Played at Georgetown, February 14, 15, 16, 18.--Compared with the two previous contests, the third Test proved a somewhat featureless affair and ended quietly in a draw. Declaring their second innings, England set West Indies to get 203 runs to win but, as less than two hours remained for play, a definite result never appeared probable. Wyatt, on winning the toss, this time decided to bat. Rain delayed the start until after lunch and then a keen and varied attack, well supported in the field, kept Wyatt and Townsend so subdued that they took close upon an hour and a half over an opening stand of 36. Smith, promoted in the batting order, followed with a grand display of hard hitting. On-driving a ball from Constantine for six, he followed with two similar hits at the expense of Hylton and R. S. Grant. Out in attempting a further six, he scored in ten minutes all the 25 runs added by the second wicket. Wyatt's patient innings ended quickly next day, but Paine, sent in overnight to play out time, defended stubbornly and Hammond, if not specially comfortable against the fast bowlers, showed restraint till Martindale very smartly threw down his wicket. The fourth partnership yielded 80 runs and Paine stayed in all more than three hours. Like their predecessors, Hendren and Leyland refused to take risks, at one period occupying twenty-five minutes over three runs. Following tea, taken with the total 198 for five wickets, the game took a startling turn. Despite an injured leg, Hylton enjoyed an inspired spell with the ball and, Martindale also finding his best form, the innings was finished off for another 18 runs. Like their opponents, the West Indies batsmen were mostly in subdued mood, G. C. Grant staying as long as seventy minutes for 16 runs. Headley proved an exception, and, with the aid of seven fours, hit up 53 in an hour and a half. In the end, however the side collapsed in much the same way as did England the previous day, the last five batsmen being disposed of after tea for 27 runs. For their lead of 42, England owed most to Hollies who, with his leg-breaks and occasional googly, took seven wickets for a fraction over seven runs each. When England went in again, Constantine, bowling at a great pace, sent back, in the course of 16 overs, three men for nine runs,but Wyatt and Hendren, batting doggedly, averted a complete breakdown. After Wyatt's declaration, Constantine and Neblett sacrificed their wickets in attempting to force the game, and then the West Indies fell back upon defence.

© John Wisden & Co