(a) Automatic First-Class Matches
The following matches of three or more days duration should automatically be considered first-class:
- County Championship matches. (ii)
- Official representative tourist matches from ICC full member countries, unless specially excluded. (iii)
- MCC v any first-class county. (iv)
- Oxford v. Cambridge and either University against first-class counties. (v)
- Scotland v. Ireland.
(b) Excluded from First-Class Status
The following matches of three or more days duration should not normally be accorded first-class status:
- County friendly matches. (ii)
- Matches played by Scotland or Ireland, other than their annual match against each other. (iii)
- Unofficial tourist matches, unless circumstances are exceptional. (iv)
- MCC v. Oxford/ Cambridge. (v)
- Matches involving privately raised teams, unless included officially in a touring team's itinerary.
(c) Consideration of Doubtful Status
Matches played by unofficial touring teams of exceptional ability can be considered in advance and decisions taken accordingly.
Certain other matches comprising 22 recognised first-class cricketers might also be considered in advance.
© John Wisden & Co