Second Test match

South Africa v England 1930-31

Played at Cape Town, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, January 1, 2, 3, 5. Drawn. Although extending over four full days, the second Test match, played on the Newlands ground, resulted in a draw, England, after following-on 163 behind, leading by only 89 when the game was abandoned. South Africa made three changes in their eleven, Deane (coming in as captain), Taylor and Bell taking the places of Curnow, Viljoen and Newson. The England team was unaltered but Duckworth tearing a ligament in his hand, Hammond - troubled by a septic foot - kept wicket on the second day and the second innings ended with nine men out - although Duckworth, had the position been desperate, might have batted. South Africa, in scoring 513 for eight wickets by tea time on Friday, put together their highest total in a Test match, their previous best scores having been 506 against Australia in 1911 and 482 against England at the Oval in 1929. Mitchell and Siedle also established a record, their stand of 260 at the start of the innings far surpassing anything done by an opening pair of batsmen for South Africa. The inability of the England bowlers to achieve any success until near the close of the first day caused considerable surprise. The turf pitch seemed likely to favour England but the ball always came along at an easy pace and only accurate length kept down the runs. Siedle, splendidly caught at mid-off, showed more freedom than Mitchell who gave a chance with the total 172, and stayed until on the second morning the total reached 299. Taylor, in scoring the third century of the innings, gave, during a stand with Catterall that realised 148 runs, the most attractive batting display for South Africa.

Hammond - despite his handicap - and Wyatt made 75 together and, except when Leyland, Turnbull and Chapman fell in quick succession - half the side being out for 214 - runs came consistently. Hammond did not require a runner during the second part of his innings which ended at 120. Hendren batted admirably, and was out unluckily - bowled off his arm. Voce, hitting freely, and Peebles put on 38 but the last two wickets fell at one total and England, 163 behind, batted again. Hammond and Wyatt got through forty minutes before stumps were drawn, some false strokes falling harmless but actual failures to hold catches on the last day spoiled South Africa's prospect of winning. Cameron and Mitchell each missed Hendren when eleven and that batsman, steadying down, was mainly responsible for England escaping a reverse. Hammond occupied three and a half hours in scoring 65 out of 152 and Leyland helped to raise the total to 105 but, after the first three stands, Hendren, avoiding risks and yet scoring at a fair pace, alone stood between England and defeat. The arrears were cleared off with six wickets in hand and the game saved. Catterall went on at 218 and took three wickets cheaply but this collapse occurred too late to help South Africa to victory.

© John Wisden & Co