MR. HARRY BENTLEY, who died at Birkenhead on August 8, aged 49, was a well-known club cricketer in Cheshire, and in 1907 played for Liverpool and District against Cambridge University, scoring 14 and 7.

HARDY, MR. NORMAN, who died suddenly of heart failure at the age of 31 whilst playing football on November 17, had appeared occasionally for Somerset since 1912. He was a fast-medium bowler, and in 1919 took eighteen wickets for 13 runs each.

HARRIS, MR. HENRY EDWARD, born at Brighton on June 8, 1854, died at Littlehampton on Nov. 8. He was educated privately at Brighton, and was a useful batsman and fielded generally at point. In 1875 and 1876 he was Honorary Secretary of the Brighton Club, but, living in Hampshire from 1877 until 1881, he appeared in a few matches for that county in 1880. For many years, commencing in 1887, he was Honorary Secretary of the Littlehampton C.C., and he had served on the Committee of the Sussex County C.C.

HARRISON, MR. FREDERIC, the well-known publicist, was born in London on October 18, 1831, and died at Bath on January 14. As a bowler he played for King's College, London, from 1847 until 1849, and for Wadham College, Oxford, in 1850 and two following years. Between 1846 and 1849 he took part in many small matches at Lord's, where the famous

William Lillywhite bowled to him. He had many most interesting reminiscences of Pilch, Parr, Box, Alfred Mynn, Clarke, Sir Frederick Bathurst, and other giants of the past, and he must have been one of the last survivors of those who saw Alfred Mynn defeat Felix at single-wicket at Lord's in 1846.

HARVEY, MR. THOMAS PAXLEY, who died at Morden on March 26, aged 62, was well known for many years in connection with Mitcham cricket. He had also captained the Surrey Second Eleven. For Mitcham against Surrey Colts at the Oval in May, 1889, he had an analysis of 54 balls for 3 runs and eight wickets.

HAYGARTH, MR. JOHN WILLIAM, died in Queensland on March 31, aged 80. Mr. Haygarth has his place in cricket history as one of the best amateur wicket-keepers of his time. Still good as he undoubtedly was he never had the honour of being chosen for Gentlemen v. Players. He was a second cousin of the late Arthur Haygarth, the compiler of Scores and Biographies. At Winchester he was in the eleven for four years, being captain in 1860 and 1861. Going up to Oxford he gained his Blue as a Freshman in 1862, when Oxford lost by eight wickets at Lord's, and was the wicket-keeper for R. A. H. Mitchell's elevens in 1863 and 1864. Before taking to wicket-keeping he was an excellent cover-point. He was ambidextrous. In 1865 he left England to take up sheep farming in Queensland, and in Queensland he remained for the rest of his life. It would seem that he lost all touch with his Oxford cricket friends. When in 1920 I wanted some information about old University players not even Mr. R. D. Walker could say whether he was alive or dead. Mr. Haygarth was born in Gloucestershire on the 3rd of December, 1842. Two of his brothers were also cricketers of some note, Mr. F. Haygarth playing for Winchester in 1864, 1865 and 1866, and Mr. E. B. Haygarth for Lancing in 1868, 1869 and 1870.--S.H.P.

HOARE, CANON JOHN GURNEY, who died at Wrexham on February 26, aged 75, obtained his colours for Tonbridge School in 1865 and later played in the Trinity College Eleven at Cambridge.

HOLDSHIP, MR. A. R., who was born in New Zealand, died in Sydney on January 28, aged 55. A sound batsman and useful medium-paced bowler, he played for the Freshmen in 1887 and the Seniors in 1889 whilst at Cambridge, in the latter match taking four wickets for 21 runs in the first innings and three for 48 in the second. As a member of the Caius College XI he averaged 33.66 in 1888 and 35.69 in 1889, in the former year scoring hundreds against Clare and Queen's. In 1890 he did particularly well for the Surbiton C.C., his highest innings being 175 v. Wimbledon. Returning to New Zealand, where he practised as a Solicitor, he played for both Auckland and New Zealand, rendering useful service without doing anything remarkable.

HORNBY, MR. EDMUND GEOFFREY STANLEY, born on January 2, 1839, died at Burton, in Westmorland, on January 13. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1856 and 1857, and in his games against Winchester scored 17 and 34. Harrow were not met in 1856, and in the game of the following year (not reckoned in the regular series) he made only 5 and 1. He was a very steady batsman and a useful field. For over seventy years he was associated with the Lancaster C.C., his first match for the Club having been in July, 1852, and he was the President of the organization at the time of his death. He also played much club cricket for Burton, Kendal and Kirkby Lonsdale.

HOWARD, MR. ARTHUR, who died at Little Common, Bexhill, on September 11, aged 38, from wounds received in France in March, 1917, whilst serving with the 17th Batt. Royal fusiliers, was in the Haileybury XI, in 1902 and two following seasons, in 1903 heading the batting averages--he was left-handed--with 25.66. At Oxford he scored 12 and 0 in the Freshmen's match of 1905 and 59 not out in the Seniors' in 1908.

INGE, THE REV. FRANCIS GEORGE, born at Ravenstone, Leicester, on June 27, 1840, died at Oxford on September 22, aged 83. He left Rossall too young to be in the Eleven, but he played for Charterhouse, where he was coached by Dakin, from 1856 until 1859 inclusive, being captain in his two last seasons. In his fourth year as a member of the side his batting average was 34, a high figure in those days. Proceeding to Oxford he obtained his Blue in 1861, in which year he was in excellent form, for, besides scoring 116 for the University against the Players engaged at Oxford and 57 v. M. C. C. and Ground, he made 46 for the Free Foresters against the United All-England Eleven, at Eccles, off the bowling of Atkinson, Caffyn, Griffith and Wisden. That season he was invited for the Gentlemen v. Players match, but was unable to take part in the game. In the matches with Cambridge Mr. Inge was on the losing side in 1861 and 1862, but in 1863, his last year in the Eleven, Oxford won by eight wickets, he himself contributing 48 not out of the 68 made for two wickets in the final stage of the game. In his three inter-University matches he made 94 runs with an average of 18.80, besides taking five wickets for 85 in the game of 1861. Mr. Inge possessed strong defence, could bowl a useful lob, and was a good long-stop. He was a brother of the Rev. W. Inge of the Oxford team of 1853, and uncle of the present Dean of St. Paul's.

INGLETON, MR. WALTER J., who fell out of a train at St. Kilda railway station, Melbourne, on January 4, and was killed instantly, at the age of 53, had made many excellent scores for the South Melbourne C.C.

JOHNSON, FREDERICK, born at Rolvenden, in Kent, on March 14, 1851, died on November 24. A useful medium-fast left-handed bowler, he played in twenty-one matches for Surrey between 1878 and 1883, taking fifty-five wickets for 25 runs each. He never appeared for his native county, except in a match against seventeen Colts at Maidstone, in 1877.

KENNERLEY-RUMFORD, MR. ROY GEORGE MONTAGUE, who died in London on August 23, aged 19, three days after undergoing an operation for meningitis, was a very useful all-round cricketer and an excellent field. He was in the Eton XI in 1922 and 1923, in the former year scoring 118 runs with an average of 29.50 and in the latter 299 with one of 42.71. He had been chosen as a member of the Free Foresters team to tour Canada last autumn, but ill-health compelled him to decline the invitation. His early death, which was much deplored, removed a young and very promising cricketer.

LE MARCHANT, DR. ARTHUR WHARTON, who was born in Colombo and died at Instow, North Devon on July 30, aged 56, was in the Malvern Eleven in 1883 and two following years, being a useful batsman, a destructive fast bowler in his day, and a capital field. Later he played much with the North Devon C.C.

LEWIS, MR. CHARLES PRYTHERCH, born at Llwyn-Celn, Llangadoc, Carmarthenshire, on August 20, 1853, died at Llandovery on May 28. He was educated at Llandovery College, Gloucester College School and Jesus College, Oxford. A useful batsman, fast bowler and field at short-slip and cover-point, he gained his Blue for Oxford in 1876, but against Cambridge failed to distinguish himself, scoring only 15 and 1 and taking four wickets at a cost of 144 runs. On May 20 that year he played an innings of 206 for Jesus College against Queen's. At Rugby football he represented Wales twice against England and Scotland, and once against Ireland. He also took part in the Athletic University Sports in 1876, at Lillie Bridge, when he was fourth in throwing the hammer.

LINDSAY, MR. WILLIAM, born in India on August 3, 1847, died in the middle of February in his seventy-sixth year. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1864 and 1865, and in his three innings against Eton scored 11, 2 and 43. As a batsman he had a first-rate style and he was brilliant in the field, especially at cover-point and long-leg. Between 1876 and 1882 he made 987 runs for Surrey with an average of 17.31, his highest innings being 74 against Middlesex at the Oval in 1877. At Association football he appeared for England against Scotland in 1877 and also played at back for the Wanderers when they won the Cup three years in succession.

LOREBURN, LORD, died on November 30. Mr. Robert Threshie Reid, Ex-Lord Chancellor, familiarly known in the House of Commons for many years as Bob Reid, could spare no time for first-class cricket after starting his professional career, but he will be remembered as one of the best amateur wicket-keepers of his day. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven in 1862-63-64 and left school with a big reputation, both as wicket-keeper and batsman. Though tried against the M. C. C. at Lord's in 1865, he did not secure his Blue as a Freshman, but he was in the Oxford Eleven in the next three years. He had the pleasure of being on the winning side at Lord's in 1866, the fast bowling of the late E. L. Fellowes giving Oxford a narrow victory by 12 runs, but Cambridge won by five wickets in 1867, and by 168 runs in 1868. In the last innings of the 1868 match Mr. Reid for some reason, was absent. He met with very little success against Cambridge as a batsman, his best score in the three matches being 23, but he went in so late that nothing could have been expected of him. As a wicket-keeper, however, in all three years he earned very high praise. He especially distinguished himself in the 1867 match, bringing off three catches in Cambridge's second innings. Apart from cricket, he excelled at racquets, playing for Oxford against Cambridge both in singles and doubles in 1865 and 1867, and in those early days of amateur athletics he was a fairly good sprinter. He was born at Corfu, Ionian Isles, on April 3, 1846. In 1907 he was President of the M.C.C. and also of Kent,

MCALPINE, MR. KENNETH, born at Leamington on April 11, 1858, died at Loose, near Maidstone, on February 10. He was educated at Haileybury but, leaving young, was not in the Eleven. In 1885 and 1886 he played for Kent three times, and in 1891 and 1894 visited America with Lord Hawke's teams. For years he was associated most prominently with the Mote Park C.C., and for the Club at Maidstone in June, 1886, played an innings of 226 against Royal Marines, he and C. Lake (137) making 346 together for the first wicket. He was, too, a splendid worker on behalf of the Kent County C.C., and in 1922 was President of the Club. He was a very great lover indeed of the game.

MCMICHAEL, MR. SAM, who died at Brighton, in Victoria, on April 21, aged 53, was a good batsman and fine field. He was born on July 18, 1869. Several times he played for his State, and possibly his most meritorious innings was his 97 against South Australia at Melbourne in 1897-98. For the East Melbourne C.C. he was a prolific scorer, and in 1898-99 his average for the Club was as high as 82. In making 246 not out that season against St. Kilda, he added 295 for the third wicket with F. Laver (126 not out), while two years earlier he (211) and Val Thompson (228 not out) put on 315 together for the fifth wicket against Richmond, the latter, who died young, being then only eighteen years of age. Mr. McMichael was also a good footballer and amateur boxer.

MADDEN, MR. D. A., who represented Victoria on the old Australian Cricket Council, died in Sydney on June 24, aged 77.

MATTHEWS, MR. THOMAS JACOB, who died in Manchester on June 12, aged 58, had been for many years Secretary of the Lancashire County Cricket Club, a position he resigned on account of ill-health in 1921. A Testimonial Fund which was opened in his behalf was headed by the County Club with £500. Before being identified officially with the Club, Mr. Matthews was on the staff of the Manchester Courier newspaper.

MAUDE, MR. FREDERICK WILLIAM, born at Plumstead, in Kent, on February 28, 1857, died in London on February 9. His height was 6ft. 3ins. and weight 12st. 4lbs. He never played for his native county, and his first match at Lord's was for M.C.C. v. Northamptonshire in August, 1882. He was educated in Germany and was a fine and free hitter, a useful medium-paced bowler and a good field at short-slip. Playing for M.C.C. v. Wiltshire at Lord's in August, 1886, he scored 146 in his first innings and 143 in his second. Between 1885 and 1895 he stood four times for Parliament as a Liberal and a Liberal-Unionist, but was not returned. He was a Baron of the Cinque Ports.

MIREHOUSE, MR. GEORGE TIERNEY, who died at Coolnoo, Turramurra, New South Wales, on March 6, aged 59, played for the Seniors at Cambridge and was tried a few times for the University in 1884 and 1885, but did not appear against Oxford.

MORDAUNT, CANON OSBERT, who was born at Walton, in Warwickshire, on December 4, 1842, died on September 25. For 48 years he had been Rector of Hampton Lucy, near Stratford-on-Avon. As a member of the Eton team of 1860 he scored 3 not out and 11 v. Harrow and 0 and 0 not out v. Winchester, the former game being well-remembered on account of the innings of 70 by R. A. H. Mitchell and 112 not out by A. W. T. Daniel. Scores and Biographies (6-432) said of him: Is a capital hitter and a good field, generally at point or slip. He developed into a good lob-bowler, delivering with either hand, and was also a very sound judge of the game. For Gentlemen of Warwickshire he did several noteworthy things. Against Gentlemen of Shropshire in 1867 he scored 126 and took thirteen wickets; against Gentlemen of Lancashire in 1869 made 30 and 75; and v. Gentlemen of Staffordshire in 1874 scored 24 and 45 besides taking eight wickets. For 22 of Birmingham against the Australians in 1878 he had an analysis of 23 overs, 20 maidens, 3 runs, 4 wickets. He was a brother of J. M. Mordaunt of the Eton XI's of 1854 and 1855.

MOSS, SAM, reputed to have been at one time the fastest bowler in England, was killed on the railway line whilst walking to a match at Featherstone on August 7. He was in his fifty-sixth year. He was very successful for Bacup in the Lancashire League in 1899 and at least twice during his career he obtained all ten wickets in an innings--for 19 runs for Padiham in 1908 and for 32 runs for Barnsley v. Huddersfield. At various times he was also on the Old Trafford ground-staff and with the Batley C.C.

NORMAN, MR. EDWARD, born on July 31, 1847, died at Chelsfield on February 5. A useful cricketer, he was twelfth man for Eton in 1865 and played subsequently for the West kent C.C. and the Eton Ramblers. Three of his brothers, Messrs. C. L., F. H. and Philip Norman, were in the Eton Eleven. For a few years he was a Clerk in the House of Commons.

NORRIS, MR. EDWARD STACY, who died at Eccleshall about September 15th, aged 71, was in the Rossall Elevens of 1869 and 1870. He was a safe batsman and a good field anywhere, and in the latter year was first in the averages with 29. At Cambridge he was in the Jesus College team, but he did not obtain his Blue. For many years he was associated with the Windsor Home park C.C.

NOTCUTT, MR. STEPHEN ABBOTT, who died at Ipswich on October 20, had played both cricket and football for Suffolk.

OATES, MR. FRANCIS HAMER, C.B., born at Besthorpe, Newark, on June 6, 1866, died at Sheringham on May 9. He was a good, steady and sound right-handed batsman, but was left-handed in other departments of the game. He was in the Harrow XI in 1883 and 1884, but did not obtain his Blue whilst at Cambridge. His brother, Col. W. Coape Oates was twelfth man for Harrow in 1875, his father, W. H. C. Oates, acted for some years as Hon. Secretary of the Notts. County C.C., and his nephew, J. S. C. Oates, was a member of the Harrow team of 1913.

PAGET-COOKE, SIR HENRY, who died in London on March 7, aged 61, was born on May 16, 1861. He was in the Cheltenham Eleven in 1879 and 1880, and in the latter season was described as A left-hander hitter, with little defence or style. His greatest success in the Public School matches was to score 12 and 2 against Marlborough in 1880.

PALAIRET, MR. HENRY HAMILTON, who died at Dorchester on March 20, aged 78, was not in the Eleven whilst at Eton, but played for Exeter College, Oxford, as a wicket-keeper. He was a good shot, a keen fisherman, took part in rowing, cricket and hunting, and excelled at archery. Five times--in 1876, 1878, 1880 to 1882--he was champion archer of England. He was father of Messrs. L. C. H. and R. C. N. Palairet.

PALMER, MR. RALPH CHARLTON, who was born on October 3, 1839, died at Nazeing, in Essex, on September 8. He was in the Winchester XI of 1857, and was Secretary of the Balliol College C.C. whilst at Oxford. In his match with Eton he scored 0 and 6 and obtained one wicket. He was described as a batsman with good defence and a puzzling bowler.

PARKE, MR. ELLIOTT ANDERSON, born in London on July 19, 1850, died on June 22. He was a good batsman, a fast round-armed bowler and generally fielded at long-slip and mid-on. In 1874 he played for Kent against Derbyshire at Tunbridge wells, and scored 9 and 47. He was educated at Harrow and Oxford, but did not obtain a place in either Eleven. He played much cricket for M.C.C., Richmond, Incogniti, Blue Mantles, Devonshire Park (Eastbourne) and other Clubs.

PAWLEY, MR. TOM EDWARD, born at Farningham on January 21, 1859, died suddenly at Canterbury on August 3. He was educated at Tonbridge, but, although a very useful cricketer whilst there, did not obtain a place in the Eleven. He assisted Kent twice in 1880 and once in 1882 and again in 1887, in the last-mentioned game--v. Sussex at Tonbridge--taking three wickets for 11 runs. For many years he was Captain of the Tonbridge C.C., and also Honorary Secretary from 1881 until his death. He was a good batsman and useful bowler, being originally fast, but afterwards taking to lobs. In 1911-12 he was manager of the English team which visited Australia. He will, however, always be best remembered for the splendid work he did for Kent County Cricket, his official association with the Club extending from 1898 to 1923. As manager of the team he rendered capital service, and his assistance in the arrangement of the various Kent festivals had much to do with their smooth working. He was the founder of the Tonbridge Week.

PLATTEN, THE REV. THOMAS EDWARD, born on April 12, 1842, died in the Cathedral Close, Norwich, aged 81. He was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1859 and 1860, and in the latter year, when the match was revived, scored 3 and 12 against Rugby. He was considered to be a batsman with a good style and a fair change bowler, but he did not gain a place in the University team whilst at Oxford. From 1872 until 1913 he was Rector of Hindringham.

RAE, MR. EDWARD, who introduced the game into Russian Lapland, died at Birkenhead on June 26, aged 76.

ROGERS, PETER, a member of a well-known cricketing family, was born on November 7, 1865, and died at Minehead on August 4. For many years he was a very successful slow bowler for Oxfordshire, and he was also a good coach at the University. For twenty years he was groundsman at St. John's College, Oxford, having been engaged previously at Cambridge.

RUTLEY, MR. HARRY, who died at Toronto on June 25, aged 78, was Vice-President of the Toronto Albion C.C. and donor of the Rutley Cup, played for by clubs comprising the Toronto Junior Cricket Council, of which organization he was also Vice-President. Mr. Rutley was born in London and educated at Harrow and Cambridge, but was not in either eleven.

SAVIGNY, MR. J. H., who was found dead on the banks of the Lefroy River, where he had gone fishing, at Bishopsbourne, near launceston, on February 11, was for several years one of the leading batsmen of Tasmania. He was aged 56 at the time of his death. For launceston against Cornwall in December, 1901, he made 106 in his first innings and 153 in his second. When he scored 164 not out v. England at launceston, in 1903-4, he and O. H. Douglas made 202 together for the first wicket. This was his best feat in first-class cricket, and he hit twenty-one 4's and was missed when 33 during the five hours his innings lasted.

SMITH, MR. ARTHUR, born at Hurstpierpoint on May 26, 1851, died at Amberley, in Sussex, on March 8. He was younger brother of the late Mr. C. H. Smith, and himself played in twenty matches for Sussex between 1874 and 1880, scoring 91 runs with an average of 3.95 and taking sixty-three wickets for 17.68 runs each. His bowling was left-hand medium-paced with considerable break. He was not in the Eleven whilst at Brighton College.

SMITH, MR. JOHN HERBERT, of Clifton Hall, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, who died on October 2, aged 55, was in the Repton Eleven and that of New College, Oxford, from 1888 until 1890. He was a member of the M.C.C., Authentics, Incogniti and Derbyshire Friars, and served for some years on the Committee of the Derbyshire County C.C., of which Club he was also a Vice-President.

SOMERS-COCKS, MR. ARTHUR, a Manchester man by birth, died at Barbados on February 9, aged 54. His early education was received at Manchester Grammar School, and whilst at Oxford he was a member of the Oriel XI and played in the Seniors' match, but did not obtain his Blue. In February, 1892, however, he represented his University at Association football. At cricket he was a splendid field at slip and a useful medium-to-fast bowler. For Barbados between 1894-5 and 1901-2 he obtained fifty-two wickets for 1,002 runs, and against A. Priestley's team in 1896-7 performed the hat-trick. When R.S. Lucas's team scored 369 in 1894-5 he had an analysis of seven for 99, while two years later, at Kingston, he took five wickets for 19 runs against Jamaica. His most successful season was probably that of 1896-7, during which he obtained 137 wickets for less than eleven runs each. He was a schoolmaster by profession, and became Headmaster of Harrison College, Barbados.

STEVENS, MR. JOHN ELGAR, who was born in 1875, died in April, aged 48. He was a good batsman, driving particularly well, a bowler who varied his pace cleverly, and in 1891 and three following years was in the Sherborne Eleven, being captain in 1894. In 1892 he was first in batting with 17.80, and in the next two seasons first, his average being 36.06 in 1893 and 37.35 in 1894. His highest innings for the School was 161 not out v. Downton College in 1893. He did not obtain his Blue for Oxford, but he played successfully for Wiltshire for many years, and against Surrey 2nd XI at the Oval in 1898 scored 214 in his second innings. He won the Public Schools Boxing Championship at Aldershot, was a good Rugby footballer, and a keen huntsman and steeplechaser.

TAYLOR, MR. ALFRED DANIEL, who was born in London on July 30, 1872, died at Hove, in Sussex, on March 8. He was a well-known writer on the game and at the time of his death possessed the largest library on cricket which had ever been collected. Among his best-known books were The Catalogue of Cricket Literature--a model compilation and the standard work on the subject-- Annals of Lord's and History of the M.C.C., histories of the Hastings and Cheltenham Festivals, and (published posthumously) The Story of a Cricket Picture (the well-known Kent v. Sussex engraving published by Mason). He was also the author of several books and pamphlets on the game in Sussex which will prove most valuable when the history of that county's cricket comes to be written. He was known as The Cricketologist, a title conferred on him by the late G. R. Sims.

TOSETTI, MR. GILBERT, born on August 1, 1879, died at Eldoret, Ussin Gishu Plateau, British East Africa, on April 16. He will be recalled as a former member of the Essex team, for which his best performance was an innings of 132 not out, made in three and three-quarter hours, against Lancashire at Manchester in 1902. He was brother of the late Major Douglas Tosetti, who fell in action in March, 1918, whilst serving with the Royal Berkshire Regiment.

TOWNSHEND, THE REV. CANON WILLIAM, died on July 19, at Kirkby Mallory Rectory. Mr. Townshend was a batsman who scarcely fulfilled the high hopes entertained of him in his school days. At Rossall he was, with good reason, regarded as the best bat the school had produced barring F. W. Wright. In 1867 when Rossall met the Old Rossalians he caused quite a sensation by getting two separate hundreds--a feat never accomplished before except by W. lambert in 1817--his scores being 100 and 146. For all that he was on the beaten side, the Old Rossalians--for whom F. W. Wright, the captain, made 123 not out and 36--winning by three wickets. At Oxford Mr. Townshend was in the eleven in 1870, 1871 and 1872, taking part in three of the most memorable of the University matches at Lord's. His scores were 0 and 1; 22 and 6; and 20 and 0. Three times in six innings he was beaten by the tremendous pace of W. N. Powys' bowling. Mr. Townshend was in the Rossall eleven four years-- 1865 to 1868, being captain in 1867 and 1868. His great year for the school was 1867 when, according to Scores and Biographies, he made 1,179 runs in twenty innings, three of them not out, giving an average of 69. In succession he scored 100 and 146 v. Old Rossalians, 104 v. Bury, 81 v. Eccles, and 136 v. Cheshire. He assisted Herefordshire between 1878 and 1881, and Leicestershire in 1883 and 1884. He was born at Sehore, Bhopal, in Central India, on November 16, 1849.--S.H.P.

TWISLETON-WYKEHAM-FIENNES, THE REV. THE HON. WINGFIELD STRATFORD, born at Adlesthorp, in Gloucestershire, on May 1, 1834, died at Broughton Castle, Banbury, on October 10, in his 90th year. He was the fourth son of Frederick, 16th Baron Saye and Sele. Scores and Biographies (4-289) said of him: Is a sharp quick hitter and bowls round-armed of a moderate speed with a pretty delivery. In his four Public School matches for Winchester in 1851 and 1852 against Harrow and Eton he made 63 runs in eight innings and took fifteen wickets. Obtaining his Blue for Oxford in 1856, he appeared three times against Cambridge, scoring 47 runs in five innings and taking fourteen wickets. His best bowling feat in a match of note was to take eight wickets in an innings for 56 runs against M. C. C. and Ground at Oxford in 1856, but for 22 of Hungerford Park v. The England XI in 1854 he had an analysis of nine for 23 in a total of 70, his victims including Julius Cæsar, Anderson, Parr, Caffyn, H. H. Stephenson and Guy. For I Zingari v. Liverpool in 1860 he made 20 not out and 109 not out, the only other double-figure score in the second innings being 21 by Capt. F. H. Bathurst; he claimed 109 of the 160 made from the bat. In another match at Liverpool he took five wickets with consecutive balls. His county cricket was played for Herefordshire and Oxfordshire. His elder brother, Mr. C. B., was also in the Eleven whilst at Winchester.

TYLDESLEY, JAMES DARBYSHIRE, born at Ashton-in-Makerfield on August 10, 1889, died in a nursing home at Bolton whilst under an anæsthetic on January 31. An elder brother of Richard Tyldesley, he was tried for Lancashire as a fast bowler in 1910, but did not become a regular member of the side until two years later. He did the hat-trick against Derbyshire at Manchester in 1920 and v. Worcestershire on the same ground in 1922, at one period of the latter game taking five wickets for 9 runs. His three hundreds for the county were all made at Old Trafford--101 not out v. Warwickshire in 1919, 112 v. Surrey in 1921, and 112 not out v. Leicestershire in 1922. Against Yorkshire at Sheffield, in 1914, he carried out his bat for 62 and took eight wickets. In September last a match was played between Lancashire and the Bolton League for the benefit of his family.

VALLANCE, MR. HARCOURT IVO AYMER, born on April 10, 1896, died at Cheney Hill, Sittingbourne, on June 5. An attractive batsman he was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1912 and 1913, his best performance in the Public Schools matches being to make 6 and 45 not out against Rugby in 1912. He did not get his Blue for Cambridge.

VOULES, REV. STIRLING COOKSLEY died in London on May 6. Entering the Church just after he left Oxford in 1866, Mr. Voules had rather a brief career in first class cricket, but he never lost his interest in the game and almost to the end of his long life he was frequently seen at Lord's. He was born at Middle Chinnock in Somerset on the 4th of January, 1843. Educated at Marlborough, he was in the eleven for four years-- 1859 to 1862--and had an excellent record. Indeed among the Marlborough cricketers of his time he was no doubt the best all round man--a free hitting batsman, a good fast bowler and a capital field. He played for the first time at Lord's in 1859 for Marlborough against the M.C.C. and by scoring 33 and taking four wickets in a one-day match gave clear proof of his ability. Whilst still at Marlborough, he played for Gentlemen of the South against Gentlemen of the North at the Oval in 1862. Going up to Oxford he gained his Blue as a Freshman, and had the very rare experience of being on the winning side in the big match at Lord's for four years in succession. It was to the victory in 1863 that Voules chiefly contributed, taking seven wickets--five of them bowled down--in Cambridge's second innings, at a cost of only 26 runs. Voules's own scores in the four matches were small--24 and 21 were the best--but in 1864 he stayed in with R. A. H. Mitchell at a very critical time and helped to turn the fortunes of a game that had seemed likely to be won for Cambridge by T. S. Curteis's splendid bowling. Mr. Voules was picked for Gentlemen v. Players at Lord's in 1863 and 1864 but found himself each year on a hopelessly beaten side. On the wickets at Lord's in those two seasons the Players' fast bowlers were irresistible. Mr. Voules played for the Eighteen Veterans against the Gentlemen of M.C.C. in the Centenary Week at Lord's in 1887, scoring 29 and not out 22.--S.H.P.

WALDOCK, MR. HAROLD FRANCIS, who died at Colombo on September 4, aged 24, was in the Uppingham XI in 1916 and 1917 and obtained his Rugby Blue for Oxford.

WALKDEN, MR. GEORGE GODFREY, born on March 10, 1883, died in Derby Infirmary on May 17, as the result of a motor-cycling accident near Risley. His name will be found in the Derbyshire Eleven in 1905 and 1906.

WEBB, SIDNEY, who was born at Brompton, in Middlesex, on February 1, 1874, died at Ilford on April 4. For a few seasons he was successful as a right-hand medium-paced bowler, but it cannot be said that he ever took quite the place in the game that seemed likely. He played for Middlesex in 1897 and 1898, and in his first match for the County--against Notts at Trent Bridge--took ten wickets for 101 runs, seven of them in the first innings for 56. Between 1899 and 1903 he appeared for Lancashire, and among his various feats for that side may be mentioned his seven for 12 runs v. Hampshire at Manchester in 1900, eight for 36 v. M. C. C. at Lord's and seven for 17 v. Kent, both in 1902. Altogether he took 270 wickets for Lancashire for 18.59 runs each. Twice he bowled unchanged through both innings of his opponents--v. Hampshire in 1900 and v. Kent a year later, in each case at Old Trafford. He joined the ground-staff at Manchester in June, 1897, after engagements at Newport (Mon.) and with Somerset County (a year and a half) at Taunton.

WINTER, MR. GERALD ESDALE, born in London on November 29, 1876, died there on January 17. He was a capital hard-hitting batsman and a useful lob-bowler, and played for Winchester in 1895, for Cambridge in 1898 and 1899, and for Middlesex in 1900. His best feats in matches of note were performed for the University. Against Sussex at Hove in 1898 he took ten wickets for 93 runs and scored 80 out of 108 in less than seventy minutes, and the same season made 142 against Liverpool and District. A year later, whilst playing against Surrey at the Oval, he claimed 84 of the 89 runs added with E. R. Wilson for the third wicket. In 1898 he visited America as a member of P. F. Warner's team.

YOUNG, MR. HARRY ALFRED, born in London on December 30, 1861, died in New York City on February 5. He founded the Metropolitan Life C.C. and played with that club and St. George's in the New York Cricket Association. In 1897 he was President of the Association mentioned.

Particulars of the following Deaths in 1922 were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN'S ALMANACKfor 1923.

EARLE, THE REV. WALTER, for long a House-Master at Uppingham, died on October 2, 1922, aged 83. He was a member of the Uppingham teams of 1855 and two following years, and later played for the Free Foresters.

COOCH BEHAR, THE MAHARAJA OF (RAJ RAJENDRA NARAYAN), died in London on December 20, 1922, his thirty-sixth birthday. He was a keen supporter of the game in India.

GOSTLING, COL. ERNEST VICTOR, D.S.O., who died at Felixstowe on December 30, 1922, aged 50, was in the Eleven whilst at Framlingham. At Cambridge he was captain of the Caius College team in 1894 and also obtained his Blue for Association football.

LEVERS, MR. WALTER CHARLES SIDNEY, who died in Auckland, New Zealand, on November 10, 1922, aged about 56, was a good, hard-hitting batsman and an excellent wicket-keeper. He played for Wellington against the Australian Team of 1896, Auckland, Hawke's Bay, etc., and was at one time Hon. Secretary of the Wellington Cricket Association. A Nottingham-born man, he played for the XXII Colts against the County at Trent Bridge in 1886, but met with no success.

LEWIS, MR. PERCY, born at Hamilton, in Tasmania, on March 14, 1864, died in Melbourne on November 29, 1922. He was a sound batsman and good wicket-keeper, but, being contemporary with J. McC. Blackham, had few opportunities of distinguishing himself in great matches. For the East Melbourne C.C. he scored 5,408 runs with an average of 38.50, his largest innings being 237 against Fitzroy in 1883-84. At the early age of fourteen he was chosen for XXII of Ballarat against Lord Harris's England team and scored 21 and 28.

NORMINGTON, JONAS, born in May, 1845, died on December 15, 1922, aged 77. He was a very well-known club cricketer in Yorkshire and Lancashire for many years, and for thirty seasons, during twenty of which he captained the side, assisted the Bingley C.C. His skill as a wicket-keeper caused him to be picked in various matches against odds played in this country by early Australian teams.

PUNCHARD, MR. THOMAS WILLIAM, of the Sedburgh XI's of 1900 and 1901, died at Lancaster on November 25, 1922, aged 40. In 1914 he was captain of the Kendal C.C. and he played subsequently for the Lancaster C.C. His name will also be found in the Westmorland Eleven.

REDWOOD, MAJOR ALLEN CHRISTIAN, who was born in Lancaster County (Va.) on June 19, 1844, died at Asherville, N.C., on December 24, 1922. As early as 1859 he was playing with the Maryland Juniors at Baltimore and two years later with the Neophyte C.C. of Brooklyn. Later he was associated with the New Jersey Athletic Club. In the Civil War he was badly wounded at Mechanicville and Gettysburg whilst serving with the 55th Virginia Infantry Field Brigade, Stonewall Jackson's Corps.

SAVIGNY, MR. WILLIAM HENRY, who died in Sydney on August 6, 1922, aged 58, was a capital batsman and for some time was prominent in Tasmanian cricket. For twenty-six years he was master at the Sydney Grammar School, where a memorial table to his memory was unveiled on March 23, 1923.

SOUTHALL, EDWARD, who died at Slough on December 20, 1922, aged 56, had played for Yorkshire 2nd XI and Buckinghamshire, being above the average as a batsman. For many years he had done useful coaching work at Eton College.

© John Wisden & Co