North v. South, 1877

Tom Hearne's match

Played at Lord's, Whit Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, June 5, 6, 7.

THE MARYLEBONE CLUB'S generously given permission for a three day's match to be played at Lord's for TOM HEARNE'S benefit, was a valuable and just acknowledgement of the old un's many season's zealous labours and excellent behavior in the Club's service. The match arranged was North v. South, to be played on Whit Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, a valuable concession, the compliment being greatly enhanced by the Club leaving the selection of the sides, and other arrangements solely to Hearne, with the single (and wise) stipulation that the daily admission charge to the ground during the match should not be more than the ordinary 6d. On this satisfactory ground - work Hearne's many friends worked heartily to ensure his match being a success, but none worked more willingly, so unremittingly, or more successfully, than Pearce, the ground superintendent at Lord's whose long and persevering labours resulted in the very best wickets that were played on at the old ground during 1876, or in any other year; wickets that, despite the wet weather, wore so well, and played so truthfully to the last, that they were the main reason why the match went into a third day, and thereby increased the value of the benefit by some £70. The score will tell how ably the sides were represented, the willing participation in the match by most of the front rank Gentlemen Cricketers of the period affording pleasant proof of Hearne's popularity among the best supporters of the game. The weather (told about elsewhere) was not favourable, nevertheless the gate transactions resulted in the following satisfactory form:-

6369 paid.4602 paid.2807 paid.
Cash received £159 9s 6d.Cash received £115 17s 0d.Cash received £70 8s 6d.

In Bell's life of July 15th, a Dr. and Cr. account up to date was published, wherein a balance of £308 5s. was credited to Hearne; this was, of course, exclusive of his subscription lists, which were to remain open throughout the season. The same opportunity was taken by Hearne to publicly express His thanks to the Gentlemen of the Marylebone Cricket Club for their kindness, and to the cricketing public for the handsome support they accorded him. Now for our tale of the match.

The weather during the fore half of that Whit Monday was discouraging to Hearne and his friends, for from nine o'clock until past eleven heavy rain fell, and when it ceased it was dull, rain-threatening, and dispiriting; nevertheless, visitors flocked so freely on to the famous ground that it was not long before the old fashioned Whit Monday ring three and four deep was formed around the cricketers, the new embankment seats were filled to repletion, the Pavilion was largely attended by members, the Grand Stand was well patronized, the security of the then unfinished skeleton stand was severely and satisfactorily tested, the top of Dark's garden wall was (at one time) covered by men, and, when time was up that day, the tell-tales examined, and the cash counted, it was pleasantly found that over 6000 had paid for admission, the smiles then on Hearne's countenance plainly indicating that he was satisfied with what was inside the little black bag he was carrying away from the pay box.

At 12.25 the match was commenced by Mr. I. D. Walker and Mr. W. Grace starting the South batting, to the bowling of Alfred Shaw and Hill. When 20 overs had been bowled 34 runs had been scored (23 from Hill, 10 from Shaw, and one l b). At 45 Hill gave way for Morley, and when 71 runs had been made from 44 overs, Morley bowled Mr. Grace for 47 - a very fine innings that included three 4's and 15 singles. When 5 more runs had been made Mr. I. D. Walker was had at cover slip for 29, a couple of square-leg hits to the Tennis Court wall being his chief hits. At 79 Jupp was grandly stumped by old George Pinder, and then with Mr. Buller and Mr. F. Penn batting, Shaw and Morley, and subsequently Hill, bowling, we enjoyed some rare cricket with ball and bat. They luncheoned at 2.30, 84 overs having then been bowled, 97 runs scored, and 3 wickets lost. Play was resumed at 5 past 3, and when 111 had been scored, Mr. Penn was very finely caught out at mid-on by Greenwood for 16, made by 2 singles, a 2, and three 4's (a cut, and two clean hard hits to square-leg). Lord Harris then played in good form and stayed with Mr. Buller until 166 was booked; then Hill bowled his lordship for 23, a cut for 4 from Hill, and a square-leg hit for 4 from Clayton being his principal hits. Then Mr. Buller and Mr. C. E. Green played the score to 184, when the cricket was stayed be heading rainfall from 4.20 until 6.10 when, notwithstanding the wickets were wet, they went at it again; but at 194 Hill clean bowled Mr. Green for 19, at 210 Pooley was bowled for 13, at 215 Lillywhite was l b w, and at 233 Southerton was bowled; then play ceased for the day, Mr. Buller not out 65 - a splendid batting display, played in a queer light, on soft wickets, and against some of the best bowling in England. Mr. Buller's hits included eight 4's, four of them successive hits; five of the eight were leg-hits - indeed his leg-hitting was the finest feature of his very fine innings. The applause on Mr. Buller's return was hearty all round the ground; it came earnestly and emphatically from the gentlemen at the Pavilion. So ended the first day's play, and although a few of the six thousand roared out play, play it out, play out the innings, and who would doubtless have looked on such play with pleasure until the gas was lighted, it is very certain that none of the many thousands who at subsequently played matches put down their 1s., and 2s. 6d., witnessed such splendid all round cricket as was played at Lord's throughout that first day of Tom Hearne's match.

On the Tuesday it rained on and off up to noon; then the weather cleared, and bright, warm sunshine made the afternoon enjoyable. The attendance was good, but not up to Monday's numbers; nevertheless, there was a capital ring formed by Tom's friends, who came from the suburbs and country in troops. The wickets wore out and out well, and there was another day of thorough first-class cricket played.

At 12.20 Mr. Buller and Mr. Shand were at wickets to conclude the South's innings. Mr. Buller added two singles to his score, and Mr. Shand made 3; then Hill bowled the latter, and the innings was over for 238 runs, Mr. Buller not out 67, eight wickets having fallen and 162 runs scored during his stay at wickets.

Mr. Hornby and Daft commenced the North batting at 7 minutes to one, the bowlers being Lillywhite and Southerton. Twenty-seven runs had been made from 14 overs when Mr. Hornby brought out roars of cheers by hitting the second, third, and fourth balls of one over of Lillywhite's, all to square-leg for 4 each; this hitting brought on Mr. Grace bowling, and from the second ball that gentleman delivered Mr. Hornby was had at cover-point for 29, made in 28 minutes, by 4 singles, one 2, one 3, and four 4's (four square-leg hits). Daft and Lockwood then worked the score from 39 to 74, when - to get another wicket before luncheon - Mr. Grace gave up the ball to Mr. Shand (a fast left-hand bowler), who began with a wide ball, for which 4 was scored; his fourth ball Lockwood drove for 8, but with the third ball - a full pitch - of his third over Mr. Shand bowled Daft for 23, an innings that had taken him just one hour and 36 minutes to play. Thereupon they luncheoned, the score at 87 for 2 wickets, Lockwood not out 29. On resuming play Mr. Shand finished his over, Greenwood hitting the only ball he bowled to leg for 3; then Mr. W. Grace went on again, and with successive balls of his first over Lockwood and Selby were settled, the score at 90; Lockwood's 29 was a careful bit of skilled batting, made by two 3's, five 2's, and 13 singles. Greenwood and Wyld then made so firm a stand, that, despite Lillywhite, Mr. Grace, Southerton, and Mr. Shand bowled, the score was increased to 153, when Pooley at wicket settled Greenwood for 35, and at 161 Mr. Shand bowled both Clayton and Alfred Shaw. Hill hit freely for 17, but at 193 he was bowled. At 205 Wyld ran himself out after playing good cricket for 43, and when 5 more runs had been made a catch at long-field settled Morley, and finished the innings for 210 - time, 9 minutes past 5. Mr. W. Grace's first 20 overs were bowled for 10 runs and 3 wickets (two in one over); his last 21 overs cost 56 runs for one wicket.

With 28 runs in hand Mr. I. D. Walker and Mr. W. G. Grace commenced the South's second innings at 5.30, and so great was the contrast in their run-getting that when 50 minutes had passed away, and 50 runs had been made from 32 overs, Mr. Walker was caught out at wicket for 8, Mr. Grace having made 40. Jupp then went in; he and Mr. Grace had brought the score to 61 when a quarter of an hour's hard rain stayed play. On the rain ceasing they went at it again, but both were quickly settled, as at 64 Mr. Grace was l b w, and at 65 Jupp was easily stumped. Mr. Penn and Lord Harris then made the score 72, or 90 on when time was up, and so ended the second day's play, Mr. W. Grace having played very finely for his 48, twenty-six of which runs, including three fine 4's, and a 3, were made from Alfred Shaw's bowling.

Wednesday was a bright breezy day; the wickets continued to play surprisingly well, the attendance was good, and as the South had lost 3 wickets and were only 90 runs on, the prospect of a good match and an enjoyable day's cricket was anticipated and realised. Play was renewed at 5 past 12, and when, in Hill's first over Lord Harris drove one ball very finely to the off for 4, and the succeeding ball to the on for 3, the applause told that the lungs of lookers-on were all right, and that good cricket would on that day meet with a warm welcome. The score increased to 107 when Pinder settled Mr. Penn for 15, and at 124 Hill bowled down the middle stump of Mr. Buller's wicket; then as half the South wickets were down the match loomed somewhat hopefully for the North, but on Mr. C. E. Green going to Lord Harris's aid, severe hitting and rapid scoring caused the match to look well for the South again, as the score was at 195 before they were separated by Alfred Shaw bowling Lord Harris for 69, the highest score in the match, and a splendid display of fine, determined, punishing hitting, that included seven 4's, two of them hard drives to the Pavilion; it is true Daft at mid-off missed Lord Harris when he had made 36, but for all that his lordship's innings was a fine one. Mr. Green was captured at slip; his 49 was another good hitting display, his best hits being five 4's - one a superb on-drive from Clayton that sent the ball on to the Grand Stand seats, another being a sharp hard cut from Morley; the score was at 219 for 7 wickets when Mr. Green left, at 224 when Lillywhite was out, and at 226 when Southerton was out; then Mr. Shand went in, and by two 4's, &c., rapidly knocked up 17, when Hill bowled him with a ball that put all three stumps out of position, and so was the South's second innings ended at 2.25 for 246 runs, the fine, free hitting of Lord Harris and Mr. Green, and the superb fielding of Mr. Hornby having mightily delighted the spectators; especially did they roar applause when a ball driven to the Skeleton Stand was grandly strode after by Mr. Hornby from deep square-leg to long-on, he out-pacing and passing in splendid sprinting form two other fieldsmen who were pegging away at their best pace to get the ball. Aye, that was a splendid bit of fielding worth walking miles to witness.

It was 8 minutes past 3 when Mr. Hornby and Daft commenced the North's second innings, the bowlers being Lillywhite and Mr. Grace; 5 runs had been made from 6 overs when Daft was had at wicket for 3; then Lockwood went in, and, with Mr. Hornby, made the stand of the match, inasmuch as before they were parted they had added 112 runs to the score, and, by their free, determined hitting, defiant and successful sharp running and rapid scoring, sent the lookers-on half crazy with delight. From one over bowled by Mr. W. Grace, Mr. Hornby hit a 2, a 4, and a 3, and Lockwood a 2 from the fourth ball. When 20 overs had been bowled 50 runs had been scored, and, despite Lillywhite, Mr. Grace, Southerton, and Mr. Shand took a turn at bowling, the 100 runs were made in one hour and twenty-two minutes, the hoisting of the hundred eliciting shouts of cheers from the delighted thousands. And so they rattled up the score to 117 when both batsmen were done for, Lockwood being bowled by Lillywhite, and Mr. Hornby captured at slip. Mr. Hornby's 58 was highest score for the North; he made 25 of his runs in 22 minutes, and when 50 were scored he had made 36; he was first man in and third out, and his hits included five 4's and four 3's. Lockwood's 49 was a very fine, and for him, a very busy hitting display, that included six 4's (two cuts, two leg-hits, and two drives) and four 3's. Comparatively, there was not much done after Mr. Hornby and Lockwood left. Greenwood was had at cover-point at 139. When 4 more runs had been made a clever left-hand catch by Mr. I. D. Walker at mid-off settled Selby for 20. Clayton made a 2, two 4's, and a single from one over of Lillywhite's, and in all 13, when a bailer from Southerton put an end to his little game; Shaw was had at slip, Wyld fell and was run out, Hill had made a 4, two 2's, and six singles when he was stumped, and then, at 5 minutes past 6, Lillywhite c and b Morley, and so ended the innings for 189, the South Eleven being the winners by 85 runs of Tom Hearne's match, a match that will be long and pleasantly remembered by all who witnessed it for the first-class all round cricket played throughout those memorable three days at Lord's. Score-

© John Wisden & Co